Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Normandy d day anniversary 09:24 - May 11 with 1599 viewsswan65split

I am off out there for this years, my first visit,

Has anyone any suggestions of places /things to visit whist there to do with D Day TIA.
Normandy d day anniversary on 09:29 - May 11 with 1333 viewsonehunglow

Mont St Michel and if find any of the west coast Cotentin resorts like Julouville

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Normandy d day anniversary on 09:56 - May 11 with 1336 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

I was there a few years ago the American war cemetery at Colleville is a must, if nothing else go there. There are a number of good museums, the one at Pegasus Bridge was one I remember well.
The French do a brilliant job, we visited Angoville where two US medics treated both German and Allied soldiers as the town changed hands several times after the landings, there was a big ceremony and a parachute drop and all the locals dressed up in period clothing.
I found it all surprisingly poignant and at the same time had a great visit thanks to the people of Normandy who do so much to remember that time.
[Post edited 11 May 2022 10:10]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Normandy d day anniversary on 10:08 - May 11 with 1321 viewsLorax

It's a trip I long to do one day, soon hopefully. I want to visit where my Grandfather landed which, as far as I can find out was Gold beach.
Normandy d day anniversary on 12:32 - May 11 with 1284 viewsswan65split

Thanks I have most of those on the list already, it seems that Pegasus bridge will be a regular crossing as we are staying not far from there.

Interesting read on Angoville , reading that and some of the posts on here today, makes you feel how lucky we are.

Let s not forget that.
Normandy d day anniversary on 15:52 - May 11 with 1249 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

D day was made up by the western media. The Germans aren’t losing. Watch William Joyce on YouTube for the truth from a truly independent journalist.
Normandy d day anniversary on 16:49 - May 11 with 1237 viewsTreforys_Jack

I really wouldn't go on the anniversary if you have a choice, it'll be crazy, however if you do, make sure you do the beaches, Juno has a fantastic museum, the Overlord museum, Pegasus Bridge museum. Visit St Mere Englise, that has a good museum as well. Not been for about 5yrs, so others have probably sprung up. No doubt you'll spot things just driving around, you will see Allied and German armour displayed on roundabouts, memorials everywhere. Get a decent guidebook. Good luck.
Normandy d day anniversary on 19:45 - May 11 with 1212 viewsswan65split

Normandy d day anniversary on 16:49 - May 11 by Treforys_Jack

I really wouldn't go on the anniversary if you have a choice, it'll be crazy, however if you do, make sure you do the beaches, Juno has a fantastic museum, the Overlord museum, Pegasus Bridge museum. Visit St Mere Englise, that has a good museum as well. Not been for about 5yrs, so others have probably sprung up. No doubt you'll spot things just driving around, you will see Allied and German armour displayed on roundabouts, memorials everywhere. Get a decent guidebook. Good luck.

I know what you mean about the timing, but it gives a chance to get some of the atmosphere of the event, and we are there for nearly 2 weeks, so most of the mayhem will have gone.
Also me and the missis cant thunder about day after day so there'll be some bunkering down at some stages taking in the sights of rural France.
Normandy d day anniversary on 21:30 - May 11 with 1193 viewsmajorraglan

Normandy d day anniversary on 19:45 - May 11 by swan65split

I know what you mean about the timing, but it gives a chance to get some of the atmosphere of the event, and we are there for nearly 2 weeks, so most of the mayhem will have gone.
Also me and the missis cant thunder about day after day so there'll be some bunkering down at some stages taking in the sights of rural France.

We stopped off in Normandy for a few days while on route home after a holiday in France, had the kids who were about 13 and 16 with us, so it was a case of balancing competing needs and demands. We stayed in a very nice small hotel a short walk from Pegasus Bridge and it’s museum. We toured the coast and there are lots of memorials on the beaches, every village has a memorial. Arrowmanches has the 360 degree theatre, gun bunkers, mulberry harbour and is worth visiting. Bayeux is nearby there are war museums, a cemetery and the tapestry. Didn’t have the opportunity to go further West to Utah and Gold beaches and is somewhere I need to return to.

We also went to Honfluer and drove back along the coast through Deauville which is a nice stop off.Why do the French do coastal resorts much nicer than we do?
Login to get fewer ads

Normandy d day anniversary on 05:38 - May 12 with 1174 viewsTreforys_Jack

Normandy d day anniversary on 19:45 - May 11 by swan65split

Good stuff, 2 weeks, sounds awesome , maybe consider hiring a guide for a day or 2, they can put some detail to what your looking at, especially around the beaches.
[Post edited 12 May 2022 11:21]
Normandy d day anniversary on 10:56 - May 12 with 1126 viewsonehunglow

Normandy d day anniversary on 21:30 - May 11 by majorraglan

We stopped off in Normandy for a few days while on route home after a holiday in France, had the kids who were about 13 and 16 with us, so it was a case of balancing competing needs and demands. We stayed in a very nice small hotel a short walk from Pegasus Bridge and it’s museum. We toured the coast and there are lots of memorials on the beaches, every village has a memorial. Arrowmanches has the 360 degree theatre, gun bunkers, mulberry harbour and is worth visiting. Bayeux is nearby there are war museums, a cemetery and the tapestry. Didn’t have the opportunity to go further West to Utah and Gold beaches and is somewhere I need to return to.

We also went to Honfluer and drove back along the coast through Deauville which is a nice stop off.Why do the French do coastal resorts much nicer than we do?

Good point. We did Utah en route to Cherbourg .
French resports have real class.
Their street roof is often stunning,mainly because eating the crap ours queue for would lead to bloodshed in France .

They tend to prefer slow food.They prefer quality which is obvious lookin*around our resorts which are full of overfed gluttons

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Normandy d day anniversary on 11:13 - May 12 with 1134 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Normandy d day anniversary on 10:56 - May 12 by onehunglow

Good point. We did Utah en route to Cherbourg .
French resports have real class.
Their street roof is often stunning,mainly because eating the crap ours queue for would lead to bloodshed in France .

They tend to prefer slow food.They prefer quality which is obvious lookin*around our resorts which are full of overfed gluttons

Very True, some great restaurants including Le Bar de l'Hotel Barrière at Deauville.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Normandy d day anniversary (n/t) on 11:32 - May 12 with 1126 viewsswan65split

Normandy d day anniversary on 05:38 - May 12 by Treforys_Jack

Good stuff, 2 weeks, sounds awesome , maybe consider hiring a guide for a day or 2, they can put some detail to what your looking at, especially around the beaches.

Sorry about that PC going haywire.

Hiring a guide is a good idea, but also think it would lead to issues, cant see them putting up with me and the Mrs for long, LoL

Last time we went to France, we went to see some cemeteries from the 14-18 war, met a Frenchman there who didn't speak English and us no French, but after 20 mins we learnt he was there doing voluntary work searching out graves for peoples relatives and geo caching them for them to locate ,
[Post edited 12 May 2022 11:37]
Normandy d day anniversary on 20:53 - May 12 with 1079 viewsTreforys_Jack

Get a good guide book and decide what you want to see, make some sort of plan. Forgot to mention Colville cemetery is a must

Edit, I see someone mentioned Coleville earlier in the thread.
[Post edited 12 May 2022 20:55]
Normandy d day anniversary on 08:59 - May 13 with 1054 viewsswan65split

Normandy d day anniversary on 20:53 - May 12 by Treforys_Jack

Get a good guide book and decide what you want to see, make some sort of plan. Forgot to mention Colville cemetery is a must

Edit, I see someone mentioned Coleville earlier in the thread.
[Post edited 12 May 2022 20:55]

Ive downloaded the D Day events programme , had a browse on the tinternet for some sites etc. so over the next week work out some sort of schedule, and to see where I can take in 1, 2 or more sites on a day out drive.

I am looking forward to it, and I also know how emotional and gut wrenching it is at times from a previous visit to mass war graves.

At home I would suggest a visit to the Eden Camp in yorks. the last hall, the chapel is an eye opener to the pointless loss of life brought about by the madness of a few people!

https://www.edencamp.co.uk/
Normandy d day anniversary on 09:16 - May 13 with 1049 viewsTreforys_Jack

I know what you mean when you say it's emotional. It's recognising the sacrifices people made in the name of freedom and democracy. As the saying goes, "All gave some, some gave all".
Spent all this week on the Somme and yesterday afternoon at Mametz. Very moving is all I can say. Beautiful woods, peaceful and tranquil, hard to visualise what it was like 105yrs ago.
Normandy d day anniversary on 09:58 - May 13 with 1043 viewsLorax

Normandy d day anniversary on 09:16 - May 13 by Treforys_Jack

I know what you mean when you say it's emotional. It's recognising the sacrifices people made in the name of freedom and democracy. As the saying goes, "All gave some, some gave all".
Spent all this week on the Somme and yesterday afternoon at Mametz. Very moving is all I can say. Beautiful woods, peaceful and tranquil, hard to visualise what it was like 105yrs ago.

The Somme, Lochnagar crater. Covered in grass and flowers these days, hard to picture the events that made it.
Normandy d day anniversary on 10:00 - May 13 with 1041 viewsTreforys_Jack

Normandy d day anniversary on 09:58 - May 13 by Lorax

The Somme, Lochnagar crater. Covered in grass and flowers these days, hard to picture the events that made it.

It certainly is cats, all very serene.
Normandy d day anniversary on 19:25 - Jun 17 with 846 viewsswan65split

Thanks for the info guys, had a good visit, and met some nice people from all over EU and 2 local lads from Neath and Brecon, both bikers on a 3-4 day tour of the area.

I also had an amazing surreal meeting with a 96 yr old D Day veteran , that was for us the highlight, and very moving 20 mins, but that's another story.

My biggest mistake was where we were based, we should have gone the other side of Caen, as the travelling took up some time. But I would recommend it to everyone, as stated by someone Overlord was outstanding.
Normandy d day anniversary on 19:45 - Jun 17 with 839 viewsLorax

Normandy d day anniversary on 19:25 - Jun 17 by swan65split

Thanks for the info guys, had a good visit, and met some nice people from all over EU and 2 local lads from Neath and Brecon, both bikers on a 3-4 day tour of the area.

I also had an amazing surreal meeting with a 96 yr old D Day veteran , that was for us the highlight, and very moving 20 mins, but that's another story.

My biggest mistake was where we were based, we should have gone the other side of Caen, as the travelling took up some time. But I would recommend it to everyone, as stated by someone Overlord was outstanding.

It's a trip I really have to make one day. Obviously it looks a lot different now but these places where big things happened, they seem to hold an atmosphere from the past, it's hard to explain but many people say they have felt it.
Normandy d day anniversary on 20:05 - Jun 17 with 827 viewsswan65split

Normandy d day anniversary on 19:45 - Jun 17 by Lorax

It's a trip I really have to make one day. Obviously it looks a lot different now but these places where big things happened, they seem to hold an atmosphere from the past, it's hard to explain but many people say they have felt it.

Make it, you wont be disappointed, it depends on the person you are, on what the feelings you experience will be no doubt, but looking around the graves, and seeing so many 18 -20 odd lives lost, and seeing the damage left on relics and museum pieces surely made an impression, seeing a film in the Pegasus museum, and the youngest killed being 16 brought a tear to many an eye there.

I also had a chat with a Frenchman whose G/father was in the resistance and hid 6 allies in hiding, the tales of interrogation, torture and death widened what was happening there.
Normandy d day anniversary on 20:19 - Jun 17 with 824 viewsLorax

Normandy d day anniversary on 20:05 - Jun 17 by swan65split

Make it, you wont be disappointed, it depends on the person you are, on what the feelings you experience will be no doubt, but looking around the graves, and seeing so many 18 -20 odd lives lost, and seeing the damage left on relics and museum pieces surely made an impression, seeing a film in the Pegasus museum, and the youngest killed being 16 brought a tear to many an eye there.

I also had a chat with a Frenchman whose G/father was in the resistance and hid 6 allies in hiding, the tales of interrogation, torture and death widened what was happening there.

I have no doubt it will deeply affect me, when I get there. My grandfather survived Gold beach, he survived the war and the more I learned about him (though sadly he died when I was quite young) the more of a hero he became.

Not because he was a Royal Marine Commando, a big, bad, rough, tough killing machine but because like millions of others, he did what he did because it had to be done and even so, he was ashamed and horrified of the war and things he'd done and never wanted to talk about it. He wanted to put the war behind him and go back to being a postie, to be human again.
I looked into his military records, not to idolise the soldier but to give context to the man who I only remember as this big, smiling, happy bloke.
Normandy d day anniversary on 00:49 - Jun 18 with 806 viewsTreforys_Jack

Normandy d day anniversary on 20:19 - Jun 17 by Lorax

I have no doubt it will deeply affect me, when I get there. My grandfather survived Gold beach, he survived the war and the more I learned about him (though sadly he died when I was quite young) the more of a hero he became.

Not because he was a Royal Marine Commando, a big, bad, rough, tough killing machine but because like millions of others, he did what he did because it had to be done and even so, he was ashamed and horrified of the war and things he'd done and never wanted to talk about it. He wanted to put the war behind him and go back to being a postie, to be human again.
I looked into his military records, not to idolise the soldier but to give context to the man who I only remember as this big, smiling, happy bloke.

That's exactly it, they were just ordinary people like you and me. Your Grandfather was probably an ordinary man, who did extraordinary courageous things.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024