Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2nd Covid wave starting? 09:00 - Jun 28 with 5280 viewskarnataka

Government considering emergency lockdown in Leicester after 650 new cases

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-britain-leicester/uk-consid
2nd Covid wave starting? on 10:02 - Jun 28 with 3868 viewsProfessor

Not really, transmission rates are still too high to consider we are through the ‘first wave’ fully. I think we will see these local hot spots rumbling on. Then local lockdowns may be needed. Though these would need travel restrictions like in Wales or people will just shoot up the M1 to Nottingham or down the M69 to Coventry.
Not clear why Leicester has a problem, whereas the others are due to meat processing plants. Large Asian population but lots more Indian rather than Bangladeshi/Pakistani hence more Hindus and Sikhs. I wonder if the latter is a factor due to the social factors in Sikhism around providing meals etc around temples?
2nd Covid wave starting? on 10:15 - Jun 28 with 3832 viewsDr_Winston

2nd Covid wave starting? on 10:02 - Jun 28 by Professor

Not really, transmission rates are still too high to consider we are through the ‘first wave’ fully. I think we will see these local hot spots rumbling on. Then local lockdowns may be needed. Though these would need travel restrictions like in Wales or people will just shoot up the M1 to Nottingham or down the M69 to Coventry.
Not clear why Leicester has a problem, whereas the others are due to meat processing plants. Large Asian population but lots more Indian rather than Bangladeshi/Pakistani hence more Hindus and Sikhs. I wonder if the latter is a factor due to the social factors in Sikhism around providing meals etc around temples?

Be interesting to see what happens if transmission rates remain relatively high yet stable and the death rate continues to fall due to improved treatment/less susceptible infected/viral mutation etc.

Do we then continue with restrictions or do be begin to treat it like flu, which a lot of people get but few die from?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

2nd Covid wave starting? on 10:43 - Jun 28 with 3785 viewsexhmrc1

I remember seeing something a few days ago that there is a problem at a meat processing factory in Leicester. It must be the Wags fault according to some on here despite clear evidence otherwise. Swansea Bay Health Board 3 new cases in the last 4 days, Aneurin Bevan Health Board 7 cases in the last 4 days, Powys Health Board 1 case last 4 days, Hywel Dda Health Board 6 cases last 4 days, Cwm Taf Health Board 14 cases last 4 days and Cardiff Bay Health Board 23 cases last 4 days only 3 of which have been in the last 2 days. 55 new cases plus possibly a few more Pillar 2 throughout most of Wales in 16 local authorities averaging less than 1 per day per authority yet some prefer to focus on the 2 meat processing factories in Llangefni and Wrexham and blame Drakeford. Just to put the record straight there were 171 cases in Betsi Cadwalladr largely due to the 2 factories.
2nd Covid wave starting? on 11:16 - Jun 28 with 3727 viewsProfessor

2nd Covid wave starting? on 10:15 - Jun 28 by Dr_Winston

Be interesting to see what happens if transmission rates remain relatively high yet stable and the death rate continues to fall due to improved treatment/less susceptible infected/viral mutation etc.

Do we then continue with restrictions or do be begin to treat it like flu, which a lot of people get but few die from?

Probably by 2022 we will accept it is an endemic and recurring problem. Fewer will get sick, and even fewer die for the reasons stated. I think we may see face masks on public transport and even at large events for years to come
2nd Covid wave starting? on 12:10 - Jun 28 with 3629 viewsbennytheblue

Are the rumours that the virus seems to be weakening true? Plenty still contracting it but not getting so ill? Or just how to handle it by the Dr’s just getting much better as time goes on....
2nd Covid wave starting? on 12:11 - Jun 28 with 3625 viewsbennytheblue

2nd Covid wave starting? on 11:16 - Jun 28 by Professor

Probably by 2022 we will accept it is an endemic and recurring problem. Fewer will get sick, and even fewer die for the reasons stated. I think we may see face masks on public transport and even at large events for years to come

Indoor events or outdoor too? Football?
2nd Covid wave starting? on 12:16 - Jun 28 with 3625 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The vulnerable continue to protect themselves and the young go mental seems to be the current situation up and down the country. Maybe herd immunity among the under 40s is what we are experiencing whether planned or not. The US appears to be experiencing a soaring infection rate (increased testing?) but not a soaring death rate. Maybe we need the young to get out there and spend their money to help get the economy moving whilst the vulnerable wait for a vaccine or cure.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

2nd Covid wave starting? on 12:17 - Jun 28 with 3623 viewsProfessor

2nd Covid wave starting? on 12:11 - Jun 28 by bennytheblue

Indoor events or outdoor too? Football?

Yes. I can see that. Close proximity
Login to get fewer ads

2nd Covid wave starting? on 12:22 - Jun 28 with 3606 viewsDr_Winston

2nd Covid wave starting? on 12:16 - Jun 28 by Joe_bradshaw

The vulnerable continue to protect themselves and the young go mental seems to be the current situation up and down the country. Maybe herd immunity among the under 40s is what we are experiencing whether planned or not. The US appears to be experiencing a soaring infection rate (increased testing?) but not a soaring death rate. Maybe we need the young to get out there and spend their money to help get the economy moving whilst the vulnerable wait for a vaccine or cure.

Lot of people think we should have done that to begin with.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

2nd Covid wave starting? on 12:24 - Jun 28 with 3589 viewsProfessor

2nd Covid wave starting? on 12:10 - Jun 28 by bennytheblue

Are the rumours that the virus seems to be weakening true? Plenty still contracting it but not getting so ill? Or just how to handle it by the Dr’s just getting much better as time goes on....

Viruses usually become less virulent as they adapt to the host. This is almost certainly zoonotic ( cam from an animal source) and will become a human adapted strain over time. High mortality is a poor evolutionary strategy. As viruses rely on binding to a cell receptor they tend to be less promiscuous in host range. Species jumps are unusual but often associated with highly virulent disease like Hendra and Nippah in the last 20 years. As bacteria are free-living and don’t need a host to replicate we find they are (with some exceptions) more
Capable of being in multiple hosts
2nd Covid wave starting? on 12:25 - Jun 28 with 3583 viewsDr_Winston

Seems to be a bit of both. There were reports out of Italy suggesting that the virulence had begun to degrade, and as far as treatment goes how much have you heard about ventilators lately?

We definitely seem to have had a period where those most vulnerable have been hit the hardest. The average age of mortality is in the 80's I think. When all is settled I'd expect some of the decisions around care homes and especially releasing patients to them to have been the most catastrophic.

2nd Covid wave starting? on 12:27 - Jun 28 with 3576 viewssainthelens

You've been infecting this site way too long.
2nd Covid wave starting? on 18:06 - Jun 28 with 3341 viewsbennytheblue

2nd Covid wave starting? on 12:22 - Jun 28 by Dr_Winston

Lot of people think we should have done that to begin with.

I do. Look at the stats of those under 40 who have died with no underlying conditions in England, less than 30. No wonder the young are starting to kick off. I know I would have if I was 23. 30 years ago there would have been riots like those about the poll tax.....
2nd Covid wave starting? on 18:07 - Jun 28 with 3339 viewsbennytheblue

2nd Covid wave starting? on 12:27 - Jun 28 by sainthelens

You've been infecting this site way too long.

You just stick to the football threads saint, this board is for the more intelligent posters that don’t just stare at the away fans all game like you do.....
2nd Covid wave starting? on 18:10 - Jun 28 with 3329 viewsbennytheblue

2nd Covid wave starting? on 12:25 - Jun 28 by Dr_Winston

Seems to be a bit of both. There were reports out of Italy suggesting that the virulence had begun to degrade, and as far as treatment goes how much have you heard about ventilators lately?

We definitely seem to have had a period where those most vulnerable have been hit the hardest. The average age of mortality is in the 80's I think. When all is settled I'd expect some of the decisions around care homes and especially releasing patients to them to have been the most catastrophic.

Akin to manslaughter sending them back to care homes....
2nd Covid wave starting? on 18:21 - Jun 28 with 3312 viewssainthelens

2nd Covid wave starting? on 18:07 - Jun 28 by bennytheblue

You just stick to the football threads saint, this board is for the more intelligent posters that don’t just stare at the away fans all game like you do.....

Then do us all a favour and say something fckn intelligent.
2nd Covid wave starting? on 19:32 - Jun 28 with 3249 viewsScotia

I'm a little bit sceptical about this report from Leicester. Although I haven't looked in to it in too much detail. The reports mention infections from the first two weeks of June and that was two weeks ago. So surely there would have been an exponential growth in the area since then and those infections would be feeding in to hospitalisations and deaths by now?

Is this the case or has it sort of stalled?

The Times says today that they think the transmission was through groups gathering outside take aways, I assume after Ramadan? Outdoor transmission is worrying considering English pubs are probably about to have their busiest night in history next weekend. That could be a disaster.

Local lock downs are the way to deal with this in the future though IMHO.
2nd Covid wave starting? on 19:36 - Jun 28 with 3232 viewsbennytheblue

2nd Covid wave starting? on 18:21 - Jun 28 by sainthelens

Then do us all a favour and say something fckn intelligent.

The blues are going up.....
2nd Covid wave starting? on 20:20 - Jun 28 with 3177 viewsItchySphincter

2nd Covid wave starting? on 12:16 - Jun 28 by Joe_bradshaw

That was pretty much always the plan as far I could see.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

2nd Covid wave starting? on 20:56 - Jun 28 with 3129 viewslondonlisa2001

2nd Covid wave starting? on 19:32 - Jun 28 by Scotia

I'm a little bit sceptical about this report from Leicester. Although I haven't looked in to it in too much detail. The reports mention infections from the first two weeks of June and that was two weeks ago. So surely there would have been an exponential growth in the area since then and those infections would be feeding in to hospitalisations and deaths by now?

The Times says today that they think the transmission was through groups gathering outside take aways, I assume after Ramadan? Outdoor transmission is worrying considering English pubs are probably about to have their busiest night in history next weekend. That could be a disaster.

An attempt to look in control I suspect.

They’ve said today it’s an outbreak started, they think, at a sandwich factory. So same sort of conditions as the outbreak in Anglesey etc.

I imagine this is a ‘try to get people to behave a bit’ thing. They’ve been doing it throughout. Every so often there is a bit of a scare story when they’re worried people are completely ignoring guidance.

Agree re local lockdowns. Although it requires quick testing results and swift action. Not Patel saying a couple of weeks later that they ‘may’ do something.
2nd Covid wave starting? on 21:17 - Jun 28 with 3100 viewssainthelens

2nd Covid wave starting? on 19:36 - Jun 28 by bennytheblue

The blues are going up.....

You haven't thought the question through num nuts.
2nd Covid wave starting? on 21:18 - Jun 28 with 3100 viewsexhmrc1

The 5 mile rule is what they need not letting people go everywhere spreading the virus. Todays figures show 25 new cases and 12 piller 2 which are probably in North Wales 37X66.4/3.2 767 ie lower than the UK figure which was the case before the outbreaks in Llangefni and Wrexham.
2nd Covid wave starting? on 21:41 - Jun 28 with 3059 viewslonglostjack

2nd Covid wave starting? on 18:06 - Jun 28 by bennytheblue

I do. Look at the stats of those under 40 who have died with no underlying conditions in England, less than 30. No wonder the young are starting to kick off. I know I would have if I was 23. 30 years ago there would have been riots like those about the poll tax.....

And they don’t have parents or grandparents? Twaaaat.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

2nd Covid wave starting? on 21:43 - Jun 28 with 3052 viewsProfessor

2nd Covid wave starting? on 19:32 - Jun 28 by Scotia

Leicester does not have a large Muslim population, as I said earlier it’s largely Hindu and Sikh. Indian not Bangladeshi or Pakistani
2nd Covid wave starting? on 21:57 - Jun 28 with 3030 viewsmajorraglan

Local lockdowns can be very effective. A girl I worked with spent the last few years in Italy, living on the border of Lombardy and Emilia-Romagna which are some of the worst effected areas of Italy. When the initial lockdowns were introduced in Lombardy and Veneto which at the tome were the worst hot areas, the former largely ignored the restrictions while the latter enforced the lockdown quite strictly. Lombardy now has more than 16,000 deaths, Emilia-Romagna has over 4,000 and Veneto has 2,000.

If it does rapidly accelerate in Leicester, they should pull all the stops out and enforce a lockdown. It’s draconian, but they could put check points on all the routes in and out of the city or particular areas, limit trains, buses etc. Essential workers, foods etc could be transported in. I can’t see it happening though, don’t think the political appetite is there for it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024