Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tax 11:38 - Apr 16 with 8352 viewsDeano19766

After all the furore over the non-story of Cameron's tax affairs, it got me thinking. Do people think they pay enough tax to cover what they 'get back' so to speak? Let's look at what we cost the state, or may cost the state -

Midwives and medical/hospital staff when born. I believe this carries on for a few weeks/months afterwards? (someone else can no doubt verify on that point)

Maternity/Paternity leave for your parents and then for you if you have children (again unsure of the exact rules as I don't have children)

Child benefit

Schooling

Health Services throughout life (doctors, hospitals, dentist, etc etc etc)

Pension upon retirement

Some people obviously use other services as well depending on circumstances (job seeking allowance, housing benefit, sickness benefit etc, etc)

I'd say all that potentially adds up to a pretty hefty amount for all of us, with some more than others depending on circumstances.. Do we in fact pay enough tax to cover what we 'take out' or 'get back'? I don't know the answer, I was just pondering it.

The kind of weird shit I think about. Suppose it could be considered philosophical or sociological.........or alternatively the damaging effects of too much booze and gear over the years
[Post edited 16 Apr 2016 11:47]
Tax on 11:44 - Apr 16 with 6017 viewsRSoul

Do any of us, know how much tax we pay? Direct that's easy, but indirect much more complex.
Tax on 11:47 - Apr 16 with 6009 viewsAndyB

Quite a few other services too...
Fire
Police
Refuse collection
Provision and maintenance of road network
Street lighting
And so on....
Tax on 11:47 - Apr 16 with 5998 viewsdanehoop

I would look at this from another view point. Having lived and worked in Denmark taxes there are very high, eye wateringly so for highest earners. But as a consequence public services and infrastructure are excellent. The jantelaw concept where everyone is seen as equal and consensus is seen as a good thing helps. Ultimately though people accept that higher taxes mean better standards of living for wider society.

In the uk by contrast we are obsessed with neo liberal economic theory. This is the idea of small government and low taxes with business and the market know best.

Probably best summed up as what you pay for is what you get.

Never knowingly understood

Tax on 11:48 - Apr 16 with 6002 viewsDeano19766

Tax on 11:47 - Apr 16 by AndyB

Quite a few other services too...
Fire
Police
Refuse collection
Provision and maintenance of road network
Street lighting
And so on....

This is true. Would be interesting to work out what you pay and what you cost over a lifetime. Probably not possible though
Tax on 11:51 - Apr 16 with 5996 viewsTHEBUSH

Don't understand how Cameron trying to fiddle not paying tax is a non story
Tax on 11:57 - Apr 16 with 5972 viewsDeano19766

Tax on 11:51 - Apr 16 by THEBUSH

Perhaps because he wasn't fiddling anything? He was operating within the law. There's a long thread on it on here
[Post edited 16 Apr 2016 12:03]
Tax on 12:04 - Apr 16 with 5948 viewsPunteR

Do we pay enough tax?

Yes.

Don't forget everything we buy, food,clothes alcohol,20% and probably more goes to the tax man. On top of the tax from what we earn.

Every thing gets taxed apart from your gear Deano.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Tax on 12:06 - Apr 16 with 5945 viewsRSoul

When Cameron preaches "We are all in this together".

The hypocrisy is the story
Login to get fewer ads

Tax on 12:07 - Apr 16 with 5939 viewsPommyhoop

Tax on 11:47 - Apr 16 by danehoop

I would look at this from another view point. Having lived and worked in Denmark taxes there are very high, eye wateringly so for highest earners. But as a consequence public services and infrastructure are excellent. The jantelaw concept where everyone is seen as equal and consensus is seen as a good thing helps. Ultimately though people accept that higher taxes mean better standards of living for wider society.

In the uk by contrast we are obsessed with neo liberal economic theory. This is the idea of small government and low taxes with business and the market know best.

Probably best summed up as what you pay for is what you get.

This is why Denmark rather than the UK is the preferred EU state of settlement for those fleeing the horrors of Isis..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Tax on 12:09 - Apr 16 with 5938 viewsTHEBUSH

Tax on 11:57 - Apr 16 by Deano19766

Perhaps because he wasn't fiddling anything? He was operating within the law. There's a long thread on it on here
[Post edited 16 Apr 2016 12:03]

Not true, he tried to hide his Panama dealings by not declaring his Financial Interests, in the 'Register of Members (of Parliament) Financial Interests, that for me is not a non story
Tax on 12:13 - Apr 16 with 5923 viewsRSoul

Tax on 12:09 - Apr 16 by THEBUSH

Not true, he tried to hide his Panama dealings by not declaring his Financial Interests, in the 'Register of Members (of Parliament) Financial Interests, that for me is not a non story

TBF, it is hard to keep up, the story changes every day.
Tax on 12:14 - Apr 16 with 5919 viewsDeano19766

But the rules are the members only have to declare their interest in sums over £70k (and his was less than half of that).
Tax on 12:16 - Apr 16 with 5915 viewsDeano19766

And you did';t say it was a story in the first instance, you said it was a fiddle! Now you've changed tact you scallywag! Still a non-story anyway as it's all within the law.

[Post edited 16 Apr 2016 12:17]
Tax on 12:36 - Apr 16 with 5884 viewsTheBlob

Tax.
"Extract the maximum amount of feathers from the goose with the minimum amount of hissing."

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Tax on 12:59 - Apr 16 with 5858 viewsTHEBUSH

Tax on 12:16 - Apr 16 by Deano19766

And you did';t say it was a story in the first instance, you said it was a fiddle! Now you've changed tact you scallywag! Still a non-story anyway as it's all within the law.

[Post edited 16 Apr 2016 12:17]

Ha ha, whose the scallywag ?

Your post is full of innuendo, but pretty obvious of your intentions
Tax on 13:07 - Apr 16 with 5840 viewsisawqpratwcity

Tax on 11:48 - Apr 16 by Deano19766

This is true. Would be interesting to work out what you pay and what you cost over a lifetime. Probably not possible though

If we all paid the same amount of tax, that would be the fairest thing, wouldn't it?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Tax on 13:15 - Apr 16 with 5824 viewswestberksr

Income tax
NI
VAT
Council Tax
Stamp Duty
Fuel Duty
Booze & Tobacco
Airline duty (not sure of the proper name)
Dividend Tax
Tax on interest (if you are earning any)
Supplementary stamp duty (new 3%)
Insurance premium tax
Capital gains tax
Inheritance tax

I think we probably do. I might have missed some though
Tax on 13:17 - Apr 16 with 5823 viewsTheBlob

"Everybody has to pay taxes...."

Tax on 14:13 - Apr 16 with 5739 viewsLblock

I'd sooner the only Tax in my life were the one's I put the Christmas decorations up with, but unless you're Greek then these are a necessary evil.

I'll say no more than it does my cob in to see every day people milking the system who have put sweet FA into it. So there

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Tax on 14:17 - Apr 16 with 5735 viewsMarc

Tax on 11:51 - Apr 16 by THEBUSH

Deano's a Tory, hence it being a non story.
Tax on 14:40 - Apr 16 with 5701 viewsessextaxiboy

Tax on 14:17 - Apr 16 by Marc

Deano's a Tory, hence it being a non story.

Its a non story . Like the Guardian doing exactly the same thing after selling Autotrader .
Tax on 15:28 - Apr 16 with 5643 viewsderbyhoop

Unless you are unemployed or, otherwise, on benefits, you are effectively in receipt of the proceeds of tax when your are young (being born, childhood illnesses and education) and at the end of your life (pensions and increasing demand on the health service). So from 22-65 you are probably a net contributor.

As an aside, that is why immigration could be considered a positive thing. Most immigrants are well educated, in work and not old enough to be a burden on the state.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Tax on 15:37 - Apr 16 with 5631 viewsnix

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/tax/10638283/How-much-we-give

Not sure if this is quite what you mean but interesting article as in contrast to the impression we often get, of wholesale tax dodging, the top 1% of earners pay a large proportion -30% - of income tax received. People who earn less than £36,000 make no net contribution because they take out, on average, as much as they put in.

So overall it's only the top 40% of income earners by household actually pay in enough to cover the services they receive.
Tax on 15:37 - Apr 16 with 5631 viewsTheBlob

Tax on 15:28 - Apr 16 by derbyhoop

Unless you are unemployed or, otherwise, on benefits, you are effectively in receipt of the proceeds of tax when your are young (being born, childhood illnesses and education) and at the end of your life (pensions and increasing demand on the health service). So from 22-65 you are probably a net contributor.

As an aside, that is why immigration could be considered a positive thing. Most immigrants are well educated, in work and not old enough to be a burden on the state.

Tax on 15:38 - Apr 16 with 5622 viewsessextaxiboy

Tax on 15:28 - Apr 16 by derbyhoop

And are exactly the right age to have lots of children ... some are so efficient they start the process before they even arrive . Still it gives us the maximum time to organise and pay for ante natal care , education , interpreters ... . Etc
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024