Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we are men on here today... 15:47 - Feb 5 with 9873 viewsTheResurrection

We'd not be throwing our toys out of our childish prams. We'd not be slaughtering our players who have stood up to a man the last few games and given their all.

We'd be grateful we've got a real chance at survival backed up by a stellar performance against some of the best players on earth.

That's as cruel as it gets and the second time on the bounce up there. But we went on and showed the courage to stay up after that pain last season, we can do the same this one.

Superb effort from the boys. Up the Jacks.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

If we are men on here today... on 18:57 - Feb 7 with 1027 viewsTheResurrection

If we are men on here today... on 17:59 - Feb 7 by Nirvana

Since you seem to admire the longform as well, I’ll try and keep up.

Yes, you are right I have a crush on you and hope we can spend Valentine’s Day together, how did you know? Well of course, probably cause you’re so damn important and everyone fawns over you? Nah, don’t know who you are and never will nor do I care to, as this is an internet forum and not a pub. We are all “anonymous” on here, that is exactly the point, that’s why we have “usernames” in the first place. You are just the loudest, most aggressive, and most frequent poster on a relatively obscure club’s (thanks to our phenomenal PR department) even more obscure message board. It is not difficult to be a contrarian or a cynic and garner attention. It is, however, quite desperate.

I don’t have another username and never have, have appreciated reading the forum for years to learn information about the club I would never have known otherwise. The personal BS on here is what frustrates me and, seemingly, many many other posters.

This is an internet forum for a football club. It is not a fight club, even though you seem to think it is. You want to fight so bad? Go take a kickboxing class. This is intended to be an open outlet for anyone to express their opinion freely without having to deal with the toughman routine from somebody with way too much free time on their hands. Personally, I don’t care what you say about me or to me, again, because I don’t know you and vice versa. Your shtick doesn’t work on me, but I have seen way too many quality threads destroyed or diverted because of your antics. No matter how frustrating, that can be dealt with. The hypocrisy and slagging off of our best players in the worst of times? That reeks of an ulterior motive.

As far as not having the “courage” to respond, courage is running into a burning building to save a child, standing your ground in the face of an invading army, sticking up for the nerd in school who gets beat up everyday, etc. Typing hateful words, threats, intimidation, and putdowns onto a screen from the safety of your house (or work, or wherever) is the exact opposite of courageous. You are, quite literally, a keyboard warrior. Hurray for you, to each his own, c’est la vie, all the rest.

But to address Siggy for a moment, do you really honestly believe that every player in the first team, much less the squad, is anywhere close to his level, as you insinuate?

Don't you think there is a reason why several top-level managers (optimisticly including our current one, as well) have gushed over he-who-shall-not-be-criticized (HWSNBC) in the media?

Is it because they're "psycophantic" "fanboys"? Is it because they're in love with him and hope they can hang out later and a couple compliments might help? Or is it because they see his quality and can actually acknowledge it freely without amending on some flaky critique, something you are incapable of?

The guy is an absolute class footballer and, not sure if you're aware, but we don't have a lot of that at the moment. Creating an entire aggressive thread built around one mistake of a turn that ended up a "facking" ridiculous Captain Jack own goal, buoyed by several self-taken phone shots of a paused tv at different moments to "prove" Siggy's a big baby and we should sell?

Constantly belittling posters who praise him and choosing every opportunity to criticize as unfairly and as loudly as possible?

I'd say it's a bit excessive. You would think when our most talented AND hardest working player suffers a temporary loss of form, a bleeding-heart supporter such as yourself wouldn’t start voicing "let's sell because he's poor and is a toddler" arguments every "facking" day. Just because people criticize Naughton (and Taylor before him) for being steaming piles of dog shite, which by the way they are, does not necessitate bashing our best hope for safety the way you consistently have.

Football is a team sport, but like every facet of life, some people matter more than others. Siggy is one of those. Taylor and Naughton are Championship-level players and, thankfully, at least one was forced to face up to that in January. If you can't acknowledge that, I don't know what to tell you. HWSNBC is certainly not without criticism and it should be pointed out when he plays poorly but the vendetta you have is strange and obsessive.

On the issue of "supporting our boys" and not damaging our frail players' psyches with hate, do you really think any of our players spend their free time reading PS?

If you believe that, again, I don't know what to tell you, except they definitely don't. If anything, they're on Twitter. Other than that, they're too rich and busy for this. I'd say a couple handfuls of people pointing out how much of a liability Naughton is on here will not cause him to assume the fetal position for the rest of the season. If the guy is worthy of your white Knight defense he'll take the little bit of well-deserved criticism he's received on the chin and work hard to improve several key areas of his game, something that would surely be praised on here were it to happen.

To the football.

I didn't miss your point about Siggy playing on the left, I fully comprehend, if there was one at all. Your original argument was that clement has found a "nice, little" place for HWSNBC on the left and him being given a subordinate role within the team has been the influence behind our recent upturn in results and performance.

But that's simply not true. He has actively assumed a larger and freer role since clement took over, both reflected in stats and in watching the games. PC has largely abandoned possession so the passing numbers might not appear as great and defensive statistics can be highly misleading but under any metric Siggy is THE driving force behind our recent form. He works his socks off to provide shape defensively out wide while still being relied on to be our creator from the center. Oh yeah, and have you seen some of his goals lately or throughout his entire career with us? I wasn’t criticizing watching the games back I do that with nearly every one of them, as it would be extremely difficult to grasp what everyone is doing with one viewing. Multiple viewings always show Siggy’s class, and anyone who says otherwise doesn’t understand what they’re seeing. Sometimes his stuff works, sometimes it doesn't but that is the role of a proper "10" if you want to keep using this term. A "10" in 2017 is more a frame of mind than a fixed position with how much forwards and midfielders interchange and HWSNBC is still the same player no matter where he plays.

You say he should be playing the safe pass and simple touches etc. but that is not the function of your chief attacking threat, or "10", anyone who's kicked a ball with a few strangers knows that. He is in the side to attempt risky passes and try and take that extra touch in order to create a better chance and sometimes his form is off and his ideas fail. You routinely lambast his "poor touch" while being seemingly unaware that his is CONSISTENTLY the best in the squad. If his touch is poor, what do you make of everyone else's? I don't hear you moaning about Captain Jack's poor control, something equally as galling, surely you can admit that?

The normal struggles of a "10" do not compare to someone like Naughton's abandonment of absolutely basic requirements of his position, something like, oh I don't know, making an attempt to stop the crosses both going into and coming into the box. Repeatedly this season he has "facked" up and in big moments and that is worthy of derision. Yes, Mawson and Fede froze as well on this last "fack" up but can anyone actually explain what Naughton is doing literally just watching jesus run in front of him and allowing 2 golden chances at destroying all the hard work of the previous 90+ minutes?

Is it asking too much to expect your RB to do more than remain FROZEN like "facking" Han Solo for 5 entire seconds at the most critical juncture of the match?

I don't think so and I'm very sure PC doesn't either. That type of crap isn't tolerated at your local park, so why is he excused just because he's marginally better than a 34 year old fading club legend?

At this point people are seriously suggesting trying Dyer there, that is how bad he has been. I would legitimately consider giving Routledge a few weeks of training on tackling and proper positioning inside our own box and seeing what he looked like back there away against Chelsea. That is the least winnable match we will play all season and it couldn't hurt to experiment, and I would be surprised if a bad performance ruined Routledge, as he seems pretty comfortable with himself. Even a switch to a back 3, bringing in Amat and playing Routledge at RWB to counter Chelsea's might be an intriguing thought if given proper preparation.

As far as your tactical knowledge goes, phrases like "main man" and " focal point" are fine and dandy and you wrote a bunch of insular fluff but I don't speak in vague generalities whenever describing, you know, the actual games. You can't be a "main man" in a football match. That is not a position, and it certainly doesn't reflect what takes place in the movement between the players, which is what they are being trained to do everyday. They are not being trained to figure out which one of them is the "main man".

In relation to the success of our current formation and the players’ roles within it, I don’t recall you being so praiseworthy before I pointed it out and I did so far more eloquently and directly than you ever could. I have seen you belittle people for their football knowledge and for never having played football but, seriously, you don’t know what the “fack” you are talking about most of the time on here and it’s mostly crap that wouldn’t make it onto a 14-year old’s blog. You do post an awful lot and “live and breathe” the club so you have that going for you. But truthfully, anyone who works in football would laugh at your amateur and thin analysis. You write how thierry henry speaks, except viewed through the prism of someone who played “some welsh league” and not the greatest premier league player ever.

Spurs absolutely never built their team around Siggy and are in a different stratosphere as a club, and we definitely haven't made an intelligent or expensive attempt at it. Honestly pretending as if either of these are true is insanely duplicitous. Like I said before, best way to build around him would be tricky and quick on the wings and throw in a pacy, strong target man like bony to ensure HWSNBC’ vision is fully exploited and the pitch is stretched with space in front of goal for him to run onto. Somebody like Allen, a ballplaying Swiss Army knife with some fight (which Fer and Carroll have been doing an admirable tag team job of late in our current system), playing alongside Cork behind Siggy would work, although ideally the DM would be more physical and a bit more graceful than Captain Jack. Having two attacking fullbacks wouldn’t hurt either, a couple bodies to provide the overlap and cutbacks that HWSNBC thrives on.

By the way, I could fart stuff like this out and more every single day and not just copy and paste the “facking” box score with sophomoric cliff notes, I choose not to because I'm not a self-important blowhard who needs the hate just to feel relevant. Appreciate your "service" to the club toughman but you weren't the only one there through the hard times and, yes, the times are a-changing. I don’t see any other longtime supporters venting as hyperbolically and misleadingly as you do.

I know its hard to take SCFC is owned by two American idiots who know nothing about football, but it is and those valiant local Swansea businessmen were the ones who greedily drove the nail in the coffin. The wonderful, magical "Jack to a King" story is mostly shite PR and has been shown to be, and the "fackers" made it with a large chunk of club money. That's hard to swallow but instead of wasting time gleefully knocking our best players in the midst of a relegation fight, maybe you should be continuing to lob grenades at the "fackers" in the director's box, who are still unbelievably key figures and actually continuing to rake in the club sterling.

You my new friend are the biggest coward and it seems you have been stalking me around this board for years.

That never ending wishy washy journey through my history on this site and your pathetic attempt at being anyone other than the truest of keyboard warriors was so tedious I could only skim read it here and there.

You remind me of an old adversary, Kev Mahoney, except you've taken on Agent Dimi levels of obsession with your latest attempts at getting closer to me.

By the way, we use usernames but most know who we are on here. In fact. the majority of people I respond to I know and some quite well.

ps you did well on staying away from here - maybe you've missed a shrink appointment and are spiralling out of control. Perhaps we'll speak soon again? When you pluck up the courage to hide behind your keyboard again.

Fair play, what a big facking baby!

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

If we are men on here today... on 19:21 - Feb 7 with 988 viewsBrynmill_Jack

If we are men on here today... on 18:57 - Feb 7 by TheResurrection

You my new friend are the biggest coward and it seems you have been stalking me around this board for years.

That never ending wishy washy journey through my history on this site and your pathetic attempt at being anyone other than the truest of keyboard warriors was so tedious I could only skim read it here and there.

You remind me of an old adversary, Kev Mahoney, except you've taken on Agent Dimi levels of obsession with your latest attempts at getting closer to me.

By the way, we use usernames but most know who we are on here. In fact. the majority of people I respond to I know and some quite well.

ps you did well on staying away from here - maybe you've missed a shrink appointment and are spiralling out of control. Perhaps we'll speak soon again? When you pluck up the courage to hide behind your keyboard again.

Fair play, what a big facking baby!

This thread has made my eyes hurt . There's at least three novels contained in it

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

If we are men on here today... on 19:27 - Feb 7 with 981 viewsItchySphincter

If we are men on here today... on 19:21 - Feb 7 by Brynmill_Jack

This thread has made my eyes hurt . There's at least three novels contained in it

It's the bastard child of Icey and Sproutty.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

If we are men on here today... on 19:28 - Feb 7 with 980 viewsTheResurrection

A massive lesson for me here mate....

Never criticise Siggy again!!! ;-)

If we are men on here today... on 19:37 - Feb 7 with 952 viewsexiledclaseboy

If we are men on here today... on 19:27 - Feb 7 by ItchySphincter

It's the bastard child of Icey and Sproutty.

**shudders**

Poll: Tory leader

If we are men on here today... on 19:38 - Feb 7 with 948 viewsDarran

I agree with the OP but football used to be such a simple game and in my opinion it is being over analysed.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

If we are men on here today... on 19:59 - Feb 7 with 904 viewsStarsky

It's just the internet, init.

If we are men on here today... on 19:59 - Feb 7 with 902 viewsLoyal

The post by nirvana was one of the very longest in pS history surely 😂

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Login to get fewer ads

If we are men on here today... on 20:01 - Feb 7 with 896 viewsStarsky

If we are men on here today... on 19:59 - Feb 7 by Loyal

Spratty was a book writer too

It's just the internet, init.

If we are men on here today... on 20:01 - Feb 7 with 889 viewsBloodyhills

If we are men on here today... on 17:59 - Feb 7 by Nirvana

Since you seem to admire the longform as well, I’ll try and keep up.

Yes, you are right I have a crush on you and hope we can spend Valentine’s Day together, how did you know? Well of course, probably cause you’re so damn important and everyone fawns over you? Nah, don’t know who you are and never will nor do I care to, as this is an internet forum and not a pub. We are all “anonymous” on here, that is exactly the point, that’s why we have “usernames” in the first place. You are just the loudest, most aggressive, and most frequent poster on a relatively obscure club’s (thanks to our phenomenal PR department) even more obscure message board. It is not difficult to be a contrarian or a cynic and garner attention. It is, however, quite desperate.

I don’t have another username and never have, have appreciated reading the forum for years to learn information about the club I would never have known otherwise. The personal BS on here is what frustrates me and, seemingly, many many other posters.

This is an internet forum for a football club. It is not a fight club, even though you seem to think it is. You want to fight so bad? Go take a kickboxing class. This is intended to be an open outlet for anyone to express their opinion freely without having to deal with the toughman routine from somebody with way too much free time on their hands. Personally, I don’t care what you say about me or to me, again, because I don’t know you and vice versa. Your shtick doesn’t work on me, but I have seen way too many quality threads destroyed or diverted because of your antics. No matter how frustrating, that can be dealt with. The hypocrisy and slagging off of our best players in the worst of times? That reeks of an ulterior motive.

As far as not having the “courage” to respond, courage is running into a burning building to save a child, standing your ground in the face of an invading army, sticking up for the nerd in school who gets beat up everyday, etc. Typing hateful words, threats, intimidation, and putdowns onto a screen from the safety of your house (or work, or wherever) is the exact opposite of courageous. You are, quite literally, a keyboard warrior. Hurray for you, to each his own, c’est la vie, all the rest.

But to address Siggy for a moment, do you really honestly believe that every player in the first team, much less the squad, is anywhere close to his level, as you insinuate?

Don't you think there is a reason why several top-level managers (optimisticly including our current one, as well) have gushed over he-who-shall-not-be-criticized (HWSNBC) in the media?

Is it because they're "psycophantic" "fanboys"? Is it because they're in love with him and hope they can hang out later and a couple compliments might help? Or is it because they see his quality and can actually acknowledge it freely without amending on some flaky critique, something you are incapable of?

The guy is an absolute class footballer and, not sure if you're aware, but we don't have a lot of that at the moment. Creating an entire aggressive thread built around one mistake of a turn that ended up a "facking" ridiculous Captain Jack own goal, buoyed by several self-taken phone shots of a paused tv at different moments to "prove" Siggy's a big baby and we should sell?

Constantly belittling posters who praise him and choosing every opportunity to criticize as unfairly and as loudly as possible?

I'd say it's a bit excessive. You would think when our most talented AND hardest working player suffers a temporary loss of form, a bleeding-heart supporter such as yourself wouldn’t start voicing "let's sell because he's poor and is a toddler" arguments every "facking" day. Just because people criticize Naughton (and Taylor before him) for being steaming piles of dog shite, which by the way they are, does not necessitate bashing our best hope for safety the way you consistently have.

Football is a team sport, but like every facet of life, some people matter more than others. Siggy is one of those. Taylor and Naughton are Championship-level players and, thankfully, at least one was forced to face up to that in January. If you can't acknowledge that, I don't know what to tell you. HWSNBC is certainly not without criticism and it should be pointed out when he plays poorly but the vendetta you have is strange and obsessive.

On the issue of "supporting our boys" and not damaging our frail players' psyches with hate, do you really think any of our players spend their free time reading PS?

If you believe that, again, I don't know what to tell you, except they definitely don't. If anything, they're on Twitter. Other than that, they're too rich and busy for this. I'd say a couple handfuls of people pointing out how much of a liability Naughton is on here will not cause him to assume the fetal position for the rest of the season. If the guy is worthy of your white Knight defense he'll take the little bit of well-deserved criticism he's received on the chin and work hard to improve several key areas of his game, something that would surely be praised on here were it to happen.

To the football.

I didn't miss your point about Siggy playing on the left, I fully comprehend, if there was one at all. Your original argument was that clement has found a "nice, little" place for HWSNBC on the left and him being given a subordinate role within the team has been the influence behind our recent upturn in results and performance.

But that's simply not true. He has actively assumed a larger and freer role since clement took over, both reflected in stats and in watching the games. PC has largely abandoned possession so the passing numbers might not appear as great and defensive statistics can be highly misleading but under any metric Siggy is THE driving force behind our recent form. He works his socks off to provide shape defensively out wide while still being relied on to be our creator from the center. Oh yeah, and have you seen some of his goals lately or throughout his entire career with us? I wasn’t criticizing watching the games back I do that with nearly every one of them, as it would be extremely difficult to grasp what everyone is doing with one viewing. Multiple viewings always show Siggy’s class, and anyone who says otherwise doesn’t understand what they’re seeing. Sometimes his stuff works, sometimes it doesn't but that is the role of a proper "10" if you want to keep using this term. A "10" in 2017 is more a frame of mind than a fixed position with how much forwards and midfielders interchange and HWSNBC is still the same player no matter where he plays.

You say he should be playing the safe pass and simple touches etc. but that is not the function of your chief attacking threat, or "10", anyone who's kicked a ball with a few strangers knows that. He is in the side to attempt risky passes and try and take that extra touch in order to create a better chance and sometimes his form is off and his ideas fail. You routinely lambast his "poor touch" while being seemingly unaware that his is CONSISTENTLY the best in the squad. If his touch is poor, what do you make of everyone else's? I don't hear you moaning about Captain Jack's poor control, something equally as galling, surely you can admit that?

The normal struggles of a "10" do not compare to someone like Naughton's abandonment of absolutely basic requirements of his position, something like, oh I don't know, making an attempt to stop the crosses both going into and coming into the box. Repeatedly this season he has "facked" up and in big moments and that is worthy of derision. Yes, Mawson and Fede froze as well on this last "fack" up but can anyone actually explain what Naughton is doing literally just watching jesus run in front of him and allowing 2 golden chances at destroying all the hard work of the previous 90+ minutes?

Is it asking too much to expect your RB to do more than remain FROZEN like "facking" Han Solo for 5 entire seconds at the most critical juncture of the match?

I don't think so and I'm very sure PC doesn't either. That type of crap isn't tolerated at your local park, so why is he excused just because he's marginally better than a 34 year old fading club legend?

At this point people are seriously suggesting trying Dyer there, that is how bad he has been. I would legitimately consider giving Routledge a few weeks of training on tackling and proper positioning inside our own box and seeing what he looked like back there away against Chelsea. That is the least winnable match we will play all season and it couldn't hurt to experiment, and I would be surprised if a bad performance ruined Routledge, as he seems pretty comfortable with himself. Even a switch to a back 3, bringing in Amat and playing Routledge at RWB to counter Chelsea's might be an intriguing thought if given proper preparation.

As far as your tactical knowledge goes, phrases like "main man" and " focal point" are fine and dandy and you wrote a bunch of insular fluff but I don't speak in vague generalities whenever describing, you know, the actual games. You can't be a "main man" in a football match. That is not a position, and it certainly doesn't reflect what takes place in the movement between the players, which is what they are being trained to do everyday. They are not being trained to figure out which one of them is the "main man".

In relation to the success of our current formation and the players’ roles within it, I don’t recall you being so praiseworthy before I pointed it out and I did so far more eloquently and directly than you ever could. I have seen you belittle people for their football knowledge and for never having played football but, seriously, you don’t know what the “fack” you are talking about most of the time on here and it’s mostly crap that wouldn’t make it onto a 14-year old’s blog. You do post an awful lot and “live and breathe” the club so you have that going for you. But truthfully, anyone who works in football would laugh at your amateur and thin analysis. You write how thierry henry speaks, except viewed through the prism of someone who played “some welsh league” and not the greatest premier league player ever.

Spurs absolutely never built their team around Siggy and are in a different stratosphere as a club, and we definitely haven't made an intelligent or expensive attempt at it. Honestly pretending as if either of these are true is insanely duplicitous. Like I said before, best way to build around him would be tricky and quick on the wings and throw in a pacy, strong target man like bony to ensure HWSNBC’ vision is fully exploited and the pitch is stretched with space in front of goal for him to run onto. Somebody like Allen, a ballplaying Swiss Army knife with some fight (which Fer and Carroll have been doing an admirable tag team job of late in our current system), playing alongside Cork behind Siggy would work, although ideally the DM would be more physical and a bit more graceful than Captain Jack. Having two attacking fullbacks wouldn’t hurt either, a couple bodies to provide the overlap and cutbacks that HWSNBC thrives on.

By the way, I could fart stuff like this out and more every single day and not just copy and paste the “facking” box score with sophomoric cliff notes, I choose not to because I'm not a self-important blowhard who needs the hate just to feel relevant. Appreciate your "service" to the club toughman but you weren't the only one there through the hard times and, yes, the times are a-changing. I don’t see any other longtime supporters venting as hyperbolically and misleadingly as you do.

I know its hard to take SCFC is owned by two American idiots who know nothing about football, but it is and those valiant local Swansea businessmen were the ones who greedily drove the nail in the coffin. The wonderful, magical "Jack to a King" story is mostly shite PR and has been shown to be, and the "fackers" made it with a large chunk of club money. That's hard to swallow but instead of wasting time gleefully knocking our best players in the midst of a relegation fight, maybe you should be continuing to lob grenades at the "fackers" in the director's box, who are still unbelievably key figures and actually continuing to rake in the club sterling.

Is there an award for the longest post of the year?

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

If we are men on here today... on 20:35 - Feb 7 with 853 viewsLoyal

If we are men on here today... on 20:01 - Feb 7 by Starsky

Spratty was a book writer too

Phil's mate ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

If we are men on here today... on 21:40 - Feb 7 with 806 viewsNirvana

Then don't read it. Scroll through and stick to the Res' novels. Far more compelling and insightful.
If we are men on here today... on 22:59 - Feb 7 with 766 viewsBrynmill_Jack

If we are men on here today... on 19:59 - Feb 7 by Loyal

Just scrolling down one of those on my phone made me feel like the Andrex puppy

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

If we are men on here today... on 23:13 - Feb 7 with 755 viewsmorningstar

If we are men on here today... on 21:40 - Feb 7 by Nirvana

Then don't read it. Scroll through and stick to the Res' novels. Far more compelling and insightful.

It was Magna Carta stuff mate. Sorry.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

If we are men on here today... on 23:41 - Feb 7 with 739 viewsNirvana

If we are men on here today... on 23:13 - Feb 7 by morningstar

It was Magna Carta stuff mate. Sorry.

True, I could've split it into two or three posts. That would have been better in hindsight. But the words are there, regardless, and much like a book, can be read in bits and pieces and put down, if that's your fancy.
If we are men on here today... on 23:52 - Feb 7 with 723 viewsmorningstar

If we are men on here today... on 23:41 - Feb 7 by Nirvana

True, I could've split it into two or three posts. That would have been better in hindsight. But the words are there, regardless, and much like a book, can be read in bits and pieces and put down, if that's your fancy.

Nope, you could have split it into a hundred posts and argued your point bit by bit, that's what football forums are about.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

If we are men on here today... on 00:45 - Feb 8 with 682 viewsNirvana

If we are men on here today... on 23:52 - Feb 7 by morningstar

Nope, you could have split it into a hundred posts and argued your point bit by bit, that's what football forums are about.

True, but surely that would have been just as long?
If we are men on here today... on 01:48 - Feb 8 with 656 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

If we are men on here today... on 19:28 - Feb 7 by TheResurrection

A massive lesson for me here mate....

Never criticise Siggy again!!! ;-)

Criticise !

You wanted to sell him

You lunatic 😂

That be the bed that you laid.

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

If we are men on here today... on 13:36 - Feb 8 with 566 viewsTheResurrection

If we are men on here today... on 01:48 - Feb 8 by oh_tommy_tommy

Criticise !

You wanted to sell him

You lunatic 😂

That be the bed that you laid.

Can you guess who wrote this pile of old tosh Tommy, lad?

"""Play wingers and a centre forward at home every game , we seem to have become a team fearful and more worried about the opposition then our set up.

That was another dreadful 1st half performance Saturday , only picking up when a centreforward came on , then we went 3-2 . So he took our wingers off and by F@ck we all could see it coming .
3-4 .
Put a winger on 5-4 .
It's siggy over Fer all day long and siggy should be a 10 .
Fers good for 70 minutes then he blows up.
Your correct though Bobs problem is he doesn't know what his best team is and that's worrying"""

Good job we went with the wingers and put Siggy number 10 whilst dropping Fer...

Take your time....

If we are men on here today... on 14:04 - Feb 8 with 544 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

If we are men on here today... on 13:36 - Feb 8 by TheResurrection

Can you guess who wrote this pile of old tosh Tommy, lad?

"""Play wingers and a centre forward at home every game , we seem to have become a team fearful and more worried about the opposition then our set up.

That was another dreadful 1st half performance Saturday , only picking up when a centreforward came on , then we went 3-2 . So he took our wingers off and by F@ck we all could see it coming .
3-4 .
Put a winger on 5-4 .
It's siggy over Fer all day long and siggy should be a 10 .
Fers good for 70 minutes then he blows up.
Your correct though Bobs problem is he doesn't know what his best team is and that's worrying"""

Good job we went with the wingers and put Siggy number 10 whilst dropping Fer...

Take your time....

Yep indeed that's your Bob the bradley there who didn't have a clue , started a lopsided diamond , with no centre forward at home against Crystal Palace Put Llorente on (WHICH BY THE WAY YOU WANTED TO SELL AS WELL ) and we scored goals , 3-1 up
Then ,took a winger off and 4-3 down
Put another winger on & we won 5-4 .

If you think Fer is a better 10 than siggy then you go for it .

Take MY time ?

I'd put the spade down now , your deep enough my friend .
You can go looking in the archives for more tosh I've posted ,
When times were tough( &they still are )you wanted to sell our best player and get someone else in .

You'll be for ever remembered for that I'm afraid .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

If we are men on here today... on 14:20 - Feb 8 with 1335 viewsperchrockjack

Kev Mahoney.
Wow

Along with a party of our fans! Had him in my house here with his very attractive woman .

Cheeky booger sat in my favourite armchair.

He got some chutzpah and miss him badly.

Completely up his own arse but great value

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

If we are men on here today... on 14:49 - Feb 8 with 1311 viewswaynekerr55

If we are men on here today... on 14:20 - Feb 8 by perchrockjack

Kev Mahoney.
Wow

Along with a party of our fans! Had him in my house here with his very attractive woman .

Cheeky booger sat in my favourite armchair.

He got some chutzpah and miss him badly.

Completely up his own arse but great value

Definitely buckets of chutzpah to sit in Perchie's chair

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

If we are men on here today... on 15:30 - Feb 8 with 1283 viewsNirvana

If we are men on here today... on 16:41 - Feb 6 by MoscowJack

I could be VERY wrong here but was The Res suggesting that instead of taking the very risky strategy of relying on one player to dig us out of a huge hole, it could be better to sell him for 30m and buy 2 x 15m or 3 x 10m, 4 x7.5m, that would generally improve an extremely weak TEAM?

If Siggy has a dip in form or gets injured, we lose our whole hand. Some would say we lose everything, but the purchase of Carroll, form of Fer, form of Cork and potential of Narsingh has given us a bit more optimism. The $1m question is whether the form of Carroll, Fer and Cork been because Siggy's out wide and we're better as a unit? I wouldn't disagree with that, to be honest.

Also, did any of us expect HJ & Co to spend 15m (net) or more during that window? I know that I didn't.

Did any of us expect Fer and Cork to improve so dramatically from the liabilities that they were under Bob to disciplined and hard-working essential cogs in a much stronger midfield?

I'm not defending The Res but putting Siggy out wide has enabled us to play with far better shape. Picking him central, just because he might be more effective there, wouldn't make sense if it made the team as a whole becomes less effective.

Finally, going back to the original post - I hope the players gave Naughton a right kicking in the dressing room for not putting more pressure on Jesus for that header.....or following in on the rebound.

Us knocking his confidence won't help though and we haven't REALLY got a better option in the squad unfortunately, but he is a liability. Until the summer, what do we do? Go with Rangel, whose legs have gone (and he's not shy of the odd mistake either) or stick with Naughton and hope Clement can improve him quickly?

As stupid as it sounds, maybe the best thing is for him to hear us supporting him the moment he walks out against Leicester. It's such a vital game and I would hate to see his game deteriorate even further because the crowd got on his back from the first minute. Singing his name might sound a bit nuts but I think it would actually help on this occasion.

You don't sell your best player in a relegation battle if you want to stay up, it's that simple.

Scouting and talent evaluation are difficult and subjective but, as a general rule of thumb, two £15m players are not equal to one £30m, etc. Football is a team sport and it's always better to have more good players but class is hard to find. Sometimes you find a bargain diamond like Michu but it is highly unlikely, which is part of the reason he is such an iconic figure. Basically, you get what you pay for.

Of course it's a bit reductive but I'd much rather have one Siggy over two Borjas, and that's about what it boils down to.

I also seriously can't imagine the club would have reinvested even half of that theoretical £30m. The owners were not going to spend anywhere close to £40m this past window under any scenario.

It is a ridiculously nearsighted and nefarious ploy for any supporter to loudly and aggressively advocate for the sale of our best player during one of our darkest times.
If we are men on here today... on 16:21 - Feb 8 with 1250 viewsNirvana

If we are men on here today... on 21:39 - Feb 6 by MoscowJack

I think Fer had become a liability. His lack of discipline and fitness was an issue for us. I love players like Fer and Shelvey who make the ridiculous look simple but, nowadays, these players have to put in a shift too. He wasn't, in my book.

Cork's confidence in himself look blown and he also needed time out of the limelight. He needed two or three touches every time the ball got to him and when he wasn't afforded time to do that, you felt that his first-time pass was a guess. Usually the results of those passes more than suggested it was. I've seen Cork have too many good games, where he stood out in games we lost or dominated (so not just for his defensive qualities in a backs-to-the-wall type game) to understand that there was a good player there somewhere.

Part of Fer and Cork's issues were probably down to poor management, but their poor form was an issue. That's why Leon, Ki and Fulton were tried in their positions.

It really has been special watching them thrive over the past week and I don't think they've had enough credit for the efforts to improve their game. If it's down to Clement, Makelele (or a mixture of both) then we really have reasons to be optimistic.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2017 23:01]

So, this is what I meant in reference to the formation change that I brought up.

Fer and Cork, while certainly not terrible players, are not able to successfully control a midfield if it is just the two of them behind our attackers. They each have gaping holes in parts of their game, and they do not compensate for each other's weaknesses very well, something that would help mask their collective deficiencies.

Changing to a 4141/451 like we have with Cork at the base and Fer and Carroll closely flanking him, with clear instructions to stay as tight as possible and alternate pressing up high, was intended to shore up our insanely leaky defence while allowing us to counter in possession. Each of these guys has played the part pretty damn well so far and I hope it continues into May. But they are not overnight superstars, they are still the same players, just with a hugely improved coaching staff.

Switching the system is not a repudiation of Siggy's ability to operate through the middle, as he is still doing that. He has been told to defend out wide because he fights for every ball, something only Routledge does. He is continuing to spend the vast majority of his time located centrally when we are in possession, and that is when we look best in attack.

Cork and Fer have performed extremely well recently and this is to be appreciated and applauded. But the system PC has set them up in and the clear, strict guidelines they are clearly playing under has provided us with the organization we have been lacking without a true leader in the backline.

The way we are playing now is extremely similar to how Atletico play under Simeone. PC is very familiar with his work, having prepared Bayern and Real's tactics countless times recently to deal with it, and it is honestly astounding how much of an impact he (and Claude, I would assume) have had on our shape and instilling a battling mentality.
If we are men on here today... on 18:23 - Feb 8 with 1180 viewsTheResurrection

If we are men on here today... on 16:21 - Feb 8 by Nirvana

So, this is what I meant in reference to the formation change that I brought up.

Fer and Cork, while certainly not terrible players, are not able to successfully control a midfield if it is just the two of them behind our attackers. They each have gaping holes in parts of their game, and they do not compensate for each other's weaknesses very well, something that would help mask their collective deficiencies.

Changing to a 4141/451 like we have with Cork at the base and Fer and Carroll closely flanking him, with clear instructions to stay as tight as possible and alternate pressing up high, was intended to shore up our insanely leaky defence while allowing us to counter in possession. Each of these guys has played the part pretty damn well so far and I hope it continues into May. But they are not overnight superstars, they are still the same players, just with a hugely improved coaching staff.

Switching the system is not a repudiation of Siggy's ability to operate through the middle, as he is still doing that. He has been told to defend out wide because he fights for every ball, something only Routledge does. He is continuing to spend the vast majority of his time located centrally when we are in possession, and that is when we look best in attack.

Cork and Fer have performed extremely well recently and this is to be appreciated and applauded. But the system PC has set them up in and the clear, strict guidelines they are clearly playing under has provided us with the organization we have been lacking without a true leader in the backline.

The way we are playing now is extremely similar to how Atletico play under Simeone. PC is very familiar with his work, having prepared Bayern and Real's tactics countless times recently to deal with it, and it is honestly astounding how much of an impact he (and Claude, I would assume) have had on our shape and instilling a battling mentality.

Wow, a bite size version of Kev's musings. I'm impressed - getting there!

I agree, however it's not what the Swansea purists were calling for when Guido was in charge and you'd have to say, what ultimately got him sacked, but it's doing the best with the hand that's been dealt and slightly improved since the window.

Nevertheless, it's certainly not playing with 2 wingers, which Tommy so vehemently stated we had to, nor is it playing with Siggy centrally. Yes, he's got a freer role than Routledge, who is arguably tasked with doing the most similar of roles to Siggy, but he's still got a very defined set of instructions certainly without the ball.

It's hard to see us, at least while we're scrapping for every ball, every point etc, changing this set up but it's nice we do have options off the bench. I was far more encouraged by Narsingh after City than I was after Southampton and you'd like to think he'll only get better when he's more used to who he's playing with, and of course we still have Ayew to come in who will give us a genuine new option in attack or out wide.

I like Siggy, regardless of what I've been critical of over the course of this season. I suggested selling him, or perhaps better put, sacrificing him, for what I drastically thought maybe for the betterment of us as a whole unit - I didn't expect the new owners to pump in £20m, to their credit.

However, I don't think Siggy will be a truly successful number 10 - yeah, Kev, that is a recognised position in football land, at least not for one of the more fancied sides. I feel he lacks key components to excel there. He's what, 27/28 now and his teams have included us, Reading, Hoffenheim and what has to be described as a failed move to Spurs. They tried him in the middle but it just didn't work, yet they wanted to persevere with him because he definitely does offer something to any team, so they tried him further wide cutting in, but as we know, he's not truly a wide player either so he's a bit of an enigma - but he's one that does know how to create and score goals so he'll be an asset to us.

Maybe the whole picture would change again if we had a Bony type player in front of him but all arguments aside, he's not clicked with Llorente, not to any great effect, and this is a major reason why we've effectively shoehorned him into a position most don't want to see him in.

But for now it's working for us and that's all that should matter.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2017 18:24]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024