Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The river Wye 18:31 - Mar 23 with 565 viewsonehunglow

Saw a news item this week stating the river is too polluted to swim in.
I’m an afficanado of open water swimming and this is awful.
We booked a bnb in Cotswolds last year looking to swim in the upper reaches of the river Thames .
Upon finding the spot, locals informed us that the river in Oxfordshire is now too polluted to enter

This is down to chicken poo amongst other things as farmers look to diversify for our increased consumption of chicken meat

Depressing

We are killing nature

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The river Wye on 18:44 - Mar 23 with 544 viewsSullutaCreturned

It is depressing. it's the factory farming nonsense, the hgh intensity and use of so many chemicals alongside the massive amounts of waste generated that are just washed away into rivers making them unusable. It's killing fish stocks too.

I'm doinga charity trek around the Wye valley in September, it's a beautiful area, how long will it last the way we are going!
The river Wye on 20:58 - Mar 23 with 504 viewsBoundy

The other things one of which is sewage , the change in the weather patterns which creates excessive algae .Its a disgrace that testing in the main is being carried out by volunteers because Natural England and the Environment Agency do not have enough resources to monitor and protect the country's rivers, and this is happening everywhere. The water company's seem to have a free reign not to do what they're paid handsomely to do.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The river Wye on 23:16 - Mar 23 with 480 viewsonehunglow

It's something we should all be repulsed by
We are allowing this to happen
Luckily we have two lakes nearish where we can swim
I feel for young folk

The river Wye on 23:43 - Mar 23 with 472 viewsmajorraglan

The river Wye on 20:58 - Mar 23 by Boundy

The other things one of which is sewage , the change in the weather patterns which creates excessive algae .Its a disgrace that testing in the main is being carried out by volunteers because Natural England and the Environment Agency do not have enough resources to monitor and protect the country's rivers, and this is happening everywhere. The water company's seem to have a free reign not to do what they're paid handsomely to do.

100%.

We’re building new housing estates/ villages and small towns when we don’t have adequate infrastructure in terms or water supplies, treatment works in place. There’s a class action law suit currently progressing through the Courts against a massive chicken supplier who’ve been accused of contributing to the algae problem.

The oversight and regulation of the water companies seems to be severely lacking and performance in places like Thames Water has fallen through the floor while debt levels have rocketed.
The river Wye on 08:39 - Mar 24 with 442 viewsbuilthjack

The problem around us is chicken sheds. There are more in Powys than in the rest of the UK.
Combined.
They are everywhere.
A lot of County Councillors in Powys are farmers.
So planning goes through no problem.
The wye is ruined.
All summer there will be a stink, when chicken poo is spread on fields.
People won’t put their washing out. Won’t swim in the river.
It needs to stop.
[Post edited 24 Mar 8:42]

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The river Wye on 08:54 - Mar 24 with 429 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

The river Wye on 08:39 - Mar 24 by builthjack

The problem around us is chicken sheds. There are more in Powys than in the rest of the UK.
Combined.
They are everywhere.
The wye is ruined.
It needs to stop.

How do we stop chickens from pooing? 💩

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

The river Wye on 12:59 - Mar 24 with 383 viewsmax936

The Wye controlled by HDAA has been in excellent form for fishing record catches week on week, got a few butties up there and I know the bailiff very well and when I speak to them about pollution, they tell me that it's not causing issues on the River the decline in the Salmon catches is vastly overstated, people still regularly catch Salmon there, the so called decline at the time around 20yrs ago coincided with them opening the dams and releasing cold water into the river which affected the catches, its a spate river and it can rise from a normal level by 3 meters or more virtually over night, it was 6mtrs above normal at one point before or just after Christmas, it rose 8 inch's on the day I fished there and continued to rise overnight it was nearly 2mters above normal the day after.

I don't doubt that problems can arise due drier conditions, especially in the slowing moving sections and action should be taken against polluters, jail time if deemed necessary.

Builthy could probably provide more comments, hopefully he'll read this and do so!

These guys are on the river daily

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The river Wye on 13:07 - Mar 24 with 379 viewsmax936

The river Wye on 08:39 - Mar 24 by builthjack

Combined.
They are everywhere.
The wye is ruined.
It needs to stop.

Great post Bulithy as I posted below that I thought you'd have info on the upper reaches, the more pollution that enters the further the problem will spread.

But as I said above this post that the river in and around Hereford, Ross on Wye and Monmouth areas haven't been affected, the River Lugg at Lugwardine at Hereford and the River Monnow have fished very well this last season from what I've been told, which wouldn't have happened if there was pollution.

Login to get fewer ads

The river Wye on 13:21 - Mar 24 with 370 viewsScotia

The thing is a lot of these farms are technically "free range" they're not in reality as the birds have to get passed 49,999 of their feathered friends to get out of a tiny door to peck around a field.

The solution is more sustainable agriculture, exactly what the recent farmers protests have been opposing.
The river Wye on 13:23 - Mar 24 with 368 viewsonehunglow

The river Wye on 13:07 - Mar 24 by max936

Great post Bulithy as I posted below that I thought you'd have info on the upper reaches, the more pollution that enters the further the problem will spread.

But as I said above this post that the river in and around Hereford, Ross on Wye and Monmouth areas haven't been affected, the River Lugg at Lugwardine at Hereford and the River Monnow have fished very well this last season from what I've been told, which wouldn't have happened if there was pollution.

We ve been swimming in Leintwardine . Beautiful.
Some good posts here .
Thanks

The river Wye on 13:25 - Mar 24 with 368 viewsmax936

The river Wye on 13:21 - Mar 24 by Scotia

The thing is a lot of these farms are technically "free range" they're not in reality as the birds have to get passed 49,999 of their feathered friends to get out of a tiny door to peck around a field.

The solution is more sustainable agriculture, exactly what the recent farmers protests have been opposing.

No money in sustainable agriculture, a balance needs to be found it won't be easy of course it never is, especially with the naysayers stirring the pot.

The river Wye on 13:49 - Mar 24 with 360 viewsonehunglow

The river Wye on 13:25 - Mar 24 by max936

No money in sustainable agriculture, a balance needs to be found it won't be easy of course it never is, especially with the naysayers stirring the pot.

A while back,Builth suggested some swimming spots in mid Wales. I’d be mortified if these were now polluted.
I’m praying Bala lake stays clean although often rammed in summer

The river Wye on 14:02 - Mar 24 with 354 viewsScotia

The river Wye on 13:25 - Mar 24 by max936

We'd basically have to pay for it.

Someone told me once that to mass produce 6 eggs in a sustainable way would see them cost us about £7.50 to buy.
The river Wye on 14:05 - Mar 24 with 353 viewsSullutaCreturned

And yet there are pages and pages of news stories about the Wye being polluted!
The river Wye on 14:27 - Mar 24 with 347 viewsbuilthjack

Once the river slows down with less rainfall, say about June, July, you will see the water turn yellow. That is the result of chicken poo.
Bathers do not enter the water at this time.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The river Wye on 14:56 - Mar 24 with 339 viewsonehunglow

The river Wye on 14:27 - Mar 24 by builthjack

Once the river slows down with less rainfall, say about June, July, you will see the water turn yellow. That is the result of chicken poo.

So this warning applies to the upper reaches of the Wye!

The river Wye on 15:06 - Mar 24 with 337 viewsmax936

The river Wye on 14:05 - Mar 24 by SullutaCreturned

And yet there are pages and pages of news stories about the Wye being polluted!

I know, I've read many of them, can only repeat what I've been told I can put a youtube vid up from Dave Roberts in which he talks a lot about it, but he chats as he fishes, so probably not a lot of interest in it for most.

He's a friend of mine, but I didn't see when I was there a fortnight ago, he was in Ireland on business.

The river Wye on 15:13 - Mar 24 with 331 viewsmax936

The river Wye on 14:27 - Mar 24 by builthjack

Nor would aye, it needs to be stopped because its bound to affect low parts of the river at some point, think the Severn is suffering in parts, the Barbel at Bridgnorth have virtually disappeared these days.

The river Wye on 08:39 - Mar 25 with 229 viewsBoundy

The river Wye on 13:23 - Mar 24 by onehunglow

We ve been swimming in Leintwardine . Beautiful.
Some good posts here .
Thanks

I have a friend who lives near the river , he's been flooded out 3 times now in the past 7 years , sorry off topic

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The river Wye on 09:25 - Mar 25 with 221 viewsonehunglow

The river Wye on 08:39 - Mar 25 by Boundy

I have a friend who lives near the river , he's been flooded out 3 times now in the past 7 years , sorry off topic

Lovely part of the world but if the river there has flooded that plain then that puts an end to swimming in the river
We really got into open water swimming when Covid hit and every pool were closed

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024