Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we are men on here today... 15:47 - Feb 5 with 9872 viewsTheResurrection

We'd not be throwing our toys out of our childish prams. We'd not be slaughtering our players who have stood up to a man the last few games and given their all.

We'd be grateful we've got a real chance at survival backed up by a stellar performance against some of the best players on earth.

That's as cruel as it gets and the second time on the bounce up there. But we went on and showed the courage to stay up after that pain last season, we can do the same this one.

Superb effort from the boys. Up the Jacks.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

If we are men on here today... on 20:25 - Feb 8 with 1212 viewsNirvana

If we are men on here today... on 20:01 - Feb 7 by Bloodyhills

Is there an award for the longest post of the year?

Cleaning out the trophy case now. Give me a minute.
If we are men on here today... on 21:56 - Feb 8 with 1178 viewsperchrockjack

I've since sold the chair wayNe

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

If we are men on here today... on 15:22 - Feb 9 with 1089 viewsNirvana

If we are men on here today... on 18:23 - Feb 8 by TheResurrection

Wow, a bite size version of Kev's musings. I'm impressed - getting there!

I agree, however it's not what the Swansea purists were calling for when Guido was in charge and you'd have to say, what ultimately got him sacked, but it's doing the best with the hand that's been dealt and slightly improved since the window.

Nevertheless, it's certainly not playing with 2 wingers, which Tommy so vehemently stated we had to, nor is it playing with Siggy centrally. Yes, he's got a freer role than Routledge, who is arguably tasked with doing the most similar of roles to Siggy, but he's still got a very defined set of instructions certainly without the ball.

It's hard to see us, at least while we're scrapping for every ball, every point etc, changing this set up but it's nice we do have options off the bench. I was far more encouraged by Narsingh after City than I was after Southampton and you'd like to think he'll only get better when he's more used to who he's playing with, and of course we still have Ayew to come in who will give us a genuine new option in attack or out wide.

I like Siggy, regardless of what I've been critical of over the course of this season. I suggested selling him, or perhaps better put, sacrificing him, for what I drastically thought maybe for the betterment of us as a whole unit - I didn't expect the new owners to pump in £20m, to their credit.

However, I don't think Siggy will be a truly successful number 10 - yeah, Kev, that is a recognised position in football land, at least not for one of the more fancied sides. I feel he lacks key components to excel there. He's what, 27/28 now and his teams have included us, Reading, Hoffenheim and what has to be described as a failed move to Spurs. They tried him in the middle but it just didn't work, yet they wanted to persevere with him because he definitely does offer something to any team, so they tried him further wide cutting in, but as we know, he's not truly a wide player either so he's a bit of an enigma - but he's one that does know how to create and score goals so he'll be an asset to us.

Maybe the whole picture would change again if we had a Bony type player in front of him but all arguments aside, he's not clicked with Llorente, not to any great effect, and this is a major reason why we've effectively shoehorned him into a position most don't want to see him in.

But for now it's working for us and that's all that should matter.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2017 18:24]

First, too long. Now, too short. Maybe I'll find that sweet spot one of these days.

And, as I said, Spurs are on a different level as a club and are not comparable to us, especially when discussing players' "failed" stints there. Under that logic, Carroll could never play midfield, as they tried but he's only cut out to be a sub, and Naughton should stick to the Championship, a level much closer to his ability. I agree on Naughton, but surely success there (or lack of) is not indicative of how a player will look in a Swans kit.

And, again, they certainly never built their team around him, nor did they give him a fair chance at being a "10". What was it? Maybe a 5-match run, if that? Let's not forget his first year was Bale's supernova season, and his second was AVB's swan song of being relevant, and the club was in a bit of turmoil. Not exactly the best working conditions to thrive in for a new (and young) player.

Ultimately, he is unequivocally OUR star and "main man" and we should all be able to acknowledge that and be grateful he enjoys playing for the club so much. We shouldn't be trying to "facking" sell him, especially facing relegation, under any circumstance.

Glad you're impressed, though, it really made my day.
If we are men on here today... on 15:22 - Feb 9 with 1089 viewsNirvana

If we are men on here today... on 18:23 - Feb 8 by TheResurrection

Wow, a bite size version of Kev's musings. I'm impressed - getting there!

I agree, however it's not what the Swansea purists were calling for when Guido was in charge and you'd have to say, what ultimately got him sacked, but it's doing the best with the hand that's been dealt and slightly improved since the window.

Nevertheless, it's certainly not playing with 2 wingers, which Tommy so vehemently stated we had to, nor is it playing with Siggy centrally. Yes, he's got a freer role than Routledge, who is arguably tasked with doing the most similar of roles to Siggy, but he's still got a very defined set of instructions certainly without the ball.

It's hard to see us, at least while we're scrapping for every ball, every point etc, changing this set up but it's nice we do have options off the bench. I was far more encouraged by Narsingh after City than I was after Southampton and you'd like to think he'll only get better when he's more used to who he's playing with, and of course we still have Ayew to come in who will give us a genuine new option in attack or out wide.

I like Siggy, regardless of what I've been critical of over the course of this season. I suggested selling him, or perhaps better put, sacrificing him, for what I drastically thought maybe for the betterment of us as a whole unit - I didn't expect the new owners to pump in £20m, to their credit.

However, I don't think Siggy will be a truly successful number 10 - yeah, Kev, that is a recognised position in football land, at least not for one of the more fancied sides. I feel he lacks key components to excel there. He's what, 27/28 now and his teams have included us, Reading, Hoffenheim and what has to be described as a failed move to Spurs. They tried him in the middle but it just didn't work, yet they wanted to persevere with him because he definitely does offer something to any team, so they tried him further wide cutting in, but as we know, he's not truly a wide player either so he's a bit of an enigma - but he's one that does know how to create and score goals so he'll be an asset to us.

Maybe the whole picture would change again if we had a Bony type player in front of him but all arguments aside, he's not clicked with Llorente, not to any great effect, and this is a major reason why we've effectively shoehorned him into a position most don't want to see him in.

But for now it's working for us and that's all that should matter.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2017 18:24]

(edit: earliee post due to phone fackup)

First, too long. Now, too short. Maybe I'll find that sweet spot one of these days.

And, as I said, Spurs are on a different level as a club and are not comparable to us. A player's "failed" stint there shouldn't be considered representative of how they will look in a Swans kit. By that logic, Carroll couldn't play midfield as he's only fit to be a sub, and Naughton should stick to the Championship, a level more comparable to his ability. I agree on Naughton but success there (or lack of) is not indicative of how they play for us.

Again, Spurs never built their team around him nor did they even give him a meaningful shot at being a "10". What was it? A five-match run? Let's not forget his first year there was Bale's supernova season and his second (and last) was AVB's swan song of remaining relevant. Not exactly the best conditions for a new (and young) player.

Ultimately, he is OUR star and "main man", and we should be supportive of him and be glad he enjoys playing for the club so much. We shouldn't be trying to "facking" sell him, especially not in the midst of a relegation battle.

[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 15:38]
If we are men on here today... on 15:45 - Feb 9 with 1059 viewsNirvana

If we are men on here today... on 15:22 - Feb 9 by Nirvana

(edit: earliee post due to phone fackup)

And, as I said, Spurs are on a different level as a club and are not comparable to us. A player's "failed" stint there shouldn't be considered representative of how they will look in a Swans kit. By that logic, Carroll couldn't play midfield as he's only fit to be a sub, and Naughton should stick to the Championship, a level more comparable to his ability. I agree on Naughton but success there (or lack of) is not indicative of how they play for us.

Again, Spurs never built their team around him nor did they even give him a meaningful shot at being a "10". What was it? A five-match run? Let's not forget his first year there was Bale's supernova season and his second (and last) was AVB's swan song of remaining relevant. Not exactly the best conditions for a new (and young) player.

Ultimately, he is OUR star and "main man", and we should be supportive of him and be glad he enjoys playing for the club so much. We shouldn't be trying to "facking" sell him, especially not in the midst of a relegation battle.

[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 15:38]

1) Phone "fackup"
2) Slightly different wording on posts
3) Point remains
If we are men on here today... on 17:41 - Feb 9 with 1009 viewsTheResurrection

If we are men on here today... on 15:45 - Feb 9 by Nirvana

1) Phone "fackup"
2) Slightly different wording on posts
3) Point remains

Aye.....

YAWN.................

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....................

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

If we are men on here today... on 19:07 - Feb 9 with 966 viewsNirvana

If we are men on here today... on 17:41 - Feb 9 by TheResurrection

Aye.....

YAWN.................

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....................

Yes, I know, context is boring, and maybe you've had a sleepless night or two recently and you're tired.

Was it you with the down arrow on the Ayew thread? Presumably so, you or Dwight. Either way, what a "sad kunt" (your words, Mr. PM Toughman) you must be.

Beautiful weather outside, so I'm enjoying my day. Maybe you should try and do the same.
If we are men on here today... on 19:18 - Feb 9 with 952 viewsTheResurrection

If we are men on here today... on 19:07 - Feb 9 by Nirvana

Yes, I know, context is boring, and maybe you've had a sleepless night or two recently and you're tired.

Was it you with the down arrow on the Ayew thread? Presumably so, you or Dwight. Either way, what a "sad kunt" (your words, Mr. PM Toughman) you must be.

Beautiful weather outside, so I'm enjoying my day. Maybe you should try and do the same.

Aye.....

YAWN.................

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...................

Login to get fewer ads

If we are men on here today... on 21:14 - Feb 10 with 847 viewsNirvana

If we are men on here today... on 16:21 - Feb 8 by Nirvana

So, this is what I meant in reference to the formation change that I brought up.

Fer and Cork, while certainly not terrible players, are not able to successfully control a midfield if it is just the two of them behind our attackers. They each have gaping holes in parts of their game, and they do not compensate for each other's weaknesses very well, something that would help mask their collective deficiencies.

Changing to a 4141/451 like we have with Cork at the base and Fer and Carroll closely flanking him, with clear instructions to stay as tight as possible and alternate pressing up high, was intended to shore up our insanely leaky defence while allowing us to counter in possession. Each of these guys has played the part pretty damn well so far and I hope it continues into May. But they are not overnight superstars, they are still the same players, just with a hugely improved coaching staff.

Switching the system is not a repudiation of Siggy's ability to operate through the middle, as he is still doing that. He has been told to defend out wide because he fights for every ball, something only Routledge does. He is continuing to spend the vast majority of his time located centrally when we are in possession, and that is when we look best in attack.

Cork and Fer have performed extremely well recently and this is to be appreciated and applauded. But the system PC has set them up in and the clear, strict guidelines they are clearly playing under has provided us with the organization we have been lacking without a true leader in the backline.

The way we are playing now is extremely similar to how Atletico play under Simeone. PC is very familiar with his work, having prepared Bayern and Real's tactics countless times recently to deal with it, and it is honestly astounding how much of an impact he (and Claude, I would assume) have had on our shape and instilling a battling mentality.

Quote from the Mawson interview:

"We've come on in leaps and bounds with the gaffer and everything's looking up. Training has got so much more intense but in the right way. He's reinstalled the basics, which we needed. He shows us clips of Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid and how they work so hard. If one player goes into press and gets beaten, there's someone else to back him up and then another. If you see those clubs doing that, then there's no excuse not to do it."

Another in reference to Siggy:

"Every ball is spot on. Gylfi's like an angel for us at the moment. He just does things that you don't expect. Even when we weren't playing as well as we are now, he'd still come up with an assist or a goal. He'll always be involved in something - and that's not luck."

So great to hear there are people at the club who know a thing or two about football and quality, and aren't listening to some of the more prominent posters on here. Long may it continue and Jenkins out.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2017 21:17]
If we are men on here today... on 21:35 - Feb 10 with 811 viewsOldjack

If we are men on here today... on 21:14 - Feb 10 by Nirvana

"We've come on in leaps and bounds with the gaffer and everything's looking up. Training has got so much more intense but in the right way. He's reinstalled the basics, which we needed. He shows us clips of Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid and how they work so hard. If one player goes into press and gets beaten, there's someone else to back him up and then another. If you see those clubs doing that, then there's no excuse not to do it."

"Every ball is spot on. Gylfi's like an angel for us at the moment. He just does things that you don't expect. Even when we weren't playing as well as we are now, he'd still come up with an assist or a goal. He'll always be involved in something - and that's not luck."

So great to hear there are people at the club who know a thing or two about football and quality, and aren't listening to some of the more prominent posters on here. Long may it continue and Jenkins out.

All the top teams play that pressing game , along with top players it's deadly but hard graft .Diverpool were doing it for years under Shanks

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

If we are men on here today... on 21:55 - Feb 10 with 787 viewsNirvana

If we are men on here today... on 21:35 - Feb 10 by Oldjack

All the top teams play that pressing game , along with top players it's deadly but hard graft .Diverpool were doing it for years under Shanks

Yes, most of the top teams do employ a high press, which I stated in a previous post, and it has been around for quite awhile.

But the way clubs like Bayern, and, especially Atletico play is far more than just a high press. Much too difficult and tedious to explain each individual situation on a forum, but for source material I would suggest checking out a full Atleti match on the tube or web at some point and maybe you'll begin to see what I mean.

We don't have the same level of overall quality as them and can't pull off some of the stuff they do while in possession. But Clement has done his best to replicate Simeone's system, specifically, in order to highlight our strengths and mask our weaknesses. It has worked and hopefully will continue to do so.
If we are men on here today... on 22:04 - Feb 10 with 761 viewsNirvana

If we are men on here today... on 21:35 - Feb 10 by Oldjack

This is what you're looking for, and Clement coached against Atleti in the second one:

[Post edited 10 Feb 2017 22:07]
If we are men on here today... on 22:21 - Feb 10 with 740 viewsmorningstar

If we are men on here today... on 22:04 - Feb 10 by Nirvana

This is what you're looking for, and Clement coached against Atleti in the second one:

[Post edited 10 Feb 2017 22:07]

He's back!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

If we are men on here today... on 08:15 - Feb 11 with 645 viewsStarsky

If we are men on here today... on 21:14 - Feb 10 by Nirvana

To be honest, I take what footballers say to the press with a pinch of salt.
Remember Taylor and Britton extolling the virtues of Bob Bradley about the training when he first arrived?

It's just the internet, init.

If we are men on here today... on 18:51 - Feb 11 with 589 viewsTheResurrection

If we are men on here today... on 21:55 - Feb 10 by Nirvana

Yes, most of the top teams do employ a high press, which I stated in a previous post, and it has been around for quite awhile.

But the way clubs like Bayern, and, especially Atletico play is far more than just a high press. Much too difficult and tedious to explain each individual situation on a forum, but for source material I would suggest checking out a full Atleti match on the tube or web at some point and maybe you'll begin to see what I mean.

We don't have the same level of overall quality as them and can't pull off some of the stuff they do while in possession. But Clement has done his best to replicate Simeone's system, specifically, in order to highlight our strengths and mask our weaknesses. It has worked and hopefully will continue to do so.

Too difficult for a pompous cretin like you to explain. Yeah, you're right.

And haha by fook.... You called them Atleti

As cringe worthy as you saying you won't be posting again

If we are men on here today... on 18:56 - Feb 11 with 581 viewsTheResurrection

If we are men on here today... on 08:15 - Feb 11 by Starsky

To be honest, I take what footballers say to the press with a pinch of salt.
Remember Taylor and Britton extolling the virtues of Bob Bradley about the training when he first arrived?

If you're going to look to try and win arguments by quotes from footballers then you're really scraping the barrel.

Anyway, it looks as if we're stuck with this particular guru. He'll be working for Barthelona (sic) soon

If we are men on here today... on 19:00 - Feb 11 with 566 viewsTheResurrection

Atleti spaghetti said...

""""My book is finished and you can say whatever you want to me or about me but it won't get a response"""""

Hee hee.... If only eh....

If we are men on here today... on 19:00 - Feb 11 with 558 viewsItchySphincter

If we are men on here today... on 18:51 - Feb 11 by TheResurrection

Too difficult for a pompous cretin like you to explain. Yeah, you're right.

And haha by fook.... You called them Atleti

As cringe worthy as you saying you won't be posting again

Did he say he wouldn't post again? Thank f*ck for that.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

If we are men on here today... on 19:01 - Feb 11 with 556 viewsjack247

If we are men on here today... on 18:56 - Feb 11 by TheResurrection

If you're going to look to try and win arguments by quotes from footballers then you're really scraping the barrel.

Anyway, it looks as if we're stuck with this particular guru. He'll be working for Barthelona (sic) soon

The more people who can break down a game analytically the better as far as I'm concerned, whether I agree with their points or not. I quite often read your posts and see something that hadn't occurred to me during the game. Same with Nirvana. Arent too many like that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024