Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wormholt Park 12:55 - Feb 16 with 5192 views2Thomas2Bowles

I wonder why it's never been considered as a possible place for a new ground

Not a lot of green space in the WC I know but still.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Wormholt Park on 14:37 - Feb 16 with 4417 viewsJuzzie

Footprint nowhere near big enough for starters.
Wormholt Park on 16:35 - Feb 16 with 4264 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Because it’s a park.

Not everyone likes football. Some people prefer parks. It’s arrogant to think QPR is the most important thing in West London, even though it is.

Same reason we don’t build on the White City Estate, Leisure Centre, or Jack Tizard school.

If we want to get a new stadium built, I think the board need to accept they will need to provide something in return in terms of community assets. I get they impression they arn’t that keen in social philanthropy.
Wormholt Park on 16:41 - Feb 16 with 4250 viewsQPR_Jim

With Westfield's getting bigger and some shopping centres closing down, I was wondering whether there'd be an opportunity to buy the West12 shopping centre at some point. Could probably fit a ground on that site. Unlikely though.
Wormholt Park on 16:45 - Feb 16 with 4239 viewscolinallcars

Wormholt not the best of parks but too small anyhow. Ravenscourt park is bigger and the Tories tried to sell part of it in the 70s when they were in power. However, as stated earlier the needs of the community in general outweigh the needs of football fans. If the Tories regain control of the council they may flog it to us.
Wormholt Park on 17:55 - Feb 16 with 4139 viewssmegma

I wonder why this subject has been raised.
Wormholt Park on 19:09 - Feb 16 with 4032 viewsNW10Hoop

There’s a part of Roundwood Park in Willesden which just seems to have funfairs or film crews parked up in it, it’s detached from the landscaped part of the park which has the playgrounds, basketball courts and cafes - so there’s definitely some parks which seem to be a bit of waste - kind of how I saw huge swathes of Scrubs to be honest.

Anyways, As a resident of Brent I can say that the council here does have history in giving away land to developers in return for community assets like libraries etc. If you were being cynical you’d say they are skint and would probably welcome the right type of development. Obviously not in W12 but I wonder whether QPR have already made enquiries with Ealing and Brent?
Wormholt Park on 21:09 - Feb 16 with 3887 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Wormholt Park on 19:09 - Feb 16 by NW10Hoop

There’s a part of Roundwood Park in Willesden which just seems to have funfairs or film crews parked up in it, it’s detached from the landscaped part of the park which has the playgrounds, basketball courts and cafes - so there’s definitely some parks which seem to be a bit of waste - kind of how I saw huge swathes of Scrubs to be honest.

Anyways, As a resident of Brent I can say that the council here does have history in giving away land to developers in return for community assets like libraries etc. If you were being cynical you’d say they are skint and would probably welcome the right type of development. Obviously not in W12 but I wonder whether QPR have already made enquiries with Ealing and Brent?

I have a feeling that our owners would not be interested in developing our stadium at all, unless it involves profitable and private housing development.

No proof mind, just decades and decades of similier incidents of billionaires raping London property and land for private gain, especially Reuben who is now our director.
Wormholt Park on 21:20 - Feb 16 with 3871 viewsNW10Hoop

Wormholt Park on 21:09 - Feb 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

I have a feeling that our owners would not be interested in developing our stadium at all, unless it involves profitable and private housing development.

No proof mind, just decades and decades of similier incidents of billionaires raping London property and land for private gain, especially Reuben who is now our director.

Very possible that our owners' interest involves profitable and private housing development. But we know that on our own, without rich owners prepared to bankroll the club we will not survive as a Championship club. Our old stadium's lack of facilities for non match day income (and match day too - who get's to the ground early for a beer?) and FFP makes it so.

Even if our owners' motives aren't solely with the club in mind, can their private interests and ours not co-exist? Honestly think we'd drop down a league or two if we lost their backing, and then without another sugar daddy we'd have no means of getting a new stadium built, and likely no means to improve Loftus Rd for the small hardcore that remain. It's a tricky one.
Login to get fewer ads

Wormholt Park on 21:54 - Feb 16 with 3819 viewstraininvain

Wormholt Park on 21:09 - Feb 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

It’s hardly a damning indictment of the owner’s intentions. Plenty of football clubs use development of residential accommodation to help fund new stadiums. Arsenal being a prime example.

At the end of the day the owners have to find a way to make it stack up and as we’re based in west London this is always likely to include residential development.
Wormholt Park on 22:21 - Feb 16 with 3768 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Wormholt Park on 21:20 - Feb 16 by NW10Hoop

Very possible that our owners' interest involves profitable and private housing development. But we know that on our own, without rich owners prepared to bankroll the club we will not survive as a Championship club. Our old stadium's lack of facilities for non match day income (and match day too - who get's to the ground early for a beer?) and FFP makes it so.

Even if our owners' motives aren't solely with the club in mind, can their private interests and ours not co-exist? Honestly think we'd drop down a league or two if we lost their backing, and then without another sugar daddy we'd have no means of getting a new stadium built, and likely no means to improve Loftus Rd for the small hardcore that remain. It's a tricky one.

'Even if our owners' motives aren't solely with the club in mind, can their private interests and ours not co-exist?'

Well, as someone who grew up in social housing, no.

I love QPR and would love to see us in a local stadium fit for the club but i'm not wiling to throw local families waiting for housing under the bus. Let's not forget that 150 Grenfell families are still not housed, even if it is in a different borough.

When we ask ourselves, 'who is mad enough to buy a football club?', the answer in our case is private property developers.

I can't speak for the council but i'm sure if the QPR board said 'let us buy Workholt Park / LCS / Old Oak (or whatever) for a new stadium and we'lll put 10,000 social housing homes (for example) in the Borough in exchange for the inconvenience, H&F would bite our fvcking hands off.

Let's not whore ourselves out to these fvckers. They own the deeds but we own the soul.
Wormholt Park on 22:30 - Feb 16 with 3741 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Wormholt Park on 21:54 - Feb 16 by traininvain

It’s hardly a damning indictment of the owner’s intentions. Plenty of football clubs use development of residential accommodation to help fund new stadiums. Arsenal being a prime example.

At the end of the day the owners have to find a way to make it stack up and as we’re based in west London this is always likely to include residential development.

I know what i think they should do.

1) Sell us to the Council and the fans, let the council pay for a new stadium which would be integrated with assets like youth clubs / sports centres /community centres / small business hubs / school facilities / medical centres / adult colleges / drug rehab etc.

2) Fck off back to the world of cheap airlines and hedge funds.

I know this isn't going to happen, and I sound like a mad commie bastard, but is it really that unfeasible?

See the Preston Model for a rough outline of what i'm talking about:

[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 22:34]
Wormholt Park on 22:38 - Feb 16 with 3716 viewstraininvain

Wormholt Park on 22:30 - Feb 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

I know what i think they should do.

1) Sell us to the Council and the fans, let the council pay for a new stadium which would be integrated with assets like youth clubs / sports centres /community centres / small business hubs / school facilities / medical centres / adult colleges / drug rehab etc.

2) Fck off back to the world of cheap airlines and hedge funds.

I know this isn't going to happen, and I sound like a mad commie bastard, but is it really that unfeasible?

See the Preston Model for a rough outline of what i'm talking about:

[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 22:34]

Sounds great in theory but I suspect all a bit pie in the sky.

For starters, what makes you think the council would have any interest in buying the club? How many professional football clubs are owned by councils?

I’m not sure it’s even allowed.
Wormholt Park on 22:51 - Feb 16 with 3685 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Wormholt Park on 22:38 - Feb 16 by traininvain

Sounds great in theory but I suspect all a bit pie in the sky.

For starters, what makes you think the council would have any interest in buying the club? How many professional football clubs are owned by councils?

I’m not sure it’s even allowed.

Well why not?

Councils are in the business of creating and maintaining community assets. That's what they are for. Is QPR not a community asset? Consider what QPR in the Community do? Same thing as the council does.

Check out Supporters Direct's proposals from a few years ago:

http://www.substance.net/wp-content/uploads/COSC-Proposal-Full-Final.pdf

Biggest stumbling block I can think of is the political backlash of paying footballers millions of £s of council tax money. If it ever happens, the council better make sure the non football supporting community get something out of it.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 22:55]
Wormholt Park on 22:56 - Feb 16 with 3667 viewstraininvain

Wormholt Park on 22:51 - Feb 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

Well why not?

Councils are in the business of creating and maintaining community assets. That's what they are for. Is QPR not a community asset? Consider what QPR in the Community do? Same thing as the council does.

Biggest stumbling block I can think of is the political backlash of paying footballers millions of £s of council tax money. If it ever happens, the council better make sure the non football supporting community get something out of it.

A couple of reasons off the top of my head. Most councils already have funding issues. Owning a football club is a sure fire way to lose money.

The community asset point is interesting. I’ve often wondered if us fans could get Loftus Road listed by the council as an asset of community value. This would throw a real spanner in the works if the owners tried to redevelop Loftus Road.
Wormholt Park on 23:01 - Feb 16 with 3651 viewsMiss_Terraces

Wormholt Park on 22:51 - Feb 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

Well why not?

Fcuk that, we could be run by tories.
I hate the tories

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Wormholt Park on 23:20 - Feb 16 with 3621 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Wormholt Park on 22:56 - Feb 16 by traininvain

A couple of reasons off the top of my head. Most councils already have funding issues. Owning a football club is a sure fire way to lose money.

The community asset point is interesting. I’ve often wondered if us fans could get Loftus Road listed by the council as an asset of community value. This would throw a real spanner in the works if the owners tried to redevelop Loftus Road.

Football clubs don't have to be loss making. It's usually a political choice, usually by owners who are either stupid or looking to make the money back later.

How we can reduce our bills:

1) We made a loss of £17m last year. From a squad of 23, to be breaking even we would have to knock of an average of £14,000 for each player. Not that I know wage figures, but I think that can be done if we get rid of senior players that over lap.

Do we really need all of Scowen / Cousins / Luongo / Freeman / Chair / Tilt / Manning / Goss for 2/3 CM positions for example?

Can Shodipo or BOS do Wsloeks job for a lot less money? Again no idea what he's on but i'm sure it's more than them. These are only examples as i like those players.

Just some ideas. Again, never going to happen but imagine if it did.
Wormholt Park on 23:31 - Feb 16 with 3599 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Wormholt Park on 23:01 - Feb 16 by Miss_Terraces

Fcuk that, we could be run by tories.
I hate the tories

This is true, although we sort of already are.

James Reuben is son and nephew of these two:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/2473329/Reuben-brothers-d
Wormholt Park on 00:07 - Feb 17 with 3546 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Wormholt Park on 22:56 - Feb 16 by traininvain

It's an interesting thought but wouldn't listing Loftus rd just increase the running costs of the club and potentially destroy us?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Wormholt Park on 00:21 - Feb 17 with 3521 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Wormholt Park on 00:07 - Feb 17 by CliveWilsonSaid

It's an interesting thought but wouldn't listing Loftus rd just increase the running costs of the club and potentially destroy us?

I think he means listing as a community asset, which means it can only be used as a football stadium.

Often happens with Pubs to stop developers knocking them down and transforming them into flats. Won’t cost any more to maintain, just means it can’t be sold off.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2019 0:22]
Wormholt Park on 00:36 - Feb 17 with 3498 viewswombat

Wormholt Park on 16:41 - Feb 16 by QPR_Jim

With Westfield's getting bigger and some shopping centres closing down, I was wondering whether there'd be an opportunity to buy the West12 shopping centre at some point. Could probably fit a ground on that site. Unlikely though.

They could of and didn’t take the chance when it arose at the diary crest site 110 million I’d guess not enough pay back for the board is the reason

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Wormholt Park on 08:08 - Feb 17 with 3353 viewstraininvain

Wormholt Park on 00:21 - Feb 17 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think he means listing as a community asset, which means it can only be used as a football stadium.

Often happens with Pubs to stop developers knocking them down and transforming them into flats. Won’t cost any more to maintain, just means it can’t be sold off.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2019 0:22]

Correct. I’ve not heard of any football stadiums with ACV status which is surprising when you consider their role in the local community. It would basically give the fans a greater say over the owner’s future plans for Loftus Road.

The way it works is under the Localism Act once a building is registered as an ACV, if the owners decide to sell the stadium then the nominating community group would be given the right to bid for the asset within a six month period. Get the buckets out!

We wouldn’t have a right to buy so the owners could still sell to whoever they choose. But where it gets interesting is that we’ve seen with pubs that once they have been registered as an ACV you rarely see them change use as the local planning authority tend to take it into account even though in theory it’s not a planning policy issue.

I’d say it’s well worth exploring if we have concerns over the owner’s intentions for Loftus Road which I personally don’t at this stage. But perhaps something to bear in mind for the future.
Wormholt Park on 08:21 - Feb 17 with 3327 views2Thomas2Bowles

Charlton Athletic's Valley has ACV Status.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Wormholt Park on 08:49 - Feb 17 with 3271 viewsQPR_Jim

Wormholt Park on 23:20 - Feb 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

Football clubs don't have to be loss making. It's usually a political choice, usually by owners who are either stupid or looking to make the money back later.

How we can reduce our bills:

1) We made a loss of £17m last year. From a squad of 23, to be breaking even we would have to knock of an average of £14,000 for each player. Not that I know wage figures, but I think that can be done if we get rid of senior players that over lap.

Do we really need all of Scowen / Cousins / Luongo / Freeman / Chair / Tilt / Manning / Goss for 2/3 CM positions for example?

Can Shodipo or BOS do Wsloeks job for a lot less money? Again no idea what he's on but i'm sure it's more than them. These are only examples as i like those players.

Just some ideas. Again, never going to happen but imagine if it did.

It's not the owners anymore it's Hoos who is in charge of balancing the books and he's repeatedly identified our infrastructure as an issue that's holding us back at staying competitive at this level as our parachute payments decrease.

He's made it clear that renting two training facilities is a cost we can't continue with and the club have pushed to get a new training ground which seems to be imminent now. With the ground LH has pointed out repeatedly that it restricts our non-matchday revenue, there's not enough space for events or conferences, so we're missing out on revenue that other clubs can get. The club need to find a site for a new stadium if we want to be competitive at this level.

I don't see how being owned by the council will help, they can't afford to run their current services without adding staff to look after us. They may have the land to find a site for a new ground but not the money to build it. Your ideas for reducing our bills are fine but it will just be reducing our losses meaning we will still be making a loss. We could have a team full of youth team graduates and still make a loss judging by our latest accounts, so what then?

I don't see the problem with QPR selling Loftus road for housing if we have a new stadium in W12. The stadium would need to be owned by the club to have any of the benefits for FFP that LH talks about, so assuming that is the case I don't understand what the problem would be or how the local council would do any better.
Wormholt Park on 10:04 - Feb 17 with 3161 viewsthemodfather

hindsight can be wonderful,there was a time when we were good, had 25000 regulalry ( with terraces) and a bit of ££££, we SHOULD have bought the old white city, made that into a 40, 000 stadium. and then what? no one knew wembley was closing for refit, and dons would be homeless, maybe fa buy in and take it to 60,000 and qpr become the hub of football.....oh well...
Wormholt Park on 10:11 - Feb 17 with 3156 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Wormholt Park on 08:49 - Feb 17 by QPR_Jim

It's not the owners anymore it's Hoos who is in charge of balancing the books and he's repeatedly identified our infrastructure as an issue that's holding us back at staying competitive at this level as our parachute payments decrease.

He's made it clear that renting two training facilities is a cost we can't continue with and the club have pushed to get a new training ground which seems to be imminent now. With the ground LH has pointed out repeatedly that it restricts our non-matchday revenue, there's not enough space for events or conferences, so we're missing out on revenue that other clubs can get. The club need to find a site for a new stadium if we want to be competitive at this level.

I don't see how being owned by the council will help, they can't afford to run their current services without adding staff to look after us. They may have the land to find a site for a new ground but not the money to build it. Your ideas for reducing our bills are fine but it will just be reducing our losses meaning we will still be making a loss. We could have a team full of youth team graduates and still make a loss judging by our latest accounts, so what then?

I don't see the problem with QPR selling Loftus road for housing if we have a new stadium in W12. The stadium would need to be owned by the club to have any of the benefits for FFP that LH talks about, so assuming that is the case I don't understand what the problem would be or how the local council would do any better.

Absolutely!

Me neither!

But social and (actually affordable) housing and at no cost to the taxpayer.

You are right we do not need to be owned by the council but we need to pay our dues which is seems the money givers do not want to do.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2019 10:14]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024