Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We would be mad to move Ayew on. 13:34 - May 17 with 29131 viewsSheffieldjack

There are many news outlets indicating that whether or not we keep Andre Ayew next season is down to Huw Jenkins. I think it would be madness to move our top scorer on. Surely a better option would be to keep him for at least one more season and perhaps bring in his brother, Jordan, as a further attacking option!
We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 21:06 - May 19 with 2020 viewsGowerjack

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 21:02 - May 19 by monmouth

By nature I'm an interchangable team cog punter rather than an individual 'star man' johnny so I like the cut of your jib here Starsk. If we had a DNA I reckon it is that. Our team makes players look good rather than the other way around. It's why 'stars' that leave, don't sparkle and often disappear into black holes.

I don't believe we've made Ayew look good or vice versa. For instance, we make Sigurdsson look good when he is the fulcrum of the team - go somewhere where he is not and he will disappear without trace again. We made Bony look good by absolutely relying on him to take the main goalscoring role.

We have not found a way to do that with Ayew, and I don't think we can. So we either rip up the template and revolve things around him next year or we go back to the team ethic. I can't help but feel a parting would actually be mutually beneficial, to allow us to try and create more 'cogs', though I have some reluctance now to write that - 6 weeks ago I'd have had no such qualms.

Spot on.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 21:16 - May 19 with 2009 viewsTummer_from_Texas

To anyone who thinks Ayew's 12 goals (which directly resulted in 12 of our points) didn't keep Swansea up this season:

If Ayew isn't scoring those goals this season, who is?

Routledge? Montero? Gomis???

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 21:57 - May 19 with 1972 viewsblaine_scfc

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 21:16 - May 19 by Tummer_from_Texas

To anyone who thinks Ayew's 12 goals (which directly resulted in 12 of our points) didn't keep Swansea up this season:

If Ayew isn't scoring those goals this season, who is?

Routledge? Montero? Gomis???

Very simple post and the best on the thread.

Ayew will score 15 goals plus next season if played in the correct position and stays free of injury, we can not continue to let players like this leave and expect to replace with cheap alternatives and progress as a club.

It was his first year in a new country, new league, and he performed. Doesn't suit us as a winger, as a striker I think he will fly next season.
We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 22:07 - May 19 with 1957 viewsDr_Winston

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 21:57 - May 19 by blaine_scfc

Ayew will score 15 goals plus next season if played in the correct position and stays free of injury, we can not continue to let players like this leave and expect to replace with cheap alternatives and progress as a club.

It was his first year in a new country, new league, and he performed. Doesn't suit us as a winger, as a striker I think he will fly next season.

He doesn't want to be a striker.

I believe and always have that there's a place for him in a mobile front three (akin to Laudrup's three winger forward line) well serviced with quick ball from midfield, which wouldn't require a massive change from us and would be a big upgrade on what we've tried for most of the last two seasons.

Doesn't suit the narrative of him as a loose cannon who costs us our shape though.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 22:07 - May 19 with 1950 viewsshandyjack

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 21:57 - May 19 by blaine_scfc

Fully agree,played as a number 9 will get min 15 league goals and 5/6 assists. Perfect for a CF at a club like ours.

Poll: Expectation for the season

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 23:31 - May 19 with 1882 viewsjasper_T

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 22:07 - May 19 by Dr_Winston

I believe and always have that there's a place for him in a mobile front three (akin to Laudrup's three winger forward line) well serviced with quick ball from midfield, which wouldn't require a massive change from us and would be a big upgrade on what we've tried for most of the last two seasons.

Doesn't suit the narrative of him as a loose cannon who costs us our shape though.

How do you fit that and Gylfi into one team without leaving the midfield horribly exposed?
We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 23:44 - May 19 with 1871 viewsBrynmill_Jack

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 22:07 - May 19 by Dr_Winston

How many times does he have to say it before some of our fans take it in? He'll definitely be gone though I reckon, he's been angling for a move to Liverpool for weeks now. £20 million ? Well if Joe was worth £15.......

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 01:46 - May 20 with 1841 viewsGriffting

Can't really understand the comparisons to Shelvey.. 10 times the player in every sense.
The way I see it, Ayew has scored towards 12 goals plus 2 assists?? And then a couple of pens won and such (pens Everton, b'mouth and that free kick for ash goal at Arsenal etc) so all in all its about 15/16 goals he's contributed towards. That is a lot of goals for us this year. A high percentage of goals have come from him and that's simply a fact.
Knowing our transfer business recently, I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable with us letting a player go who's been involved in that many goals and the board replacing him with someone on par, let alone better! People say he's disrupted the side, yet our best performances (West Ham away, Chelsea away, Liverpool home etc) he has played in a lot of them. If you were to ask FG of his preference on keeping or selling Ayew, I think I know what the answer would be. He's played him at every opportunity and I doubt FG is shy about dropping players he doesn't think are good enough.
Plus, we've already seen FG work with Montero, looking a much diverse player in recent weeks, cannot he not do this with Ayew and make him an even better player??
Login to get fewer ads

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 05:15 - May 20 with 1812 viewsStarsky

Your missing the point here completely.
He's scored 12 goals in a team that has chronic goal scoring statistics this season.
The comparison to Shelvey is more the principle of a player not really suitable for our team.
My last word on the subject, I'm repeating myself in vain.

It's just the internet, init.

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 08:48 - May 20 with 1765 viewsSheffieldjack

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 05:15 - May 20 by Starsky

He's scored 12 goals in a team that has chronic goal scoring statistics this season.
The comparison to Shelvey is more the principle of a player not really suitable for our team.

But if FG sat him down and said words to the effect: "Stay with us for another season, play as a striker, score 18+ goals and then the world's your oyster" - You'd think that Ayew would see that our man from Italy has made him an offer that he couldn't refuse.
We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 10:18 - May 20 with 1715 viewsGriffting

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 05:15 - May 20 by Starsky

Chronic goal scoring statistics and you want to get rid of the top goal scorer. Do you honestly have faith in the board to replace him with someone who will contribute to more than 15/16 goals a season?? Not sure I do, to be honest. And I don't buy the 'we'll score more goals with him out of the team' rubbish because, quite simply, it's not true. When he was out injured, people were saying we looked more balanced, but in truth against villa and Norwich, first 60 at Stoke, we looked awful and you wondered where the goals would come from. But yeah, ship out Ayew and bring in hoilett for free. Great business. As long as he does a job for 90 minutes, works hard but does tantamount to sweet FA then he's fine be me. We have little goal threat in this team already, please, let's not rush to ship a perfectly fine player out the door at the first opportunity because 'doesn't provide width' or 'doesn't want to be a striker'. Let's add to that quality with more goals.
We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 10:21 - May 20 with 1708 viewsDr_Winston

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 10:18 - May 20 by Griffting

Chronic goal scoring statistics and you want to get rid of the top goal scorer. Do you honestly have faith in the board to replace him with someone who will contribute to more than 15/16 goals a season?? Not sure I do, to be honest. And I don't buy the 'we'll score more goals with him out of the team' rubbish because, quite simply, it's not true. When he was out injured, people were saying we looked more balanced, but in truth against villa and Norwich, first 60 at Stoke, we looked awful and you wondered where the goals would come from. But yeah, ship out Ayew and bring in hoilett for free. Great business. As long as he does a job for 90 minutes, works hard but does tantamount to sweet FA then he's fine be me. We have little goal threat in this team already, please, let's not rush to ship a perfectly fine player out the door at the first opportunity because 'doesn't provide width' or 'doesn't want to be a striker'. Let's add to that quality with more goals.

We'll score more goals by ditching the diamond and adding a bit of tempo to our play. Much like we did when we were safe and FG was free to start making changes.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 10:21 - May 20 with 1708 viewsJango

It's like talking to a brick wall mate. It baffles me the mindset of some of our fans
We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 10:44 - May 20 with 1694 viewsmax936

Be a madness to sell him to a club that could be around us next season, especially Sunderland
I'd like him to stay myself, although if Bony came back along with both Ayew and Siggy here we could create a right dog fight up top for ourselves, with the 3 getting in each others way.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 11:20 - May 20 with 1678 viewsdameedna

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 10:44 - May 20 by max936

Be a madness to sell him to a club that could be around us next season, especially Sunderland
I'd like him to stay myself, although if Bony came back along with both Ayew and Siggy here we could create a right dog fight up top for ourselves, with the 3 getting in each others way.

Bony and Siggy have failed to be regularly picked at the top clubs.

The Ayew brothers have got in at a level where they get regular games.

We don't know how far Ayew can go but we know how far Siggy and Bony can get.

Anyway for all the talk if Ayew leaves for a bigger club and kicks on well be poorer for it.

I've enjoyed watching him play we need a player who can set the tempo.
We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 12:18 - May 20 with 1652 viewsshandyjack

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 10:21 - May 20 by Dr_Winston

We'll score more goals by ditching the diamond and adding a bit of tempo to our play. Much like we did when we were safe and FG was free to start making changes.

and Ayew scored 4 goal in those last 3 games

Poll: Expectation for the season

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 12:27 - May 20 with 1645 viewsmax936

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 11:20 - May 20 by dameedna

Anyway for all the talk if Ayew leaves for a bigger club and kicks on well be poorer for it.

Not gonna argue with any of that, all fair points.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 13:30 - May 20 with 1623 viewsLoyal

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 11:20 - May 20 by dameedna

Ayew is at his optimum level for me.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 16:28 - May 20 with 1583 viewsGriffting

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 10:21 - May 20 by Dr_Winston

Exactly, personally I believe FG could get some really good stuff out of Ayew. And judging by the SWEP article with Ayew, he thinks so too. I think he can do some good work with a lot of our players and we're starting to see it already.
We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 17:12 - May 20 with 1551 viewsStarsky

Did I say replace Ayew with Hoilett?

No.

I'm saying replace Ayew with Bony.

Anyone who gets frustrated with my opinion... Chillax...its just my opinion

Jango? I'm talking to you

It's just the internet, init.

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 17:39 - May 20 with 1530 viewsDavillin

Griffting, in a longish post above, you wrote this: "people say he's disrupted the side, yet our best performances (West Ham away, Chelsea away, Liverpool home etc) he has played in a lot of them." [I don't copy the entire post because I'm not interested in going over the same old stuff, so I give just the above part, in which I am very interested.]

I'm very curious to hear, by way of contrast, what were three of our not-best performances?

p.a. The question is open to any posters as well as Griffting.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 23:11 - May 20 with 1465 viewsSheffieldjack

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 17:39 - May 20 by Davillin

Griffting, in a longish post above, you wrote this: "people say he's disrupted the side, yet our best performances (West Ham away, Chelsea away, Liverpool home etc) he has played in a lot of them." [I don't copy the entire post because I'm not interested in going over the same old stuff, so I give just the above part, in which I am very interested.]

I'm very curious to hear, by way of contrast, what were three of our not-best performances?

p.a. The question is open to any posters as well as Griffting.

We certainly didn't play well against Aston Villa at home - a definite non-best performance. I still don't know how we managed to win that game. However, the three points were vital and invaluable. It was probably the worst game of football you ever would care to see, yet the result was massive. Football's a funny game. Makes you tear your hair out, but we love it.
We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 23:50 - May 20 with 1443 viewsmonmouth

I would say the three worst performances I saw with my own eyes live were Leicester home, Southampton home, Stoke home.

Others which stick in my mind - before we were safe and decided to take a couple of weeks off - Norwich away, Watford away.

Villa was bad but as we never really looked like losing - and the tenseness of the match - doesn't get into that little lot.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 00:27 - May 21 with 1433 viewsDavillin

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 23:50 - May 20 by monmouth

I would say the three worst performances I saw with my own eyes live were Leicester home, Southampton home, Stoke home.

Others which stick in my mind - before we were safe and decided to take a couple of weeks off - Norwich away, Watford away.

Villa was bad but as we never really looked like losing - and the tenseness of the match - doesn't get into that little lot.

Monmouth, please forgive me for using your post to make my point. On the other hand, I thank you for answering because I trust your objectivity implicitly.

Griffting used the following line to "big up" Ayew: "our best performances (West Ham away, Chelsea away, Liverpool home etc) he has played in a lot of them.:

Using your list of "worst games," then, five of them [Leicester, Southampton, and Stoke, all home games; and Norwich and Watford, both away games], have these three points in common:

1. We lost them all.
2. We did not score in any of them.
3. Ayew played in all of them.

The sixth of your list -- Aston Villa Home -- was different in all three areas:

1. We won it.
2. We scored one goal.
3. Ayew did not play in that game.

Who says statistics don't help?

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

We would be mad to move Ayew on. on 00:36 - May 21 with 1428 viewsNeathJack

He won't be here next season, that much should be fairly obvious given his comments in the press.

Although if I were Huw I'd be making him actually put in a transfer request so he loses the remaining signing on/loyalty fees rather than just selling him on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024