Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How and why did we start following the swans. 19:46 - Mar 15 with 2300 viewsAguycalledJack

Not sure if this has been done before but I’ll start.

Started as a family thing with me. Dad worked continentals, so took me to the swans when he could. Because of this, it was my grandfather and uncle who instilled the true passion for the swans in me and took me along what seemed like every Saturday. Sitting in the centre stand. My grandfather used to say he’d had the same seat since the 2nd world war. With his name on it I used to believe it. Now for me it’s still a family thing, dad, uncle, cousin, nephews etc. It’s my daughters first game against QPR and at the age of 5 she can’t wait. Hopefully, another generation of swans fans started. I have Also gained so many good mates by following the swans through the good and mainly the bad times.

Going off on a tangent, this is why the club and the team mean so much to people.
[Post edited 15 Mar 19:48]
How and why did we start following the swans. on 20:10 - Mar 15 with 1907 viewsswan65split

I was dragged there by my mates in 64 during the cup run, no idea who it was but the lights, crowd, etc got me hooked,
How and why did we start following the swans. on 20:16 - Mar 15 with 1904 viewsAguycalledJack

How and why did we start following the swans. on 20:10 - Mar 15 by swan65split

I was dragged there by my mates in 64 during the cup run, no idea who it was but the lights, crowd, etc got me hooked,

I always remember walking into the ground as a kid, in the sun, first game of season., and my breath being taken away by what I considers to be the size of the pitch. Now as a kid, we’d be in the ground so early, that the football section of what was probably grandstand was stil on ( which would be the modern day football focus) so I’m guessing about 1pm - 1.30 watching that old portable they used to have in the snack bar that used to be next to the Harry Griffiths.

As I got older, you couldn’t get me out of the singleton until 5 mins before kickoff 😂
How and why did we start following the swans. on 20:18 - Mar 15 with 1891 viewsonehunglow

Dad was centre stand season ticket holder in the 50s and took me
Had no choice in the matter
It’s part of me
It was part of our family

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

How and why did we start following the swans. on 20:54 - Mar 15 with 1874 viewsbonymine

How and why did we start following the swans. on 20:18 - Mar 15 by onehunglow

Dad was centre stand season ticket holder in the 50s and took me
Had no choice in the matter
It’s part of me
It was part of our family

Father & Son season ticket holders in the old Double Decker from 1978 age 13.

It’s then in your blood, a lifetime commitment will follow.

Lots of ups, even more downs, a match day like no other at my beloved Vetch and the Gari.

The Tosh years from Div 4 to Div 1 and the Premier League years I’ve seen them both so how privileged am I eh ?

It’s been a rollercoaster of a football life for me but one I wouldn’t swap for the world from squeezing Mike Lewis’s bollocks outside he Harry Griffiths bar back in the Tony Petty day to shaking hands with Brendan at Wembley at the Play Off Final in 2011.

SWANSEA TILL I DIE 🦢🦢🦢

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

How and why did we start following the swans. on 05:02 - Mar 16 with 1781 viewsTummer_from_Texas

In 2013, at age 44, I didn't know crap about English football or the history of Swansea City. At that point, my only football concerns were the USA and Polish national teams. But for whatever reason, probably it's expansion on NBC TV, I started to look at the Premier League, if not follow it.

Right away, Swansea City just jumped out. The fact there were two little Welsh clubs going against Man U and Chelsea and Pool was intriguing, but it didn't take long to figure out that the club I liked wasn't the blue option.

My early days I remember are as being a casual observer more than a fanatic. The 2-0 win over Cardiff at a time the Swans were really struggling was the first point where a Swans loss would have ruined my day.

I was pretty psyched for the start of the next season, at Old Trafford. By the end of that match, I was all in.

By the next season, I had convinced my partner that we needed to go to Wales to watch some "soccer," which we did over the holidays (vs West Brom, @Palace, @ManU), and that experience bound me for life.

Other time I saw the club play was on the preseason trip to North Carolina/Virginia, which honestly was pretty lame. Awful memory, as I met Jason Levien and bought into his bullshit. But my support and my love of this club hasn't waivered a damned bit from that day in August 2014, when KSY and Gilfy made me believe in God.
[Post edited 16 Mar 5:35]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

How and why did we start following the swans. on 05:51 - Mar 16 with 1739 viewsbuilthjack

Hartlepool at home 1968.
My Dad was always a Swans fan.
Continental cafe for dinner.
Double decker.Feet stamping.
My Mum had knitted me a scarf a few days before the game.
Hooked.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

How and why did we start following the swans. on 07:02 - Mar 16 with 1714 viewspete

How and why did we start following the swans. on 05:51 - Mar 16 by builthjack

Hartlepool at home 1968.
Hooked.

1962 for me, 14 yrs old only played school soccer ( dany graig) and local stuff up to the Sunderland game went with a relative to watch the game Hurly vs Reynolds what a battle was hooked from then on
How and why did we start following the swans. on 09:04 - Mar 16 with 1659 viewsonehunglow

Hartlepool at home 1968.
Hooked.

Mums did that then
Glory days

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Login to get fewer ads

How and why did we start following the swans. on 16:42 - Mar 16 with 1530 viewsblackswan

Have a program from 1970 in which I have written the score not sure if it was my first game. Have has a season ticket since the Tosh era all my boys follow the swans. Today was my grandson's first derby day he is already a season ticket holder needless to say he was absolutely bouncing stid
How and why did we start following the swans. on 17:27 - Mar 16 with 1500 viewsRhonddaSwans

How and why did we start following the swans. on 16:42 - Mar 16 by blackswan

Have a program from 1970 in which I have written the score not sure if it was my first game. Have has a season ticket since the Tosh era all my boys follow the swans. Today was my grandson's first derby day he is already a season ticket holder needless to say he was absolutely bouncing stid

Beautiful stuff mate, hope the young lad enjoyed beating the scum.

One day he will be there with his grandson thinking of you!

Glad we won for him he will never forget his first derby.

Poll: Will we beat Poland?

How and why did we start following the swans. on 18:01 - Mar 16 with 1475 viewsCanveySwan

Son of a welsh rugby international but took me to the my first game in the late 70’s. Followed the swans for years, Plymouth away has fond memories when they bricked the bus. Moved to Essex so don’t get to see many games. Will always be a swans fan.
[Post edited 16 Mar 18:02]
How and why did we start following the swans. on 18:09 - Mar 16 with 1448 viewsRhonddaSwans

Mark Aizlewood put my first Swansea ticket 🎟️ into my hand.

it was Keith Walkers testimonial v Aston Villa
Dion Dublin , Lee Henry and co.

Swans lost that day.

But I was hooked at the vetch.

I never looked back!

I fell in love at first sight , 😍

MY FIRST LOVE SWANSEA CITY.

Bit mad Mark Aizlewood made me a jack not sure I should be advertising the fact.

Poll: Will we beat Poland?

How and why did we start following the swans. on 18:36 - Mar 16 with 1425 viewsSullutaCreturned

It was the 1972/73 season, a 5 year old me was living through a family break up. My parents were divorcing and my father startedtakingme to the Swans with my 2 uncles.

We used to stand on the West terrace. I don't know what my first game was, all I know was I was usually bored by 30 minutes and ready to go home. He carried on taking me and eventually I was hooked.

I take my son now.
How and why did we start following the swans. on 18:40 - Mar 18 with 1287 viewsSwans9

1986 born in Swansea but lived in South Africa and Slough for from the ages5 to 10y old. I could never eat frozen mars bars or pasties from the north bank now or my teeth would fall out they where so hard. Still miss vetch though for the atmosphere of midweek or Friday night games.
How and why did we start following the swans. on 11:43 - Mar 19 with 1178 viewsAzzuriswan

Was watching the 1963 FA Cup final between Leicester and Man U at home in Port Talbot and asked my dad who were the nearest team to us...Swansea Town at the time. A few years later was going to home games on the bus from PT on my own and standing on the East Terrace. Never looked back. Its in the blood.
How and why did we start following the swans. on 13:26 - Mar 19 with 1136 viewsJust_Dave

My Dad's business had an advertising board down the Vetch, he wasn't into football at all but it came with the company when he took it over. He had to go down to pay for it for the next season so the first time I ever went into the Vetch I had a tour culminating in standing on the pitch to get the full effect of the advertising board! It was a lovely sunny day and I was hooked. I believe Trevor Ford was working in the commercial dept at the time and took us round but I may be mistaken. Part of the deal was a couple of comps for the double decker for Mickey Conways testimonial a few days later. My grandad took me and I've been stuck with the Swans ever since.
How and why did we start following the swans. on 15:17 - Mar 19 with 1088 viewsswan65split

How and why did we start following the swans. on 11:43 - Mar 19 by Azzuriswan

Was watching the 1963 FA Cup final between Leicester and Man U at home in Port Talbot and asked my dad who were the nearest team to us...Swansea Town at the time. A few years later was going to home games on the bus from PT on my own and standing on the East Terrace. Never looked back. Its in the blood.

Around the same age,probably know each other by sight then, as it was only a number 4 , 6 or 42 bus for me.
How and why did we start following the swans. on 15:19 - Mar 19 with 1086 viewsswan65split

Hartlepool at home 1968.
Hooked.

won 2-0 , i was underneath you then! I remember thinking their goalie look like an OAP.
How and why did we start following the swans. on 21:31 - Mar 19 with 991 viewsbonymine

How and why did we start following the swans. on 13:26 - Mar 19 by Just_Dave

My Dad's business had an advertising board down the Vetch, he wasn't into football at all but it came with the company when he took it over. He had to go down to pay for it for the next season so the first time I ever went into the Vetch I had a tour culminating in standing on the pitch to get the full effect of the advertising board! It was a lovely sunny day and I was hooked. I believe Trevor Ford was working in the commercial dept at the time and took us round but I may be mistaken. Part of the deal was a couple of comps for the double decker for Mickey Conways testimonial a few days later. My grandad took me and I've been stuck with the Swans ever since.

May have been Geoff Ford at the Commercial Dept at the time Dave he was there for years a really lovely guy too.

Mickey Conway (on the wing) passing away in that car crash was tragic too it really was a pleasure to have seen him play !!

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

How and why did we start following the swans. on 22:29 - Mar 19 with 946 viewspembsjack

Moved here aged around 18, was struggling to settle in Pembrokeshire when a colleague dragged me a long to the Swans against Oxford I think during the Hollins era (possibly first game of the season). In all honesty I went for the beer.
It was an awful game, awful football but....I absolutely fell in love the the Vetch, the north bank and most of all the fans. I was hooked. Since then, I've been a ST holder for many seasons and am very proud that my two sons are also ST holders.
How and why did we start following the swans. on 00:49 - Mar 20 with 913 viewsRobbie

Alan Waddle lays on more balls than Fiona Richmond , enough said .
How and why did we start following the swans. on 07:38 - Mar 20 with 856 viewsSgorioFruit

1st January 1991 Swansea 5-0 Rotherham

i was six years old. stood on the north bank

Little Mermaid was in the cinema, and i had a choice of going to watch the swans with my father, brother and cousin, or join my Mam, aunty and other cousins in the cinema to watch little mermaid.

After the game we walked to littlewoods, to see if we could get a taxi back up the hill. But none was about.

I remember it was hammering down with rain, walking up mount pleasant hill.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

How and why did we start following the swans. on 20:32 - Mar 20 with 782 viewscockett_jack

Love this thread, great hearing about other peoples experiences.

As a teenager I was mooching about in town with a mate from school doing what you tend to do at that age, eating McDonald’s in castle gardens and looking at stuff in shops you can’t afford. We were bored and the Swans were at home to Cheltenham during the last season at the Vetch. My mate had to twist my arm to convince me to get tickets on the day (think it was like £5) as I wasn’t really into football at that age (I had been a classic South Wales Man U glory hunter as a child before gravitating towards American sports). We got tickets in the terrace of the lower east stand and I was blown away, will never forget the atmosphere booming from the north bank and the way a football ground can just awe you when you’re young. Trundle equalised (mate said ‘you’ll like this guy’) and I was hooked. Got a season ticket the next season at the liberty and was off to away games.

I should remember to thank my friend.
How and why did we start following the swans. on 20:56 - Mar 20 with 759 viewsDr_Winston

Vague memories of sitting in the Centre Stand as a young child whilst my dad took part in the old half time penalty shootout when adult teams still did it. Can just about recall the old double decker.

Wasn't really into football seriously until Italia '90. After that pestered my old man to start taking me to games.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

How and why did we start following the swans. on 22:24 - Mar 20 with 723 viewsAguycalledJack

Fair play. I’ve found this thread an interesting read.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024