Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) 16:44 - Feb 22 with 11821 viewssaxbend

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 18:00 - Feb 22 with 9095 viewssmegma

"WHY do you paint your nails like a f-cking girl ? "
Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 18:12 - Feb 22 with 9070 viewsactonman

that looked like some sort of Jeremy Kyle show / zombie apocalypse footage . Could do with subtitles next time
Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 18:21 - Feb 22 with 9022 viewssaxbend

Haha. Well if you lot need subtitles, theere won't be much hope held out for the yanks to whom I linked this.
Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 19:19 - Feb 22 with 8893 viewsNoDiddley

Don't mind a bit of banter with away fans, but got to say I can't stand these c**ts.
Went there on the infamous 'town full of bombers day' & vowed never to return.
I don't know how you do it.
Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 22:42 - Feb 22 with 8597 viewsPeterHucker

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 09:03 - Feb 23 with 8396 viewssaxbend

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 19:19 - Feb 22 by NoDiddley

Don't mind a bit of banter with away fans, but got to say I can't stand these c**ts.
Went there on the infamous 'town full of bombers day' & vowed never to return.
I don't know how you do it.

In fairness that was almost ten years ago. I'm sure we've all got some big regrets over the past tem years. It's not as if they keep doing stuff like that the way Chelsea fans seem to do.
Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 09:17 - Feb 23 with 8375 viewsJAPRANGERS

Don't you get fed up by now with all the comments etc you get at away matches?? Or do you just tell yourself it goes with the territory?? Anyway all the best!
Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 09:26 - Feb 23 with 8367 viewsWilloW4

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 18:00 - Feb 22 by smegma

"WHY do you paint your nails like a f-cking girl ? "

Embarrassing video I think. You seem to enjoy the attention sax bend...fair enough if that's your thing but it just comes across as a piss take all round.
Login to get fewer ads

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 10:06 - Feb 23 with 8324 viewssaxbend

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 09:17 - Feb 23 by JAPRANGERS

Don't you get fed up by now with all the comments etc you get at away matches?? Or do you just tell yourself it goes with the territory?? Anyway all the best!

Nail on head. It is a part of being different that you have to accept. The only way people are going to know the answers to the same questions is if you tell them. I'm not apologetic or sheepish about what I do, and I don't feel I have to "stand up for myself" in that I don't feel intimidated. But I am singled out for a very obvious and acceptable reason - I'm doing something that most people just don't expect to see, so they want to know about it and as long as they're not hostile about it, I'm perfectly happy to be as enlightening as necessary.

I learnt quite a while ago that before it can be seen to be at all ordinary or unremarkable to anyone else I have to see it as perfectly normal myself - which by now it is as I've been doing it long enough, and as I've been answering the same questions for so long and getting a lot of practice in, I can carry myself as someone doing something that appears completely normal which is the only way it's ever going to come across as such to anyone else. That doesn't guarantee it will, but at least it means I'm not holding a flashing neon sign saying "vulnerable prey here, come and get me!".
Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 10:07 - Feb 23 with 8317 viewssimmo

Why paint your nails though? That's not you just walking with bare feet, that's you actively drawing attention to the fact you go barefoot.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 10:12 - Feb 23 with 8313 viewssaxbend

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 09:26 - Feb 23 by WilloW4

Embarrassing video I think. You seem to enjoy the attention sax bend...fair enough if that's your thing but it just comes across as a piss take all round.

Yes, of course it's a piss take. And yes, I do enjoy it. The alternative is to feel sorry for yourself for being picked on, whinge about the lack of social justice for people who don't want to wear shoes, or put a pair of trainers on, none of which appeals to me. :)

I started doing these videos with a couple of aims in mind. One was to increase the visibility of what I do so fewer people are surprised by it in future. The other is to link any attention drawn to the charity walks I'm doing (starting another one tomorrow - http://www.justgiving.com/saxbend2015 )

As I said in reply to JAPRANGER if you're going to be that different from everyone else you have to accept that attention comes with it, and you don't get to control how much or what kind. So instead I just manage it and try and make it work in my favour. I can handle having the piss taken out of me, and I like to take the piss out of other people as well. If anyone crosses a line I can stop feeding them and walk away. Sometimes that means some people think I'm short with them. The rest of the time I'll humour them because it's very much in my interest to leave the impression that for a weirdo who doesn't wear shoes, at least I can take a joke, so the next person like me they encounter is more likely to induce a goodnatured approach from them than a hostile one.
Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 10:16 - Feb 23 with 8300 viewssaxbend

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 10:07 - Feb 23 by simmo

Why paint your nails though? That's not you just walking with bare feet, that's you actively drawing attention to the fact you go barefoot.

Well I did it for Wembley initially as an obvious variant of facepaints, hats, etc. I then realised that by drawing attention, as you say, that it demonstrates I'm barefoot by choice, not just out of laziness or because I escaped from somewhere in a hurry.

Other people get tattoos or dye their hair. I'm already doing something unusual so it really doesn't extend it much further in the weirdness direction to add a bit of colour, and as I said on the video it gives it a more deliberate look. Plus, it's Rangers. Blue and White. What's not to like? ;)
Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 11:46 - Feb 23 with 8210 viewshopphoops

I'm always impressed by the lucidity of your answers Saxbend, fair play to you. However I'm guessing if you weren't up for the reaction you'd grin and bear wearing shoes.

They should make shoes without soles for secret barefooters, or those who want to play cricket.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 11:56 - Feb 23 with 8196 viewssaxbend

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 11:46 - Feb 23 by hopphoops

I'm always impressed by the lucidity of your answers Saxbend, fair play to you. However I'm guessing if you weren't up for the reaction you'd grin and bear wearing shoes.

They should make shoes without soles for secret barefooters, or those who want to play cricket.

Actually they do make them. They're quite popular in North America where rather than simple pisstaking, you can expect to be told arrogantly and forthrightly what you can and can't do by every man woman and child.

I wouldn't go for that myself because I think it sends out the message that you don't believe you're supposed to be barefoot yourself, and if you don't believe it yourself then it's silly to expect anyone else to go along with the idea. But I can sympathise with people who really don't like being hassled.
Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 12:16 - Feb 23 with 8168 viewsRangersw12

Attention whore and an embarrassment
Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 12:26 - Feb 23 with 8134 viewsQPunkR

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 12:16 - Feb 23 by Rangersw12

The Barton thread is thataway

QPR - "shit but local"

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 12:33 - Feb 23 with 8111 viewsJonDoeman

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 12:16 - Feb 23 by Rangersw12

Bit harsh that. Ben ain't doing no harm with his eccentricity. He's a good R.

It Is What It Is !!

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 12:45 - Feb 23 with 8087 viewskensalriser

Stand down QPR1882, you've just been subbed.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 13:09 - Feb 23 with 8048 viewssaxbend

As I say, I'm going to get the attention whether I like it or not, so I may as well apply it to something positive. And no, I'm not embarrassed. The whole point is to normalise it as much as possible.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2015 13:09]
Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 13:27 - Feb 23 with 8013 viewspaesanu

Excuse my ignorance saxbend, do you walk around barefoot and painted nails just because it's your particular quirk, or is it for charity.

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 13:28 - Feb 23 with 8013 viewsMytch_QPR

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 13:09 - Feb 23 by saxbend

As I say, I'm going to get the attention whether I like it or not, so I may as well apply it to something positive. And no, I'm not embarrassed. The whole point is to normalise it as much as possible.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2015 13:09]

Keep doing what you're doing, Ben. Narrow minded people always tend to pick on people who are a bit 'different'. With all the issues over racism in recent days, it's amazing to think we can have a row with each other over bare feet (I'm not saying you have started a row, btw).

Just been reading 'Born To Run' - an interesting book about barefoot running. There's every chance that you are right and the rest of us are all getting it wrong.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 13:35 - Feb 23 with 7994 viewssaxbend

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 13:27 - Feb 23 by paesanu

Excuse my ignorance saxbend, do you walk around barefoot and painted nails just because it's your particular quirk, or is it for charity.

Both. I do it anyway, but since I do I find it useful to help promote what I do for charity. The nails were initially going to be just for the Wembley walk, but I since realised that they added something to my appearance that I liked, particularly a way of showing that I'm barefoot by choice and not afraid of the attention it brings.
Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 13:41 - Feb 23 with 7979 viewspomanjou

Saxbend. Do you model yourself in some way on Alf Tupper? Are you Alf Tupper ++?

Even Alf wore running spikes.............

Alf Tupper was 18 years of age when he first appeared in Rover in 1949 and he continued his adventures in Victor in the early 1960s. He lived with his Aunt Meg in Anchor Alley, Greystone. The house had one room upstairs and one room downstairs; Alf's bed was a mattress on the kitchen floor. He was employed as a welder working in Ike Smith's welding shop which was located under a railway arch, his wages were £1 5s (£1.25p) per week of which he paid his Aunt £1.2s.6d (£1.12½p) for rent. This meant he had 2/6d (12½p) for himself. Following a bust up with his Aunt Meg, he moved into Ike Smith's welding shop, sleeping on a mattress by his workbench. Alf joined the Greystone Harriers paying a subscription fee of half a guinea; he was only a member of the Harriers for three weeks and was instructed to return his membership card by Bob Richards the Honorary Secretary, following an ontrack fight with Vic Mason in the 440 yards at the Greystone Harriers Sports meeting. Alf's staple diet was fish and chips wrapped in newspaper.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2015 13:42]

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 13:44 - Feb 23 with 7974 viewspaesanu

Fair play. And worth mentioning that on your charity page there's been a donation by a Hull fan after he saw your video clip.

a) he's a brilliant representative of Hull
b) you've raised money for a worthy cause

Based on that, anyone who has a go at you should really take a long look in the mirror first. Well done to you!

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Some of those Hull fans are really good value :) on 16:15 - Feb 23 with 7885 viewssmegma

Agreed. And anyone who carries an iPad everywhere is sad.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024