Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit 08:38 - Feb 7 with 15843 viewsRanger_Things

IT'S THE STUPID WOT WON IT!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38762034
Brexit on 14:35 - Feb 8 with 2568 viewsCliff

Brexit on 13:06 - Feb 7 by TGRRRSSS

This powerful link to educational attainment could stem from the lower qualified tending to feel less confident about their prospects and ability to compete for work in a competitive globalised economy with high levels of migration."

To me this suggests this country is failing in it's education system and is refusing to fund people to the level required for a "globalised world"

Which it is. Look at the doctors stuff at the moment and no mention of the cost of university and the lack of availability in Medicine just as one example.

However we won't mention that bit - we'll just sat "your thick" you can't manage and we'll blame you.

Sinister times

BTW that's "you're thick" !

PS I voted remain - that's probably why I was able to spot the error
Brexit on 15:23 - Feb 8 with 2475 viewsCliff

Brexit on 16:02 - Feb 7 by essextaxiboy

To hold the Referendum was voted through Parliament with a massive majority .

Some MPS must have voted for that then voted not to trigger the result . I hope they are named and shamed in 2020 .

Or quite possibly, most agreed that this was a decision that should be referred to the people and so a massive majority voted for the referendum.

Then having got the results of the referendum, some MP's noted that their constituents vote to remain, and so voted accordingly in the Article 50 vote.

Note that the referendum was ~ 52% in favour and 42% against, whereas the article 50 vote was 498 to 117 or 81% to 19%. Perhaps they should name and shame any MP that votes against the will of their constituents?
Brexit on 17:14 - Feb 8 with 2423 viewsQPR_John

Brexit on 15:23 - Feb 8 by Cliff

Or quite possibly, most agreed that this was a decision that should be referred to the people and so a massive majority voted for the referendum.

Then having got the results of the referendum, some MP's noted that their constituents vote to remain, and so voted accordingly in the Article 50 vote.

Note that the referendum was ~ 52% in favour and 42% against, whereas the article 50 vote was 498 to 117 or 81% to 19%. Perhaps they should name and shame any MP that votes against the will of their constituents?

I do not understand your point. A referendum is what it is where the constituency is in fact the whole country. Surely it is hypocritical to vote for a referendum and its implication and then use the excuse that you will vote as an MP as your parliamentary constituency voted.

Also the percentage for brexit cannot be equated to the percentage of MPs voting for article 50 for the simple reason constituencies are not all the same size. Have you a figure of how individual constituencies voted
[Post edited 8 Feb 2017 17:24]
Brexit on 17:35 - Feb 8 with 2403 viewsrunningman75

I have a degree and voted remain based on cheap European trips, cheap beer and beautiful Eastern European women working in Cafe Nero and Costa Coffee.
Brexit on 18:07 - Feb 8 with 2374 viewsWestbourneR

Brexit on 17:35 - Feb 8 by runningman75

I have a degree and voted remain based on cheap European trips, cheap beer and beautiful Eastern European women working in Cafe Nero and Costa Coffee.

Great reasons. I think Pret will actually have to close when we leave Europe. I've never seen a British person working there.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2017 18:08]

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Brexit on 18:08 - Feb 8 with 2369 viewsCliff

Brexit on 17:14 - Feb 8 by QPR_John

I do not understand your point. A referendum is what it is where the constituency is in fact the whole country. Surely it is hypocritical to vote for a referendum and its implication and then use the excuse that you will vote as an MP as your parliamentary constituency voted.

Also the percentage for brexit cannot be equated to the percentage of MPs voting for article 50 for the simple reason constituencies are not all the same size. Have you a figure of how individual constituencies voted
[Post edited 8 Feb 2017 17:24]

My point is the vote passed in the house by a majority of 82% whereas the referendum was only 52% so what's the problem?

I merely pointed out that some MP's may have voted in accordance with the majority view of most of their constituents, knowing that it wouldn't affect the overall result anyway.

Democracy doesn't work by the winners getting full control for the term of the government, the opposition still play a role in parliament in trying to make the government accountable if in nothing else. There is no reason to suggest it should be any different in the way we extract ourselves from the EU - yes we voted to go, but all parties have a right to have a say in the terms of the new agreement

PS the constituency breakdown of voting is widely available, here's a good source:
http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/find-information-by-subject/elections-and-
Brexit on 20:15 - Feb 8 with 2310 viewsessextaxiboy

Brexit on 14:27 - Feb 8 by Cliff

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-referendum-nigel-farage-

Nigel Farage is a campaigner (a successful one granted) he is not part of the government or likely to be in a position to decide where any money goes . He spoke for no one except himself , he wasnt even a part of the official leave campaign ...
Brexit on 21:47 - Feb 8 with 2241 viewsQPR_John

Brexit on 18:08 - Feb 8 by Cliff

My point is the vote passed in the house by a majority of 82% whereas the referendum was only 52% so what's the problem?

I merely pointed out that some MP's may have voted in accordance with the majority view of most of their constituents, knowing that it wouldn't affect the overall result anyway.

Democracy doesn't work by the winners getting full control for the term of the government, the opposition still play a role in parliament in trying to make the government accountable if in nothing else. There is no reason to suggest it should be any different in the way we extract ourselves from the EU - yes we voted to go, but all parties have a right to have a say in the terms of the new agreement

PS the constituency breakdown of voting is widely available, here's a good source:
http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/find-information-by-subject/elections-and-

My problem is that you are not comparing like with like. Because constituencies are of different size it would be quite easy to create a situation where the total vote was ~ 52% in favour and 42% against, whereas the constuency representatives vote in favour was 81% to 19% in favour and nobody voted against the result of the constituency vote

Take 5 groups that voted

190 10
190 10
190 10
0 175
0 175

The total vote was 540 380 for or 60% to 40% in favour of whatever
Now it can be seeen clearly that should the representive of two of the groups vote against the wishes of their group, say group 1 and 4 then the vote in favour by the representatives would still be 60-40 although two voted against their constituents. It is simplistic to say anything can be inferred from the comparison alone
[Post edited 8 Feb 2017 21:54]
Login to get fewer ads

Brexit on 07:25 - Feb 9 with 2142 viewsQPR_Jim

Brexit on 21:47 - Feb 8 by QPR_John

My problem is that you are not comparing like with like. Because constituencies are of different size it would be quite easy to create a situation where the total vote was ~ 52% in favour and 42% against, whereas the constuency representatives vote in favour was 81% to 19% in favour and nobody voted against the result of the constituency vote

Take 5 groups that voted

190 10
190 10
190 10
0 175
0 175

Now it can be seeen clearly that should the representive of two of the groups vote against the wishes of their group, say group 1 and 4 then the vote in favour by the representatives would still be 60-40 although two voted against their constituents. It is simplistic to say anything can be inferred from the comparison alone

"52% in favour and 42% against"

Perhaps you should leave the statistics alone after 8pm.

If it's quite easy to create a 81% to 19% vote without anyone voting against their constituency why are leavers wanting to name and shame the 19% as if they've gone against the democratic will when in reality they're just following the decision of the majority that elected them, which is their duty?
Brexit on 12:13 - Feb 9 with 2053 viewsTacticalR

Brexit on 20:15 - Feb 8 by essextaxiboy

Nigel Farage is a campaigner (a successful one granted) he is not part of the government or likely to be in a position to decide where any money goes . He spoke for no one except himself , he wasnt even a part of the official leave campaign ...

Sounds like a very private and retiring individual.

Air hostess clique

Brexit on 13:00 - Feb 9 with 2016 viewsQPR_John

Brexit on 07:25 - Feb 9 by QPR_Jim

"52% in favour and 42% against"

Perhaps you should leave the statistics alone after 8pm.

If it's quite easy to create a 81% to 19% vote without anyone voting against their constituency why are leavers wanting to name and shame the 19% as if they've gone against the democratic will when in reality they're just following the decision of the majority that elected them, which is their duty?

I think that is what I said. The 52 42 was not mine just copied what was printed originally
Brexit on 18:07 - Feb 9 with 1949 viewsPommyhoop

What about digging down to extend HQ ?
Ahh the water table ..My bad.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Brexit on 00:41 - Feb 10 with 1889 viewsFDC

Enough is enough. There's no legroom in this country.
Brexit on 07:05 - Feb 10 with 1846 viewsPunteR

Brexit on 00:41 - Feb 10 by FDC

Enough is enough. There's no legroom in this country.

And the beers too pricey...

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Brexit on 13:08 - Feb 10 with 1784 viewsCliff

Brexit on 20:15 - Feb 8 by essextaxiboy

That doesn't mean he didn't influence the vote ...
Brexit on 13:13 - Feb 10 with 1766 viewsCliff

Brexit on 21:47 - Feb 8 by QPR_John

Take 5 groups that voted

190 10
190 10
190 10
0 175
0 175

You can always come up with figures like yours where results would be worse, but the fact remains that the vote was passed with a much higher majority than was returned in the referendum and yet there still seems to be a bit of a witch hunt against those who voted in line with their constituents wishes.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2017 17:53]
Brexit on 08:16 - Feb 17 with 1620 views2Thomas2Bowles

Would I lie to you Tony Blair to save the day for the remoaners

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38996179

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Brexit on 09:00 - Feb 17 with 1588 views1BobbyHazell

Brexit on 08:16 - Feb 17 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Would I lie to you Tony Blair to save the day for the remoaners

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38996179

Good to see Tone still doing/saying what he's told for his 30 pieces of silver.

Here's a link to the very interesting BBC documentary from last week on the EU by their Europe editor Katya Adler and a short accompanying piece on what she found when travelling around Europe. Pretty clear she thinks the EU, as it stands, won't survive much longer.

"That said, few Europeans are happy with the Union the way it is now. The cry for change is deafening. As is the demand for less bossiness from Brussels. EU power-brokers have a choice: to sink or swim differently, and more in harmony with what the people of Europe want."

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-02-09/bbcs-europe-editor-katya-adler-the-eu-

Brexit on 09:58 - Feb 17 with 1545 viewsRangersDave

Tony needs to feck right off!

I cannot stand those that say we need another vote etc......

No, we voted, and under our voting system, even if we don't like the outcome, the result, (to paraphrase JFH) is the result.

If it went the other way, I would not be wailing and gnashing my teeth, I'd just say "I don't like it, but fair enough".

Now toxic Tone is sticking his beak back into things..... go away and disappear you useless excuse for a past leader!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Brexit on 10:20 - Feb 17 with 1518 viewslondonscottish

Brexit on 09:58 - Feb 17 by RangersDave

Tony needs to feck right off!

I cannot stand those that say we need another vote etc......

No, we voted, and under our voting system, even if we don't like the outcome, the result, (to paraphrase JFH) is the result.

If it went the other way, I would not be wailing and gnashing my teeth, I'd just say "I don't like it, but fair enough".

Now toxic Tone is sticking his beak back into things..... go away and disappear you useless excuse for a past leader!

Agree.

I voted Remain but just want to get on with it now.

And I don't know why people lock horns so much on this topic.

I can see arguments both for and against leaving and just felt at the time that the reasons to stay outweighed the reasons to go - although there were and are good reasons to go.

Let's just get on with working out how to best do it.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024