Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 19:25 - Mar 21 with 972 viewsKeithHaynes

Stop Oil.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-60795041

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 19:47 - Mar 21 with 948 viewsCatullus

I broadly agree with them but they have to be realistic. Until we are in the position to stop using oil completely we still have to meet peoples needs.

I wonder if these protestors really appreciate how much oil is a part of their lves and how much they'll have to go without if we just cut it straight out?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 20:11 - Mar 21 with 925 viewsExiledJack

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 19:47 - Mar 21 by Catullus

I broadly agree with them but they have to be realistic. Until we are in the position to stop using oil completely we still have to meet peoples needs.

I wonder if these protestors really appreciate how much oil is a part of their lves and how much they'll have to go without if we just cut it straight out?

Good post Cat. And not just their lives, but the lives of those who are less fortunate than themselves. There would be immense hardship beyond comprehension if we stopped oil overnight.

If the protestors are serious in their convictions, they’d be better served offering a favourable alternative or buying up the oilfields. Instead they choose the performance art route, which I suspect is the driving force behind most protests. Support your local theatres people!
Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 20:19 - Mar 21 with 922 viewsCatullus

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 20:11 - Mar 21 by ExiledJack

Good post Cat. And not just their lives, but the lives of those who are less fortunate than themselves. There would be immense hardship beyond comprehension if we stopped oil overnight.

If the protestors are serious in their convictions, they’d be better served offering a favourable alternative or buying up the oilfields. Instead they choose the performance art route, which I suspect is the driving force behind most protests. Support your local theatres people!

As I posted elsewhere, it's not enough to do good anymore, people have to be seen to be doing good. Even if their very visible actions don't actually achieve anything.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 20:28 - Mar 21 with 902 views73__73

I really wish these types of people would volunteer for the front line in Ukraine.

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 20:35 - Mar 21 with 901 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 20:19 - Mar 21 by Catullus

As I posted elsewhere, it's not enough to do good anymore, people have to be seen to be doing good. Even if their very visible actions don't actually achieve anything.

Let me amend that statement "it's not enough to do good anymore, people have to be seen to be doing something".
They are incredibly ignorant of how the world actually works.
Those that advocate doing without things should have to live the life and leave the rest of us carry on living a modern lifestyle.
Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 23:03 - Mar 21 with 863 viewsAguycalledJack

Didn’t the chap at Everton use cable ties, which are invariably made from nylon, which is produced via oil undergoing an intensive treatment?

The irony of it all.
Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 23:26 - Mar 21 with 848 viewsonehunglow

Yrs,let’s get back to horse and carriage

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 12:20 - Mar 22 with 792 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 23:03 - Mar 21 by AguycalledJack

Didn’t the chap at Everton use cable ties, which are invariably made from nylon, which is produced via oil undergoing an intensive treatment?

The irony of it all.

Everything they wear, everything they use, most of their medicines and most of what they eat come courtesy of Fossil Fuels.
They are absolute know nothings of the worst kind.
Login to get fewer ads

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 14:02 - Mar 22 with 779 viewsonehunglow

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 12:20 - Mar 22 by A_Fans_Dad

Everything they wear, everything they use, most of their medicines and most of what they eat come courtesy of Fossil Fuels.
They are absolute know nothings of the worst kind.

It's called hypocrisy. Simple as that.

Who is middle class? Another box of frogs

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 14:30 - Mar 22 with 773 viewscadleigh

While I agree with Catullus on this, it's interesting that people are drawing attention to this fringe group who have zero chance of affecting any real change.

Meanwhile the libertarian right - who have every chance of getting their chums in government to do their bidding - are increasingly vocal about the need to end Green Levies to bring down energy bills. Disaster capitalism, innit. Narcissists will still try to profit no matter what the cost, because it's unlikely that the world will end while they are still on it and if they aren't, then why should they care?

If someone says 'look over there', always ask what they don't want you to look at instead.

Poll: How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around?

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 14:31 - Mar 22 with 772 viewscadleigh

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 14:30 - Mar 22 by cadleigh

While I agree with Catullus on this, it's interesting that people are drawing attention to this fringe group who have zero chance of affecting any real change.

Meanwhile the libertarian right - who have every chance of getting their chums in government to do their bidding - are increasingly vocal about the need to end Green Levies to bring down energy bills. Disaster capitalism, innit. Narcissists will still try to profit no matter what the cost, because it's unlikely that the world will end while they are still on it and if they aren't, then why should they care?

If someone says 'look over there', always ask what they don't want you to look at instead.

That wasn't a dig at you, Keith

Poll: How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around?

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 15:27 - Mar 22 with 756 viewsScotia

I must say these protests really cheese me off, they do far more harm than good.

I'm an environmentalist and we need to wean ourselves off fossil fuels but this is not they way to encourge people to do so. Or the political climate to protest about their use in.

The UK are doing far more than any other major world economy to mitigate the impacts of climate change, these clowns should be praising our efforts not protesting about them. The fact is though they probably don't realise that.
Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 18:34 - Mar 22 with 734 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 15:27 - Mar 22 by Scotia

I must say these protests really cheese me off, they do far more harm than good.

I'm an environmentalist and we need to wean ourselves off fossil fuels but this is not they way to encourge people to do so. Or the political climate to protest about their use in.

The UK are doing far more than any other major world economy to mitigate the impacts of climate change, these clowns should be praising our efforts not protesting about them. The fact is though they probably don't realise that.

"The UK are doing far more than any other major world economy to mitigate the impacts of climate change"

The UK is doing virtually Net Zero to mitigate the impacts of climate change, beacuse we can't, we do not contribute enough to make any difference.
If you think we are you are totally deluded. At great cost we are saving about 30% of Electricity production, but that is only very small part of our overall Energy use.
Our calculated CO2 contribution to the world's CO2 output is less than 1%. while China increases their output by 2% every year.
Since 2000 we have decreased our CO2 contribution from 2.25% to 0.95% the USA has reduced theirs from 23.82% to 13.54%

So now admit which country has done the most over the last 20 years.
Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 20:28 - Mar 22 with 694 viewsScotia

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 18:34 - Mar 22 by A_Fans_Dad

"The UK are doing far more than any other major world economy to mitigate the impacts of climate change"

The UK is doing virtually Net Zero to mitigate the impacts of climate change, beacuse we can't, we do not contribute enough to make any difference.
If you think we are you are totally deluded. At great cost we are saving about 30% of Electricity production, but that is only very small part of our overall Energy use.
Our calculated CO2 contribution to the world's CO2 output is less than 1%. while China increases their output by 2% every year.
Since 2000 we have decreased our CO2 contribution from 2.25% to 0.95% the USA has reduced theirs from 23.82% to 13.54%

So now admit which country has done the most over the last 20 years.

Emissions, and only Co2 emissions at that, is is a very narrow way of looking at it. But I suspect all that this idiot who cable tied himself to the Goodison Park goal post is considering, along with those who block roads and boycott airports too.

Of course emissions are a concern and the UK can only do so much, but doing our bit is important. Other countries must do far more.

If you consider the full range of climate change mitigation we are punching well above our weight as a country. Using the measure of the CCPI (which isn't perfect, but the only holistic measurement) the UK is fourth in the world above any other G7 country.

I think if Wales was considered individually we'd be even higher than fourth, it wouldn't surprise me if we were top.
Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 21:15 - Mar 22 with 675 viewsKeithHaynes

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 14:31 - Mar 22 by cadleigh

That wasn't a dig at you, Keith

Never took it that way 👍

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 10:49 - Mar 23 with 612 viewsLorax

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 20:28 - Mar 22 by Scotia

Emissions, and only Co2 emissions at that, is is a very narrow way of looking at it. But I suspect all that this idiot who cable tied himself to the Goodison Park goal post is considering, along with those who block roads and boycott airports too.

Of course emissions are a concern and the UK can only do so much, but doing our bit is important. Other countries must do far more.

If you consider the full range of climate change mitigation we are punching well above our weight as a country. Using the measure of the CCPI (which isn't perfect, but the only holistic measurement) the UK is fourth in the world above any other G7 country.

I think if Wales was considered individually we'd be even higher than fourth, it wouldn't surprise me if we were top.

Yes, I think the UK is punching above its weight but AFD always has to be the party pooper. On the other hand though, what we are doing is pretty much irrelevant unless those certain few countries, China, Russia, USA, India, join in and do their bit.

otherwise what we are doing will just turn out to be an expensive waste of time, expensive for us tax payers anyway and not such a worry if you are a high earner. It's us little people who will suffer.
Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 11:47 - Mar 23 with 598 viewsScotia

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 10:49 - Mar 23 by Lorax

Yes, I think the UK is punching above its weight but AFD always has to be the party pooper. On the other hand though, what we are doing is pretty much irrelevant unless those certain few countries, China, Russia, USA, India, join in and do their bit.

otherwise what we are doing will just turn out to be an expensive waste of time, expensive for us tax payers anyway and not such a worry if you are a high earner. It's us little people who will suffer.

To a certain extent it is irrelevant, we're doing our bit and do you know what? It may mean diddly squat in the long term if others don't do the same. We could do more but it would punish us disproportionately.

I have no sympathy for protesters like this, they make the situation worse if anything. I spoke to some ER protesters blocking the road outside Cardiff castle some time back and they were basically idealouge's.

If they want to make a difference they should protest in India or China.
Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 16:12 - Mar 23 with 577 viewsonehunglow

Is this the new middle class thing for 2022 on 11:47 - Mar 23 by Scotia

To a certain extent it is irrelevant, we're doing our bit and do you know what? It may mean diddly squat in the long term if others don't do the same. We could do more but it would punish us disproportionately.

I have no sympathy for protesters like this, they make the situation worse if anything. I spoke to some ER protesters blocking the road outside Cardiff castle some time back and they were basically idealouge's.

If they want to make a difference they should protest in India or China.

We are pretty irrelevant. We are a tiny island on the edge of Europe .

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024