Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury 16:09 - Aug 5 with 5316 viewsdavman

https://www.football.london/championship/bristol-city-contact-qpr-fulham-1670290

About bloody time too. Excellent call by Lee Johnson - it is the referees responsibility to manage injuries.

That's one path to time wasting cut off...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 23:40 - Aug 5 with 1047 viewsbosh67

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 16:57 - Aug 5 by Northernr

I do not know what football's aversion is to letting the physio come on while play continues. Happens absolutely no problem at all in rugby, and if it's a serious problem the physio signals that play needs to be stopped.

This rule is a mess at the moment. You're asking a referee to make a judgement call on the run what is serious and what is not - and he's not a medical professional. Players are supposed to go off for treatment, instead they're treated on the pitch and then go through this nonsense procedure of walking off to come straight back on again.

It's all flagrantly abused for time wasting, and some referees are much more likely to stop the play than others. Whole thing is a mess that needs a complete overhaul.

I remember Matthew Rose being carried onto the pitch on a stretcher at the start of most games so they didn't have to stop play for him.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 01:55 - Aug 6 with 988 viewstimcocking

Brilliant.

If you're injured, you don't need treatment, you need to fcuk off. What treatment can a physio give? I never saw a player need a physio in three decades playing. Are you injured? If yes, go off.
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 07:08 - Aug 6 with 940 viewsdistortR

How about players who halt play being assessed by a neutral referee?

If it's found they went down for no good reason, they could donate that weeks wages to a charity of my choice.

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 11:28 - Aug 6 with 856 viewsPinnerPaul

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 20:44 - Aug 5 by daveB

referees should be able to work out when a player might be injured and when they are taking the piss

from maybe 50 yards away while still trying to watch the game, which is often going away from the player on the ground?
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 11:40 - Aug 6 with 843 viewsquickpassrotter

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 16:57 - Aug 5 by Northernr

I do not know what football's aversion is to letting the physio come on while play continues. Happens absolutely no problem at all in rugby, and if it's a serious problem the physio signals that play needs to be stopped.

This rule is a mess at the moment. You're asking a referee to make a judgement call on the run what is serious and what is not - and he's not a medical professional. Players are supposed to go off for treatment, instead they're treated on the pitch and then go through this nonsense procedure of walking off to come straight back on again.

It's all flagrantly abused for time wasting, and some referees are much more likely to stop the play than others. Whole thing is a mess that needs a complete overhaul.

Couldn't agree more Clive....and we see incidents created - like the home game to Swansea last season, when Rangel decided to take the law into his own hands when Bright (I think it was him) went down and Swansea played on for an eternity and the referee just didn't know what to do.
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 11:41 - Aug 6 with 840 viewsdaveB

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 11:28 - Aug 6 by PinnerPaul

from maybe 50 yards away while still trying to watch the game, which is often going away from the player on the ground?

how often is a ref 50 yards away from an injury, it would likely be close to him as he is following the action.

if it's the other side of the pitch and player just goes down he has an assistant to alert him

I like what Bristol City are trying to do but won't work if they are the only ones to do it
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 12:21 - Aug 6 with 816 viewsstowmarketrange

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 11:40 - Aug 6 by quickpassrotter

Couldn't agree more Clive....and we see incidents created - like the home game to Swansea last season, when Rangel decided to take the law into his own hands when Bright (I think it was him) went down and Swansea played on for an eternity and the referee just didn't know what to do.

I think that was more frustration because the ref didn’t give a foul for the tackle on Bright,and also that Swansea played on too.
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 12:41 - Aug 6 with 785 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 17:28 - Aug 5 by terryb

Are you seriously sugesting that the game shouldn't be stopped for a broken leg etc?

Of course a lot of the time players going to ground doesn't warrant stopping the game, but it is more than head injuries that does require a break in play.

In do agree with Northern though that it is a nightmare for the referee!

Yes, if it's Stuart Pearce!

In all seriousness, broken legs tend to result in a stop in play because (a) the injury is graphic, (b) the tackle that caused it robust and (c) on the whole players will stop for a fellow professional with such an obviously serious injury.

The rule was brought in for head injuries as symptoms are less obvious and sometimes delayed. The problem is those players abusing this rule to gain an advantage for their team.

I do think it's a bit unreasonable of Lee to put the responsibility on referees as they are not qualified medical practitioners and have enough to deal with. Moreover, a referee assessment would require a break in play which would defeat the objective and encourage cheaters to continue abusing the rule.

That said, hopefully Lee has started a conversation that is long overdue and needs to be tackled by the authorities. The physio could enter the pitch as Clive suggested or the VAR team could monitor challenges and advise the referee accordingly.
Login to get fewer ads

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 13:08 - Aug 6 with 765 viewsDannyPaddox

The idea of stopping the clock for every stoppage appeals to me. Though it would still be possible for a team to fake injury to interrupt the rhythm of the play it would almost certainly eliminate the levels of time wasting we see now. However I remember reading a report, or a study, the Daily Mail did of a Division One game in the mid 70s and they found that the amount of time the ball is actually in open play is shockingly little. I can’t remember exactly but it was something around the hour mark. I’ve never read of anyone doing a similar study.

Therefore approximately we only watch 60% of a football match. So if a strict ‘stop the clock’ rule was introduced we’d see more football. The questions are what impact would this longer game have on the tactics and quality of the football? Would evening kick-off times be brought forward? How much would the cost of putting the match on for the club increase? - more floodlight usage and staffing costs etc. Just a thought.
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 13:08 - Aug 6 with 759 viewsPinnerPaul

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 11:41 - Aug 6 by daveB

how often is a ref 50 yards away from an injury, it would likely be close to him as he is following the action.

if it's the other side of the pitch and player just goes down he has an assistant to alert him

I like what Bristol City are trying to do but won't work if they are the only ones to do it

but the ball is away , so he has a couple of seconds to assess if the player is 'seriously injured'?

AR theory OK if it happens to be on his side of the pitch close to him. Even then he has to stay with 2nd last defender watching for offside.

To say referees can decide with any degree of certainty if a player is seriously injured is a nonsense.
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 13:25 - Aug 6 with 741 viewsstowmarketrange

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 13:08 - Aug 6 by PinnerPaul

but the ball is away , so he has a couple of seconds to assess if the player is 'seriously injured'?

AR theory OK if it happens to be on his side of the pitch close to him. Even then he has to stay with 2nd last defender watching for offside.

To say referees can decide with any degree of certainty if a player is seriously injured is a nonsense.

So how do we cut down the amount of deliberate cheating of players from winning teams faking injuries to waste time?
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 13:25 - Aug 6 with 739 viewsdaveB

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 13:08 - Aug 6 by PinnerPaul

it's not that hard, you can usually tell from the stands if he's faking or not
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 13:32 - Aug 6 with 731 viewsPinnerPaul

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 13:25 - Aug 6 by daveB

If you say so.

If I ever need 'assessing' I'd like my paramedic to be a bit closer and spend a tad longer than the average fan or referee!

Even if you're correct, which evidently I don't think you are, and the referee HAS decided that the player is not seriously injured, you still get his team mates and the fans screaming for the ball to be put out of play - what is ref supposed to do then?
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 13:34 - Aug 6 with 734 viewsstowmarketrange

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 13:25 - Aug 6 by daveB

And how much extra harm can come from playing on for an extra minute while they roll around on the ground holding their leg?If they are not moving or unconscious,then stop the game immediately for treatment.
We are all getting sick of players cheating fans by faking injuries during games in order to waste time whenever they like.
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 13:36 - Aug 6 with 731 viewsstowmarketrange

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 13:32 - Aug 6 by PinnerPaul

If you say so.

If I ever need 'assessing' I'd like my paramedic to be a bit closer and spend a tad longer than the average fan or referee!

Even if you're correct, which evidently I don't think you are, and the referee HAS decided that the player is not seriously injured, you still get his team mates and the fans screaming for the ball to be put out of play - what is ref supposed to do then?

Let them play the ball out then.Why should a team chasing the game have to do it?
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 13:36 - Aug 6 with 725 viewsPinnerPaul

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 13:34 - Aug 6 by stowmarketrange

And how much extra harm can come from playing on for an extra minute while they roll around on the ground holding their leg?If they are not moving or unconscious,then stop the game immediately for treatment.
We are all getting sick of players cheating fans by faking injuries during games in order to waste time whenever they like.

I agree its become farcical and of course, this only occurs after a challenge that the referee hasn't even deemed to be a foul!

Of course, as I say to players all the time, just because someone has got hurt, doesn't mean there has been an offence but you get the point...……...
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 14:24 - Aug 6 with 700 viewsdaveB

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 13:32 - Aug 6 by PinnerPaul

If you say so.

it's not a life or death thing though he's been kicked in the leg so most professional referees should be able to make a judgement call on it. When a team are 1-0 up with 5 minutes left and a player goes down rolling on the floor you are probably safe to assume he's taking the piss, if not then he gets treatment a minute or so later.

I agree with Clive just let the medical team come on and carry on playing
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 14:49 - Aug 6 with 692 viewsMatch82

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 23:11 - Aug 5 by actonman

Big clock thing , most grounds have them , play stops - clock stops
90 mins is 90 mins , Preston can lay on the floor as many times as they like

Simple

We'd be there till 6! I think I read somewhere that the ball spends more than 20 minutes out of play each game

Edit: I was well short, apparently it's nearly half the time!
Premier League: Is time-wasting leaving fans short-changed? - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40993250
[Post edited 6 Aug 2019 14:51]
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 15:02 - Aug 6 with 674 viewsClive_Anderson

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 14:49 - Aug 6 by Match82

We'd be there till 6! I think I read somewhere that the ball spends more than 20 minutes out of play each game

Premier League: Is time-wasting leaving fans short-changed? - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40993250

Could make the game 70 minutes then.

Better have a shorter time everyone plays rather a random length of game dependent on how much time the teams feel like wasting.
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 15:10 - Aug 6 with 658 viewsPinnerPaul

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 14:24 - Aug 6 by daveB

it's not a life or death thing though he's been kicked in the leg so most professional referees should be able to make a judgement call on it. When a team are 1-0 up with 5 minutes left and a player goes down rolling on the floor you are probably safe to assume he's taking the piss, if not then he gets treatment a minute or so later.

I agree with Clive just let the medical team come on and carry on playing

I agree with that last bit. Obviously play would still need to be stopped if the ball came near, but it would cut a lot of the nonsense out.
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 15:12 - Aug 6 with 653 viewstoboboly

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 15:02 - Aug 6 by Clive_Anderson

Could make the game 70 minutes then.

Better have a shorter time everyone plays rather a random length of game dependent on how much time the teams feel like wasting.

Or keep it at 90 mins and make them play 90 mins, play acting will soon stop if there is no reward and game times would quicken up, you would see more goals, more action etc as the ball will be in play far longer.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 15:26 - Aug 6 with 635 viewsBoston

If you have to go off the field you should stay off for five mins. If there’s not five mins left in the match then it should carry over to the next game you start.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 15:28 - Aug 6 with 631 viewsactonman

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 14:49 - Aug 6 by Match82

Works in rugby ( I think ) albeit 80 mins
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 15:36 - Aug 6 with 616 viewsPinnerPaul

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 15:28 - Aug 6 by actonman

Works in rugby ( I think ) albeit 80 mins

they don't stop the clock EVERY time the ball goes out of play either.
Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 15:39 - Aug 6 with 611 viewsDannyPaddox

Bristol City won't kick ball out for injury on 15:26 - Aug 6 by Boston

If you have to go off the field you should stay off for five mins. If there’s not five mins left in the match then it should carry over to the next game you start.

Joel Lynch has been doing this for years to the point where he consolidates all his off-field minutes into Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024