Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes Thread 19:48 - Nov 15 with 44819 viewsBlackCrowe

If we survive the 1st test, i think we might just sneak it. If we lose it, it'll probably be carnage.

Going to days 1-3 of Sydney. Anyone else there?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes Thread on 07:49 - Dec 6 with 2161 viewsWokingR

How very English.
Makes you wonder why we fall for the hope and excitement every time.
Ashes Thread on 08:59 - Dec 6 with 2110 viewsTheChef

Ashes Thread on 07:49 - Dec 6 by WokingR

How very English.
Makes you wonder why we fall for the hope and excitement every time.

Exactly. Hence I was not surprised at all to wake up this morning and discover we were all out. We already knew from the summer that the batting line up is flaky and cannot sustain accurate pace bowling.

Problem is there's not much else in this squad to improve things. As Hunter suggests we really should move Bairstow ahead of Ali, once again he was left with the tail and didn't have many options in the end. Get him in earlier to build an innings with the established batsmen (ideally!) and you have Ali as the option to hit out and get quick runs at the end.

So to Perth, what do you do? Ballance IMO is no better than Vince, another walking wicket. You could maybe tinker a little with the batting line up, otherwise it will be the same team and very likely the same result.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes Thread on 10:02 - Dec 6 with 2071 viewsElHoop

Well at least they had the decency to let me get back to bed for a few hours. In fairness they did bowl pretty well this morning and there were no excuses.

I don't agree that the Aussies are a poor side. They've failed with the bat once in four innings, when we bowled particularly well in advantageous conditions. We've not batted well once yet. Oz can definitely bowl and field.

We urgently need to find some batsmen. If we could get Stokes back then we'd presumably drop Vince but not in this series by the look of it. They'll probably drop Vince anyway and bring in Ballance but that looks 'like for like' to me. I'd be tempted to drop Vince and bring in Curran and push Root to 3 and Bairstow to 4, but that definitely won't happen. I'd fancy Curran to score more than Vince even batting at 10.
Ashes Thread on 10:27 - Dec 6 with 2060 viewsTheBlob

My bruv Phil was at the game,it was utter utter crap but the barmy army in good form although too pissed to care much about the result.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Ashes Thread on 10:36 - Dec 6 with 2054 viewsElHoop

Ashes Thread on 10:27 - Dec 6 by TheBlob

My bruv Phil was at the game,it was utter utter crap but the barmy army in good form although too pissed to care much about the result.

It's bad enough drinking all day at a normal test match but a day-night game must be an absolute killer - literally all day drinking i imagine. 5 days of that?
Ashes Thread on 10:42 - Dec 6 with 2040 viewsTheChef

Ashes Thread on 10:02 - Dec 6 by ElHoop

Well at least they had the decency to let me get back to bed for a few hours. In fairness they did bowl pretty well this morning and there were no excuses.

I don't agree that the Aussies are a poor side. They've failed with the bat once in four innings, when we bowled particularly well in advantageous conditions. We've not batted well once yet. Oz can definitely bowl and field.

We urgently need to find some batsmen. If we could get Stokes back then we'd presumably drop Vince but not in this series by the look of it. They'll probably drop Vince anyway and bring in Ballance but that looks 'like for like' to me. I'd be tempted to drop Vince and bring in Curran and push Root to 3 and Bairstow to 4, but that definitely won't happen. I'd fancy Curran to score more than Vince even batting at 10.

Ballance is another walking wicket.

Root should man up and bat 3.

Ashes Thread on 22:34 - Dec 6 with 1890 viewsstowmarketrange

I’ve just heard that Stokes has been selected for the ODI squad in January.Why can’t he play now then and give us more of a chance of retaining the Ashes?
Ashes Thread on 23:42 - Dec 6 with 1862 viewseastside_r

Ashes Thread on 03:11 - Dec 6 by Hooparoo

I’m a fair dinkum Aussie (7 generations since 1831). Most Aussies love a bit of banter in games but most, like me, don’t like it when our blokes go too far and make it all nasty and boorish. Play it tough but fair then have a beer together afterwards. Important to both win and lose graciously in my view.

I liken the banter between Aussies and Poms as a bit like brothers - all competitive and tough during the match but deep down we have a shared history and abiding respect for each other.

Fair play to you and your boys. The best team again over five days.

Out of interest what makes you are QPR fan? I think I am a bit of a random ranger but at least I'm from this city.

On your pitches, Starc will destroy us (again), we need him to tread on a ball in the warm-up.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes Thread on 00:54 - Dec 7 with 1839 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes Thread on 10:02 - Dec 6 by ElHoop

Maybe not poor, but Smith aside they're decidedly average, just like England.

They look stronger in their conditions, we look stronger in ours. They haven't won the ashes in England since 2001 and it will be no surprise to see England regain them in a couple of years.
Ashes Thread on 02:57 - Dec 7 with 1812 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes Thread on 00:54 - Dec 7 by SydneyRs

They look stronger in their conditions, we look stronger in ours. They haven't won the ashes in England since 2001 and it will be no surprise to see England regain them in a couple of years.

Are you going to any of the cricket in Sydney?We get there on New Year’s Eve and will have a few days sightseeing before the test starts.Is it worth hiring a car for a few days or are the transport links ok for getting to different places around town?Any tips on places to go would be good.
It’d be good to meet up for a beer or two if you’re around and free to get out.
There are a couple of R’s fans on this board going over to see our consolation win so maybe we can have a party.
Cheers.
Ashes Thread on 03:38 - Dec 7 with 1798 viewsHooparoo

Ashes Thread on 23:42 - Dec 6 by eastside_r

Fair play to you and your boys. The best team again over five days.

Out of interest what makes you are QPR fan? I think I am a bit of a random ranger but at least I'm from this city.

On your pitches, Starc will destroy us (again), we need him to tread on a ball in the warm-up.

My old man was an Aussie but loved everything British including football. He was president of the Northern Rivers federation for years and hosted the famous Man U team on the Gold Coast in 1967 so he was a United fan. He used to let me stay up to watch Match of the Day with him and one night I saw Stanley take United apart and I liked the hoops on the jersey so - became an Rs fan at about age 8 (1973-74).

Sometimes regret it but I could never change and don’t understand people who could swap clubs. I’m an R for life (for better or worse) 😉

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes Thread on 06:18 - Dec 7 with 1767 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes Thread on 02:57 - Dec 7 by stowmarketrange

Are you going to any of the cricket in Sydney?We get there on New Year’s Eve and will have a few days sightseeing before the test starts.Is it worth hiring a car for a few days or are the transport links ok for getting to different places around town?Any tips on places to go would be good.
It’d be good to meet up for a beer or two if you’re around and free to get out.
There are a couple of R’s fans on this board going over to see our consolation win so maybe we can have a party.
Cheers.

I'm not planning to go to the test this time, but if England look like winning I might get over there.

The English support in Sydney is usually huge. I went in 2003 when we were 4-0 down in the series, had lost every game on tour and were being roundly ridiculed. I'll never forget walking into the ground that day and being blown away by the number of England flags and the size of the support - must have been at least 10,000. We also won that test and Vaughan scored a superb century the day I was there. The England support sang non stop all day long, creating a superb atmosphere. I could not believe the support for a losing side and this is something the Aussies will never have.

I was also there in 2011 when we wrapped up a 3-1 series win, the only series win here since the mid 1980s and its clearly staying that way for a while!

Would be nice to catch up for a beer in town if we can organise it.

Sydney is a pretty car reliant city and public transport isn't as good as places like London where you can pretty much get by without a car if you want to. Visitors however usually stay in and around the city centre and the train and bus services there are ok.

The area around the opera house nad harbour bridge at Circular Quay is a must for visitors. The Opera Bar near the Opera House has great views and is a really nice spot for a few beers. The Harbour Bridge climb is expensive but well worth it in my opinion.

Obviously the beaches that time of year are popular. Bondi is close to the city but can have strong waves if you're not used to it. Coogee beach is close to Bondi and not as busy. Buses to both from the city that ake around 30 mins I think. The sun here is fierce in summer so use a good sunscreen. Its readily available and cheap here, much cheaper than in the UK where they are selling to a holiday maker market rather than as an everyday thing. Getting the ferry out to Manly beach is also worth the trip although can get very crowded in summer. Any ferry trip from circular quay will give you great views of the harbour and the ferries are much cheaper than the touristy boat trips.

New years is very busy around the harbour. If you want a decent view of the fireworks you will need to be in place early. Some areas don't permit alcohol too.

Where are you staying?
Ashes Thread on 08:30 - Dec 7 with 1739 viewsmakaveli1882

Ashes Thread on 06:18 - Dec 7 by SydneyRs

I'm not planning to go to the test this time, but if England look like winning I might get over there.

The English support in Sydney is usually huge. I went in 2003 when we were 4-0 down in the series, had lost every game on tour and were being roundly ridiculed. I'll never forget walking into the ground that day and being blown away by the number of England flags and the size of the support - must have been at least 10,000. We also won that test and Vaughan scored a superb century the day I was there. The England support sang non stop all day long, creating a superb atmosphere. I could not believe the support for a losing side and this is something the Aussies will never have.

I was also there in 2011 when we wrapped up a 3-1 series win, the only series win here since the mid 1980s and its clearly staying that way for a while!

Sydney is a pretty car reliant city and public transport isn't as good as places like London where you can pretty much get by without a car if you want to. Visitors however usually stay in and around the city centre and the train and bus services there are ok.

The area around the opera house nad harbour bridge at Circular Quay is a must for visitors. The Opera Bar near the Opera House has great views and is a really nice spot for a few beers. The Harbour Bridge climb is expensive but well worth it in my opinion.

Obviously the beaches that time of year are popular. Bondi is close to the city but can have strong waves if you're not used to it. Coogee beach is close to Bondi and not as busy. Buses to both from the city that ake around 30 mins I think. The sun here is fierce in summer so use a good sunscreen. Its readily available and cheap here, much cheaper than in the UK where they are selling to a holiday maker market rather than as an everyday thing. Getting the ferry out to Manly beach is also worth the trip although can get very crowded in summer. Any ferry trip from circular quay will give you great views of the harbour and the ferries are much cheaper than the touristy boat trips.

New years is very busy around the harbour. If you want a decent view of the fireworks you will need to be in place early. Some areas don't permit alcohol too.

Where are you staying?

SydneyR - I am in Sydney for new year's eve until the evening of tuesday the 9th and would be well up for meeting a few Rangers fans if we could get a meet together, I have heard the Rock is a good place to have a drink.

Tickets still available for Sydney FC V Newcastle Jets which is on
Wednesday 03/01/2018 via http://premier.ticketek.com.au/
Can't be any worse than watching Rangers at the moment

Staying Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach by the way
Ashes Thread on 08:34 - Dec 7 with 1737 viewsmakaveli1882

Ashes Thread on 08:30 - Dec 7 by makaveli1882

SydneyR - I am in Sydney for new year's eve until the evening of tuesday the 9th and would be well up for meeting a few Rangers fans if we could get a meet together, I have heard the Rock is a good place to have a drink.

better link http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=SYDFC1418

19.50 kick off
Ashes Thread on 09:21 - Dec 7 with 1718 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes Thread on 08:34 - Dec 7 by makaveli1882

better link http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=SYDFC1418

19.50 kick off

I got tickets for me and my mate.I also got a ticket for the Liam Gallagher concert the following night.We fly out on the 9th too,via Abu Dhabi.
We are staying in the Metro hotel in Marlow.Its the official barmy army hotel so I guess there won’t be much sleeping going on.
New Year’s Eve is when we get there from Melbourne and we’ve booked tickets at one of the nearby bars so we should get a decent view of the fireworks.
I’d like to go a bit further afield for a day or two so a car might come in handy.
See you all out there.
Ashes Thread on 09:25 - Dec 7 with 1709 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Ashes Thread on 03:38 - Dec 7 by Hooparoo

My old man was an Aussie but loved everything British including football. He was president of the Northern Rivers federation for years and hosted the famous Man U team on the Gold Coast in 1967 so he was a United fan. He used to let me stay up to watch Match of the Day with him and one night I saw Stanley take United apart and I liked the hoops on the jersey so - became an Rs fan at about age 8 (1973-74).

Sometimes regret it but I could never change and don’t understand people who could swap clubs. I’m an R for life (for better or worse) 😉

Sounds like a non contagious disease 😉

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Ashes Thread on 09:27 - Dec 7 with 1704 viewsElHoop

Ashes Thread on 00:54 - Dec 7 by SydneyRs

Well we shall see. I think that we are heading into a grim period in the test match arena anyway. I can't see where the replacements for Cook and Broad in particular are going to come from, and we've not adequately replaced a few others who have retired in recent years. We don't have a proper spinner, no openers, nobody at 3 - that's half a team in reality.

The defeat to the Windies at Headingley was an indicator that we are on the slide at home as well. Even the Windies have a couple of guys (Brathwaite and Hope) who can dig in and survive a crisis and turn it round - where are ours now?
Ashes Thread on 09:54 - Dec 7 with 1690 viewsTheChef

Ashes Thread on 22:34 - Dec 6 by stowmarketrange

I’ve just heard that Stokes has been selected for the ODI squad in January.Why can’t he play now then and give us more of a chance of retaining the Ashes?

Exactly.

The whole Stokes situation is a total crock of sh1t.

Ashes Thread on 10:17 - Dec 7 with 1673 viewsjonno

Ashes Thread on 09:27 - Dec 7 by ElHoop

Well we shall see. I think that we are heading into a grim period in the test match arena anyway. I can't see where the replacements for Cook and Broad in particular are going to come from, and we've not adequately replaced a few others who have retired in recent years. We don't have a proper spinner, no openers, nobody at 3 - that's half a team in reality.

The defeat to the Windies at Headingley was an indicator that we are on the slide at home as well. Even the Windies have a couple of guys (Brathwaite and Hope) who can dig in and survive a crisis and turn it round - where are ours now?

Totally agree. Not looking good.
Ashes Thread on 10:19 - Dec 7 with 1671 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes Thread on 06:18 - Dec 7 by SydneyRs

Where are you staying?

I'm staying at the Old Clare Hotel. do you know it SydneyRs? any good?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes Thread on 13:13 - Dec 7 with 1609 viewsTGRRRSSS

Cook, Broad and you can add Anderson to that list as well (older than either of them). Not sure if Ali's not been found out a bit now too.
Ashes Thread on 15:56 - Dec 7 with 1570 viewsElHoop

Ashes Thread on 13:13 - Dec 7 by TGRRRSSS

Cook, Broad and you can add Anderson to that list as well (older than either of them). Not sure if Ali's not been found out a bit now too.

I've actually got young Curran lined up to replace Anderson, which is one reason why I'd like to see him on the same pitch as the old master for a test or two.

Ali is I think a bit injured - that finger seems to be a problem, but he's no Swann is he?
Ashes Thread on 22:11 - Dec 7 with 1510 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes Thread on 10:19 - Dec 7 by BlackCrowe

I'm staying at the Old Clare Hotel. do you know it SydneyRs? any good?

I don't know it but it looks decent and is nice and close to the city.

Yes the rocks area has some decent pubs and there's likely to be plenty of English fans there around the time of the test. Check out the barmy army Facebook page as they will be set up in one of the pubs, was the Paragon at circular quay in former years but not sure if they are using it again this time.

Also the Hoops down under Facebook page is good for contacting other QPR fans in Oz. They meet up to watch games but less so this time of year when the kickoffs are at 2am.
Ashes Thread on 22:17 - Dec 7 with 1506 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes Thread on 08:30 - Dec 7 by makaveli1882

Shame there's not a Sydney FC v Western Sydney Wanderers derby while you're here. Easily the best game for atmosphere, the Wanderers fans especially are really noisy and never stop singing. Usually get a full house of around 40,000 for those games ( I'm going to one tomorrow night). Given the distances involved and the small size of clubs like the jets away support is otherwise very small. Sydney FC play in a decent stadium but aside from the derby games where Wanderers bring a large following they don't get big crowds.

Coogee is a great spot. Beach on your doorstep, easy bus ride to the city and always plenty of poms around there. A lot of backpackers base themselves around there.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2017 22:21]
Ashes Thread on 23:07 - Dec 7 with 1488 viewsHunterhoop

Ashes Thread on 15:56 - Dec 7 by ElHoop

I've actually got young Curran lined up to replace Anderson, which is one reason why I'd like to see him on the same pitch as the old master for a test or two.

Ali is I think a bit injured - that finger seems to be a problem, but he's no Swann is he?

Tom Curran is a completely different sort of bowler to Anderson. He's a Broad like for like. Sam Curran is closer in style and approach to Anderson, but nowhere near ready.

Woakes is Anderson's replacement, and he is genuinely very good. England haven't seen the best of him but he's being modelled to fill Jimmy's boots.

Zofrey Archer is the next "pace" hope. TRJ is the most reliable and accurate county bowler. And Sam Curran is the best "swing" bowler in county cricket, but otherwise a limited bowler. Tom Helm is also being groomed as the long term (give it 3 years) Eng "Anderson styled" opening bowler. They love him and he has all the attributes
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024