Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Make enough noise.. 12:48 - Dec 2 with 773 viewsCatullus

and even the morally deaf will hear you,

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/mps-give-up-second-jobs-worth-250k-a-year-

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Make enough noise.. on 20:06 - Dec 2 with 698 viewsDr_Winston

Got to be honest, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

It's down to the individual MP's constituents to decide whether or not their MP is doing a good enough job. Let's be honest, any MP who is a minister, shadow or otherwise has a second job in addition to being a constituency MP which they all remain, even the Prime Minister.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Make enough noise.. on 20:48 - Dec 2 with 673 viewsFlashberryjack

Make enough noise.. on 20:06 - Dec 2 by Dr_Winston

Got to be honest, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

It's down to the individual MP's constituents to decide whether or not their MP is doing a good enough job. Let's be honest, any MP who is a minister, shadow or otherwise has a second job in addition to being a constituency MP which they all remain, even the Prime Minister.

Opinions will differ, but I honestly believe being an MP is a full time job, and to avoid any conflict of interest, they shouldn't be doing any other paid work.

This country should be able to find good competent MP's that are prepared to survive on a basic salary of £81,900 pa + allowances and expenses, without the need for second jobs.

Because, lets face it, the quality of MP's we've got at the moment isn't great, even allowing them second jobs.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Make enough noise.. on 21:06 - Dec 2 with 653 viewsCatullus

Make enough noise.. on 20:48 - Dec 2 by Flashberryjack

Opinions will differ, but I honestly believe being an MP is a full time job, and to avoid any conflict of interest, they shouldn't be doing any other paid work.

This country should be able to find good competent MP's that are prepared to survive on a basic salary of £81,900 pa + allowances and expenses, without the need for second jobs.

Because, lets face it, the quality of MP's we've got at the moment isn't great, even allowing them second jobs.

I just cannot believe they can do a second job and do a good enough job as an MP. They kept telling us they deserved an 11% pay rise because they had so much work to do and since then we've had brexit which means even more work.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Make enough noise.. on 21:10 - Dec 2 with 650 viewsDr_Winston

But that's the thing. Any MP who advances beyond the bog standard, back bench constituency MP is already doing a second job. Does a minister spend more or less time concentrating upon his brief than a backbench MP with a bit of consultancy work on the side? It's not that simple.

I suspect we need to move beyond the idea that eighty grand a year is an excellent wage. A good mate of mine would in all likelihood make a decent MP but he already earns forty grand on top of that.

The very best people aren't all that interested in a political career because they don't want the pay cut.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Make enough noise.. on 21:33 - Dec 2 with 631 viewsFlashberryjack

Make enough noise.. on 21:10 - Dec 2 by Dr_Winston

But that's the thing. Any MP who advances beyond the bog standard, back bench constituency MP is already doing a second job. Does a minister spend more or less time concentrating upon his brief than a backbench MP with a bit of consultancy work on the side? It's not that simple.

I suspect we need to move beyond the idea that eighty grand a year is an excellent wage. A good mate of mine would in all likelihood make a decent MP but he already earns forty grand on top of that.

The very best people aren't all that interested in a political career because they don't want the pay cut.

Any MP that advances to the ministerial or back bench ranks, this should/is reflected in his/her/it's salary.

I wouldn't think that most bog standard MP's would be on far more than basic salary, without checking up, I'd say more like over £100,000 pa.

As far as your mate is concerned, what party would he support ?

Hello

Make enough noise.. on 21:49 - Dec 2 with 623 viewsDr_Winston

Make enough noise.. on 21:33 - Dec 2 by Flashberryjack

Any MP that advances to the ministerial or back bench ranks, this should/is reflected in his/her/it's salary.

I wouldn't think that most bog standard MP's would be on far more than basic salary, without checking up, I'd say more like over £100,000 pa.

As far as your mate is concerned, what party would he support ?

You're talking 650 people out of nearly 70 million. Even at £100,000 a year the annual wage bill for MP's would be about £100m. Less than one F35.

And I have absolutely no idea how my friend would vote. His wife would probably be a Tory but as for him I'm stumped.

Make enough noise.. on 22:12 - Dec 2 with 588 viewsFlashberryjack

Make enough noise.. on 21:49 - Dec 2 by Dr_Winston

You're talking 650 people out of nearly 70 million. Even at £100,000 a year the annual wage bill for MP's would be about £100m. Less than one F35.

And I have absolutely no idea how my friend would vote. His wife would probably be a Tory but as for him I'm stumped.

OK, give them £200,000 pa, but money doesn't necessarily buy quality mind, and looking at all the clowns and chancers in Westminster, a £100,000 pa certainly doesn't.

Hello

Make enough noise.. on 22:16 - Dec 2 with 580 viewsmajorraglan

Good post. They can’t have it all ways! They can’t complain and say in one breath they need more money to reflect the additional hours they work, the responsibilities etc and then miraculously find time to take a second job. It’s ridiculous that someone can earn £60k for 20 hours work per year, what exactly is the trade off and what is being provided to justify that kind of outlay. Why would a company pay someone £60k, what are they getting in return?

We need complete transparency which also applies to ministers, none of this nonsense about not having to disclose values in the Ministerial register like Boris is hiding behind (I am not having a particular dig about him it’s just that he’s the current incumbent and the one who seems to be wriggling the most), a regulator with real powers who is independent and has the ability to instigate their own investigations.

To be honest, I’d have no issue with MP’s having a second job limited to say 10 hours a month if the exact detail of what they were doing to was published. I’d apply the same criteria to the House of Lords, County Councillors etc and the AM’s in the Senedd, Holyrood and Stormont.

One thing I’d say in favour of Drakers, they are phasing out the ability of AM’s to employ family members ( some of whom could be on inflated wages) as office managers and case workers etc which in my opinion is a positive. Westminster needs to do the same.
Login to get fewer ads

Make enough noise.. on 09:44 - Dec 3 with 517 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Make enough noise.. on 21:10 - Dec 2 by Dr_Winston

My concern is that people who are excellent in their field will be less inclined to go into political life as they will not be able to maintain their career if the rules are too tight. We will end up with a load more career politicians and less people in politics who know how to run a business successfully or lead an organisation for example.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Make enough noise.. on 19:48 - Dec 3 with 461 viewsDJack

So the obvious answer is a payrise to attract better people and an outright ban on second jobs to ensure they focus on their constituents and also to limit the sleaze.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Make enough noise.. on 10:59 - Dec 4 with 416 viewsCatullus

Make enough noise.. on 19:48 - Dec 3 by DJack

So the obvious answer is a payrise to attract better people and an outright ban on second jobs to ensure they focus on their constituents and also to limit the sleaze.

I would rather that than the way it is now. Pay them 200k per year, no second jobs and no expense accounts either.

I've banged this drum before too but Parliament needs it's own blocks of flats and every constituency is allocated a room which is fully equipped from a central warehouse. All furniture, electronics, everything is supplied this way, they can choose their colour schemes but otherwise every MP gets exactly the same. It'd save money in the long run I'm sure.

We need to eep making noise until they do as we want.

PS, Doc W, that people who earn a lot more than an MP go into politics doesn't show they want to serve the country, does it show that there is a lot more opportunity to make even more money through contacts/cronyism and even nepotism?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024