Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Irish Unification Referendum 18:34 - Feb 7 with 5288 viewsjohnlangy

When there is a unification referendum a very strange occurrence could take place.

In the 2019 GE a huge number of natural Labour voters in the Red Wall seats voted Conservative for the very first (and hopefully last) time. And they did that in order to ‘Get Brexit Done’. They ‘lent’ the Conservatives their vote for the one specific purpose. Because they had voted for Brexit.

In Northern Ireland, in the 2016 referendum, the vote was 58% to remain. Which means that a substantial number of unionists voted for remain. So, when the Unification referendum happens it’s quite possible that a similar thing will happen as per the 2019 GE. Except in reverse.

The Red Wall voters voted Tory to get Brexit done. In NI unionists may vote for the Nationalists unification argument (lend them their vote for the one specific purpose) in order to rejoin the EU. Because they had voted remain.

An interesting thought.
Irish Unification Referendum on 18:39 - Feb 21 with 474 viewsonehunglow

Irish Unification Referendum on 16:25 - Feb 21 by Kilkennyjack

But all the people call it Derry.

So its Derry.

Also please use north of Ireland. Thank you.
NI was made up just 100 years ago.
[Post edited 21 Feb 16:28]

North of Ireland
My God, and here we are taken to viewer it's all about peace not symbols, flags, songs
Clearly the Nats are over sensitive and no wonder those in Northern Ireland, part of the UK, are sceptical
United my arse

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Irish Unification Referendum on 19:31 - Feb 21 with 450 viewsunion_jack

Irish Unification Referendum on 18:39 - Feb 21 by onehunglow

North of Ireland
My God, and here we are taken to viewer it's all about peace not symbols, flags, songs
Clearly the Nats are over sensitive and no wonder those in Northern Ireland, part of the UK, are sceptical
United my arse

I’ve just contacted my bank to tell them my account is not in the red but actually has £2m pounds in it. They say it doesn’t. Im going to keep on insisting there is.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:14 - Feb 21 with 432 viewsSullutaCreturned

Irish Unification Referendum on 19:06 - Feb 19 by Kilkennyjack

The name we use for ourselves is Cymru.

The Britain that people like me object to is the prioritisation of English culture at the expense of the cultures and languages of the celtic lands. You can and they do swap English and British in an interchangeable manner.

Look up the quote from Gwynfor Evans on the matter.

The indigenous people were welsh speaking.
You call them British.
I call them welsh.

You say they were not a nation state, i say that the way they lived and organised themselves was no more or no less than anywhere else. You believe they were a lesser people somehow.

You stick with your new King Charles and his Willy, and i will stick wanting a republic where we are modern European citizens and not on your knees subjects.

Oh where to start. Lets go with the Monarchy, only an ignoramus would think I was a fan of the Royal family, I have posted many times what I think of royalty.

The first name these islands were given, well Cymru was nowhere to be seen and the Welsh language today is very different to back then, here you go, history for dummies,

https://www.imagininghistory.co.uk/post/britain-before-the-romans

interesting that they didn't even call themselves Celts eh? Also interesting that they didn't organise themselves, no roads, no towns or cities, no armies and certainy no taxes, no organisation at all in fact.

You know that Cymru is Welsh for Wales, right?

They were not a nation state, they were seperate warring tribes with their own lands, it is historical fact but hey, you can't educate pork, so they say.

No where have I ever said they were a lesser people? You do love putting silly words in other peoples mouths.
Irish Unification Referendum on 20:28 - Feb 21 with 418 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:14 - Feb 21 by SullutaCreturned

Oh where to start. Lets go with the Monarchy, only an ignoramus would think I was a fan of the Royal family, I have posted many times what I think of royalty.

The first name these islands were given, well Cymru was nowhere to be seen and the Welsh language today is very different to back then, here you go, history for dummies,

https://www.imagininghistory.co.uk/post/britain-before-the-romans

interesting that they didn't even call themselves Celts eh? Also interesting that they didn't organise themselves, no roads, no towns or cities, no armies and certainy no taxes, no organisation at all in fact.

You know that Cymru is Welsh for Wales, right?

They were not a nation state, they were seperate warring tribes with their own lands, it is historical fact but hey, you can't educate pork, so they say.

No where have I ever said they were a lesser people? You do love putting silly words in other peoples mouths.

To be honest, i rarely get to finish your posts …. 💤

Beware of the Risen People

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:36 - Feb 21 with 406 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 17:50 - Feb 21 by union_jack

Why when the official and legal name for the area is Northern Ireland recognised by both the British and Irish governments. Not you though it seems😂.

This is why …. According to the interweb ….

‘Historically the city and county surrounding it was called Derry (well actually Doire in Irish) and the name was changed during the plantation of ulster to reflect the new colonial London guilds establishment in the city. It has been a contention pretty much ever since as to which name should be used with catholics preferring Derry and Protestants generally preferring Londonderry. This has led to it being referred to as Derry/Londonderry in many official capacities or the humorous nickname Stroke city from the stroke between the two names.

As someone from Derry in my experience in day to day use most people including Protestants just call it Derry because it’s easier unless they are trying to make a point’.

So repeat after me …. Its Derry as in Derry City …. Get it right up ye …. 💚

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:42 - Feb 21 with 405 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 18:39 - Feb 21 by onehunglow

North of Ireland
United my arse

So, just so i am clear …. The irish people are ‘over sensitive’ to the fact that a foreign power renamed their city, against the will of the locals ?

Rightio then …… ok ….

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:48 - Feb 21 with 405 viewsunion_jack

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:36 - Feb 21 by Kilkennyjack

This is why …. According to the interweb ….

‘Historically the city and county surrounding it was called Derry (well actually Doire in Irish) and the name was changed during the plantation of ulster to reflect the new colonial London guilds establishment in the city. It has been a contention pretty much ever since as to which name should be used with catholics preferring Derry and Protestants generally preferring Londonderry. This has led to it being referred to as Derry/Londonderry in many official capacities or the humorous nickname Stroke city from the stroke between the two names.

As someone from Derry in my experience in day to day use most people including Protestants just call it Derry because it’s easier unless they are trying to make a point’.

So repeat after me …. Its Derry as in Derry City …. Get it right up ye …. 💚

I was referring to ‘Northern Ireland’ not Derry Kilks.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Irish Unification Referendum on 21:12 - Feb 21 with 398 viewsonehunglow

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:48 - Feb 21 by union_jack

Kilks is on fire here

I love the lad

Brightens my day he does

Wonder if Ian Paisley jnr will be learning the words of the Rebels song ,tweeting away with lovely,reborn Michelle O’Neill

Login to get fewer ads

Irish Unification Referendum on 21:34 - Feb 21 with 381 viewsBoundy

Irish Unification Referendum on 21:12 - Feb 21 by onehunglow

Kilks is on fire here

I love the lad

Brightens my day he does

Wonder if Ian Paisley jnr will be learning the words of the Rebels song ,tweeting away with lovely,reborn Michelle O’Neill

Cant beat an old rebel song , now where did I put my blackthorn stick

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Irish Unification Referendum on 21:35 - Feb 21 with 377 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:48 - Feb 21 by union_jack

Apologies, but glad we agree on Derry.

The key part is that Ireland changed its position on the made up statelet of Northern Ireland as recently as 1999, as part of the GFA peace deal.

‘The removal of the 62-year-old territorial claim to Northern Ireland and its replacement by a commitment to the consent principle gave effect to the most dramatic change in the definition of Irish nationalism since the foundation of the Irish State’.

Thats a significant change and thats why its the people who will decide the future that they want.

Michelle O’Neill has said that she does not get "too hung up" on what she calls Northern Ireland.

Ms O’Neill, who said she uses the term “North of Ireland” but referred to “Northern Ireland” in the Assembly earlier this month, said people should be “a bit relaxed about those things”.

So thats that …. Its individual choice what term to use.

Irish Unification Referendum on 21:37 - Feb 21 with 375 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 21:12 - Feb 21 by onehunglow

Kilks is on fire here

I love the lad

Brightens my day he does

Ian senior and Martin were known as the chuckle brothers.
So almost anything is possible OHL.

When did you last visit Belfast mate ?

Irish Unification Referendum on 07:01 - Feb 22 with 339 viewsjackrmee

Irish Unification Referendum on 18:34 - Feb 21 by felixstowe_jack

Northern Ireland is the name used by the majority of the the citizens of Northern Ireland and of course the UK and the EU.

The North of Ireland was a made name used by woke people from about 5 years ago.

Wrong again not all the people call it Derry .

Just as most people in Wales refer the Brecon Beacons, Snowden, Swansea, Cardiff, Newport and of course Wales.

I’m in Ireland quite a lot. I haven’t met anyone yet, who is happy when I call it Londonderry instead of Derry.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Irish Unification Referendum on 09:22 - Feb 22 with 328 viewsonehunglow

Irish Unification Referendum on 21:37 - Feb 21 by Kilkennyjack

Ian senior and Martin were known as the chuckle brothers.
So almost anything is possible OHL.

When did you last visit Belfast mate ?

And neither would Marty the peacemaker song GSTQ.
Both had blood on their hands
Both bigots

Irish Unification Referendum on 12:00 - Feb 22 with 306 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Irish Unification Referendum on 07:01 - Feb 22 by jackrmee

I’m in Ireland quite a lot. I haven’t met anyone yet, who is happy when I call it Londonderry instead of Derry.

Most people in NI seem happy to called it Londonderry. Must be something to do with sectarianism in the Republic to want to call it Derry.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Irish Unification Referendum on 15:15 - Feb 22 with 272 viewsjohnlangy

Irish Unification Referendum on 12:00 - Feb 22 by felixstowe_jack

Most people in NI seem happy to called it Londonderry. Must be something to do with sectarianism in the Republic to want to call it Derry.

You say most NI people are happy to call the place Londonderry. If they do i'm okay with that. It's their choice. As it happens, according to wikipedia most people including protestants use Derry. But again it doesn't matter, it's their choice.

If people in the Republic want to call it Derry that's their choice. And i'm okay with that as well. Shouldn't everyone be.

You appear okay with the first while classing the second as sectarianism. I don't understand why.
Irish Unification Referendum on 15:57 - Feb 22 with 268 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Irish Unification Referendum on 15:15 - Feb 22 by johnlangy

You say most NI people are happy to call the place Londonderry. If they do i'm okay with that. It's their choice. As it happens, according to wikipedia most people including protestants use Derry. But again it doesn't matter, it's their choice.

If people in the Republic want to call it Derry that's their choice. And i'm okay with that as well. Shouldn't everyone be.

You appear okay with the first while classing the second as sectarianism. I don't understand why.

That would be all well and good if people were able to call it what they like and that would be it. But it isn’t. You call it the wrong thing and you have a baying mob at your heels.

The point still stands that it’s a remarkably petty and stupid thing to argue, fight and in some cases kill over.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Irish Unification Referendum on 16:33 - Feb 22 with 255 viewsSullutaCreturned

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:28 - Feb 21 by Kilkennyjack

To be honest, i rarely get to finish your posts …. 💤

You say that yet you answer them in full, I call BS but where you are concerned that is an ngoing trend.

Now once more for the educationally challenged, ALL borders, ALL countries are made up. When doesn't matter, 100 years, 500 years, 20 years,

South Sudan - July 2011
Montenegro - June 2006
Serbia - June 2006
East Timor/Timor-Leste - May 2002
Palau – October 1994
Eritrea – April 1993
Czech Republic – January 1993
Slovakia – January 1993
North Macedonia - September 1991
Croatia – June 1991

Should none of those countries be recognised or allowed to exist just because they are so young?
Irish Unification Referendum on 18:17 - Feb 22 with 232 viewsonehunglow

Irish Unification Referendum on 15:15 - Feb 22 by johnlangy

So they are that sensitive,names are important

Irish Unification Referendum on 18:27 - Feb 22 with 230 viewsjohnlangy

Irish Unification Referendum on 15:57 - Feb 22 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

That would be all well and good if people were able to call it what they like and that would be it. But it isn’t. You call it the wrong thing and you have a baying mob at your heels.

The point still stands that it’s a remarkably petty and stupid thing to argue, fight and in some cases kill over.

I totally agree JON. But why does felix describe it differently when people call it Derry as compared with Londonderry.
Irish Unification Referendum on 19:21 - Feb 22 with 216 viewsonehunglow

Irish Unification Referendum on 18:27 - Feb 22 by johnlangy

I totally agree JON. But why does felix describe it differently when people call it Derry as compared with Londonderry.

What people John.?
Catholics, Republicans?
I’d wager Unionist ,proud Protestants see it as they always has,ie Londonderry .
Have they changed The Londonderry Air by now ?
Eggshells

Irish Unification Referendum on 19:49 - Feb 22 with 210 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Irish Unification Referendum on 18:27 - Feb 22 by johnlangy

Basic pointless petty tribalism.

It’s so stupid when you think about it. Catholics vs Protestants they worship the same fictional guy. Yet they’ve been kicking the living shit out of each other for centuries. They should be on the same side but they’ve just got a slightly different idea of HOW they should be worshipping him. It’s all so sad pointless and pathetic.

Reminds me of the old Red Dwarf episode when Lister finds out he’s the God of the cat people and they had a massive holy war and wiped each other out because one side believed they should be wearing red hats and the other side green hats. Then he comes out with the lime “Smeg! they were meant to be blue!”

It just seems some people are just raised to hate with nothing but anger in their hearts,

Irish Unification Referendum on 19:51 - Feb 22 with 209 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 19:21 - Feb 22 by onehunglow

What people John.?
Catholics, Republicans?
I’d wager Unionist ,proud Protestants see it as they always has,ie Londonderry .
Have they changed The Londonderry Air by now ?
Eggshells

Its Derry to all the locals OHL.

Thats all that really matters.

Irish Unification Referendum on 19:56 - Feb 22 with 203 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Irish Unification Referendum on 19:51 - Feb 22 by Kilkennyjack

Its Derry to all the locals OHL.

Thats all that really matters.

It doesn’t matter though. Not really.

Irish Unification Referendum on 08:22 - Feb 23 with 160 viewsjackrmee

Irish Unification Referendum on 23:05 - Feb 12 by onehunglow

Facts are facts
Majority in the north identify as Zbritusit says do on their passports
Are they to javck them in for an Irish one
Straight question as was the one about Welsh people being forced to become English citizens
Imagine

Any British/welsh/Scottish person, is basically an English citizen, in everything apart from on paper.
We are all ruled by England.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Irish Unification Referendum on 09:03 - Feb 23 with 160 viewsonehunglow

Irish Unification Referendum on 19:49 - Feb 22 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Basic pointless petty tribalism.

It’s so stupid when you think about it. Catholics vs Protestants they worship the same fictional guy. Yet they’ve been kicking the living shit out of each other for centuries. They should be on the same side but they’ve just got a slightly different idea of HOW they should be worshipping him. It’s all so sad pointless and pathetic.

Reminds me of the old Red Dwarf episode when Lister finds out he’s the God of the cat people and they had a massive holy war and wiped each other out because one side believed they should be wearing red hats and the other side green hats. Then he comes out with the lime “Smeg! they were meant to be blue!”

It just seems some people are just raised to hate with nothing but anger in their hearts,

I used to police the Orange Lodge marches in Liverpool.There is/ was friction between Catholics and Protestants in the city .
The Lodge march saw them end up at Southport,get pyssed and fight with each other .
Badly dressed men in cheap suits bearing Orange banners followed by scruffy scrotes who hadn’t seen the inside of a church since they were “ christened”.
All in all,it was pitiful albeit much smaller marches than of yore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024