Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Torquay United in adminstration 18:39 - Feb 22 with 1432 viewsThrasher6

Very sad...a few memories on here from going there over the years
[Post edited 22 Feb 18:40]

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Torquay United in adminstration on 18:47 - Feb 22 with 1412 viewsSullutaCreturned

Unless football comes to it's senses and stops spending money it doesnt have, we are going to see a lot more of this.
Torquay United in adminstration on 19:00 - Feb 22 with 1386 viewsswancity

Each season the gulf between the top Premier League clubs and the lower tier clubs is widening

Rochdale are another club who have celebrated a centenary but who are in serious trouble

We want the best players in the world playing here but at what cost. There needs to be a more even apportionment of the money within the game. I’d like to see salary capping at £2.5m a year for a player. There’s a lot that can be done. Saudi Arabian money will attract more players soon anyway.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Torquay United in adminstration on 19:08 - Feb 22 with 1371 viewsKeithHaynes

Torquay United in adminstration on 19:00 - Feb 22 by swancity

Each season the gulf between the top Premier League clubs and the lower tier clubs is widening

Rochdale are another club who have celebrated a centenary but who are in serious trouble

We want the best players in the world playing here but at what cost. There needs to be a more even apportionment of the money within the game. I’d like to see salary capping at £2.5m a year for a player. There’s a lot that can be done. Saudi Arabian money will attract more players soon anyway.

And lose clubs a whole lot of fans.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Torquay United in adminstration on 19:32 - Feb 22 with 1329 viewsmax936

Torquay United in adminstration on 19:00 - Feb 22 by swancity

The mega amounts of money floating around the Premiership is affecting the Championship, because more and more of that money is flooding over, its becoming a battle of the have and have nots.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Torquay United in adminstration on 19:35 - Feb 22 with 1321 viewsJumpingJackFlash

Rochdale and Oldham (a former Premier league club) a few miles apart and in the shadow of huge clubs are both in the Conference and struggling to survive.
Bury, just down the road has gone. Some of us have memories of all these grounds and we're richer for the experience. Clubs with a long history are going out of existence for an amount of money equivalent to a few weeks wages of a Premier league footballer.

The game is morally bankrupt.
Torquay United in adminstration on 19:36 - Feb 22 with 1321 viewsKeithHaynes

Torquay United in adminstration on 19:32 - Feb 22 by max936

The mega amounts of money floating around the Premiership is affecting the Championship, because more and more of that money is flooding over, its becoming a battle of the have and have nots.

And the have nots this season are Southampton, Leeds and Leicester.
Pretty frightening.

Torquay United in adminstration on 19:43 - Feb 22 with 1297 viewsKilkennyjack

Torquay United in adminstration on 19:35 - Feb 22 by JumpingJackFlash

Rochdale and Oldham (a former Premier league club) a few miles apart and in the shadow of huge clubs are both in the Conference and struggling to survive.
Bury, just down the road has gone. Some of us have memories of all these grounds and we're richer for the experience. Clubs with a long history are going out of existence for an amount of money equivalent to a few weeks wages of a Premier league footballer.

The game is morally bankrupt.

Yes, something has to change.

Beware of the Risen People

Torquay United in adminstration on 20:32 - Feb 22 with 1240 viewsDr_Winston

Torquay United in adminstration on 18:47 - Feb 22 by SullutaCreturned

Unless football comes to it's senses and stops spending money it doesnt have, we are going to see a lot more of this.

Unless supporters come to their senses and start demanding that their clubs stop spending money that they just don't have, this will continue to happen.

Imagine the howls of outrage in these parts if ownership stopped "issuing shares" and cut spending back to the point where they no longer needed to. Burning effigies would be hung from every available lamp post.

Fans cannot absolve themselves of blame for the financial state that their teams are in chasing the success that supporters demand.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Torquay United in adminstration on 22:16 - Feb 22 with 1168 viewsThrasher6

The issue here...is agents. Agents are the cause of the demise of British football clubs. I could say more...but we are not allowed...

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Torquay United in adminstration on 22:57 - Feb 22 with 1132 viewsonehunglow

Torquay United in adminstration on 20:32 - Feb 22 by Dr_Winston

Unless supporters come to their senses and start demanding that their clubs stop spending money that they just don't have, this will continue to happen.

Imagine the howls of outrage in these parts if ownership stopped "issuing shares" and cut spending back to the point where they no longer needed to. Burning effigies would be hung from every available lamp post.

Fans cannot absolve themselves of blame for the financial state that their teams are in chasing the success that supporters demand.

The first people to come to senses are those who earn grotesque salaries for playing football twice a week.
They don’t have performance related targets,sales targets and not being self employed no worries about earning a living if they become injured or sick

Quit this incessant campaign of “ hate” against other fans who might not share your views

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Torquay United in adminstration on 07:08 - Feb 23 with 1065 viewsDr_Winston

Torquay United in adminstration on 22:57 - Feb 22 by onehunglow

The first people to come to senses are those who earn grotesque salaries for playing football twice a week.
They don’t have performance related targets,sales targets and not being self employed no worries about earning a living if they become injured or sick

Quit this incessant campaign of “ hate” against other fans who might not share your views

Players will go to the clubs spending money. Clubs not spending money will immediately find their stands full of entitled babies screaming about "ambishun".

The attempts by supporters to absolve themselves of any responsibility whatsoever for clubs spending ever increasing amounts of money to fund the success that they feel entitled to are laughable.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Torquay United in adminstration on 08:31 - Feb 23 with 1031 viewsQJumpingJack

It is very sad to see what is happening at Torquay.

Lets remember where our club was in 2002.
Thank goodness the Trust was set up and great people like Mel Nurse and Richard Lillicrap were involved.
Torquay United in adminstration on 08:57 - Feb 23 with 1011 viewsAnotherJohn

Torquay's situation is very sad. There were times in the past when they rode quite high - for instance when Robin Stubbs scored a lot of goals for them. I remember Plainmoor as a rather strange ground , quite a way from the city centre, and with areas of the terracing with a poor view of the pitch. It is a big ground for the Conference South though, and maintaining it probably doesn't help the finances if crowds are poor..
Torquay United in adminstration on 10:46 - Feb 23 with 941 viewsBoundy

I watch a fair bit of JD Cymru football (not the Premier League) and although not any where near the same scale ,paying players has ruined quite a few Clubs and that will continue , unless a particular Club has a rich sponsors I cant see how they can survive paying the wages they do.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Torquay United in adminstration on 16:24 - Feb 23 with 867 viewsSullutaCreturned

Torquay United in adminstration on 20:32 - Feb 22 by Dr_Winston

Speaking purely personally, most of the reason I have fallen out of love with football is the pure greed on display.

An average Championship player is demanding as much or even more in a month as most households get in a year, anywhere from 30-50k.

Any decent Championship players want in excess of 60k but will sign for any EPL club that offers them more even if it means getting nowhere near the first team, then they say it wasn't for the money.

Football needs a reset across the board but the big teams would never allow it. They are happy to be putting smaller clubs out of existence so they can hoover up the fans left withouta team to follow. Though I suspect many fans of smaller clubs will either become armchair fans that just watch football generally or will just walk away. The younger fans, they are the ones who will become Liverpool/ManCity/Arsenal (etc) fans

Myself, I had enough. I haven't renenwed my season ticket and don't plan to. Ive said it before and been swayed, my son wants to go still and he can, next season he's old enough to go with his mates but I've had enough.
Torquay United in adminstration on 18:17 - Feb 23 with 815 viewsonehunglow

Torquay United in adminstration on 16:24 - Feb 23 by SullutaCreturned

Speaking purely personally, most of the reason I have fallen out of love with football is the pure greed on display.

An average Championship player is demanding as much or even more in a month as most households get in a year, anywhere from 30-50k.

Any decent Championship players want in excess of 60k but will sign for any EPL club that offers them more even if it means getting nowhere near the first team, then they say it wasn't for the money.

Football needs a reset across the board but the big teams would never allow it. They are happy to be putting smaller clubs out of existence so they can hoover up the fans left withouta team to follow. Though I suspect many fans of smaller clubs will either become armchair fans that just watch football generally or will just walk away. The younger fans, they are the ones who will become Liverpool/ManCity/Arsenal (etc) fans

Myself, I had enough. I haven't renenwed my season ticket and don't plan to. Ive said it before and been swayed, my son wants to go still and he can, next season he's old enough to go with his mates but I've had enough.

Fair comment and one of the main reasons so many have lost love for the game
Chuck in the overt cheating and therecwechavecut.
Prem league and the influx of foreign players have brought this about .

Torquay United in adminstration on 20:30 - Feb 23 with 756 viewsKeithHaynes

Torquay United in adminstration on 18:17 - Feb 23 by onehunglow

I would say the need to win brings about cheating regardless of nationality.

Torquay United in adminstration on 20:48 - Feb 23 with 738 viewsmax936

Torquay United in adminstration on 19:36 - Feb 22 by KeithHaynes

And the have nots this season are Southampton, Leeds and Leicester.
Pretty frightening.

I disagree Leeds have spent some decent money and them Leicester and Southampton have kept the majority of their Premier League squads.

We got relegated and sold ours and we've done the same since, that's why we relying on loans, we have spent money yes, but wasted that money on buying crap, Tymon looks decent though, Darling another, Wood has his moments.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Torquay United in adminstration on 10:01 - Feb 24 with 590 viewsSullutaCreturned

Torquay United in adminstration on 18:17 - Feb 23 by onehunglow

Aye the cheating, the mess they made of VAR, the shite refs, the favouritism by the ruling bodies....they made a mess of the beautiful game.
Torquay United in adminstration on 10:34 - Feb 24 with 568 viewsDr_Winston

Torquay United in adminstration on 20:48 - Feb 23 by max936

I disagree Leeds have spent some decent money and them Leicester and Southampton have kept the majority of their Premier League squads.

We got relegated and sold ours and we've done the same since, that's why we relying on loans, we have spent money yes, but wasted that money on buying crap, Tymon looks decent though, Darling another, Wood has his moments.

Money spent under the control of Huw Jenkins whilst we were still in the Premier League was the reason why we had to shift so many players out in that first Summer. Had we not and failed to win an immediate return to the Premier League we'd be in a much, much worse situation than we are currently.

We were in an absolute mess financially, largely because of agreed, non-reduceable salaries and future commitments. "haemorrhaging money" is how it was put to me by someone with more knowledge of the situation than basically anyone bar Trevor Birch at the time.

Torquay United in adminstration on 14:31 - Feb 24 with 517 viewsSullutaCreturned

Torquay United in adminstration on 10:34 - Feb 24 by Dr_Winston

Money spent under the control of Huw Jenkins whilst we were still in the Premier League was the reason why we had to shift so many players out in that first Summer. Had we not and failed to win an immediate return to the Premier League we'd be in a much, much worse situation than we are currently.

We were in an absolute mess financially, largely because of agreed, non-reduceable salaries and future commitments. "haemorrhaging money" is how it was put to me by someone with more knowledge of the situation than basically anyone bar Trevor Birch at the time.

That is something I think most fans knew, the very bad deals HJ signed with Bony and Ayew cost us tens of millions, they were panic buys and on top of the way the club was sold it did us so much damage we won't recover for a long time, specially not with the way our current owners are managing us.

It can't be a coincidence that the 3 clubs they own are all doing worse since they took over.
Torquay United in adminstration on 14:58 - Feb 24 with 492 viewsDr_Winston

Torquay United in adminstration on 14:31 - Feb 24 by SullutaCreturned

That is something I think most fans knew, the very bad deals HJ signed with Bony and Ayew cost us tens of millions, they were panic buys and on top of the way the club was sold it did us so much damage we won't recover for a long time, specially not with the way our current owners are managing us.

It can't be a coincidence that the 3 clubs they own are all doing worse since they took over.

They were the headline deals, but there was more to it than that. The club lost control of spending after about 2016, on transfers and especially wages. We went from cringing over investing £12m in Bony to cheerfully signing deals for well North of that. Huwbert was less careful with the clubs money once his own was no longer at stake.

Leaving him in almost total control was perhaps the single biggest mistake they made since the day they arrived, and the consequences of that decision still reverberate now. For example, it's not because that he trusts those running the club that Levein still sticks his nose in.

I think we had a chance of avoiding what has happened since if they'd put someone like Birch in charge sooner and let him get on with it. Although it has to be said, there are plenty of teams in a far worse position than us, even if it hasn't really clicked on the pitch much in the last three seasons.

Torquay United in adminstration on 15:33 - Feb 24 with 467 viewsSullutaCreturned

Torquay United in adminstration on 14:58 - Feb 24 by Dr_Winston

They were the headline deals, but there was more to it than that. The club lost control of spending after about 2016, on transfers and especially wages. We went from cringing over investing £12m in Bony to cheerfully signing deals for well North of that. Huwbert was less careful with the clubs money once his own was no longer at stake.

Leaving him in almost total control was perhaps the single biggest mistake they made since the day they arrived, and the consequences of that decision still reverberate now. For example, it's not because that he trusts those running the club that Levein still sticks his nose in.

I think we had a chance of avoiding what has happened since if they'd put someone like Birch in charge sooner and let him get on with it. Although it has to be said, there are plenty of teams in a far worse position than us, even if it hasn't really clicked on the pitch much in the last three seasons.

if Levein kept his nose out things would be better, so far this afternoon the pace of Placheta and Ronald has paid dividends, mind you so has playong Allen. maybe we are sarting to click but it's early days for Williams.
Torquay United in adminstration on 15:37 - Feb 24 with 465 viewsonehunglow

Torquay United in adminstration on 15:33 - Feb 24 by SullutaCreturned

if Levein kept his nose out things would be better, so far this afternoon the pace of Placheta and Ronald has paid dividends, mind you so has playong Allen. maybe we are sarting to click but it's early days for Williams.

Need to keep foot on throat

Torquay United in adminstration on 16:39 - Feb 24 with 436 viewsAnotherJohn

Edited.

Part of the Gulls' problem is that they are a team of full-timers doing nothing special in a league of part-timers. The economics of that do not work out.,
[Post edited 24 Feb 17:11]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024