Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Biggest Motoring mistakes 13:56 - Jan 11 with 909 viewsonehunglow

Its 1966.Im 16 and have been left money by my Nan .
I go out and buy a brand new Lambretta SX200 in white and gold.
After a month I decide gold is boring and then I reckon British Racing Green stripes are the place to go .
I buy some green gloss paint as close to BRG as I can find and proceed to tape off the side panels ,leg panels and forks. Off I go utilising a whole tin of paint stripper ,the contents of which I shove into a small plastic container and leave it on my dad' car bonnet whilst I get to work. I get distracted and knock the container off the bonnet leaving an amorphous streak across his metallic blue pride and joy.

He come out with a face wanting to place me at the right hand of the Lord Jesus .My mum comes out and simply bangs me in the mouth. (it was allowed then).

The job is an abortion and all my Kingsway chums are horrified at how I ruined the scooter so then I think to get the bike to go faster (although it was pretty quick already) and I decide on taking it to a guy down the Hafod to bore it out from 200 to 225 cc and use larger pistons. I get the engine back and assemble the vehicle but it doesnt start and never would as I lost many of the engine bits in my dad's garage.

Soon I am 17 .get a Hillman Minx for £40 and have a chum who'd passed his test to sit in the passenger seat I go everywhere especially Townhill practising Hill starts. I pass first time then get ordered to dispose of the scooter. I seem to recall I sold it for £20 to a bloke who I then see a month later on the Kingsway on my scooter after he has has it resprayed and the engine sorted.

I forget how much the scooter was now but it would like buying a decent sized 250 bike now brand new for 5k then flogging it six month later for £200.

I dunno how I survived my teens really a we were all rather dumb -great music times though

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Biggest Motoring mistakes on 14:32 - Jan 11 with 881 viewsFlashberryjack

So being dull isn't a new thing then

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Biggest Motoring mistakes on 19:45 - Jan 11 with 783 viewsonehunglow

Biggest Motoring mistakes on 14:32 - Jan 11 by Flashberryjack

So being dull isn't a new thing then

Cheeky.
You got any stories you want to share

I didnt admit to buying a new Austin Maestro too-in brown.

These foolish things.

Biggest Motoring mistakes on 19:46 - Jan 11 with 782 viewsBoundy

One of mine was having borrowed my late Dads Ford Zephyr Executive for the week whilst stationed in Tidworth , coming back home for the weekend with a full car of kindly squaddies who all chipped in for the fuel costs ( 6 cylinder thirsty beast that she was ) I only managed to half fill the tank with diesel ( this was in the early 70's with very few diesel cars on the road ) , then having to explain to my mates what I'd done and could they chip in to buy more petrol to try and dilute my mistake ( the engine ran like a pig ) but got us home , eventually. with-it a 4 hour journey which took about 6 and stopping at every garage en route to keep topping up the tank. Then having to tell my dad who then had to have the complete fuel system cleaned at his expense . I was never offered the car again.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Biggest Motoring mistakes on 19:54 - Jan 11 with 774 viewsonehunglow

Biggest Motoring mistakes on 19:46 - Jan 11 by Boundy

One of mine was having borrowed my late Dads Ford Zephyr Executive for the week whilst stationed in Tidworth , coming back home for the weekend with a full car of kindly squaddies who all chipped in for the fuel costs ( 6 cylinder thirsty beast that she was ) I only managed to half fill the tank with diesel ( this was in the early 70's with very few diesel cars on the road ) , then having to explain to my mates what I'd done and could they chip in to buy more petrol to try and dilute my mistake ( the engine ran like a pig ) but got us home , eventually. with-it a 4 hour journey which took about 6 and stopping at every garage en route to keep topping up the tank. Then having to tell my dad who then had to have the complete fuel system cleaned at his expense . I was never offered the car again.

We had a Zodiac.Picked it up at Dagenham.
WWN 988.
Column steering and bench seats.

These cars were handy in later years for ladies liaisons

Biggest Motoring mistakes on 20:11 - Jan 11 with 752 viewsThrasher6

Had a Citroen 2CV given to me and thought this is cool...(well sort of..). It wasn't in a great state and rust had started to form on the top of the bonnet...it had a weird curved bonnet as some of you will know. I was travelling back over the Severn Bridge when an almighty gust of wind ripped the bonnet open at the top...and it flapped up to completely obscure my view. (It was still connected to the front latch). I thought it has to fly off when suddenly it sat back into position. I reached out of the window and held it down with one hand while steering with the other. Stopping on the bridge was a no no as you all know. The looks I got were priceless from other motorists as I negotiated getting over the rest of the bridge like a contortionist...It was a long time ago and I can't even remember how I fixed it to get back to West Wales, but I did!

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Biggest Motoring mistakes on 20:24 - Jan 11 with 738 viewsonehunglow

Biggest Motoring mistakes on 20:11 - Jan 11 by Thrasher6

Had a Citroen 2CV given to me and thought this is cool...(well sort of..). It wasn't in a great state and rust had started to form on the top of the bonnet...it had a weird curved bonnet as some of you will know. I was travelling back over the Severn Bridge when an almighty gust of wind ripped the bonnet open at the top...and it flapped up to completely obscure my view. (It was still connected to the front latch). I thought it has to fly off when suddenly it sat back into position. I reached out of the window and held it down with one hand while steering with the other. Stopping on the bridge was a no no as you all know. The looks I got were priceless from other motorists as I negotiated getting over the rest of the bridge like a contortionist...It was a long time ago and I can't even remember how I fixed it to get back to West Wales, but I did!

I use to love them.
I bought a BX 19 and almost got a deux chevaux at the same time.
Crazy car but iconic.

Biggest Motoring mistakes on 10:57 - Jan 12 with 674 viewsCatullus

My biggest mistake was passing my test. cars have cost me a muddy fortune. Probably over 12000 just in insurance in the 32 years.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Biggest Motoring mistakes on 10:59 - Jan 12 with 673 viewsonehunglow

Biggest Motoring mistakes on 10:57 - Jan 12 by Catullus

My biggest mistake was passing my test. cars have cost me a muddy fortune. Probably over 12000 just in insurance in the 32 years.

I have been driving almost 56 years Cat.
Imagine that.

That said,many dont bother with legalities

Login to get fewer ads

Biggest Motoring mistakes on 16:18 - Jan 14 with 601 viewsGruffStephens

Letting my ex mrs anywhere near a car, even the passenger seat. Her second husband came out as gay after eight months with her, that’s the levels we are talking about.
Biggest Motoring mistakes on 16:33 - Jan 14 with 587 viewsJohnw102

Biggest Motoring mistakes on 16:18 - Jan 14 by GruffStephens

Letting my ex mrs anywhere near a car, even the passenger seat. Her second husband came out as gay after eight months with her, that’s the levels we are talking about.

Should have listened to the od saying, "If its got tits or tyres avoid it, will be nothing but expensive and trouble!

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024