Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bit late...a tribute to Super Ray 10:32 - Apr 7 with 2894 viewscarlosthebulb

Ive just read some fantastic tributes to the great man on here and feel the need to add mine. At the time of Ray's arrival from Rangers, I was going to every game, home & away and thinking back, probably never missed a Wilins performance in that time.

As I recall, Trevor Francis signed him from Scotland on a free shortly after we'd acquired Peter Reid. I'll hold my hands up now and say that I didn't like it, two ageing dinosaurs in our midfield, what on earth is Trev doing?! Especially a bloke who just passes sideways. Well, cut to the Palace away game and a demonstration of total football from the two old guys and Sinton running riot with a 3-0 win, it all changed for me. I was onboard. Strangely though, Reid was off into management a few weeks later so it was down to Ray to hold the midfield together and become one of the greatest players I'd seen at Loftus Road, before and since.

The travesty of all this is that when you speak to others, the crab nickname and sideways passing always comes up, yet you couldnt wish for a more attacking midfielder at times, whether it be threading one through to Les or being the furthest player forward as we defended a corner, gesticulating that he wanted the ball early from the keeper. and the goals. the chips v Sheff Wed & Wimbledon, the cracker where Grobbelaar didn't even move v Liverpool, you've all seen them in recent days on excellent tribute videos. But it was little things I remember in his performances that stand out for me. Once, at Oldham, he threaded a ball with the outside of his boot to put Sinton away and left me speechless with the amount of spin he put on it. The most theatrical dive at Old Trafford when surrounded by United players that made even Utd fans laugh, or the time he mocked Tony Roberts at the Loft End when the young keeper started moaning about something. Ray put his fingers to his lips in a "diddums" kind of way which slaughtered the keeper in front of everyone and demonstrated that at times he could find a nasty side.

I was lucky enough to meet him a few times, and will point out that his generosity and thoughtfulness knew no bounds. it was just automatic. Once at Norwich, at the game where he set Bailey up for that last minute winner, a certain Brian McCarthy lost his carkeys in the celebrations. We returned to the ground and tried to phone help, with the surreal help of Gerry Francis making an sos call on our behalf to the local constabulary. Whilst waiting outside, the players emerged and Ray approached us to ask our plight. When we explained, he said why don't we come back on the team coach. As a true die-hard Rangers fan, I was in heaven, but it was short-lived. Ray came back over and explained that Richard Thompson, the chairman, was travelling back on the coach also and would "not approve" us being on there. Gutted. But then Ray produced an envelope and had managed a whip round between the players, I kid you not, so that we could get home. What a bloke and it encapsulated the bond between club and fans at the time that I fear we'll never get back to.

Like many others, more recently, I had seen him a few times in the Crown & Sceptre and as stated, he was always approachable and charming. Of course, there were things he did that I didn't like, his time as manager being the obvious one. His referral to scumbag Terry as simply "John' all the bleeding time really rankled, as well. But, nothing will ever change my view that the world, and football in particular, has lost one of its most prized assets. For me, he was simply Super Ray, a bloke who fitted into QPR like a glove in spite of his Chelsea connections. Lovely tributes from Les, Ollie etc which makes it all the more hard to accept he has gone. I read Clive's piece on him and agree, could we have done more to appreciate him while he was still alive? But, as a fan who stood on terraces all over the country watching him in his stint at Loftus Road, I'll never forget what he did for me and my club. Thank you Raymond, may you be rest dangerously well in piece...
Bit late...a tribute to Super Ray on 10:44 - Apr 7 with 2868 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hey Carlos,

I'd forgotten that it was Wilkins that organised that whip-round for us. What a gent. It was greatly appreciated by us, and also by the owner of the nearby Ferry Boat Inn!

Edit: I've been trying to find online the article about that day I did for AKUTR's. I'll try again later. It was incredibly decent of Francis, Wilkins and the rest to bail us out and it got us all home safely including my kid sister, Debs, who was along for the away trip as it was the annual fancy dress day.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2018 11:12]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Bit late...a tribute to Super Ray on 11:48 - Apr 7 with 2775 viewsNov77

anyone remember the game (against Newcastle at home I think) when their fans were singing "Wilkins, Wilkins, wheres your hair?", and he turned round to them, lifted his shirt and showed them his hairy chest.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Bit late...a tribute to Super Ray on 12:27 - Apr 7 with 2719 viewscarlosthebulb

Bit late...a tribute to Super Ray on 10:44 - Apr 7 by BrianMcCarthy

Hey Carlos,

I'd forgotten that it was Wilkins that organised that whip-round for us. What a gent. It was greatly appreciated by us, and also by the owner of the nearby Ferry Boat Inn!

Edit: I've been trying to find online the article about that day I did for AKUTR's. I'll try again later. It was incredibly decent of Francis, Wilkins and the rest to bail us out and it got us all home safely including my kid sister, Debs, who was along for the away trip as it was the annual fancy dress day.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2018 11:12]

you remember the pub name??? fair play. What a great day, apart from the keys...
Bit late...a tribute to Super Ray on 12:53 - Apr 7 with 2680 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bit late...a tribute to Super Ray on 12:27 - Apr 7 by carlosthebulb

you remember the pub name??? fair play. What a great day, apart from the keys...

I do. It's entered folklore.

If you remember the owner took a shine to Don and Rich and we left them there for the night. I remember you me and Debs heading home in the tow truck laughing our heads off. We were probably somewhere near London when Don and Rich realised that the pub owner and clientele wanted something more than friendship!!!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Bit late...a tribute to Super Ray on 13:42 - Apr 7 with 2606 viewscarlosthebulb

Bit late...a tribute to Super Ray on 12:53 - Apr 7 by BrianMcCarthy

I do. It's entered folklore.

If you remember the owner took a shine to Don and Rich and we left them there for the night. I remember you me and Debs heading home in the tow truck laughing our heads off. We were probably somewhere near London when Don and Rich realised that the pub owner and clientele wanted something more than friendship!!!

love it. I'd love to read that article you did for AKUTRS if you can find it
Bit late...a tribute to Super Ray on 15:47 - Apr 7 with 2524 viewsthemodfather

we had some wondeful times with el tel, then the wilkins era, we played good football, a team full of internationals..we had cup runs, yes, we did....were top 8 , could give any top team a game, especially at the bush.....i have been thinking back to those days, happy days and super ray is a real rangers legend.
i still recall the 4-2 win v chelsea, wilkins does a shoulder pass and falco volleys home, oh my! RIP super ray
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024