Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Red cards for denying a clear goal scoring chance 09:00 - Feb 20 with 2489 viewstooting_hoop

Always seems too much to me. And cheats the fans in my opinion.

Last night's Arsenal game was a good example. A great game ruined as a competitive spectacle by the sending off.

I'd much rather just have a penalty and a yellow. With one addition, if a clear goal scoring opportunity is denied outside the box I would still give a penalty for that.

I think that would address the issue much better.

What do you think?

Follow me on Twitter @tootinghoop

Red cards for denying a clear goal scoring chance on 09:03 - Feb 20 with 2482 viewsJeff

The argument is that a penalty *is* a clear goal scoring opportunity, therefore the opportunity has not been denied, and the red card is therefore unnecessary.

i'm happy with that idea. you can't start awarding penalties for things that happened outside the box though...

Can we not knock it?

Red cards for denying a clear goal scoring chance on 09:09 - Feb 20 with 2472 viewsBasingstokeR

In the kind of situation that happened in last nights Arsenal game, like the pundits they had on said, I'd agree as the foul didn't look cynical or excessive.
Red cards for denying a clear goal scoring chance on 09:09 - Feb 20 with 2472 viewsToast_R

If your a Bayern fan or a Barcelona fan, it's a penalty and a red all day every day or in our case, it's a Chelsea defendfer leaving...

I agree though, it does ruin the spectacle for a nuetral but then the simple solution is, don't bring the attacker down. Better to concede 1 goal and have 11 men on the pitch then face conceeding a probable goal and having a man less for the rest of the match.
Red cards for denying a clear goal scoring chance on 09:57 - Feb 20 with 2424 viewsTHEBUSH

Perhaps it's better to do something similar to Rugby and have a, 15 minute sin bin, rather than sending off for the whole game.
Red cards for denying a clear goal scoring chance on 10:01 - Feb 20 with 2416 viewswestberksr

the difficulty for me is that the game is loaded in the favour of the attacking side.

a goalkeeper or CB makes a genuine attempt to get the ball but gets sent off. a forward deliberately handballs or takes out a centre back and 'maybe' gets a yellow, whereas the other way around it's a straight red and penalty.

why not just award a goal; Arsenal would have taken that to remain at 11 a side and have a chance.

having played CB for nearly 40 years I just get pissed off that the whole set of rules favour the attacking players (who are nearly all cheating, diving, hanballing little shites - not that i'm bitter or anything!)
Red cards for denying a clear goal scoring chance on 10:08 - Feb 20 with 2407 viewsRblockPrior

totally agree a penalty is enough punishment

Poll: Of the 3 linked away, who do you think will still be a QPR player come February?

Red cards for denying a clear goal scoring chance on 10:42 - Feb 20 with 2360 viewsJuzzie

And if the penalty is missed/saved, what advantage is that to the team that's been infringed upon?

At least if the opposition is down to 10 men, there's a better to chance to try and score again.
Red cards for denying a clear goal scoring chance on 10:44 - Feb 20 with 2353 viewseasthertsr

What about awarding a penalty goal if a player commits a 'professional' foul? That would stop them even trying to bring someone down! No penalties or sendings off!
Login to get fewer ads

Red cards for denying a clear goal scoring chance on 10:48 - Feb 20 with 2336 viewssuperstan

Give teams an option, ie player stays on but award a goal by default, or player goes off and opposition get a penalty, as never a given they will score.
Red cards for denying a clear goal scoring chance on 10:49 - Feb 20 with 2335 viewsJuzzie

Red cards for denying a clear goal scoring chance on 10:44 - Feb 20 by easthertsr

What about awarding a penalty goal if a player commits a 'professional' foul? That would stop them even trying to bring someone down! No penalties or sendings off!

Risky. Althgough rare I have seen players go clean through and miss, hit the woodwork or the goalie pulls off a miraculous save.
Red cards for denying a clear goal scoring chance on 11:04 - Feb 20 with 2308 viewscoolranger

If you think about it the offending team is actually penalised in 4 ways - using last night's example ;

1. Penalty to Bayern which 80 per cent of the time is scored
2. Sending off of offending player = down to ten men
3. 'point 2' forces the offending team to bring on reserve goalkeeper and sacrifice an outfielder, Cazorla in this case
4. Sczecny now has a 3 game ban to his name and therefore is unavailable for Munich tie

The match is ruined as a spectacle for fans, and at the elite level a ten man side is very very unlikely to get a positive result when playing for an hour at that disadvantage. Fans have paid £130 in some cases to watch a mismatch.

I would say the time has come for the introduction of a 'sin bin' within football (as they have in ice hockey and rugby), effectively giving one side a 15 minute period of numerical dominance. The sin bin would apply for 'certain offences', but RED card option remains for extreme cases or two YELLOWS.
Red cards for denying a clear goal scoring chance on 11:05 - Feb 20 with 2302 viewsClive_Anderson

Red cards for denying a clear goal scoring chance on 09:03 - Feb 20 by Jeff

The argument is that a penalty *is* a clear goal scoring opportunity, therefore the opportunity has not been denied, and the red card is therefore unnecessary.

i'm happy with that idea. you can't start awarding penalties for things that happened outside the box though...

Been saying this for years, how can giving away a penalty be "denying a clear goalscoring opportunity"?

Don't want penalty goals though, the ball has got to go in the net for a goal. How lame would it be to see "goal" appear on the big screen after two minutes. That stuff should only happen in rugby.

I think penalties for professional fouls outside the box might work though.
Red cards for denying a clear goal scoring chance on 11:22 - Feb 20 with 2286 viewsTheBlob

Red cards for denying a clear goal scoring chance on 11:05 - Feb 20 by Clive_Anderson

Been saying this for years, how can giving away a penalty be "denying a clear goalscoring opportunity"?

Don't want penalty goals though, the ball has got to go in the net for a goal. How lame would it be to see "goal" appear on the big screen after two minutes. That stuff should only happen in rugby.

I think penalties for professional fouls outside the box might work though.

Why not as the Yanks used to do......one on one with the goalkeeper from the halfway line?

Ooer.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024