Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The problems with the UK 18:31 - Jan 10 with 3340 viewsjohnlangy

Ex-diplomat Alexandra Hall Hall sums up EXACTLY what's wrong with UK in brilliant thread in The National.
ALEXANDRA Hall Hall, a former British diplomat, is “starting to question everything” she thought she knew about the UK and its institutions after more than 30 years of government service.

“I woke up this morning feeling strangely unsettled...and realised that despite (or perhaps, because of) 30+yrs in conventional govt service, I'm now starting to question everything I thought I once knew about my country and its institutions.

Top down, our system is undemocratic - prerogative powers exercised on behalf of the Crown, unelected House of Lords, system that gives disproportionate powers to govt, elected with less than 50% vote, imbalance in powers across the Union, cozy nexus of donors, media, politicians.

Populace kept distracted and entertained with never ending diet of shallow news and gossip about royals, toffs, socialites, models, sports, pop, soaps, crime, etc. Feelgood stories or trivia which gloss over the challenges and inequities which actually prevail in our society.

But getting so much worse under this govt, with its systematic efforts to attack and undermine any institutions which counter its narrative or try to hold it to account - parl't, judiciary, NGOs, human rights experts, investigative journalists, standards watchdogs, liberals, etc;

And most sickening of all, shameless posturing and co-option of supposed "patriotic" icons - flags, Churchill, WW2, Britannia, the monarchy, the army, Spirit of the Blitz, pint glasses, and invented rows with external so-called enemies - the French, the EU, the Irish;

Ignoring real threats confronting us - internal and external. Incompetent, self-serving govt at home, failing to tackle domestic challenges; posturing on global issues and our values overseas, while accepting dirty money, selling arms to dubious regimes, and cutting aid

I thought I was a fairly conventional, middle class, middle of the road, Brit - aware that the UK was not perfect, but fundamentally ok. Now, I'm much less sure, and believe a lot needs to change. Perhaps my parents were right...I am a radical after all. Anyone feel the same?”

Very well said.
The problems with the UK on 18:53 - Jan 10 with 2649 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Sound like a civil servant who earned huge wages at taxpayers expense and now has a gold plated pension.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The problems with the UK on 19:27 - Jan 10 with 2623 viewsCatullus

The problems with the UK on 18:53 - Jan 10 by felixstowe_jack

Sound like a civil servant who earned huge wages at taxpayers expense and now has a gold plated pension.

Well she is but that doesn't mean she's wrong! In fact I entirely agree with her.

We need to do away with the Monarchy and the honours system, we need to do away with the House of Lords and have an elected upper chamber. We need a federal system where all regions of the UK have the same powers with only certain powers retained by a much smaller central government.
We need cronyism, nepotism and lobbying removed from Westminster. In fact I'd do away with Westminster as the seat of government and turn it into a tourist attraction. I'd build a new 'seat' North of Watford with purpose built blocks of flats for the MP's and new accommodation for the Cabinet. All those houses in Downing Street could be auctioned off, I'm sure some billionaires would pay an extortionate amount for the Kudos of living there, specially in No10 itself.

We need major change, we need something the current crop of self serving acolytes wouldn't possibly deliver because it would mean major cuts to their gravy train.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The problems with the UK on 19:39 - Jan 10 with 2611 viewsBoundy

The problems with the UK on 19:27 - Jan 10 by Catullus

Well she is but that doesn't mean she's wrong! In fact I entirely agree with her.

We need to do away with the Monarchy and the honours system, we need to do away with the House of Lords and have an elected upper chamber. We need a federal system where all regions of the UK have the same powers with only certain powers retained by a much smaller central government.
We need cronyism, nepotism and lobbying removed from Westminster. In fact I'd do away with Westminster as the seat of government and turn it into a tourist attraction. I'd build a new 'seat' North of Watford with purpose built blocks of flats for the MP's and new accommodation for the Cabinet. All those houses in Downing Street could be auctioned off, I'm sure some billionaires would pay an extortionate amount for the Kudos of living there, specially in No10 itself.

We need major change, we need something the current crop of self serving acolytes wouldn't possibly deliver because it would mean major cuts to their gravy train.

I agree but not in our kids or grandkids lifetimes I'm afraid

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The problems with the UK on 20:58 - Jan 10 with 2576 viewsmajorraglan

And she’s got a fair point.

The work being undertaken to undermine the judiciary is very concerning, the government appear to be reducing any attempts to hold them to account. Boris tried to discredit and get rid of the Electoral Standards watchdog, they are trying to reducing the scope of Judicial Reviews which are finding that the government is “coming up short” in terms of its conduct. These are things that we expect to see happening in China, Russia and places like Zimbabwe, not the UK.
The problems with the UK on 06:48 - Jan 11 with 2494 viewsKilkennyjack

The problems with the UK on 19:39 - Jan 10 by Boundy

I agree but not in our kids or grandkids lifetimes I'm afraid

You dont really agree, you actively support the Churchill, flag, anthem, bbc, TeamGB, and Queen/royals on-going bollox.

This is all going to change in next 5 to 10 years.
Its unsustainable.
The author is 100 per cent correct.
Brexit is tbe death throes of the Brirish Empire.

Scotland will go. Legislation this year for Indy2.
Ireland will be united. Already has provisions in the GFA.
What then for Cymru ? Straight choice - Cymru in EU, or Walesshire for the retired English.
I believe the dragon will stir at last.

If you do agree, then be the change we all need to see.
Start viewing Cymru as a nation and not a cowering Principality.

There is a welsh Tory mp who wants to suspend devolution during pandemic.
Too complex, how does Europe cope ?
And this with 150,000 Covid deaths under Johnson, and no inquiry into how this happened.
They are coming for Cymru, make no mistake.

Beware of the Risen People

The problems with the UK on 08:38 - Jan 11 with 2467 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

The problems with the UK on 06:48 - Jan 11 by Kilkennyjack

You dont really agree, you actively support the Churchill, flag, anthem, bbc, TeamGB, and Queen/royals on-going bollox.

Its unsustainable.

What then for Cymru ? Straight choice - Cymru in EU, or Walesshire for the retired English.

And this with 150,000 Covid deaths under Johnson, and no inquiry into how this happened.

Why can’t wales be independent and not join the EU? There’s no point of the dragon bothering to stir if it’s just going to hand it’s claws and fire breath over to Brussels.
The problems with the UK on 08:43 - Jan 11 with 2466 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Its unsustainable.

Brexit is nothing to do with the so called British Empire

The people of the UK democratically elected to leave the undemocratic EU get over it accept democracy.

Wales voted to leave EU as well and only 14% of it's people want to leave the UK.

Why would the people of Wales want to leave the democratic UK from whom it receives huge and annual subsidies.

Why would Wales want to rejoin the undemocratic EU and have to use the euro as all new members now have to. What benefits would Wales gain from joining the EU.

How would Wales replace all the highly paid UK government jobs like DVLA, HMRC, land registry that would all relocate back to England.

How would the Welsh government replace all the lost tax revenues

Please answer the questions the people of Wales want to know.

The problems with the UK on 09:11 - Jan 11 with 2459 viewstrampie

The problems with the UK on 19:27 - Jan 10 by Catullus

Will you vote accordingly I wonder.....hmm

Out of interest the tweets have apparently been widely shared by SNP types (and no doubt Plaid).

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Login to get fewer ads

The problems with the UK on 11:25 - Jan 11 with 2424 viewsCatullus

The problems with the UK on 09:11 - Jan 11 by trampie

Will you vote accordingly I wonder.....hmm

Out of interest the tweets have apparently been widely shared by SNP types (and no doubt Plaid).

You can only vote for what is on the ballot. I make the best choice I can at the time.

When you asked how did the EU cope, well they didn't really, did they? All sorts of problems emerged.

Scotland cannot make it's own legislation for an indy vote, it doesn't have the legal powers. The GFA gives those powers when certain conditions are met in NI.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

The problems with the UK on 11:36 - Jan 11 with 2415 viewstrampie

The problems with the UK on 11:25 - Jan 11 by Catullus

You can only vote for what is on the ballot. I make the best choice I can at the time.

When you asked how did the EU cope, well they didn't really, did they? All sorts of problems emerged.

Scotland cannot make it's own legislation for an indy vote, it doesn't have the legal powers. The GFA gives those powers when certain conditions are met in NI.

And what have your choices been over the decades ?

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

The problems with the UK on 11:45 - Jan 11 with 2403 viewsCatullus

The problems with the UK on 11:36 - Jan 11 by trampie

And what have your choices been over the decades ?

I voted against devolution. I voted for Tony Blair. I voted to leave the EU. I voted for a local independent candidate at the last GE and in the Senedd elections. I have mostly voted Labour, up until Blair but since Blair my vote is floating in the wind, there to be won.

The problems with the UK on 11:50 - Jan 11 with 2391 viewstrampie

The problems with the UK on 11:45 - Jan 11 by Catullus

I voted against devolution. I voted for Tony Blair. I voted to leave the EU. I voted for a local independent candidate at the last GE and in the Senedd elections. I have mostly voted Labour, up until Blair but since Blair my vote is floating in the wind, there to be won.

That doesn't tie in with the above, you would need to vote Plaid for it to tie in with the above compared to the 3 big Westminster parties.

The problems with the UK on 11:55 - Jan 11 with 2381 viewsCatullus

The problems with the UK on 11:50 - Jan 11 by trampie

That doesn't tie in with the above, you would need to vote Plaid for it to tie in with the above compared to the 3 big Westminster parties.

Of course it ties in, I said I want a federal UK not an indy Wales. I said I voted against devolution. Where in that would indicate a Plaid vote?

it's not so hard to understand surely?

The problems with the UK on 13:27 - Jan 11 with 2341 viewstrampie

I'm talking about Hall Hall tweets.

The problems with the UK on 13:49 - Jan 11 with 2332 viewsunion_jack

The problems with the UK on 11:55 - Jan 11 by Catullus

Of course it ties in, I said I want a federal UK not an indy Wales. I said I voted against devolution. Where in that would indicate a Plaid vote?

it's not so hard to understand surely?

Totally with you in federalism, it’s the way forward.

Not so much flogging off no.10 though😏.

And the Royalty issue is a big one. It needs to be dummed down for sure which I believe will happen in time naturally.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The problems with the UK on 15:42 - Jan 11 with 2289 viewsCatullus

The problems with the UK on 13:27 - Jan 11 by trampie

I'm talking about Hall Hall tweets.

She points out what we already know, what is wrong. She doesn't put forward any ideas, she just says it needs changing.

I don't know if she's said anything besides what's in this post because I don't do twitter.

The problems with the UK on 16:50 - Jan 11 with 2256 viewsKilkennyjack

The problems with the UK on 08:38 - Jan 11 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

Why can’t wales be independent and not join the EU? There’s no point of the dragon bothering to stir if it’s just going to hand it’s claws and fire breath over to Brussels.

A fair point.

Its a debate to be had.
I know my thoughts though ….

The problems with the UK on 16:54 - Jan 11 with 2252 viewsKilkennyjack

The problems with the UK on 08:43 - Jan 11 by felixstowe_jack

Brexit is nothing to do with the so called British Empire

The people of the UK democratically elected to leave the undemocratic EU get over it accept democracy.

Wales voted to leave EU as well and only 14% of it's people want to leave the UK.

Why would the people of Wales want to leave the democratic UK from whom it receives huge and annual subsidies.

Why would Wales want to rejoin the undemocratic EU and have to use the euro as all new members now have to. What benefits would Wales gain from joining the EU.

How would Wales replace all the highly paid UK government jobs like DVLA, HMRC, land registry that would all relocate back to England.

How would the Welsh government replace all the lost tax revenues

Please answer the questions the people of Wales want to know.

It has everything to do with the former British Empire and misplaced English exceptionalism.

See under Farage, Mogg, and Johnson.

Ych a fi … 🤮

The problems with the UK on 17:22 - Jan 11 with 2243 viewsBoundy

Its unsustainable.

You're obviously still holding onto that stiffy you have for me, anyone else I may have been flattered by but knowing how old you are I realise its just a boyish crush so thanks but no thanks.
You could try tinder.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The problems with the UK on 17:24 - Jan 11 with 2242 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The problems with the UK on 16:54 - Jan 11 by Kilkennyjack

It has everything to do with the former British Empire and misplaced English exceptionalism.

See under Farage, Mogg, and Johnson.

Ych a fi … 🤮

Still no answers to any questions and still using the term English for British. You should know better.

The problems with the UK on 21:06 - Jan 11 with 2195 viewsKilkennyjack

The problems with the UK on 17:22 - Jan 11 by Boundy

You're obviously still holding onto that stiffy you have for me, anyone else I may have been flattered by but knowing how old you are I realise its just a boyish crush so thanks but no thanks.
You could try tinder.

Quite funny for you fair play …. 👏🏾

The problems with the UK on 21:22 - Jan 11 with 2187 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Please can we see sense and reason and put westminster and this unholy union to bed.
The problems with the UK on 22:58 - Jan 11 with 2161 viewsKilkennyjack

The problems with the UK on 21:22 - Jan 11 by blaenaugwentjack

Please can we see sense and reason and put westminster and this unholy union to bed.

‘There are no more mines, and people dont go to church so much any
more, so time now to get off your knees people of wales - and tell Tory England to feck right off’

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

The problems with the UK on 23:00 - Jan 11 with 2158 viewsKilkennyjack

The problems with the UK on 17:24 - Jan 11 by felixstowe_jack

Still no answers to any questions and still using the term English for British. You should know better.

The problems with the UK on 12:22 - Jan 12 with 2095 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The problems with the UK on 23:00 - Jan 11 by Kilkennyjack

Still no answered any of the questions .

More good news for the remainers and the UK

Brixham fish market has recored a record yearly sales for fish landed with most going to Europe. The remainers predicted the end of the UK fishing industry.

The pound has risen by 10% this year against the Euro despite remainers prediction it would crash to parity.

Uk Unemployment still falling and is a third lower than the EU average. The remainers predicted a million jobs would be lost.

South Shield recently expanded container port was visited by its first container ship from China. This has cut distribution time and distances for goods for the North of England as well as creating new jobs for the North.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024