Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Catfish & Chips 12:17 - May 1 with 3089 viewsDemitrius

Wondered why I felt an urge to start licking my owm 'aris after my chippy tea the other night...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/art
[Post edited 2 May 4:54]

“Cunnilingus and Psychiatry brought us to this …”

0
Catfish & Chips on 12:31 - May 1 with 2398 viewsonehunglow

Page 404 fault !
Are you posting some esoteric filth ?
Catfish Keith

Good to see you on top form Dem

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

1
Catfish & Chips on 14:15 - May 1 with 2326 viewsAnotherJohn

Apart from the obvious dishonesty of selling catfish as cod, there seems to be a move in the retail sector to wean us onto frozen Mekong catfish (Pangasius) by giving it fancy names like basa, and trying to make it more palatable with artificial flavouring. I know from experience in Thailand, where supermarkets sell Pangasius and Tilapia very cheaply, that neither are much good for making fish and chips. Some of the fish farming practices in the places they come from are very dodgy.
1
Catfish & Chips on 14:24 - May 1 with 2319 viewsEagleEye

Catfish was predicted to become a regular staple in fish & chip shops quite a few years ago now as there is an abundance of them in certain countries. I tried it once on an offshore barge with Polish catering staff. It was decent looking white fish served battered but the texture was too spongy for me. Some people liked it, I’ll be sticking to cod & haddock even at the ridiculous prices that are being charged these days.

p.s. link doesn’t work
[Post edited 1 May 14:25]
1
Catfish & Chips on 14:37 - May 1 with 2304 viewsAnotherJohn

Catfish & Chips on 14:24 - May 1 by EagleEye

Catfish was predicted to become a regular staple in fish & chip shops quite a few years ago now as there is an abundance of them in certain countries. I tried it once on an offshore barge with Polish catering staff. It was decent looking white fish served battered but the texture was too spongy for me. Some people liked it, I’ll be sticking to cod & haddock even at the ridiculous prices that are being charged these days.

p.s. link doesn’t work
[Post edited 1 May 14:25]


Going back a few years ago in fish & chip shops there was also a stir about "rock salmon", meaning dog fish.

Agree about the sponginess - or lack of firmness in the texture - of pangasius. It looks okay in batter but the taste is very disappointing.
[Post edited 1 May 14:39]
1
Catfish & Chips on 20:05 - May 1 with 2265 viewsmax936

Catfish & Chips on 14:24 - May 1 by EagleEye

Catfish was predicted to become a regular staple in fish & chip shops quite a few years ago now as there is an abundance of them in certain countries. I tried it once on an offshore barge with Polish catering staff. It was decent looking white fish served battered but the texture was too spongy for me. Some people liked it, I’ll be sticking to cod & haddock even at the ridiculous prices that are being charged these days.

p.s. link doesn’t work
[Post edited 1 May 14:25]


Fresh caught and cooked Bass is a thing of beauty {Mackerel is the same} both stunningly edible, be going back to a few old haunts of mine soon with my lure bag and Lure rod and reel.
1
Catfish & Chips on 04:55 - May 2 with 2237 viewsDemitrius

Link fixed ! I think ?

“Cunnilingus and Psychiatry brought us to this …”

0
Catfish & Chips on 09:03 - May 2 with 2176 viewsKeithHaynes

Catfish & Chips on 14:15 - May 1 by AnotherJohn

Apart from the obvious dishonesty of selling catfish as cod, there seems to be a move in the retail sector to wean us onto frozen Mekong catfish (Pangasius) by giving it fancy names like basa, and trying to make it more palatable with artificial flavouring. I know from experience in Thailand, where supermarkets sell Pangasius and Tilapia very cheaply, that neither are much good for making fish and chips. Some of the fish farming practices in the places they come from are very dodgy.


Two catfish threads I’ve never been so excited !

Tilapia are basically raised on shit. That sort of put me off.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Would you like to appear here as a Welsh football writer?

0
Catfish & Chips on 09:16 - May 2 with 2147 viewsDemitrius

Catfish & Chips on 09:03 - May 2 by KeithHaynes

Two catfish threads I’ve never been so excited !

Tilapia are basically raised on shit. That sort of put me off.


My bad

I posted in the wrong forum and thought hiding it would hide it from everyone - it doesm't

Feel free to delete either or both....

“Cunnilingus and Psychiatry brought us to this …”

0
Login to get fewer ads

Catfish & Chips on 09:17 - May 2 with 2134 viewsmax936

Catfish & Chips on 09:03 - May 2 by KeithHaynes

Two catfish threads I’ve never been so excited !

Tilapia are basically raised on shit. That sort of put me off.


Horrible poxy things had a goldfish tank when I was young, had a catfish in with the goldfish and a few golden orfe one or two started to disappear soon found out why, we could see the silhouette of an orfe through the catfishes skin, poxy thing, he didn't last long after that.
0
Catfish & Chips on 09:49 - May 2 with 2108 viewsAnotherJohn

Catfish & Chips on 09:17 - May 2 by max936

Horrible poxy things had a goldfish tank when I was young, had a catfish in with the goldfish and a few golden orfe one or two started to disappear soon found out why, we could see the silhouette of an orfe through the catfishes skin, poxy thing, he didn't last long after that.


I am amazed at the price of Tilapia in Swansea. The wife bought a large one in Exotica on St Helen's Road because she wanted to cook a Thai-style herb-flavoured fish simmered in a heated metal dish on the table. She said it cost over £18, It would be about £2 in a Thai supermarket. Not my favorite fish. I second the earlier suggestion that bass is a good call.

Edit: Should really have replied to Keith's post.
[Post edited 2 May 9:52]
0
Catfish & Chips on 10:19 - May 2 with 2077 viewsmax936

Catfish & Chips on 09:49 - May 2 by AnotherJohn

I am amazed at the price of Tilapia in Swansea. The wife bought a large one in Exotica on St Helen's Road because she wanted to cook a Thai-style herb-flavoured fish simmered in a heated metal dish on the table. She said it cost over £18, It would be about £2 in a Thai supermarket. Not my favorite fish. I second the earlier suggestion that bass is a good call.

Edit: Should really have replied to Keith's post.
[Post edited 2 May 9:52]


I've no idea as to what Tilapia are, are they a catfish?
0
Catfish & Chips on 10:35 - May 2 with 2060 viewsKeithHaynes

Catfish & Chips on 10:19 - May 2 by max936

I've no idea as to what Tilapia are, are they a catfish?


A disgusting taste reared on their own shit commercially.

Each to their own tho.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Would you like to appear here as a Welsh football writer?

1
Catfish & Chips on 11:32 - May 2 with 2034 viewsDemitrius

Catfish & Chips on 10:19 - May 2 by max936

I've no idea as to what Tilapia are, are they a catfish?


Commercially farmed fish of the cichild family - I'm not keen on it but have eaten it when backpacking as there are often no other options available.

“Cunnilingus and Psychiatry brought us to this …”

0
Catfish & Chips on 19:47 - May 2 with 1958 viewsmax936

Catfish & Chips on 11:32 - May 2 by Demitrius

Commercially farmed fish of the cichild family - I'm not keen on it but have eaten it when backpacking as there are often no other options available.


Member of the Cichlid sounds like they taste delicious
0
Catfish & Chips on 06:04 - May 3 with 1906 viewsDemitrius

Catfish & Chips on 19:47 - May 2 by max936

Member of the Cichlid sounds like they taste delicious


I thought you were the fish guru on here mushtaq...?

“Cunnilingus and Psychiatry brought us to this …”

0
Catfish & Chips on 09:51 - May 3 with 1851 viewsonehunglow

Catfish & Chips on 11:32 - May 2 by Demitrius

Commercially farmed fish of the cichild family - I'm not keen on it but have eaten it when backpacking as there are often no other options available.


Backpacking ?
That was in the days before satchels

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

0
Catfish & Chips on 11:43 - May 3 with 1834 viewsDemitrius

Catfish & Chips on 09:51 - May 3 by onehunglow

Backpacking ?
That was in the days before satchels


too old for that lark now OHL....I roughed it with the best of them...

I'd want to be ferried around in a rickshaw with my bloody hips these days.....

“Cunnilingus and Psychiatry brought us to this …”

0
Catfish & Chips on 14:00 - May 3 with 1799 viewsAnotherJohn

Catfish & Chips on 11:43 - May 3 by Demitrius

too old for that lark now OHL....I roughed it with the best of them...

I'd want to be ferried around in a rickshaw with my bloody hips these days.....


Last time I rode in a bicycle rickshaw must be nearly 20 years ago and did not end well. Even in those days rickshaws were something of a rarity and tended to be the preserve of older peddlers. On that occasion an elderly rickshaw puller called to me and I thought a ride with him to the city market might be a novelty. Unfortunately, my 16 stone frame proved to be a bit of a challenge as we reached a slight incline in the last quarter of a mile of the journey. Two matronly female denizens of Buriram berated me loudly as the poor old chap almost ground to a halt. I wasn't sure if it would hurt his feelings more to get off or put him to the test. I did the honorable thing and alighted, while still paying the pre-agreed fare, all overseen by the two frowning grannies. Nowadays the tuk tuk or the taxi rules.
1
Catfish & Chips on 14:33 - May 3 with 1790 viewsunion_jack

Catfish & Chips on 14:00 - May 3 by AnotherJohn

Last time I rode in a bicycle rickshaw must be nearly 20 years ago and did not end well. Even in those days rickshaws were something of a rarity and tended to be the preserve of older peddlers. On that occasion an elderly rickshaw puller called to me and I thought a ride with him to the city market might be a novelty. Unfortunately, my 16 stone frame proved to be a bit of a challenge as we reached a slight incline in the last quarter of a mile of the journey. Two matronly female denizens of Buriram berated me loudly as the poor old chap almost ground to a halt. I wasn't sure if it would hurt his feelings more to get off or put him to the test. I did the honorable thing and alighted, while still paying the pre-agreed fare, all overseen by the two frowning grannies. Nowadays the tuk tuk or the taxi rules.


🤣

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

0
Catfish & Chips on 14:37 - May 3 with 1786 viewsmax936

Catfish & Chips on 06:04 - May 3 by Demitrius

I thought you were the fish guru on here mushtaq...?


I don't know all fish on the planet mun, the far east have some strange things with fin's, big buggers as well.
0
Catfish & Chips on 14:40 - May 3 with 1784 viewsmax936

Catfish & Chips on 10:19 - May 2 by max936

I've no idea as to what Tilapia are, are they a catfish?


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

Eyes on that thing.
0
Catfish & Chips on 15:03 - May 3 with 1771 viewsonehunglow

Catfish & Chips on 11:43 - May 3 by Demitrius

too old for that lark now OHL....I roughed it with the best of them...

I'd want to be ferried around in a rickshaw with my bloody hips these days.....


Coming from Killay, I didn’t do rough.
My father drove a Rover ffs

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

0
Catfish & Chips on 17:18 - May 3 with 1723 viewsKeithHaynes

Tilapia will eat manure (poop) if it is present in their environment, particularly in certain low-cost, high-density farming operations in Asia. While not their preferred diet—they are primarily herbivores that eat algae—tilapia are omnivorous scavengers that will eat feces and animal waste if fed it, or if they are starved.

Isn’t that enough !

In china they put them in large sewerage tanks ffs.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Would you like to appear here as a Welsh football writer?

0
Catfish & Chips on 17:21 - May 3 with 1721 viewsonehunglow

Catfish & Chips on 17:18 - May 3 by KeithHaynes

Tilapia will eat manure (poop) if it is present in their environment, particularly in certain low-cost, high-density farming operations in Asia. While not their preferred diet—they are primarily herbivores that eat algae—tilapia are omnivorous scavengers that will eat feces and animal waste if fed it, or if they are starved.

Isn’t that enough !

In china they put them in large sewerage tanks ffs.


What you having for tea Keith ?

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

0
Catfish & Chips on 17:29 - May 3 with 1713 viewsKeithHaynes

Catfish & Chips on 17:21 - May 3 by onehunglow

What you having for tea Keith ?


Red salmón sandwiches 💥

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Would you like to appear here as a Welsh football writer?

0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© FansNetwork 2026