Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Petrasso at Gold Cup 20:45 - Jul 8 with 2102 viewsVancouverHoop

Playing attacking RB for Canada behind our old friend Junior Hoilett. I thought he was a striker, but according to the TV guys he's being playing RB for R's reserves (true?)

Generally he did pretty well, especially going forward, but lost his man badly on the second French Guiana goal. Be interesting to see how he does against stronger competition (Costa Rica on Tuesday.) Canada won 4—2 with two goals from sixteen-year-old wunderkind Alphonso Davies.
Petrasso at Gold Cup on 20:58 - Jul 8 with 2082 viewsTacticalR

In our home game against Sheffield Wednesday in April he was played as right wing back, but nobody seemed to have the slightest idea why. He was taken off at half-time.

Wednesday make it five straight defeats for hapless Rangers
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/45521/

Air hostess clique

Petrasso at Gold Cup on 09:12 - Jul 9 with 1898 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ah. He didn't go over the sticks at Cheltenham then, as at first I feared.
Petrasso at Gold Cup on 10:06 - Jul 9 with 1846 viewsfrancisbowles

Petrasso at Gold Cup on 09:12 - Jul 9 by CiderwithRsie

Ah. He didn't go over the sticks at Cheltenham then, as at first I feared.

He also played as a Right Wing Back at Villa, off the bench, if I remember right. Again to little effect. He seems too small to me.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2017 13:33]
Petrasso at Gold Cup on 16:42 - Jul 9 with 1684 viewsvegasranger

He's been around way too long. He's 22 now and surely should have been moved on? Saw Brandon Comley just got a new year long contract. He will be 22 this year and didn't feature yesterday. What was the point? If you aren't a regular in our very average team at 21 / 22 you probably never will be.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2017 16:43]
Petrasso at Gold Cup on 16:24 - Jul 12 with 1460 viewsjoolsyp

Played 90 mins again yesterday in Canada's 1-1 draw against Costa Rica. So, he's good enough for his national team at right-back but not even worth a try for a lower-mid Championship team?
Petrasso at Gold Cup on 18:19 - Jul 12 with 1406 viewsozranger

Petrasso at Gold Cup on 16:24 - Jul 12 by joolsyp

Played 90 mins again yesterday in Canada's 1-1 draw against Costa Rica. So, he's good enough for his national team at right-back but not even worth a try for a lower-mid Championship team?

I watched the last 30 mins and concentrated on him. He played okay, but appeared quite raw and was caught out a number of times ball-watching. He had incredible help from Vitoria. Petrasso rarely went forward to support on the wings but he may have been tired by that time in the game. Personally, I did not see much that I was impressed with. However, the defence overall was not overly impressive and reminded me of watching a certain lower-mid Championship team's current defence.
Petrasso at Gold Cup on 18:39 - Jul 12 with 1384 viewsjoolsyp

Petrasso at Gold Cup on 18:19 - Jul 12 by ozranger

I watched the last 30 mins and concentrated on him. He played okay, but appeared quite raw and was caught out a number of times ball-watching. He had incredible help from Vitoria. Petrasso rarely went forward to support on the wings but he may have been tired by that time in the game. Personally, I did not see much that I was impressed with. However, the defence overall was not overly impressive and reminded me of watching a certain lower-mid Championship team's current defence.

Thanks ozranger - I'd like to see him given a go in that position in a pre-season friendly. How good is Alphonso Davies!
Petrasso at Gold Cup on 18:46 - Jul 12 with 1383 viewsVancouverHoop

Petrasso at Gold Cup on 16:24 - Jul 12 by joolsyp

The CMNT would get eaten alive in the Championship.

Davies's third goal in the competition last night made him the sixth highest all-time Canadian scorer in the Gold Cup. Dwayne DeRosario is Canada's all time top male goal scorer with 22 in all competitions. Our footballing history is seriously pathetic by any standards.

That said this squad shows more potential than any in the past twenty years. I thought Petrasso did OK, certainly the right side of defence, looked less vulnerable than the left. He covers reasonably well, but still seems a bit tentative in the tackle. Probably expected given that he hasn't been playing the position very long.
Login to get fewer ads

Petrasso at Gold Cup on 19:02 - Jul 12 with 1355 viewsVancouverHoop

Petrasso at Gold Cup on 18:39 - Jul 12 by joolsyp

Thanks ozranger - I'd like to see him given a go in that position in a pre-season friendly. How good is Alphonso Davies!

Potentially extremely good. At sixteen he's physically stronger than most forwards in their mid-20s, and has above average speed. He also possesses an almost uncanny ability to play through players. He's just incredibly hard to get the ball off. One on one he's lethal. In MLS teams are already doubling up on him, though at times I've seen seen him beat two, even three, defenders at a time. He also has an extremely confident shot (exemplified by all three goals he's scored in this competition.)

On the downside he'll sometimes work himself into impossible positions. Experienced defenders can force him into that. He was much less effective in the second-half last night as Costa Rica's defence was able to guide him toward he goal-line and suffocate his chances.

He's probably the most watched young player in MLS since Freddie Adu (but with a better chance of success.) Watching him develop over the next couple of years is going to be a lot of fun.
Petrasso at Gold Cup on 19:43 - Jul 12 with 1336 viewsjoolsyp

Petrasso at Gold Cup on 19:02 - Jul 12 by VancouverHoop

Potentially extremely good. At sixteen he's physically stronger than most forwards in their mid-20s, and has above average speed. He also possesses an almost uncanny ability to play through players. He's just incredibly hard to get the ball off. One on one he's lethal. In MLS teams are already doubling up on him, though at times I've seen seen him beat two, even three, defenders at a time. He also has an extremely confident shot (exemplified by all three goals he's scored in this competition.)

On the downside he'll sometimes work himself into impossible positions. Experienced defenders can force him into that. He was much less effective in the second-half last night as Costa Rica's defence was able to guide him toward he goal-line and suffocate his chances.

He's probably the most watched young player in MLS since Freddie Adu (but with a better chance of success.) Watching him develop over the next couple of years is going to be a lot of fun.

The few times I've seen him for the Whitecaps he looked a bit naive (which is totally understandable at 16!) - e.g the Champions League semi-final vs Tigres. But my word the boy has talent - as you say, so strong for a 16-year old, drifts through tackles sometimes.

Fancy meeting up at a Whitecaps game VancouverHoop?
Petrasso at Gold Cup on 19:50 - Jul 12 with 1332 viewsVancouverHoop

Petrasso at Gold Cup on 19:43 - Jul 12 by joolsyp

The few times I've seen him for the Whitecaps he looked a bit naive (which is totally understandable at 16!) - e.g the Champions League semi-final vs Tigres. But my word the boy has talent - as you say, so strong for a 16-year old, drifts through tackles sometimes.

Fancy meeting up at a Whitecaps game VancouverHoop?

That would be cool. (I thought there was a PM function here but can't find it...?)
Petrasso at Gold Cup on 20:04 - Jul 12 with 1322 viewsjoolsyp

Petrasso at Gold Cup on 19:50 - Jul 12 by VancouverHoop

That would be cool. (I thought there was a PM function here but can't find it...?)

I've PM'd you - hope you find it!
Petrasso at Gold Cup on 16:30 - Jul 15 with 1172 viewsVancouverHoop

Played well last night in a resolute defensive effort against Hondurus that took Canada through to the first knockout round. Turned once, but that was his only obvious error, and cleared a certain goal off the goal line. He's improving slowly game to game, as is the entire team.
Petrasso at Gold Cup on 17:34 - Jul 15 with 1116 viewsrsonist

Like everyone else I thought Ollie playing him at RB was complete drivel and am shocked he's proving adequate there even at Gold Cup level. Still think he's a winger all day long, and not a bad one at that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024