Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Referee! (Non QPR) 13:56 - Nov 15 with 1130 viewsPinnerPaul

Interested in any views on this from non referees.

In a recent Womens Super League match (Televised), referee forgot to take out coin and because of TV didn't want to delay kick off by going to get it from the changing room.

He decided to get captains to do Rock, Paper, Scissors - very odd decision as could have just put whistle in one hand and got captains to guess which hand for example.

However, the law DOES say a coin should be tossed.

He's an experienced referee (Has done some EFL games).

He has been banned for 21 days for showing 'disrespect to the game'

I know what fellow referees think about it, but wondered what the average (well ok above average!) fan on here thought about his punishment?

Thanks
Referee! (Non QPR) on 14:07 - Nov 15 with 1112 viewsNorthernr

Read about this at the weekend and, frankly, who gives a toss (excuse the pun)? He should have had a coin, he didn't, he came up with an idea on the spot that did the job just as well, big deal.

I'd say this is a classic example of referees and refereeing authorities being absolute sticklers for the minutiae of the 'laws of the game' and absolutely no feel for the sport or the people that play it and watch it whatsoever.

(I used the grass trick as well when in a similar situation back in the day)

This post has been edited by an administrator
Referee! (Non QPR) on 14:14 - Nov 15 with 1092 viewsSonofNorfolt

Like whistle blower Dougie Smith who booked Gazza for booking him?
Referee! (Non QPR) on 14:19 - Nov 15 with 1075 viewsrobith

Seems very strange as rugby refs have done the PSR route when both captains have agreed on special occasions like a players' last game or if the skippers know each other very well
Referee! (Non QPR) on 14:20 - Nov 15 with 1073 viewsPinnerPaul

Referee! (Non QPR) on 14:07 - Nov 15 by Northernr

Read about this at the weekend and, frankly, who gives a toss (excuse the pun)? He should have had a coin, he didn't, he came up with an idea on the spot that did the job just as well, big deal.

I'd say this is a classic example of referees and refereeing authorities being absolute sticklers for the minutiae of the 'laws of the game' and absolutely no feel for the sport or the people that play it and watch it whatsoever.

(I used the grass trick as well when in a similar situation back in the day)

This post has been edited by an administrator

Cheers Clive,

Yes that's pretty much what everyone on RefChat thinks.

Interestingly Martin Atkinson (and his team) didn't see (cough, cough) Sol Bamba remove his shirt and didn't caution him. Also a flagrant ignoring of the LOTG, but not seen ANY official criticism of that decision, let alone ban.

Also just been reported that Sir Charlie has now 'been given the benefit of the doubt' for his rant against the referee (after an admittedly very poor decision) but that's not really the point.

If you're handing out 21 day bans for this, then there should be an awful lot of players, managers AND referees! getting bans!
Referee! (Non QPR) on 14:23 - Nov 15 with 1067 viewsNorthernr

Referee! (Non QPR) on 14:20 - Nov 15 by PinnerPaul

Cheers Clive,

Yes that's pretty much what everyone on RefChat thinks.

Interestingly Martin Atkinson (and his team) didn't see (cough, cough) Sol Bamba remove his shirt and didn't caution him. Also a flagrant ignoring of the LOTG, but not seen ANY official criticism of that decision, let alone ban.

Also just been reported that Sir Charlie has now 'been given the benefit of the doubt' for his rant against the referee (after an admittedly very poor decision) but that's not really the point.

If you're handing out 21 day bans for this, then there should be an awful lot of players, managers AND referees! getting bans!

Booking players for over celebrating is a nonsense anyway for me - again, my point about no feel for the sport you're refereeing. If the celebrations are wasting time, book them for time wasting, don't need an over celebrating rule or whatever it's called. The fact that the Leicester lad got booked on the same ground the week before, in a complete moment of unfeeling pedantry, just makes the Bamba thing even more ridiculous.
Referee! (Non QPR) on 14:51 - Nov 15 with 1034 viewsPinnerPaul

Referee! (Non QPR) on 14:23 - Nov 15 by Northernr

Booking players for over celebrating is a nonsense anyway for me - again, my point about no feel for the sport you're refereeing. If the celebrations are wasting time, book them for time wasting, don't need an over celebrating rule or whatever it's called. The fact that the Leicester lad got booked on the same ground the week before, in a complete moment of unfeeling pedantry, just makes the Bamba thing even more ridiculous.

I agree 100% about the shirt thing, I'm always arguing with Mrs PP about it - its a ridiculous law.

I also hate having to tell players that they have the wrong coloured sock tape on or even more heinously, daring to wear black undershorts and white shorts!

However, that's not really the point, if you're going to start dishing out bans, then they need to be consistent and proportionate.

Yes I realise that I AM indeed living in dream land.

I'll be glad when the ******* international break is over so I can start posting about living in a different part of dream land!
Referee! (Non QPR) on 07:22 - Nov 16 with 879 viewssmegma

Referee! (Non QPR) on 14:23 - Nov 15 by Northernr

Over celebrating is a nonsense. A player scores a goal in the last minute to win a game. He then runs to the stand behind the goal, gets mobbed by the fans and then his team mates. He gets booked. Yet, all of his colleagues don't get booked for doing the same thing.
Referee! (Non QPR) on 07:43 - Nov 16 with 871 viewsWatford_Ranger

For PP, this is arguably the most boring question posted on this board ever.... do refs have to use a certain coin or is any value fine? How about foreign coins? Chocolate coins?
Login to get fewer ads

Referee! (Non QPR) on 10:10 - Nov 16 with 830 viewsterryb

Of course the suspension is idiotic. Has the Assistant Referee in the Arsenal - Liverpool match been suspended for not knowing the offside law? I'm sorry to say that I found this attitude of following the law to it's nth degree to be the norm by the refereeing authorities & by a lot of those officiating.

Twenty years ago I was silly enough to qualify as a referee & be the man in the middle for some youth games. At a Referees Society meeting I was appalled to listen to a "discussuion" on whether a player should have been sent off or cautioned when he attempted to handle the ball on the goal line but the ball had already crossed the line. The referee who had raised the issue was an FL linesman (correct terminology for the time) with many years experience.

After listening for a few minutes, I stated that i was newly qualified & still looked at these situations from a players viewpoint. I then asked why any action should be taken against the player. A goal had been awarded, so the player was not guilty of handball & preventing a goal scoring opportunity. I asked which law had been broken to justify a caution or sending off.

I was soon put in my place. Of course, we must take action came the cry. otherwise we will lose our authority. Nobody could tell me what law had been broken though!

That was the alst RA meeting I attended!
Referee! (Non QPR) on 12:01 - Nov 16 with 793 viewsPinnerPaul

Referee! (Non QPR) on 07:43 - Nov 16 by Watford_Ranger

For PP, this is arguably the most boring question posted on this board ever.... do refs have to use a certain coin or is any value fine? How about foreign coins? Chocolate coins?

Any coin is fine.

I use an old 1 penny piece.
Referee! (Non QPR) on 12:04 - Nov 16 with 792 viewsPinnerPaul

Referee! (Non QPR) on 10:10 - Nov 16 by terryb

Of course the suspension is idiotic. Has the Assistant Referee in the Arsenal - Liverpool match been suspended for not knowing the offside law? I'm sorry to say that I found this attitude of following the law to it's nth degree to be the norm by the refereeing authorities & by a lot of those officiating.

Twenty years ago I was silly enough to qualify as a referee & be the man in the middle for some youth games. At a Referees Society meeting I was appalled to listen to a "discussuion" on whether a player should have been sent off or cautioned when he attempted to handle the ball on the goal line but the ball had already crossed the line. The referee who had raised the issue was an FL linesman (correct terminology for the time) with many years experience.

After listening for a few minutes, I stated that i was newly qualified & still looked at these situations from a players viewpoint. I then asked why any action should be taken against the player. A goal had been awarded, so the player was not guilty of handball & preventing a goal scoring opportunity. I asked which law had been broken to justify a caution or sending off.

I was soon put in my place. Of course, we must take action came the cry. otherwise we will lose our authority. Nobody could tell me what law had been broken though!

That was the alst RA meeting I attended!

If he handled the ball after it had crossed the line - goal - no further action

If he handles the ball before it crossed the line but didn't prevent a goal - yellow card (USB)

If he handles the ball and prevents a goal - penalty & red card
Referee! (Non QPR) on 12:52 - Nov 16 with 744 viewsterryb

Referee! (Non QPR) on 12:04 - Nov 16 by PinnerPaul

If he handled the ball after it had crossed the line - goal - no further action

If he handles the ball before it crossed the line but didn't prevent a goal - yellow card (USB)

If he handles the ball and prevents a goal - penalty & red card

I know that's what it should be Pinner.

They were insisting that the ball had crossed the line before he handled it & awarded a goal. However, they still wanted to caution or send off the player!
Referee! (Non QPR) on 13:02 - Nov 16 with 735 viewsBuckR

The rule regarding a player getting booked for removing his shirt has obviously been created so that all the sponsors can be seen in highlights etc
Referee! (Non QPR) on 13:41 - Nov 16 with 700 viewsPinnerPaul

Referee! (Non QPR) on 12:52 - Nov 16 by terryb

I know that's what it should be Pinner.

They were insisting that the ball had crossed the line before he handled it & awarded a goal. However, they still wanted to caution or send off the player!

Yes I agree with you - totally wrong.

Once the ball is over the line its 'out of play' so technically no offence committed.
Referee! (Non QPR) on 14:00 - Nov 16 with 685 viewsJuzzie

Referee! (Non QPR) on 07:22 - Nov 16 by smegma

Over celebrating is a nonsense. A player scores a goal in the last minute to win a game. He then runs to the stand behind the goal, gets mobbed by the fans and then his team mates. He gets booked. Yet, all of his colleagues don't get booked for doing the same thing.

Not only last minute but a goal that wins the PL title in the last minute of the last game.

Aguero got booked for doing just that. Ridiculous.
Referee! (Non QPR) on 15:06 - Nov 16 with 664 viewsPinnerPaul

For anyone interested, it seems some referees are planning to use RPS this weekend as a show of support for this referee
Referee! (Non QPR) on 15:54 - Nov 16 with 646 viewsToast_R

The shirt business has to do with the sponsors though isn't it?
Some brand paying top dollar want their logo in full view of the lense when everyone's going mental.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024