Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Right Back / Left Back 14:01 - Jul 20 with 970 viewsAussieSwan

Unlike midfielders and strikers, there hasn't been a lot of talk about a new Right or Left Back, when many people believe we need to upgrade one or both positions.

Rangel and Taylor were first choice when we were first promoted back in 2011/12, and still are right now. I just feel that now might be the time to kick on and replace them with some quality in those positions, with the new TV money and the supposed American investment as well. Having said that, Tabanou could well work out so I highly doubt we'll sign a LB this window (should he stay).

Both great club servants, no question, but how many other PL sides would they be first choice at? I just feel as if they were exposed at times last season and there might be some better options out there.

Do you think they will or should be first-choice come September, or should we be looking at upgrading?

Keen to hear others' thoughts on this, cheers
[Post edited 20 Jul 2016 14:02]

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

Right Back / Left Back on 14:08 - Jul 20 with 953 viewslondonlisa2001

I think we have the worst pair of starting full backs in the division.

Both need replacing - I could just about live with Kingsley / Taylor in the left as we need to be practical and we won't replace everyone, but Rangel is just jot good enough any more - his pace such as it ever was, has gone and Naughton is a back up to both, not a starter.

By the way - I think Tabanou is about to sign for Malaga isn't he?
Right Back / Left Back on 14:13 - Jul 20 with 938 viewsClinton

Upgrading the fullbacks was relentlessly called for on the forum last season.
Kingsley / Taylor to share left back role. We should give Kingsley sufficient game time to know whether he is the long term solution. I hope he is.
Fat Frank may be a wingback or winger, but didnt seem to have the qualities needed to be first choice left back.
Initially, Naughton at right back, Rangel take games where there isnt a sparkling winger against him and where we need additional attacking options. A new right-back wouldnt go amiss, but has to be an improvement on what we have otherwise why bother?
Just a point, I wonder about Taylor as a right back. hes right footed and did well in that role for the olympic team some years ago.
Just another point. what about converting Dyer to a rightback, I reckon he'd do well and once he stopped giving away penalties, could be an option.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Right Back / Left Back on 14:15 - Jul 20 with 934 viewsAussieSwan

Right Back / Left Back on 14:08 - Jul 20 by londonlisa2001

I think we have the worst pair of starting full backs in the division.

Both need replacing - I could just about live with Kingsley / Taylor in the left as we need to be practical and we won't replace everyone, but Rangel is just jot good enough any more - his pace such as it ever was, has gone and Naughton is a back up to both, not a starter.

By the way - I think Tabanou is about to sign for Malaga isn't he?

Have to agree with this. RB is a higher priority than LB but both should be replaced soon. We need to push on now - can't let sentiment dictate our transfers, need to be a bit more ruthless like other clubs

Haven't heard re Tabanou (not much Swansea news gets down to Australia) but the fact he wasn't selected on the US Tour is telling. Wouldn't surprise me at all

Right Back / Left Back on 14:51 - Jul 20 with 886 viewsjack247

I think we are ok at left back. Whether people prefer Taylor or Kingsley, we seem pretty well covered for first choice and back up.

Right back is more of a worry. Rangel is fine positionally and still good going forward. It just takes him longer to get back than it used to. Don't think Guidolin rates Naughton that highly. We seem to have two excellent back up options there but could do with a nailed on first choice.
Right Back / Left Back on 14:57 - Jul 20 with 874 viewsGriffting

Fullbacks are very worrying at the moment. Right back doesn't even seem to have been looked at either. Martin caceres is still available for a free, can play all across the back competently. Wouldn't mind seeing us go in for him.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2016 14:57]
Right Back / Left Back on 15:29 - Jul 20 with 832 viewstomdickharry

With Dyer back the Rangel/Dyer axis could be our starting duo at season start,however,feel a new right back should be a priority,would go for Christie of Derby.
Right Back / Left Back on 15:54 - Jul 20 with 789 viewsSheffieldjack

Of the two positions it's at right back that the need is the most obvious. I can't understand why we are leaving time go by without addressing some of the glaring inadequacies of the current squad. I just hope that plans are in place and that new players are on their way - right back and one/ two new strikers.
Right Back / Left Back on 16:01 - Jul 20 with 775 viewsTheKirkyLife

As much as I feel we need a top class LB now I think we need to give Kingsley a chance. For such a young player he fit in so well and of course with Taylor you have a second option who will do the job.

RB is a pressing concern however. We gave Naughton a chance and though he does okay he does about as well as Tayls; aka a back up option. Who to go for though is the question. We could of course look at the demoted sides who have Janmaat and Bacuna - neither of whom I'd like at the club - and then of course we could look at those out of favour at clubs above us both in the UK and outside.
Login to get fewer ads

Right Back / Left Back on 16:21 - Jul 20 with 752 viewsshandyjack

any chance FG fancies Roberts to come in and provide additonal cover at RB and is happy with his 3 options there. Maybe he sees other areas and more prssing concern and might dip in if any money is left depending on priority targets and the cost of them?

Poll: Expectation for the season

Right Back / Left Back on 16:38 - Jul 20 with 729 viewsjasper_T

Right Back / Left Back on 14:13 - Jul 20 by Clinton

Upgrading the fullbacks was relentlessly called for on the forum last season.
Kingsley / Taylor to share left back role. We should give Kingsley sufficient game time to know whether he is the long term solution. I hope he is.
Fat Frank may be a wingback or winger, but didnt seem to have the qualities needed to be first choice left back.
Initially, Naughton at right back, Rangel take games where there isnt a sparkling winger against him and where we need additional attacking options. A new right-back wouldnt go amiss, but has to be an improvement on what we have otherwise why bother?
Just a point, I wonder about Taylor as a right back. hes right footed and did well in that role for the olympic team some years ago.
Just another point. what about converting Dyer to a rightback, I reckon he'd do well and once he stopped giving away penalties, could be an option.

Taylor isn't right footed.
Right Back / Left Back on 16:58 - Jul 20 with 703 viewsmacthejack

We've become to accustomed to mediocrity at this club. None of our full backs are good enough to be starters for a club that aspires to be a regular top half team. Kingsley may well become good enough but it's too early to completely rely on him just yet.
Right Back / Left Back on 17:12 - Jul 20 with 681 viewskarnataka

Right Back / Left Back on 15:29 - Jul 20 by tomdickharry

With Dyer back the Rangel/Dyer axis could be our starting duo at season start,however,feel a new right back should be a priority,would go for Christie of Derby.

I saw Cyrus Christie in Faro Airport just this morning with most of the other players and the loopy Mr Pearson was there too! Derby played Benfica at the weekend.
Right Back / Left Back on 17:14 - Jul 20 with 679 viewsJango

I find it so frustrating watching the fullbacks at the likes of West Ham, Spurs, Leicester even Bournemouth bombing up and down the touch line creating so many chances, then watching our fullbacks who are light years behind. We messed up the year we decided to ship out all the Spanish players and replaced them with rubbish rather keep them and improve positions that needed it like fullback especially.
Right Back / Left Back on 17:35 - Jul 20 with 652 viewsAl_Bundy

The club won't replace Rangel.. well not yet. Loyal player , face fits etc

The fullbacks was an issue last year and will be even greater issue this season.

Too much focus on keeping average players for this league on contracts and looking to bring in ex-players for reasons that are lost on me.
Right Back / Left Back on 13:12 - Jul 21 with 478 viewsAussieSwan

Right Back / Left Back on 17:35 - Jul 20 by Al_Bundy

The club won't replace Rangel.. well not yet. Loyal player , face fits etc

The fullbacks was an issue last year and will be even greater issue this season.

Too much focus on keeping average players for this league on contracts and looking to bring in ex-players for reasons that are lost on me.

Agree. Shows a real lack of ambition in my opinion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024