Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A lovely day out... 21:54 - Feb 18 with 2692 viewscarlosthebulb

Some days everything goes your way. Today was certainly one of them. Seeing all four strikers score and everyone putting a shift in, it seems, fingers crossed that things are slowly turning. Credit to Les and Ollie eh? In spite of a spirited Birmingham display, we managed to get goals at key times and also look a threat overtime we went forward. The key element for this for me was down to the inclusion of Freeman and Smith. I'd wondered where LF would fit in when he was signed in the window but now I can't imagine our starting line-up without him. All this after a game and a half. I've pointed out that in the Huddersfield game, Smith I think won more headers than we've won all season with Sylla & Polter, and his presence today terrified Brum and allowed Washington to roam all over the place and react nicely to Smith's inevitable flick ons. Freeman has such lovely balance and very quick feet and he wasn't afraid to exploit empty space and not waste time in getting a shot away. Luongo take note. Suddenly from corners, we are a major threat - delivery and execution perfect for the first goal. And deserved too, even though it has to be said the home side, on a rare foray early on, missed an absolute sitter that could have changed everything. As I said, it went our way early on and continued even though the Keeper Kuszczak pulled off a couple of great saves to deny Smith and Freeman.

The only criticism I had with how we played first half was leaving ourselves open in midfield, with Manning and Freeman not really designed for putting their foot in once Hall reverted back into defence. This allowed Brum space to play and we rode our luck until half time. A minute after, Washington scores and this wounds home side greatly. They still come at us but our counter-attacking is by now consisting of some real quality, with Woszlek now coming into his own down the right side and Bidwell having some joy pushing forward, albeit with a couple of really poor deliveries when in great positions. The game ebbed and flowed like a cup tie, end to end and I felt Luongo should have been introduced to shore up the middle. That didn't happen surprisingly and Freeman suddenly got a second wind and really stepped up, with one particular mazy dribble down the left hand side really catching the eye.

Smith received a good ovation when he made way for Sylla and it wasn't long before Pawel's run and sublime cross picked him out for a Fulham-style header which sealed the win after 80 odd minutes. And then when it's really going your way, Yeni steps up with a Ronaldo-style free-kick that eludes Kuzcnek with it's power and dip, and flies in off the bar. I did feel he should have saved it, mind.

The standard opposition goal was a little disappointing but by then we didn't care, singing our hearts out and taking numerous photos of the score-board with the emphatic score illuminated in massive style. A fine win, and much needed too, and good support from the Rangers fans. Zola received some treatment from both sets of fans, and players and fans rejoiced at the end, although Lynch looked like he had the right hump as Bircham tried celebrating with him. Quite odd that.

Special mentions to Ned and Furlong, both excellent today, as was the whole side really. The ref was the usual gash and quite how the linesman didn't give us two blatant throw-ins I'll never know.

So all eyes on Tuesday and Wigan, a massive game in which to build on today's success hopefully. I'm quietly confident. Well done Ollie...
A lovely day out... on 21:59 - Feb 18 with 2668 viewsMrSheen

Great report. Luongo is not a defensive midfielder but his energy puts him on the spot when the other team is attacking us, so that's a hard choice that might have to be made. It sounds like Smith might be the key to getting the best out of Washington, whatever the criticisms people might have of his own abilities. Nice to have strength in depth.
A lovely day out... on 22:02 - Feb 18 with 2652 viewsconnell10

Good report cheers mate👍

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

A lovely day out... on 22:26 - Feb 18 with 2565 viewsted_hendrix

Cheers Carlos, hope you're keeping well mate?

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

A lovely day out... on 22:30 - Feb 18 with 2534 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Welcome back to the board, my old friend! How are you?

Great report, too.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

A lovely day out... on 22:31 - Feb 18 with 2522 viewsPommyhoop

Cheers for the report mate..
Nice one!

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

A lovely day out... on 22:32 - Feb 18 with 2510 viewsHunterhoop

Cheers for report Carlos.

Loved Ned's celebration on the highlights (after the 2nd I think).

And live the photo of all 10 outfield players celebrating the 4th.

That's positive.
A lovely day out... on 00:02 - Feb 19 with 2296 viewsrobith

I have had a lovely day. I am very very drunk.

Birmingham were garbage, there for the taking and boy did we take them.
A lovely day out... on 00:14 - Feb 19 with 2262 viewsBoston

Enjoyed reading your observations, Carlos.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

A lovely day out... on 00:25 - Feb 19 with 2233 viewsHunterhoop

A lovely day out... on 00:02 - Feb 19 by robith

I have had a lovely day. I am very very drunk.

Birmingham were garbage, there for the taking and boy did we take them.

Lovely work, Rob.

Glad you boys had a good time.
A lovely day out... on 01:29 - Feb 19 with 2163 viewstimcocking

Happy day(s)!

What was that about Lynch and Bircham?
[Post edited 19 Feb 2017 1:32]
A lovely day out... on 10:35 - Feb 19 with 1776 viewscarlosthebulb

A lovely day out... on 22:30 - Feb 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Welcome back to the board, my old friend! How are you?

Great report, too.

i'm very well thank you. Its been a while mate. When you next over?
A lovely day out... on 13:30 - Feb 19 with 1645 viewsBrianMcCarthy

A lovely day out... on 10:35 - Feb 19 by carlosthebulb

i'm very well thank you. Its been a while mate. When you next over?

Well, I'm over in March but we don't have a game. Same last Christmas. Seems to be that way at the moment between my work, luck, and Sky moving games.

I'll holler if I'm over when we're playing.

Take it easy.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024