Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? 13:17 - Sep 29 with 831 viewsDavillin

Quiz: New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 42,254, 53,671. 61,487. 70,425 ?

My eldest, who lives in Atlanta, sent me this recently.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/soccer/ct-atlanta-united-sets-major-league-

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 13:26 - Sep 29 with 822 viewsmonmouth

Is this stuff true Dav?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/28/football-clubs-leagues-attendan

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 13:45 - Sep 29 with 807 viewsMeraki

Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 13:26 - Sep 29 by monmouth

Is this stuff true Dav?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/28/football-clubs-leagues-attendan

"Chivas USA were struggling to meet MLS head office expectations in 2014, with their announced crowds plummeting to about 7,000 from almost 20,000 eight years earlier, so MLS shuttered the franchise at the end of that season in the same way McDonald’s would decommission an underperforming store."

Says it all about American sports really.
Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 17:34 - Sep 29 with 738 viewsDavillin

Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 13:26 - Sep 29 by monmouth

Is this stuff true Dav?

Thanks for asking, but you might not like my answer. Because I respect you and the genuineness of your question, I'll answer.

If The Guardian ever prints anything positive about the States, I will have a medical breakdown. As they print only negatives, it's tainted at best.

The photo of partially empty seats is pure horseshît. Just take the photo a half-hour before kickoff and the seats will be empty. During the inauguration of President Trump, the main stream media made a huge fuss claiming that there were more people at Obama's inauguration, and had a photograph to "prove" it. I watched some of the pre-official activities and saw people filing into the standing area before it was full, and again when it was full. The media showed a pre-inauguration photo and implied that it was the full crowd. I know that it was false because I saw it live.

Geraldo Rivera once did a special TV program about Puerto Rico [his native land about which he struggles to be objective]. One of his sub-text stories was about the U.S. Navy using a certain patch of water offshore for bombing practice. He made a long and passionate rant showing "an unexploded bomb" on the sea floor. Except that it was an fuel drop tank. [Yeah, i know the difference; but either he didn't, or he was distributing taffy, as Mark Twain would have said.]

I don't know if there is any legal danger in the U.K. in falsifying numbers which affect taxes, but there is in the States.

Some suit has to decide what to include in the totals, and having someone stand in the centre circle and count 70,000 heads would not only be impossible, but would also be inaccurate for a half-dozen reasons. I'd bet a penny that the various U.S. leagues have requirements on how to calculate official attendance, but if it's true, you'd never see it in The Guardian.

Do I trust the official Atlanta United number, or The Guardian's spin? First, I don't have any investment in the truth of either, but if required to choose one, it'd never by the latter.

p.s. I don't remember anything in The Guardian article about how U.K. clubs count attendances. Perhaps they did.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2017 17:57]

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 17:55 - Sep 29 with 732 viewsmonmouth

I was just interested to be honest. I've no attachment to the guardian's views, and didn't mind which way your answer went. I like getting both sides of any story, even if, like with Brexit and Trump, I might prefer one side. Being aware of my own bias is something I like to remain conscious of.

As to this topic. In the UK we know that it can be a sham. Cardiff were reporting over 20,000 last season when the ground was pretty much empty. Season tickets counted whether they were there or not and even their own fans were laughing at it.

Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 18:07 - Sep 29 with 717 viewsDafyddHuw

Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 17:55 - Sep 29 by monmouth

I was just interested to be honest. I've no attachment to the guardian's views, and didn't mind which way your answer went. I like getting both sides of any story, even if, like with Brexit and Trump, I might prefer one side. Being aware of my own bias is something I like to remain conscious of.

As to this topic. In the UK we know that it can be a sham. Cardiff were reporting over 20,000 last season when the ground was pretty much empty. Season tickets counted whether they were there or not and even their own fans were laughing at it.

Every club counts STs irrespective of if they turn up or not. Nothing special about Cardiff doing it.
Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 18:28 - Sep 29 with 704 viewsmonmouth

Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 18:07 - Sep 29 by DafyddHuw

Every club counts STs irrespective of if they turn up or not. Nothing special about Cardiff doing it.

Well Except that for most clubs, some of them turn up.

Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 12:23 - Sep 30 with 631 viewsMeraki

Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 17:34 - Sep 29 by Davillin

Thanks for asking, but you might not like my answer. Because I respect you and the genuineness of your question, I'll answer.

If The Guardian ever prints anything positive about the States, I will have a medical breakdown. As they print only negatives, it's tainted at best.

The photo of partially empty seats is pure horseshît. Just take the photo a half-hour before kickoff and the seats will be empty. During the inauguration of President Trump, the main stream media made a huge fuss claiming that there were more people at Obama's inauguration, and had a photograph to "prove" it. I watched some of the pre-official activities and saw people filing into the standing area before it was full, and again when it was full. The media showed a pre-inauguration photo and implied that it was the full crowd. I know that it was false because I saw it live.

Geraldo Rivera once did a special TV program about Puerto Rico [his native land about which he struggles to be objective]. One of his sub-text stories was about the U.S. Navy using a certain patch of water offshore for bombing practice. He made a long and passionate rant showing "an unexploded bomb" on the sea floor. Except that it was an fuel drop tank. [Yeah, i know the difference; but either he didn't, or he was distributing taffy, as Mark Twain would have said.]

I don't know if there is any legal danger in the U.K. in falsifying numbers which affect taxes, but there is in the States.

Some suit has to decide what to include in the totals, and having someone stand in the centre circle and count 70,000 heads would not only be impossible, but would also be inaccurate for a half-dozen reasons. I'd bet a penny that the various U.S. leagues have requirements on how to calculate official attendance, but if it's true, you'd never see it in The Guardian.

Do I trust the official Atlanta United number, or The Guardian's spin? First, I don't have any investment in the truth of either, but if required to choose one, it'd never by the latter.

p.s. I don't remember anything in The Guardian article about how U.K. clubs count attendances. Perhaps they did.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2017 17:57]

"Chivas USA were struggling to meet MLS head office expectations in 2014, with their announced crowds plummeting to about 7,000 from almost 20,000 eight years earlier, so MLS shuttered the franchise at the end of that season in the same way McDonald’s would decommission an underperforming store."

So thats not true?
Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 12:41 - Sep 30 with 622 viewsGaryjack

Here is a picture taken from the game in question.

Login to get fewer ads

Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 13:12 - Sep 30 with 596 viewsMeraki

Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 12:41 - Sep 30 by Garyjack

Here is a picture taken from the game in question.

Is that a baseball in between GOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!
Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 13:19 - Sep 30 with 589 viewsGaryjack

Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 13:12 - Sep 30 by Meraki

Is that a baseball in between GOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!

just checked the google image and it certainly is!
Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 14:44 - Sep 30 with 544 viewsMeraki

Quiz. New U.S. [MLS] attendance record? 40k+, 50k+. 60k+. 70k+ ? on 13:19 - Sep 30 by Garyjack

just checked the google image and it certainly is!

Thats something that would happen down the Liberty though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024