Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we are men on here today... 15:47 - Feb 5 with 9871 viewsTheResurrection

We'd not be throwing our toys out of our childish prams. We'd not be slaughtering our players who have stood up to a man the last few games and given their all.

We'd be grateful we've got a real chance at survival backed up by a stellar performance against some of the best players on earth.

That's as cruel as it gets and the second time on the bounce up there. But we went on and showed the courage to stay up after that pain last season, we can do the same this one.

Superb effort from the boys. Up the Jacks.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

If we are men on here today... on 08:37 - Feb 6 with 1067 viewswhaleoilbeefhooked

Nirvana, as someone else said...WOW!
That the best summation, I've read on here, for as long as I can remember.
There's only so many hours in your life, you can waste, reading drivel by keyboard warriors, then you think, fek it, I'm done here.
So thanks very much for your personal, and very well observed post.
Now bring on the clown/s
If we are men on here today... on 10:00 - Feb 6 with 1019 viewsTheResurrection

If we are men on here today... on 08:37 - Feb 6 by whaleoilbeefhooked

Nirvana, as someone else said...WOW!
That the best summation, I've read on here, for as long as I can remember.
There's only so many hours in your life, you can waste, reading drivel by keyboard warriors, then you think, fek it, I'm done here.
So thanks very much for your personal, and very well observed post.
Now bring on the clown/s

But he wastes hours on this message board, and will continue to do so. He probably posts using a different username and thinks creating a new one would give his post more credence.

He's clearly got a crush on me but in true keeping with Valentine's Day coming up, has decided to make up an anonymous username just for the occasion and send me a poem, a bloody long one at that.

What courage!!

I'll reply to it later..... From my own username, I know, radical eh

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

If we are men on here today... on 12:30 - Feb 6 with 958 viewsTheResurrection

If we are men on here today... on 23:15 - Feb 5 by Nirvana

I have seen this nonsense repeated countless times on here lately and needed to provide a little more context for such drivel. Sigurdsson is by far our best player and the team should be built around him to play to his strengths. That should be obvious.

Also obvious is the fact that hasn't happened, as Jenkins' idiotic, whatever is cheapest policy has left us with an extremely lopsided and limited squad of mostly throwaways. We were "lacking as a functioning unit" because of this, not because of one player, no matter who it is.

As far as "AM" and your dear "10" role go, either you are ignorant of the positional fluidity of modern football or are just trying to win an argument on semantics. Talking about these positions as if they are fixed points on a whiteboard is useless in analyzing what actually takes place during a game. Yes, Siggy may be nominally playing as a left winger but he spends most of his time in the center of the pitch, particularly when we are in possession. Watch the games back like you love saying to others and you will find nearly all of our good play stems from Siggy being central, either in the forward line or slightly behind. Pretending or much less shouting otherwise is evading reality.

Yes, Siggy's form has been up and down this season but almost all of that is strictly down to a poorly constructed squad and terrible management. Siggy lacks pace, everyone knows that.

In order for him to provide throughballs and for his flicks past a fullback to work there has to be someone on the other end, a winger with pace, half a brain, and average crossing ability. Sadly, none of ours can even really tick two of those boxes, except for Narsingh who seems semi-competent but tracks back like he's looking for his contacts in the opposition half. Routledge is a hard worker and usually provides good spacing but not much else. Simply put, he should be a sub to help close out a game or playing in the cups against lower competition. Montero and Barrow are lightning quick but either dumb as rocks or incredibly conceited. Both are frail, incredibly goal-shy, lack tactical awareness and need 20 attempts to put in one mediocre cross. Lump Dyer in there too but he isn't even worth mentioning because he has barely played and has looked terrible when he has. Our wingers are incredibly one-dimensional and none offers the creativity and work rate required of our system.

Our midfield looks much the same, a bunch of one-dimensional square pegs. Cork is a worker but not much else and seems to be lacking in composure and mental toughness, which are glaring weaknesses for someone who can only play DM. Ki would be great for Ligue 1 but is too slow and weak (mentally and physically) to be a holding midfielder and usually wants too much time on the ball to be effective. Leon has been phenomenal over the years but he's 34 and that should speak for itself. Fer is the closest to the total package we need but far far too often he is lazy tracking back to prevent or disrupt counterattacks and his focus is not the best. It is impossible to play any two of these together and expect to play "the Swansea Way" successfully.

Our fullbacks have been downright terrible the entire season, no way around that. Like Routledge and leon, angel is too old to be playing meaningful minutes in the premier league. Naughton and Taylor are absolute dog shite for different reasons but the functionality is the same. Kingsley has moments but seems to be getting dragged down with the rest.

Clement has seen all of this and rectified it as someone with his top-level experience would. Anyone who watches football will know that most of the top teams pack the midfield and force the opposition to attack from out wide by pressing high, usually using one of the midfielders to trigger the press. Once out wide they overload that side of the pitch and send 2 or 3 players to surround the ball and create a turnover to capitalize on in attack. One of the best ways to do this is to run a 451/4141 system that morphs into 442 when the midfielder presses. This is precisely what clement has done to maintain defensive solidity without sacrificing attacking efficiency.

Clement knows our wingers (bar routledge) won't defend, a necessity given our putrid fullbacks. He also realizes our midfield needs another body, particularly someone with a bit of pace and creativity. Thus, the switch to our current system to have a chance at controlling midfield while also being able to defend out wide. The additions of Carroll and Olsson have provided what we lacked in those positions and have made this system possible. One of the underrated perks of having Siggy play LM is that when he drifts inside it provides space down the left flank for Carroll and Olsson to exploit, which we saw with perfection against Liverpool. If any of our wingers were out there, the whole whirling-motion quickness and effectiveness of the move breaks down.

Last bit- I have seen the subtle digs at our playing style and the insinuation it is because of Siggy's deadball prowess. Sigurdsson is world class (yes, world class) from set pieces and that ability should be used thoroughly. It appears Jenkins thought the same, thus getting Llorente/Fer/Mawson/VDH to provide the headers that would be coming. Sadly, this has been the best part of our play this season and if anyone is to blame for that it is only Jenkins. He made our strengths. Playing to them is what the team has had to do. Criticizing posters for appreciating this (which you have done) shows you either don't care about the actual success of the club or you are just trying to be a troll. Fair play if you are because you are quite good at getting anger from a football forum. If not, start actually doing something meaningful with the club or community or start piping down with the alternative hot takes.

My book is finished and you can say whatever you want to me or about me but it won't get a response. This forum is a great source for anyone who supports Swansea and sadly people like you (and DYSS) have to be dealt with instead of just providing thoughtful posts. I would suggest prioritizing things in your life differently, but I'm not your psychiatrist. I admire your passion but a different outlet for your hatred would be of better use to you and this forum.

Build a team around Siggy? Because he hasn't got good enough players to play with him?

Is that what Spurs did? When they tried to do that with the top quality players they had at their disposal?

Or did he end up on the left before having to find a new club? And with all that talent he surely then could have had his pick of clubs but where did he go? Yes, back to Swansea.

Is he our best player? Yes, I would say he arguably is and I like the boy and have respected him greatly in his 2 spells with us.

I think you've missed my point in some regards. It was my very argument that Jenkins had left us woefully exposed to the rigours of a Premier League season and short of enough quality to make any sort of impact.

I've said that over and over. And I've never blamed Siggy for this.

You again have missed the point about Siggy being out on the left. It's clear for everyone to see he's not a conventional left sided player, he wasn't when Guidolin was in charge and we have got the look of being unbalanced with him playing so centrally. I don't need to watch the games back to see this - by the way, what's wrong with watching them back? You see a whole lot more when the nervous tension is removed and I do this with nearly all our games.

But the bare truth of the matter is this. We are who we are and we went into the season with this squad. We had to make the best of it due to off-field goings on but regardless of this we had to hope as fans we could somehow stay in the division, or at least get to January and get reinforcements.

We have tried Siggy as the main man in the team - on too many occasions. We have tried to make him the focal point and, like you say, build a team around him, but it just hasn't worked.

How can anyone construct an argument to say it has, even his biggest fanboys?

His set pieces this season have gone to an all new universe. He was always very decent but these days it's a true weapon and something for us fans to get excited about. I'm not disputing any of that and appreciate our threat as a result. I wasn't necessarily having a dig at anyone fawning over this but we'd be liars to say we didn't deride other well known teams for relying on this too much. When we first came up to the EPL any free kick we'd have in the final third rarely if ever found its way pinging into the box, that just wasn't us and I was making reference to that.

Our whole side hasn't evolved as we'd have liked it but that's difficult to achieve anyway. I do blame Jenkins and Co. for putting themselves before the fans and the Club itself and know full well SCFC has taken its eye off the ball in being cute and clever in the transfer market - we simply have not invested our time or resources anything like efficiently enough and this is the first thing the new owners should be addressing.

But, going back to Siggy. (he who cannot be criticised) he's been a problem for us this season and regardless of all the sycophantic blethering, this is true.

People will look to blame everything and everyone else for his shortcomings just because he works hard and strikes a mean dead ball, and this just isn't fair. Siggy has cost us important goals this season. Siggy has given away possession far too easily and this isn't because of the latest nonsense - "players are not on his wavelength" blah blah blah - this has been down to a poor touch, too slow or trying something ridiculous when he should be playing it simple.

People will find the need to support him regardless of all of this just because he's Siggy. The same thing is happening with Llorente, who gives us one solid game in 5 or 6.

What Clement has done is take the pressure off Siggy and make him a part of the whole team - not the be all and end all. I liked what he said when some crap journo asked about whether Siggy feels it a problem being stuck out on the left - he simply said "I haven't had a conversation with him about it" - In other words, he's a player at my disposal and someone I want on the pitch but where I can feel he's effective.

That hasn't been at number 10 regardless of all the reasons we both have cited.

He works well in this system as he does get a freer role from inside top left, he is allowed to drift in which he does well and he does work his left hand side really well from a defensive aspect also.

It's working well for him and us like it never did when he was at number 10.

As far as psychiatrists are concerned, I am comfortable enough with who I am etc and what I write on here. I am not afraid to give an opinion and contribute to a message board. We are not all going to be the cups of tea others like most, we are not all going to see things the same way. Again, I am happy with the way I see the game of football and especially my club.

Lastly, I would encourage you to find some guts and either post under your usual username or stand up for who you are and not hide behind your sofa.

As for DYSS - I voted for him to be banned. He is a complete fool who is allowed a platform to wind people up. People may think that about me, but I live and breathe this football club and it means everything to me.I have been there and done it all with SCFC and always will.

I'm not sure if you are qualified to say that? You may have been supporting Man U or Liverpool when some of us were driving to Torquay, Macclesfield or Carlisle on a Tuesday night?

Some posters should remember this.

If we are men on here today... on 12:41 - Feb 6 with 945 viewsperchrockjack

NO.
My opinion is that Sig has not had the support from his colleagues most of whom
Sig tries to cover for. The utter dross we have had for full backs allowing free access to cross, the cowardice shown when not wanting to face the ball and get a knock , the appalling lack of tracking back at times , the lack of any other player truly able to hit the net.

He s a gem of a player. One of our all times greats. No question. He s gotten us out of more scrapes than Ivor and I was there to see the great man in his pomp .

Siggy is the only player of ours able to compare with Ivor as regards freekicks.

We should build the team around him and ensure he is properly supported.

Frankly, he stands alone

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

If we are men on here today... on 13:03 - Feb 6 with 904 viewsTheResurrection

If we are men on here today... on 12:41 - Feb 6 by perchrockjack

NO.
My opinion is that Sig has not had the support from his colleagues most of whom
Sig tries to cover for. The utter dross we have had for full backs allowing free access to cross, the cowardice shown when not wanting to face the ball and get a knock , the appalling lack of tracking back at times , the lack of any other player truly able to hit the net.

He s a gem of a player. One of our all times greats. No question. He s gotten us out of more scrapes than Ivor and I was there to see the great man in his pomp .

Siggy is the only player of ours able to compare with Ivor as regards freekicks.

We should build the team around him and ensure he is properly supported.

Frankly, he stands alone

Your opinion. I'm trying to deal with that, better.

My opinion is don't build a team around him as it's not worked. Not here or at Spurs.

He's stayed with us and we've found an effective role for him.

The last 3 games the team has been built around Jack Cork who has been the stand out player in those games.

If we are men on here today... on 14:28 - Feb 6 with 1809 viewsOldjack

I have seen this nonsense repeated countless times on here lately and needed to provide a little more context for such drivel. Sigurdsson is by far our best player and the team should be built around him to play to his strengths. That should be obvious.

Also obvious is the fact that hasn't happened, as Jenkins' idiotic, whatever is cheapest policy has left us with an extremely lopsided and limited squad of mostly throwaways. We were "lacking as a functioning unit" because of this, not because of one player, no matter who it is.

As far as "AM" and your dear "10" role go, either you are ignorant of the positional fluidity of modern football or are just trying to win an argument on semantics. Talking about these positions as if they are fixed points on a whiteboard is useless in analyzing what actually takes place during a game. Yes, Siggy may be nominally playing as a left winger but he spends most of his time in the center of the pitch, particularly when we are in possession. Watch the games back like you love saying to others and you will find nearly all of our good play stems from Siggy being central, either in the forward line or slightly behind. Pretending or much less shouting otherwise is evading reality.

Yes, Siggy's form has been up and down this season but almost all of that is strictly down to a poorly constructed squad and terrible management. Siggy lacks pace, everyone knows that.

In order for him to provide throughballs and for his flicks past a fullback to work there has to be someone on the other end, a winger with pace, half a brain, and average crossing ability. Sadly, none of ours can even really tick two of those boxes, except for Narsingh who seems semi-competent but tracks back like he's looking for his contacts in the opposition half. Routledge is a hard worker and usually provides good spacing but not much else. Simply put, he should be a sub to help close out a game or playing in the cups against lower competition. Montero and Barrow are lightning quick but either dumb as rocks or incredibly conceited. Both are frail, incredibly goal-shy, lack tactical awareness and need 20 attempts to put in one mediocre cross. Lump Dyer in there too but he isn't even worth mentioning because he has barely played and has looked terrible when he has. Our wingers are incredibly one-dimensional and none offers the creativity and work rate required of our system.

Our midfield looks much the same, a bunch of one-dimensional square pegs. Cork is a worker but not much else and seems to be lacking in composure and mental toughness, which are glaring weaknesses for someone who can only play DM. Ki would be great for Ligue 1 but is too slow and weak (mentally and physically) to be a holding midfielder and usually wants too much time on the ball to be effective. Leon has been phenomenal over the years but he's 34 and that should speak for itself. Fer is the closest to the total package we need but far far too often he is lazy tracking back to prevent or disrupt counterattacks and his focus is not the best. It is impossible to play any two of these together and expect to play "the Swansea Way" successfully.

Our fullbacks have been downright terrible the entire season, no way around that. Like Routledge and leon, angel is too old to be playing meaningful minutes in the premier league. Naughton and Taylor are absolute dog shite for different reasons but the functionality is the same. Kingsley has moments but seems to be getting dragged down with the rest.

Clement has seen all of this and rectified it as someone with his top-level experience would. Anyone who watches football will know that most of the top teams pack the midfield and force the opposition to attack from out wide by pressing high, usually using one of the midfielders to trigger the press. Once out wide they overload that side of the pitch and send 2 or 3 players to surround the ball and create a turnover to capitalize on in attack. One of the best ways to do this is to run a 451/4141 system that morphs into 442 when the midfielder presses. This is precisely what clement has done to maintain defensive solidity without sacrificing attacking efficiency.

Clement knows our wingers (bar routledge) won't defend, a necessity given our putrid fullbacks. He also realizes our midfield needs another body, particularly someone with a bit of pace and creativity. Thus, the switch to our current system to have a chance at controlling midfield while also being able to defend out wide. The additions of Carroll and Olsson have provided what we lacked in those positions and have made this system possible. One of the underrated perks of having Siggy play LM is that when he drifts inside it provides space down the left flank for Carroll and Olsson to exploit, which we saw with perfection against Liverpool. If any of our wingers were out there, the whole whirling-motion quickness and effectiveness of the move breaks down.

Last bit- I have seen the subtle digs at our playing style and the insinuation it is because of Siggy's deadball prowess. Sigurdsson is world class (yes, world class) from set pieces and that ability should be used thoroughly. It appears Jenkins thought the same, thus getting Llorente/Fer/Mawson/VDH to provide the headers that would be coming. Sadly, this has been the best part of our play this season and if anyone is to blame for that it is only Jenkins. He made our strengths. Playing to them is what the team has had to do. Criticizing posters for appreciating this (which you have done) shows you either don't care about the actual success of the club or you are just trying to be a troll. Fair play if you are because you are quite good at getting anger from a football forum. If not, start actually doing something meaningful with the club or community or start piping down with the alternative hot takes.

My book is finished and you can say whatever you want to me or about me but it won't get a response. This forum is a great source for anyone who supports Swansea and sadly people like you (and DYSS) have to be dealt with instead of just providing thoughtful posts. I would suggest prioritizing things in your life differently, but I'm not your psychiatrist. I admire your passion but a different outlet for your hatred would be of better use to you and this forum.

Top of the class for observation

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

If we are men on here today... on 15:56 - Feb 6 with 1762 viewsscruffyjack

If we are men on here today... on 13:03 - Feb 6 by TheResurrection

Your opinion. I'm trying to deal with that, better.

My opinion is don't build a team around him as it's not worked. Not here or at Spurs.

He's stayed with us and we've found an effective role for him.

The last 3 games the team has been built around Jack Cork who has been the stand out player in those games.

Did spurs try and build their team around Siggy? Really?
If we are men on here today... on 16:12 - Feb 6 with 1744 viewsBloodyhills

Best post I've seen on here for a long long time.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Login to get fewer ads

If we are men on here today... on 16:14 - Feb 6 with 1741 viewsTheResurrection

If we are men on here today... on 15:56 - Feb 6 by scruffyjack

Did spurs try and build their team around Siggy? Really?

Yeah, did they?

If we are men on here today... on 16:41 - Feb 6 with 1710 viewsMoscowJack

I could be VERY wrong here but was The Res suggesting that instead of taking the very risky strategy of relying on one player to dig us out of a huge hole, it could be better to sell him for 30m and buy 2 x 15m or 3 x 10m, 4 x7.5m, that would generally improve an extremely weak TEAM?

If Siggy has a dip in form or gets injured, we lose our whole hand. Some would say we lose everything, but the purchase of Carroll, form of Fer, form of Cork and potential of Narsingh has given us a bit more optimism. The $1m question is whether the form of Carroll, Fer and Cork been because Siggy's out wide and we're better as a unit? I wouldn't disagree with that, to be honest.

Also, did any of us expect HJ & Co to spend 15m (net) or more during that window? I know that I didn't.

Did any of us expect Fer and Cork to improve so dramatically from the liabilities that they were under Bob to disciplined and hard-working essential cogs in a much stronger midfield?

I'm not defending The Res but putting Siggy out wide has enabled us to play with far better shape. Picking him central, just because he might be more effective there, wouldn't make sense if it made the team as a whole becomes less effective.

Finally, going back to the original post - I hope the players gave Naughton a right kicking in the dressing room for not putting more pressure on Jesus for that header.....or following in on the rebound.

Us knocking his confidence won't help though and we haven't REALLY got a better option in the squad unfortunately, but he is a liability. Until the summer, what do we do? Go with Rangel, whose legs have gone (and he's not shy of the odd mistake either) or stick with Naughton and hope Clement can improve him quickly?

As stupid as it sounds, maybe the best thing is for him to hear us supporting him the moment he walks out against Leicester. It's such a vital game and I would hate to see his game deteriorate even further because the crowd got on his back from the first minute. Singing his name might sound a bit nuts but I think it would actually help on this occasion.

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

If we are men on here today... on 16:57 - Feb 6 with 1673 viewsBorojack

If we are men on here today... on 16:41 - Feb 6 by MoscowJack

I could be VERY wrong here but was The Res suggesting that instead of taking the very risky strategy of relying on one player to dig us out of a huge hole, it could be better to sell him for 30m and buy 2 x 15m or 3 x 10m, 4 x7.5m, that would generally improve an extremely weak TEAM?

If Siggy has a dip in form or gets injured, we lose our whole hand. Some would say we lose everything, but the purchase of Carroll, form of Fer, form of Cork and potential of Narsingh has given us a bit more optimism. The $1m question is whether the form of Carroll, Fer and Cork been because Siggy's out wide and we're better as a unit? I wouldn't disagree with that, to be honest.

Also, did any of us expect HJ & Co to spend 15m (net) or more during that window? I know that I didn't.

Did any of us expect Fer and Cork to improve so dramatically from the liabilities that they were under Bob to disciplined and hard-working essential cogs in a much stronger midfield?

I'm not defending The Res but putting Siggy out wide has enabled us to play with far better shape. Picking him central, just because he might be more effective there, wouldn't make sense if it made the team as a whole becomes less effective.

Finally, going back to the original post - I hope the players gave Naughton a right kicking in the dressing room for not putting more pressure on Jesus for that header.....or following in on the rebound.

Us knocking his confidence won't help though and we haven't REALLY got a better option in the squad unfortunately, but he is a liability. Until the summer, what do we do? Go with Rangel, whose legs have gone (and he's not shy of the odd mistake either) or stick with Naughton and hope Clement can improve him quickly?

As stupid as it sounds, maybe the best thing is for him to hear us supporting him the moment he walks out against Leicester. It's such a vital game and I would hate to see his game deteriorate even further because the crowd got on his back from the first minute. Singing his name might sound a bit nuts but I think it would actually help on this occasion.

Can't say I have noticed the crowd getting on his back to be honest maybe others have I don't know.
But this forum does not always reflect supporters opinions as has been shown with the views on the sale and the empathy in the ground.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins be sacked

If we are men on here today... on 17:37 - Feb 6 with 1637 viewsscruffyjack

If we are men on here today... on 16:14 - Feb 6 by TheResurrection

Yeah, did they?

No.
If we are men on here today... on 17:49 - Feb 6 with 1622 viewsTheResurrection

If we are men on here today... on 16:41 - Feb 6 by MoscowJack

Fair play Nick, we've had our run ins but I admire you for that post.

And yes, that's exactly what I meant. I thought I'd made the point very obvious and repeatedly but people only see what they want to see.

Totally agree on Naughton as well. It's criminal us fans getting on his own back. We would deserve to go down with support like that.

If we are men on here today... on 17:51 - Feb 6 with 1620 viewsTheResurrection

If we are men on here today... on 17:37 - Feb 6 by scruffyjack

No.

Exactly.

If we are men on here today... on 19:45 - Feb 6 with 1542 viewsscruffyjack

If we are men on here today... on 17:51 - Feb 6 by TheResurrection

Exactly.

But you said they did?
If we are men on here today... on 20:35 - Feb 6 with 1510 viewsTheResurrection

If we are men on here today... on 19:45 - Feb 6 by scruffyjack

But you said they did?

Ah finally get what you mean.

Well they did try. They played him centrally for a few games in the 10 spot but gave up on it and then pushed him out left before benching him.

If we are men on here today... on 21:19 - Feb 6 with 1481 viewsDr_Winston

"Did any of us expect Fer and Cork to improve so dramatically from the liabilities that they were under Bob to disciplined and hard-working essential cogs in a much stronger midfield?"

I'd question the assertion that either of them were ever liabilities, but it's hardly a shock to see decent players play better under a manager who knows what he's doing and isn't a blithering idiot.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

If we are men on here today... on 21:37 - Feb 6 with 1444 viewswaynekerr55

If we are men on here today... on 21:19 - Feb 6 by Dr_Winston

"Did any of us expect Fer and Cork to improve so dramatically from the liabilities that they were under Bob to disciplined and hard-working essential cogs in a much stronger midfield?"

I'd question the assertion that either of them were ever liabilities, but it's hardly a shock to see decent players play better under a manager who knows what he's doing and isn't a blithering idiot.

You forgot to insert "cliché laden" before blithering idiot Doc 😂

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

If we are men on here today... on 21:39 - Feb 6 with 1441 viewsMoscowJack

If we are men on here today... on 21:19 - Feb 6 by Dr_Winston

I think Fer had become a liability. His lack of discipline and fitness was an issue for us. I love players like Fer and Shelvey who make the ridiculous look simple but, nowadays, these players have to put in a shift too. He wasn't, in my book.

Cork's confidence in himself look blown and he also needed time out of the limelight. He needed two or three touches every time the ball got to him and when he wasn't afforded time to do that, you felt that his first-time pass was a guess. Usually the results of those passes more than suggested it was. I've seen Cork have too many good games, where he stood out in games we lost or dominated (so not just for his defensive qualities in a backs-to-the-wall type game) to understand that there was a good player there somewhere.

Part of Fer and Cork's issues were probably down to poor management, but their poor form was an issue. That's why Leon, Ki and Fulton were tried in their positions.

It really has been special watching them thrive over the past week and I don't think they've had enough credit for the efforts to improve their game. If it's down to Clement, Makelele (or a mixture of both) then we really have reasons to be optimistic.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2017 23:01]

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

If we are men on here today... on 22:04 - Feb 6 with 1410 viewsTheResurrection

We also have to be very wise to the change in formation.

This has had the biggest impact on all 3 players mentioned recently.

It really has worked well for us and it's helped players to regain their touch, confidence and belief.

If we are men on here today... on 23:02 - Feb 6 with 1359 viewsOzzie

Top, top post!

From reading that post I assume you've either played the game at a good level or you've been involved to some degree at a good standard of football? If not, a really really good insight into the big picture which has unfolded over the course of the season, in my opinion of course!

This Naughton debate - people assume that because he is made to be the 'scapegoat' and criticised on here that we verbally do the same at games - Wrong! I thought the reason for forums such as these was to create debate, vent, criticise, praise, etc?
I have thresholds with performance, and when either is hit (extremely good or extremely poor) I sometimes like to comment on here either to confirm my sanity or to appreciate the magnitude of the situation.. Martin Thomas goal West Ham, Lee Trundles performance at Boston to name but a few..

To summarise in Naughtons case, I'll vent on here and hope he proves me wrong on Sunday because ultimately I want MY team to do well and if he can help with that, great! If he can't, get someone in who can or at least won't be perceived as the obvious weak link in the team!
If we are men on here today... on 23:23 - Feb 6 with 1346 viewsTheResurrection

If we are men on here today... on 23:02 - Feb 6 by Ozzie

Top, top post!

From reading that post I assume you've either played the game at a good level or you've been involved to some degree at a good standard of football? If not, a really really good insight into the big picture which has unfolded over the course of the season, in my opinion of course!

This Naughton debate - people assume that because he is made to be the 'scapegoat' and criticised on here that we verbally do the same at games - Wrong! I thought the reason for forums such as these was to create debate, vent, criticise, praise, etc?
I have thresholds with performance, and when either is hit (extremely good or extremely poor) I sometimes like to comment on here either to confirm my sanity or to appreciate the magnitude of the situation.. Martin Thomas goal West Ham, Lee Trundles performance at Boston to name but a few..

To summarise in Naughtons case, I'll vent on here and hope he proves me wrong on Sunday because ultimately I want MY team to do well and if he can help with that, great! If he can't, get someone in who can or at least won't be perceived as the obvious weak link in the team!

That post was a simple exercise in stating the bloody obvious but each to their own.

And what you don't realise when the gang mentality comes out and one player is getting crucified online, is the first and every mistake he makes in matches attract loud groans and abuse. If you think people don't do that you haven't watched many Swans games.

If we are men on here today... on 23:37 - Feb 6 with 1335 viewsOzzie

If we are men on here today... on 23:23 - Feb 6 by TheResurrection

That post was a simple exercise in stating the bloody obvious but each to their own.

And what you don't realise when the gang mentality comes out and one player is getting crucified online, is the first and every mistake he makes in matches attract loud groans and abuse. If you think people don't do that you haven't watched many Swans games.

What was I stating that was obvious? You have assumed whatever I said was obvious but not everyone thinks the same, clearly demonstrated on this site!

I do realise that happens, it happens at our games and it happens at nearly if not all clubs across the leagues. What I was trying to point out was that not everyone does it. Behaviour breeds behaviour and all that - in certain parts of the ground one comment/groan creates a domino effect. In other parts, you don't hear anything. Usually a result of the makeup of the crowd in those particular sections.
If we are men on here today... on 23:41 - Feb 6 with 1326 viewsTheResurrection

If we are men on here today... on 23:37 - Feb 6 by Ozzie

What was I stating that was obvious? You have assumed whatever I said was obvious but not everyone thinks the same, clearly demonstrated on this site!

I do realise that happens, it happens at our games and it happens at nearly if not all clubs across the leagues. What I was trying to point out was that not everyone does it. Behaviour breeds behaviour and all that - in certain parts of the ground one comment/groan creates a domino effect. In other parts, you don't hear anything. Usually a result of the makeup of the crowd in those particular sections.

You exclaimed the post you quoted a top post - I was referring to that one.

And not everybody out of 19,000 does it no, but they don't have to - 5 or 6000 is more than enough to destroy a players confidence.

It's the last thing we should be doing now - we should all be adopting a siege mentality and getting behind all of our players. And yeah, that includes Siggy and Llorente!

If we are men on here today... on 17:59 - Feb 7 with 1214 viewsNirvana

If we are men on here today... on 10:00 - Feb 6 by TheResurrection

But he wastes hours on this message board, and will continue to do so. He probably posts using a different username and thinks creating a new one would give his post more credence.

He's clearly got a crush on me but in true keeping with Valentine's Day coming up, has decided to make up an anonymous username just for the occasion and send me a poem, a bloody long one at that.

What courage!!

I'll reply to it later..... From my own username, I know, radical eh

Since you seem to admire the longform as well, I’ll try and keep up.

Yes, you are right I have a crush on you and hope we can spend Valentine’s Day together, how did you know? Well of course, probably cause you’re so damn important and everyone fawns over you? Nah, don’t know who you are and never will nor do I care to, as this is an internet forum and not a pub. We are all “anonymous” on here, that is exactly the point, that’s why we have “usernames” in the first place. You are just the loudest, most aggressive, and most frequent poster on a relatively obscure club’s (thanks to our phenomenal PR department) even more obscure message board. It is not difficult to be a contrarian or a cynic and garner attention. It is, however, quite desperate.

I don’t have another username and never have, have appreciated reading the forum for years to learn information about the club I would never have known otherwise. The personal BS on here is what frustrates me and, seemingly, many many other posters.

This is an internet forum for a football club. It is not a fight club, even though you seem to think it is. You want to fight so bad? Go take a kickboxing class. This is intended to be an open outlet for anyone to express their opinion freely without having to deal with the toughman routine from somebody with way too much free time on their hands. Personally, I don’t care what you say about me or to me, again, because I don’t know you and vice versa. Your shtick doesn’t work on me, but I have seen way too many quality threads destroyed or diverted because of your antics. No matter how frustrating, that can be dealt with. The hypocrisy and slagging off of our best players in the worst of times? That reeks of an ulterior motive.

As far as not having the “courage” to respond, courage is running into a burning building to save a child, standing your ground in the face of an invading army, sticking up for the nerd in school who gets beat up everyday, etc. Typing hateful words, threats, intimidation, and putdowns onto a screen from the safety of your house (or work, or wherever) is the exact opposite of courageous. You are, quite literally, a keyboard warrior. Hurray for you, to each his own, c’est la vie, all the rest.

But to address Siggy for a moment, do you really honestly believe that every player in the first team, much less the squad, is anywhere close to his level, as you insinuate?

Don't you think there is a reason why several top-level managers (optimisticly including our current one, as well) have gushed over he-who-shall-not-be-criticized (HWSNBC) in the media?

Is it because they're "psycophantic" "fanboys"? Is it because they're in love with him and hope they can hang out later and a couple compliments might help? Or is it because they see his quality and can actually acknowledge it freely without amending on some flaky critique, something you are incapable of?

The guy is an absolute class footballer and, not sure if you're aware, but we don't have a lot of that at the moment. Creating an entire aggressive thread built around one mistake of a turn that ended up a "facking" ridiculous Captain Jack own goal, buoyed by several self-taken phone shots of a paused tv at different moments to "prove" Siggy's a big baby and we should sell?

Constantly belittling posters who praise him and choosing every opportunity to criticize as unfairly and as loudly as possible?

I'd say it's a bit excessive. You would think when our most talented AND hardest working player suffers a temporary loss of form, a bleeding-heart supporter such as yourself wouldn’t start voicing "let's sell because he's poor and is a toddler" arguments every "facking" day. Just because people criticize Naughton (and Taylor before him) for being steaming piles of dog shite, which by the way they are, does not necessitate bashing our best hope for safety the way you consistently have.

Football is a team sport, but like every facet of life, some people matter more than others. Siggy is one of those. Taylor and Naughton are Championship-level players and, thankfully, at least one was forced to face up to that in January. If you can't acknowledge that, I don't know what to tell you. HWSNBC is certainly not without criticism and it should be pointed out when he plays poorly but the vendetta you have is strange and obsessive.

On the issue of "supporting our boys" and not damaging our frail players' psyches with hate, do you really think any of our players spend their free time reading PS?

If you believe that, again, I don't know what to tell you, except they definitely don't. If anything, they're on Twitter. Other than that, they're too rich and busy for this. I'd say a couple handfuls of people pointing out how much of a liability Naughton is on here will not cause him to assume the fetal position for the rest of the season. If the guy is worthy of your white Knight defense he'll take the little bit of well-deserved criticism he's received on the chin and work hard to improve several key areas of his game, something that would surely be praised on here were it to happen.

To the football.

I didn't miss your point about Siggy playing on the left, I fully comprehend, if there was one at all. Your original argument was that clement has found a "nice, little" place for HWSNBC on the left and him being given a subordinate role within the team has been the influence behind our recent upturn in results and performance.

But that's simply not true. He has actively assumed a larger and freer role since clement took over, both reflected in stats and in watching the games. PC has largely abandoned possession so the passing numbers might not appear as great and defensive statistics can be highly misleading but under any metric Siggy is THE driving force behind our recent form. He works his socks off to provide shape defensively out wide while still being relied on to be our creator from the center. Oh yeah, and have you seen some of his goals lately or throughout his entire career with us? I wasn’t criticizing watching the games back I do that with nearly every one of them, as it would be extremely difficult to grasp what everyone is doing with one viewing. Multiple viewings always show Siggy’s class, and anyone who says otherwise doesn’t understand what they’re seeing. Sometimes his stuff works, sometimes it doesn't but that is the role of a proper "10" if you want to keep using this term. A "10" in 2017 is more a frame of mind than a fixed position with how much forwards and midfielders interchange and HWSNBC is still the same player no matter where he plays.

You say he should be playing the safe pass and simple touches etc. but that is not the function of your chief attacking threat, or "10", anyone who's kicked a ball with a few strangers knows that. He is in the side to attempt risky passes and try and take that extra touch in order to create a better chance and sometimes his form is off and his ideas fail. You routinely lambast his "poor touch" while being seemingly unaware that his is CONSISTENTLY the best in the squad. If his touch is poor, what do you make of everyone else's? I don't hear you moaning about Captain Jack's poor control, something equally as galling, surely you can admit that?

The normal struggles of a "10" do not compare to someone like Naughton's abandonment of absolutely basic requirements of his position, something like, oh I don't know, making an attempt to stop the crosses both going into and coming into the box. Repeatedly this season he has "facked" up and in big moments and that is worthy of derision. Yes, Mawson and Fede froze as well on this last "fack" up but can anyone actually explain what Naughton is doing literally just watching jesus run in front of him and allowing 2 golden chances at destroying all the hard work of the previous 90+ minutes?

Is it asking too much to expect your RB to do more than remain FROZEN like "facking" Han Solo for 5 entire seconds at the most critical juncture of the match?

I don't think so and I'm very sure PC doesn't either. That type of crap isn't tolerated at your local park, so why is he excused just because he's marginally better than a 34 year old fading club legend?

At this point people are seriously suggesting trying Dyer there, that is how bad he has been. I would legitimately consider giving Routledge a few weeks of training on tackling and proper positioning inside our own box and seeing what he looked like back there away against Chelsea. That is the least winnable match we will play all season and it couldn't hurt to experiment, and I would be surprised if a bad performance ruined Routledge, as he seems pretty comfortable with himself. Even a switch to a back 3, bringing in Amat and playing Routledge at RWB to counter Chelsea's might be an intriguing thought if given proper preparation.

As far as your tactical knowledge goes, phrases like "main man" and " focal point" are fine and dandy and you wrote a bunch of insular fluff but I don't speak in vague generalities whenever describing, you know, the actual games. You can't be a "main man" in a football match. That is not a position, and it certainly doesn't reflect what takes place in the movement between the players, which is what they are being trained to do everyday. They are not being trained to figure out which one of them is the "main man".

In relation to the success of our current formation and the players’ roles within it, I don’t recall you being so praiseworthy before I pointed it out and I did so far more eloquently and directly than you ever could. I have seen you belittle people for their football knowledge and for never having played football but, seriously, you don’t know what the “fack” you are talking about most of the time on here and it’s mostly crap that wouldn’t make it onto a 14-year old’s blog. You do post an awful lot and “live and breathe” the club so you have that going for you. But truthfully, anyone who works in football would laugh at your amateur and thin analysis. You write how thierry henry speaks, except viewed through the prism of someone who played “some welsh league” and not the greatest premier league player ever.

Spurs absolutely never built their team around Siggy and are in a different stratosphere as a club, and we definitely haven't made an intelligent or expensive attempt at it. Honestly pretending as if either of these are true is insanely duplicitous. Like I said before, best way to build around him would be tricky and quick on the wings and throw in a pacy, strong target man like bony to ensure HWSNBC’ vision is fully exploited and the pitch is stretched with space in front of goal for him to run onto. Somebody like Allen, a ballplaying Swiss Army knife with some fight (which Fer and Carroll have been doing an admirable tag team job of late in our current system), playing alongside Cork behind Siggy would work, although ideally the DM would be more physical and a bit more graceful than Captain Jack. Having two attacking fullbacks wouldn’t hurt either, a couple bodies to provide the overlap and cutbacks that HWSNBC thrives on.

By the way, I could fart stuff like this out and more every single day and not just copy and paste the “facking” box score with sophomoric cliff notes, I choose not to because I'm not a self-important blowhard who needs the hate just to feel relevant. Appreciate your "service" to the club toughman but you weren't the only one there through the hard times and, yes, the times are a-changing. I don’t see any other longtime supporters venting as hyperbolically and misleadingly as you do.

I know its hard to take SCFC is owned by two American idiots who know nothing about football, but it is and those valiant local Swansea businessmen were the ones who greedily drove the nail in the coffin. The wonderful, magical "Jack to a King" story is mostly shite PR and has been shown to be, and the "fackers" made it with a large chunk of club money. That's hard to swallow but instead of wasting time gleefully knocking our best players in the midst of a relegation fight, maybe you should be continuing to lob grenades at the "fackers" in the director's box, who are still unbelievably key figures and actually continuing to rake in the club sterling.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024