Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hello, I Must Be Going! 12:25 - Oct 29 with 4573 viewsexiled_dictator

just read that phil collins is coming out of retirement.
this came as somewhat of a surprise to me, as i was convinced that he was dead.
apparently not ....
and to fund yet another failed marriage, he has decided to come out of retirement, record a new album, tour and sell some merchandise.
now the idea of a musician retiring is odd to me; like a professional racing driver, the ones that make it are born to perform; it's in their blood. so just stopping seems an odd choice. i get that they want to spend more time with their family (politicians say the same when they are 'outed' or convicted of having sex with a minor), but i think it's more to do with the number of downloads they get, or downsizing the venues they can sell out. yes, i remember when every song seemed to have him on the drums, and he was at every aid concert going, but that was last century. he should have taken up a hobby like fishing or staying married to the same woman long enough that she doesn't skin 50%.
waiting for details of the royal albert hall concert with steve winwood, eric clapton, tina turner, jason bonham and howard jones.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 12:30 - Oct 29 with 3972 viewsFredManRave

Well that was against all odds. There must be something in the air tonight.

No coat required.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 12:33 - Oct 29 with 3964 viewsBrightonhoop

Anyone got a missile launching drone available? I fcking hate that knut.

'So, how long have been a lifelong Spurs supporter then, Phil?'

'Oh, about 5 years now...'

Fcking weapon. Grrrr.
Hello, I Must Be Going! on 12:37 - Oct 29 with 3943 viewsjohncharles

Another ludicrously overrated drummer

Strong and stable my arse.

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 12:43 - Oct 29 with 3926 viewslondonscottish

Bollx. I now have the echoing drums from In The Air Tonight on a loop in my head.

How can one man hate one song so much?

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 13:45 - Oct 29 with 3850 viewsBklynRanger

The one thing he has going for him here is his looks. For a lot of people when you see them come out of the shadows a few years later you think "What the fcuk happened to him?", but Phil Collins looked like a scruffy bag of shyte even at the height of his stadium powers.
Hello, I Must Be Going! on 13:52 - Oct 29 with 3838 viewsTheBlob

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 13:45 - Oct 29 by BklynRanger

The one thing he has going for him here is his looks. For a lot of people when you see them come out of the shadows a few years later you think "What the fcuk happened to him?", but Phil Collins looked like a scruffy bag of shyte even at the height of his stadium powers.

He used to have long hair when he came down the rehearsal studios with Genesis.Nice bloke then,but the music got so repetitive we all buggered off to the pub across the road.

May god have mercy on your bowels.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 13:58 - Oct 29 with 3820 viewsFredManRave

The musical criticism is understandable but lest we misremember that he's also a very good actor. He was excellent in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 14:01 - Oct 29 with 3810 viewsBrightonhoop

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 13:58 - Oct 29 by FredManRave

The musical criticism is understandable but lest we misremember that he's also a very good actor. He was excellent in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Long good Friday too.

Que?
Login to get fewer ads

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 14:20 - Oct 29 with 3781 views18StoneOfHoop

I hate him as much as the next reasonable enlightened person what with his middle-of-the-road snorey dreary anthems for people who don't really like music much... e.g. tax inspectors,middle management and estate agents ..and his horrendous disgusting DJ Dave 'Kid' Jensen style fan turncoatery.

BUT HOWEVER m'Lud and gentleman of the jury, I put it to you he is partly responsible for two good things:
(1) one of the best TV adverts ever

and (2) how tut fook did a rough ole tramp like him come up with a daughter like this?
[Post edited 29 Oct 2015 14:27]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 14:42 - Oct 29 with 3747 viewsqprwpg

I must be the only one who likes Phil Collins then, but only because of the early work he did with Genesis, especially selling england by the pound.

Don't care about him coming out of retirement - probably won't listen to anything new he does.

Twitter: @qprwpg

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 14:58 - Oct 29 with 3728 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Musically naive and lacks experience to make a comeback. Clearly its just another job for one of the Spurs' old boy network.

Its all One Direction and he's going to take us all nowhere...and fast.

This is a bullet to be avoided IMHO.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 15:01 - Oct 29 with 3716 viewsBklynRanger

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 14:42 - Oct 29 by qprwpg

I must be the only one who likes Phil Collins then, but only because of the early work he did with Genesis, especially selling england by the pound.

Don't care about him coming out of retirement - probably won't listen to anything new he does.

I always put Selling England By The Pound down to Gabriel far more than Collins wasn't it?

I don't hate him either tbh.
Hello, I Must Be Going! on 15:04 - Oct 29 with 3714 viewsqprwpg

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 15:01 - Oct 29 by BklynRanger

I always put Selling England By The Pound down to Gabriel far more than Collins wasn't it?

I don't hate him either tbh.

Should have been clearer, I meant that the drumming done by Phil on that album and other early Genesis albums was really good. Same when he was with Brand X.

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 15:28 - Oct 29 with 3682 viewsBklynRanger

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 15:04 - Oct 29 by qprwpg

Should have been clearer, I meant that the drumming done by Phil on that album and other early Genesis albums was really good. Same when he was with Brand X.

Fair enough then. Let's just leave this debacle, allow time for our wounds to heal and move on - life's too short.
Hello, I Must Be Going! on 15:40 - Oct 29 with 3667 viewsqprwpg

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 15:28 - Oct 29 by BklynRanger

Fair enough then. Let's just leave this debacle, allow time for our wounds to heal and move on - life's too short.

Agreed.

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 15:45 - Oct 29 with 3659 viewsexiled_dictator

come to think of it, actually he does the drums on one of my fave ec songs, hold on

and i'm still not convinced that he's not dead and that it's his twin brother reg going to be impersonating him from now on.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 16:28 - Oct 29 with 3594 viewsQPRMUSO

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 15:04 - Oct 29 by qprwpg

Can't agree with you on the drumming I'm affraid, very average at best. He is a hacker with very poor technique but he earns more than I do what can I say.

I also liked Genesis in the day and bought some Brand X but only for Percy Jones the fretless bass player - nice player indeed! Drummer was the weak link in that band!
Hello, I Must Be Going! on 16:32 - Oct 29 with 3583 viewsTheBlob

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 16:28 - Oct 29 by QPRMUSO

Can't agree with you on the drumming I'm affraid, very average at best. He is a hacker with very poor technique but he earns more than I do what can I say.

I also liked Genesis in the day and bought some Brand X but only for Percy Jones the fretless bass player - nice player indeed! Drummer was the weak link in that band!

Percy Jones was a very poor imitation of Jaco Pastorius.....

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 16:39 - Oct 29 with 3574 viewsMonahoop

I thought he retired because he had some back complaint rendering him even more useless at the drums than he already was. Christ! I hope we don't have to endure more murdering of soul tunes with his whiny vocals. The likes of BBC Radio 2 will no doubt welcome his return with open arms. One place for my ears to avoid I guess.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 17:01 - Oct 29 with 3544 viewseasthertsr

As the earlier poster said anyone who swaps allegiance to another team is by definition a tw@t. To also add to that, some of the crappiest, god-awful music ever recorded makes Mr. Collins a complete ****.
Hello, I Must Be Going! on 17:16 - Oct 29 with 3515 viewsDiscodroids

Do you like Phil Collins?.. I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual.
It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility, At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

Christy, take off your robe.

Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument.

Sabrina, remove your dress.

In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism.

Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little.

Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds.

Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it.

But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

[Post edited 29 Oct 2015 18:43]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 17:37 - Oct 29 with 3485 viewsQPRMUSO

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 16:32 - Oct 29 by TheBlob

Percy Jones was a very poor imitation of Jaco Pastorius.....

I agree with that Blob but not bad. You rarely come across a musician who literally changes the perception of an instrument and jaco certainly did that, he increased the importance of the bass within the band for electric music. My band still plays a couple of his numbers.
Hello, I Must Be Going! on 18:13 - Oct 29 with 3447 viewsenfieldargh

this version is far better

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 18:25 - Oct 29 with 3421 viewsTheBlob

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 17:37 - Oct 29 by QPRMUSO

I agree with that Blob but not bad. You rarely come across a musician who literally changes the perception of an instrument and jaco certainly did that, he increased the importance of the bass within the band for electric music. My band still plays a couple of his numbers.

Perhaps I was exaggerating there Muso,but at the time it was a bit of a standing argument.Music polls (and you know what they're good for )had the pupil above the master.

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 18:26 - Oct 29 with 3417 viewsFDC

Hello, I Must Be Going! on 17:16 - Oct 29 by Discodroids

Do you like Phil Collins?.. I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual.
It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility, At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

Christy, take off your robe.

Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument.

Sabrina, remove your dress.

In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism.

Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little.

Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds.

Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it.

But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

[Post edited 29 Oct 2015 18:43]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024