Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shane McGowan dead 11:58 - Nov 30 with 7463 viewsconnell10

RIP a legend

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Shane McGowan dead on 12:11 - Nov 30 with 5606 viewssoops

Saw the Pogues quite a few times in the 80s - what a unique act they were and the gigs were charged with so much excitement. Amazing Shane lasted this long to be fair, but RIP Shane - thanks for the music and the memories.
Shane McGowan dead on 12:15 - Nov 30 with 5582 viewsconnell10

Shane McGowan dead on 12:11 - Nov 30 by soops

Saw the Pogues quite a few times in the 80s - what a unique act they were and the gigs were charged with so much excitement. Amazing Shane lasted this long to be fair, but RIP Shane - thanks for the music and the memories.

Same here mate awesome gigs đź‘Ť

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Shane McGowan dead on 12:18 - Nov 30 with 5551 viewsHayesender

Not a surprise, but RIP all the same.

One of my favourite songs of all time

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Shane McGowan dead on 12:25 - Nov 30 with 5518 viewsMrSheen

Shane McGowan dead on 12:11 - Nov 30 by soops

Lucky enough to see them early on at the Mean Fiddler in Harlesden. RIP Shane, and kids, don’t try this at home
Shane McGowan dead on 12:30 - Nov 30 with 5505 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Growing up in an Irish household as I did, I never liked Irish music. In fact, I can't stand most of it, and that includes The Pogues!

That said, there are of course some feckin belting songs from the emerald isle and for me, one such song is The Pogues', 'Sally Maclennane' or, as I like to call it: the Irish 'Club Tropicana'.

RIP Shane

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Shane McGowan dead on 12:31 - Nov 30 with 5486 viewsRs_Holy

thanks for the memories Shane ... and special thanks for the best Chrimbles Song of all time ... RIP
Shane McGowan dead on 12:32 - Nov 30 with 5490 viewssprocket

A life well lived .RIP Shane.
Shane McGowan dead on 12:41 - Nov 30 with 5444 viewsMrSheen

Shane McGowan dead on 12:30 - Nov 30 by PlanetHonneywood

Growing up in an Irish household as I did, I never liked Irish music. In fact, I can't stand most of it, and that includes The Pogues!

That said, there are of course some feckin belting songs from the emerald isle and for me, one such song is The Pogues', 'Sally Maclennane' or, as I like to call it: the Irish 'Club Tropicana'.

RIP Shane

Every time I park in Dalling Road before a home game I sing a burst of Dark Streets of London. Though they blurred their identity and dropped the English references as their fame grew in America, they were very clearly London-Irish when they started, which was part of the appeal for me.

All of the original line up were born in England, except Cait O’Riordain (Nigeria!)
Login to get fewer ads

Shane McGowan dead on 12:58 - Nov 30 with 5376 viewsloftus77

Shane McGowan dead on 12:15 - Nov 30 by connell10

Same here mate awesome gigs đź‘Ť

They certainly were. I ended up on the floor at at least one of them. Pretty sure Health & Safety would'nt allow these days.
Shane McGowan dead on 13:25 - Nov 30 with 5289 viewsRangersDave

Shane McGowan dead on 12:31 - Nov 30 by Rs_Holy

thanks for the memories Shane ... and special thanks for the best Chrimbles Song of all time ... RIP

Talking of that song...... WTF, they are both dead, and i feel old!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Shane McGowan dead on 13:25 - Nov 30 with 5288 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Shane McGowan dead on 12:41 - Nov 30 by MrSheen

Every time I park in Dalling Road before a home game I sing a burst of Dark Streets of London. Though they blurred their identity and dropped the English references as their fame grew in America, they were very clearly London-Irish when they started, which was part of the appeal for me.

All of the original line up were born in England, except Cait O’Riordain (Nigeria!)

I agree about the London-Irish culture. They were huge in London before they really hit Ireland.

When I fisrt heard them in London, I wasn't a huge fan, as I thought they leaned hard on the Paddywhackery, but I was wrong. McGowan was a superb songwriter and an extraordinary talent. The strings refrain on 'Rainy Night in Soho' breaks and makes my heart every time I hear it anew.

Suamhnais sioraĂ­, a StĂłr. Ar dheis DĂ©.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Shane McGowan dead on 13:26 - Nov 30 with 5282 viewsSimonJames

Very sad. A huge talent, that he never fully shared with the world.
RIP Shane.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Shane McGowan dead on 13:33 - Nov 30 with 5251 viewsNW10Hoop

Will raise a glass this evening, and loads of glasses at the Pogues Tribute act at the Irish Centre in a couple of weeks.

RIP Shane MacGowan.
Shane McGowan dead on 13:33 - Nov 30 with 5251 viewskingsburyR

RIP Shane.

A master song writer who lived life to the full then pushed down the gas pedal.

We've lost a talented talented man!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Shane McGowan dead on 13:39 - Nov 30 with 5222 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Shane McGowan dead on 13:25 - Nov 30 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree about the London-Irish culture. They were huge in London before they really hit Ireland.

When I fisrt heard them in London, I wasn't a huge fan, as I thought they leaned hard on the Paddywhackery, but I was wrong. McGowan was a superb songwriter and an extraordinary talent. The strings refrain on 'Rainy Night in Soho' breaks and makes my heart every time I hear it anew.

Suamhnais sioraĂ­, a StĂłr. Ar dheis DĂ©.

When you posted that beautiful story about Sinead O Connor Brian I said Shane would not live long after seeing a picture with Bruce Springsteen last year .
I played their stunning duet Haunted on a loop for days .I was playing it yesterday at work and an Irish guy walked and said I cannot believe he outlived Sinead and I said it wont be for long sadly .
Now he is gone but his suffering is over . RIP
Shane McGowan dead on 13:48 - Nov 30 with 5202 viewsbosh67

Such a shame but as soon as they released the picture of him in hospital I knew it was the end. There was nothing left of him. Great artist and songwriter. RIP

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Shane McGowan dead on 16:41 - Nov 30 with 4992 viewsDiscodroids

RIP.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Shane McGowan dead on 17:06 - Nov 30 with 4931 viewsEsox_Lucius

I saw the Pogues dozens of times in their prime and for me this says all you need to know about the Pogues and the energy at their gigs.

The grass is always greener.

Shane McGowan dead on 17:12 - Nov 30 with 4912 viewsWatfordR

I saw The Pogues so many times, and the 1988 St Patrick's Night concert at Brixton Academy is still the best gig I ever attended. The atmosphere that night, just the biggest high, the greatest rush. They were just fabulous live, like no other band you'll ever experience.

Shane wrote so many sharp and witty and romantic songs, but my favourite vocal of his was on a song he didn't write. He just sang this in a way no one else ever could. Chewed up and spat out every single word.

RIP Shane MacGowan.

[Post edited 30 Nov 2023 17:29]
Shane McGowan dead on 17:29 - Nov 30 with 4883 viewsqueensparker

RIP Shane. As a London Irish I absolutely loved The Pogues and def in my top three bands of all time. Live in the early days they were something else. Fair play to him for lasting this long, he had a good innings. His autobiography is well worth a read, he was a very smart, literate guy underneath the drinking and manky teeth.

This was the first dance at my wedding, the oboe version is just sublime

[Post edited 30 Nov 2023 17:31]
Shane McGowan dead on 17:55 - Nov 30 with 4800 viewsHamptonR

My top ten songs change and change often but Fairytale of New York is always in there.
An amazingly beautiful love song, that is also an amazingly beautiful Christmas song.

Shane wrote some wonderful words.
Shane McGowan dead on 19:01 - Nov 30 with 4699 viewsPaddyhoops

Seen them on numerous occasions. The best tribute I can pay is I was as pissed as he was when he was performing. RIP Shane . You will somewhere with Kirsty singing that great song!
Shane McGowan dead on 19:03 - Nov 30 with 4697 viewsqpr_1968

two legends gone this week, i would'nt of minded a night out with those two.
would have been pretty good company would'nt you say.

terry has had his tribute and a fantastic one it was....

so here's to shane......RIP young man.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Shane McGowan dead on 22:16 - Nov 30 with 4495 viewsBrisbaneR

FFS what week, two cornerstones of my teen years gone.

I've always thought of Rangers as having a strong Irish influence amongst our supporters, Shepherds Bush was almost a 33rd county for a few decades. Until I discovered The Pogues I struggled to understand where I was from, born in London of Irish immigrant parents, but then I learned you can be from both worlds and proud. Cockney-Celts wandering the Dark Streets of London.

And with this the romance...who doesn't want to hear someone describe them as 'the measure of my dreams'...?

What a legacy, Shane McGowan was a poet for my generation.
Shane McGowan dead on 23:03 - Nov 30 with 4448 viewsJimmyR

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024