Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 19:02 - May 13 with 2270 viewsjack2jack

Very interesting if interested👍
BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 19:07 - May 13 with 2261 viewsswan65split

Thanks fort that my father was in the tanks, but Africa, and that route, so recording.
BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 19:12 - May 13 with 2240 viewsjack2jack

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 19:07 - May 13 by swan65split

Thanks fort that my father was in the tanks, but Africa, and that route, so recording.

Huge respect to your Dad, this is about the 5th RTR, my god they went through the mill.
BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 20:04 - May 13 with 2207 viewssP7qupUf

Didn't know it was on until I saw your post and just watched it. Wow. Those guys had it really tough. Great respect for them.

Thanks for the post.
BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 20:11 - May 13 with 2199 viewsjack2jack

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 20:04 - May 13 by sP7qupUf

Didn't know it was on until I saw your post and just watched it. Wow. Those guys had it really tough. Great respect for them.

Thanks for the post.

Unbelievable really, the 5th RTR barely had a break in five years. Incredible story.
BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 21:59 - May 13 with 2173 viewshowenjack

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 20:11 - May 13 by jack2jack

Unbelievable really, the 5th RTR barely had a break in five years. Incredible story.

Very interesting programme very sad also that many of the old sweats who had gone through 5 years were killed in the final month of the war. I saw another documentary the other day about the battle of Kursk. The eye witness accounts were horrific .The biggest tank battle in history . The Russian T 34 's had overwhelming numerical odds against the tigers panthers and panzers but still struggled . One guy said it was every man for himself - the battle plan went out of the window because of the sheer numbers involved. Tanks were fighting at point blank range and the t.34's resorted to ramming German tanks -It must have been like a much deadlier form of dodgems !
BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 23:41 - May 13 with 2137 viewsjack2jack

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 21:59 - May 13 by howenjack

Very interesting programme very sad also that many of the old sweats who had gone through 5 years were killed in the final month of the war. I saw another documentary the other day about the battle of Kursk. The eye witness accounts were horrific .The biggest tank battle in history . The Russian T 34 's had overwhelming numerical odds against the tigers panthers and panzers but still struggled . One guy said it was every man for himself - the battle plan went out of the window because of the sheer numbers involved. Tanks were fighting at point blank range and the t.34's resorted to ramming German tanks -It must have been like a much deadlier form of dodgems !

Just finished watching the documentary on the battle of kursk, I have no words to described what I've just seen, other than it must have been hell on earth, staggering.
BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 13:25 - May 14 with 2071 viewshowenjack

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 23:41 - May 13 by jack2jack

Just finished watching the documentary on the battle of kursk, I have no words to described what I've just seen, other than it must have been hell on earth, staggering.

I know , it was summertime the heat in a tank must have been unbearable and not knowing whether an enemy tank has zeroed their sights on you . I was in awe just listening to the survivors talking about it. The clash just outside the village of Prokarovka must have been hell on earth.
BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 17:22 - May 14 with 2028 viewsswan65split

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 19:12 - May 13 by jack2jack

Huge respect to your Dad, this is about the 5th RTR, my god they went through the mill.

Thanks for that, he joined up early 1930s and was in India in Hussars, then North Africa etc. he had an arm injury and was operated on in the field , and continued , he never talked about the war, but a neighbour told me he had had it rough, so I can understand him not talking about it, yes being in a tank no doubt was a frightening thing during war, he was the tank commander.
Login to get fewer ads

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 17:32 - May 14 with 2025 viewsjack2jack

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 17:22 - May 14 by swan65split

Thanks for that, he joined up early 1930s and was in India in Hussars, then North Africa etc. he had an arm injury and was operated on in the field , and continued , he never talked about the war, but a neighbour told me he had had it rough, so I can understand him not talking about it, yes being in a tank no doubt was a frightening thing during war, he was the tank commander.

Real life heroes, my respect for these men, including your father, is immense.We can only imagine what they went through.
Take care.
BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 18:05 - May 14 with 2016 viewsHumpty

Episode 1 available here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pvbds/tankies-tank-heroes-of-world-war-

This covers the earlier years, desert campaign etc.
BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 19:36 - May 14 with 1997 viewsswan65split

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 18:05 - May 14 by Humpty

Episode 1 available here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pvbds/tankies-tank-heroes-of-world-war-

This covers the earlier years, desert campaign etc.

Cheers
BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 19:38 - May 14 with 1992 viewsHumpty

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 19:36 - May 14 by swan65split

Cheers

Do you know what regiment your grandfather was in?

Mine was in North Africa, then Italy and Greece with 46th RTR.
BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 20:55 - May 14 with 1977 viewsDr_Winston

One thing I regret is the lack of knowledge I have about my grandfather's wartime service. My mothers father died when I was very young and my dad's dad was gone long before I was born. Not even sure if he served at all as he was a railwayman and might have been a reserved occupation.

Ironically I know more about my Grandmother's first husband's record. She went to her grave convinced that he'd been sunk aboard HMS Hood, when in fact the boat he was on was sunk three months earlier.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 21:18 - May 14 with 1968 viewsCatullus

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 20:55 - May 14 by Dr_Winston

One thing I regret is the lack of knowledge I have about my grandfather's wartime service. My mothers father died when I was very young and my dad's dad was gone long before I was born. Not even sure if he served at all as he was a railwayman and might have been a reserved occupation.

Ironically I know more about my Grandmother's first husband's record. She went to her grave convinced that he'd been sunk aboard HMS Hood, when in fact the boat he was on was sunk three months earlier.

I'm the same as you, I know a bit about my grandpa's time, I've read his letters home, he had the Africa Star, Italy Star, Burma Star and France and Germany Star. I know he was wounded in North Africa and spent 2 weeks in a field hospital, I know he was on Operation Agreement, he was at El Ala,ein and D-Day and that's pretty much it. I wanted to know more but he point blank refused to talk about his service to anyone, even his comrades at arms. He wanted to put it ll behind him and he died when I was young anyway.
I wanted to request his service record but I'm not allowed, I have to wait until my father dies.

Those tank crew, it always seemed to me being in a tank was safer but not when there were Tigers or 88's around, Sherman tanks in particular had several dodgy nicknames, 'Tommycooker' amongst them.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 21:26 - May 14 with 1957 viewsDr_Winston

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 21:18 - May 14 by Catullus

I'm the same as you, I know a bit about my grandpa's time, I've read his letters home, he had the Africa Star, Italy Star, Burma Star and France and Germany Star. I know he was wounded in North Africa and spent 2 weeks in a field hospital, I know he was on Operation Agreement, he was at El Ala,ein and D-Day and that's pretty much it. I wanted to know more but he point blank refused to talk about his service to anyone, even his comrades at arms. He wanted to put it ll behind him and he died when I was young anyway.
I wanted to request his service record but I'm not allowed, I have to wait until my father dies.

Those tank crew, it always seemed to me being in a tank was safer but not when there were Tigers or 88's around, Sherman tanks in particular had several dodgy nicknames, 'Tommycooker' amongst them.

I'd hate to be in a tank. Safer from bullets sure, but being trapped inside a vehicle being destroyed doesn't seem like a great way to go. Add submarines to that list too.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 23:58 - May 14 with 1934 viewstheloneranger

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 21:26 - May 14 by Dr_Winston

I'd hate to be in a tank. Safer from bullets sure, but being trapped inside a vehicle being destroyed doesn't seem like a great way to go. Add submarines to that list too.

You can add landing craft to that list ...

Fondly known as "Floating Coffins"

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 00:30 - May 15 with 1923 viewscontroversial_jack

My late father in law was in the SBS and we didn't know until after his death. He served in Malaya, the middle east and goodness knows where else.He rarely talked about it, never attended any military parades or remembrance services and never put a uniform on or referred to himself as a veteran.
BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 02:29 - May 15 with 1896 viewsSlugster664

There are quite a few groups on Facebook that could help you get information, possibly on your Grandfather and the regiment he served with...or if you found out what regiment he was you could try their Home Headquarters(HHQ) I'm sure they'd gladly help you out. Even if they've now been amalgamated the HHQ will hold the information

If you know his regiment but unsure where to look for info, let me know and I may be able to help you out...good luck

STID

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 09:44 - May 15 with 1802 viewsCatullus

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 02:29 - May 15 by Slugster664

There are quite a few groups on Facebook that could help you get information, possibly on your Grandfather and the regiment he served with...or if you found out what regiment he was you could try their Home Headquarters(HHQ) I'm sure they'd gladly help you out. Even if they've now been amalgamated the HHQ will hold the information

If you know his regiment but unsure where to look for info, let me know and I may be able to help you out...good luck

I don't do facebook. I know he was a Royal Marine Commando and I have his service number, somewhere.
I tried a military records search and put his name, birth date and service number in, but nothing came back.
The Royal Marine museum in Southsea has his medals but can't give me any more info because my father refuses to give permission, we argued, haven't spoken in years. So I'll have to wait unitl he dies so my aunty can help.

Thanks for the offer, I might just take you up on it.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 09:59 - May 15 with 1798 viewstheloneranger

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 09:44 - May 15 by Catullus

I don't do facebook. I know he was a Royal Marine Commando and I have his service number, somewhere.
I tried a military records search and put his name, birth date and service number in, but nothing came back.
The Royal Marine museum in Southsea has his medals but can't give me any more info because my father refuses to give permission, we argued, haven't spoken in years. So I'll have to wait unitl he dies so my aunty can help.

Thanks for the offer, I might just take you up on it.

If your father doesn't want to request them, you can still request your grandfather's service records. You’ll only have access to limited information, unless he died more than 25 years ago, if he has then you will have full access.- You will need a death certificate!!

There are 2 different request forms ...

Next of kin's records, OR not next of kin's records.

The 2nd form is how researchers obtain their information and charge you a fortune.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 10:01]

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 12:41 - May 15 with 1765 viewsswan65split

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 19:38 - May 14 by Humpty

Do you know what regiment your grandfather was in?

Mine was in North Africa, then Italy and Greece with 46th RTR.

Sadly no, I have no documentation at all , and trying to find out, even though I have birth certificates/death/marriage etc is proving an issue, as the main questions , date/where he joined army number etc I dont have. even if proved I am his son.

i do have a bundle of papers so it may mean a deep scrutiny of them. some stuff went to other family members!!!! no comment on that one!
BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 17:21 - May 15 with 1729 viewsCatullus

BBC2 now Tank hero's of WW2 on 09:59 - May 15 by theloneranger

If your father doesn't want to request them, you can still request your grandfather's service records. You’ll only have access to limited information, unless he died more than 25 years ago, if he has then you will have full access.- You will need a death certificate!!

There are 2 different request forms ...

Next of kin's records, OR not next of kin's records.

The 2nd form is how researchers obtain their information and charge you a fortune.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 10:01]

Really? When I looked I thought it said you needed the permission of the oldest surviving family member. It's not that my father won't ask, he might have for all I know but he's refused me permission.

Family eh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024