Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? 13:30 - Oct 6 with 1389 viewsmagicdaps10

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 13:48 - Oct 6 with 1366 viewsjack247

Torn on this. I thought Naughton was our best defender last season and he kind of marshals the defence. I’m convinced Cabango and Wood are better with him between them.

Having said that, he’s been a liability lately. More down to lapses of concentration than anything else. I don’t think Darling would do his job as well, but on the other hand, wouldn’t make as many sloppy mistakes, would add physicality and potentially goal threat.

On the balance of it, I’d put Kyle on the bench next game.
Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 14:08 - Oct 6 with 1342 viewslifelong

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 13:48 - Oct 6 by jack247

Torn on this. I thought Naughton was our best defender last season and he kind of marshals the defence. I’m convinced Cabango and Wood are better with him between them.

Having said that, he’s been a liability lately. More down to lapses of concentration than anything else. I don’t think Darling would do his job as well, but on the other hand, wouldn’t make as many sloppy mistakes, would add physicality and potentially goal threat.

On the balance of it, I’d put Kyle on the bench next game.

Bit strong calling him a liability, made a couple of mistakes lately but no way a liability, after his shoulder injury on Saturday when he should have been substituted and probably rested for last night.
A quality player not appreciated by some.
Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 14:15 - Oct 6 with 1326 viewsjack247

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 14:08 - Oct 6 by lifelong

Bit strong calling him a liability, made a couple of mistakes lately but no way a liability, after his shoulder injury on Saturday when he should have been substituted and probably rested for last night.
A quality player not appreciated by some.

I’m one of his biggest fans and have spent years on here defending him.

He has been a liability the last couple of games though. We’ve conceded three goals, he was responsible for two of them. He was very lucky Wood saved him from another last night.

I know it was a few games back, but he was at fault for the Sheffield United goal too.

If he cuts the sloppy mistakes, he’s the first name on my team sheet for everything else he brings to the team. I’m hoping it is down to the knock he took Saturday, but it looked more like being too casual or not concentrating.
Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 14:28 - Oct 6 with 1302 viewsmagicdaps10

Some cracking points made there in the first post and its not automatically a straight fix with Darling stepping in...... sometimes it's better the devil you know.

Naughton made a massive error in the Sheff Utd match that cost us and he made a couple last night with one resulting in their goal.

Plenty to think on for sure.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 14:31 - Oct 6 with 1301 viewsDr_Winston

Teams need to be selected on form. Too often in recent seasons we've seen players picked week in, week out when their performances simply don't justify it.

Naughton was magnificent last season and during his entire career here has rarely been less than a 7/10. Lately however he's struggled so should take a back seat for a bit.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 14:38 - Oct 6 with 1280 viewsItchySphincter

Naughton has been a good soldier but let’s not pretend that he hasn’t been at the heart of a lot of our problems this season. He one of Russ’s guys, too much so.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2022 20:04]

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 14:40 - Oct 6 with 1278 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Naughton is obviously a good pro who looks after himself well and has rarely been injured. His physical fitness is never in question. You do wonder though as is the case of the other Mr Undroppable Matt Grimes when you play 90+ minutes three times a week the mental fatigue must set in at some point as well and that’s what causes a lot of these errors.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 16:07 - Oct 6 with 1209 views7snowboards

Considering that Naughton has recently been a liability, and that there will be 3 games in 8 days, I think we should probably rest him for a few days and give Darling a run in the team for a few games, otherwise what was the point of signing him if the manager doesn't trust him at all.
Login to get fewer ads

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 16:41 - Oct 6 with 1180 viewsRichardO

After buying Darling as a quality player it seems strange we are not using him.
Having said that would you change a winning team?
Obviously that is just what Martin did on Wednesday he changed the team from the win against WBA.
The team seems settled defensively can we afford the change?

We have lost games this season playing both Ntcham and Paterson so I don't want to see that.
And I definitely don't want wholesale changes (as that has resulted in the past with us being totally shapeless) maybe Darling for Naughton.

It is nice to have the option of Cundle and Ollie Cooper. We also have Allen to come back and think Congreve is still worth persevering with but maybe not in the middle.
It is up to the manager. to read how the game is going and act accordingly.
Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 18:08 - Oct 6 with 1113 viewsKeithHaynes

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 16:41 - Oct 6 by RichardO

Obviously that is just what Martin did on Wednesday he changed the team from the win against WBA.

We have lost games this season playing both Ntcham and Paterson so I don't want to see that.
And I definitely don't want wholesale changes (as that has resulted in the past with us being totally shapeless) maybe Darling for Naughton.

It is nice to have the option of Cundle and Ollie Cooper. We also have Allen to come back and think Congreve is still worth persevering with but maybe not in the middle.

We don’t need Paterson and should not use him until he wants to play for a move to another club to impress them.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 09:09 - Oct 8 with 839 viewsguthrieintherain

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 16:41 - Oct 6 by RichardO

We got a good squad now plenty of options all over the pitch.

Darling who is a quality player not getting picked speaks volumes how good it is.

Ollie Cooper another one been playing really well couldn't get in the side against Watford.

Cundle and Flex both look good as well.

The owners and management have done well to assemble such a talented squad.

Poll: What will happen with Morgan Whittaker

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 10:07 - Oct 8 with 806 viewsRichardO

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 09:09 - Oct 8 by guthrieintherain

Darling who is a quality player not getting picked speaks volumes how good it is.

Ollie Cooper another one been playing really well couldn't get in the side against Watford.

As you say the squad has better options this year.
I lamented the loss of Downes but the addition of much needed defenders seems to be paying dividends.
Hopefully this year Martin is listening to his coaching team around him helping him adapt to changes in a game and not persevering with tactics and player combinations that don't work.
All managers can get stuck doing things that eventually don't work, which is a concern when applied to utilisation or older player but sometimes the younger players need the help of older players to gain more experience to step up a level.
Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 10:13 - Oct 8 with 804 viewsSTID2017

Good post and some salient points.
Up to Martin now to use all the squad as needed.
Perhaps time to rest Naughton ?

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 10:59 - Oct 8 with 773 viewskrunchykarrot

Big fan of KN as ive stated previously, however if you are sitting on the bench like Darling is and probably rightly so IMO you must be thinking its time for a start. We need to develop Darling and i would start him today but i dont see him in training, so i guess we need to trust RM to make the decision.
Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 12:23 - Oct 8 with 717 viewsKeithHaynes

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 10:07 - Oct 8 by RichardO

As you say the squad has better options this year.
I lamented the loss of Downes but the addition of much needed defenders seems to be paying dividends.
Hopefully this year Martin is listening to his coaching team around him helping him adapt to changes in a game and not persevering with tactics and player combinations that don't work.
All managers can get stuck doing things that eventually don't work, which is a concern when applied to utilisation or older player but sometimes the younger players need the help of older players to gain more experience to step up a level.

I’m unsure as to what the coaches he has around him have said to him Richard.
But progression and development is a daily routine for anyone in any job.
And to be able to enable that and pass on those key areas to others is most certainly a quality.

And Martin has it in abundance if as you say has happened. It takes a brave leader to adapt and implement new areas and work with his peers to the betterment of everyone.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 12:58 - Oct 8 with 692 viewsRichardO

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 12:23 - Oct 8 by KeithHaynes

I’m unsure as to what the coaches he has around him have said to him Richard.
But progression and development is a daily routine for anyone in any job.
And to be able to enable that and pass on those key areas to others is most certainly a quality.

And Martin has it in abundance if as you say has happened. It takes a brave leader to adapt and implement new areas and work with his peers to the betterment of everyone.

Sometime the manager being brave worries me, his changes to the team for Wednesday game did but in the end justified?
He might not swap Darling for Naughton but may rest Woods or Cabango instead to keep the old head on the pitch.
He would be brave to drop either as for me they have to be first names on the team sheet
Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 21:10 - Oct 8 with 621 viewsBadlands

Darling like Cabango is a central CB unlike Cabango he isn’t as amenable or able to play wide.
I still see Wood as the weaker of our four CBs.
We missed Naughton's experience today imo.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 21:49 - Oct 8 with 593 viewsRichardO

Naughton or Darling for Sunderland? on 21:10 - Oct 8 by Badlands

Darling like Cabango is a central CB unlike Cabango he isn’t as amenable or able to play wide.
I still see Wood as the weaker of our four CBs.
We missed Naughton's experience today imo.

The weaker Wood who seems to be able to get into goal saving positions from other people's mistake.
I was surprised Wood was taken off today but even more surprised Naughton didn't come on in his place.
But ultimately the changes worked in our favour.
Very happy to see Cabango, Darling and Wood getting valuable game time to increase their experience at this level.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024