Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A day that will live in infamy 20:50 - Jul 21 with 28110 viewscolinallcars

So, it looks like Boris Johnson will be named as next PM tomorrow. This country has hit rock bottom. If you think Theresa May was the worst, then think again.
A day that will live in infamy on 14:31 - Jul 26 with 1597 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A day that will live in infamy on 14:01 - Jul 26 by essextaxiboy

It was I (Leclere ! ) that mentioned it before.

.Tories won't not stand in a seat but I have heard the term " soft pedal" or as Baz described to me a "paper candidate " for seats that voted leave but would never ever vote Tory..
[Post edited 26 Jul 2019 14:02]

At the last GE UKIP didn't stand in seats where the sitting MP (either Labour or Tory) was pro Brexit to save money.

Labour and the Conservatives can afford to stand a candidate everywhere because of their larger activist bases and finances whereas the other parties can't.

That said, and it's sort a admirable quality that I wish Labour had, the Tories are completely unscrupulous and ruthless in their operations so I can see a electoral pact happening. Labour's internal rules won't allow it, but if the Tories don't have anything similar it will deliver them the next GE if Brexit is still and issue. If the Tories didn't stand in Peterborough for example Labour would have been buried there.
A day that will live in infamy on 14:47 - Jul 26 with 1558 viewsbaldyoldgit

A day that will live in infamy on 14:01 - Jul 26 by essextaxiboy

It was I (Leclere ! ) that mentioned it before.

.Tories won't not stand in a seat but I have heard the term " soft pedal" or as Baz described to me a "paper candidate " for seats that voted leave but would never ever vote Tory..
[Post edited 26 Jul 2019 14:02]

yeah I get that but I'm not sure it's that simple. If we assume that Farage is only interested in seats that voted leave and the Tories will only go with a paper candidate where Labour have a majority then that gives them a target of about 150 seats. About 40-50% of those seats have quote a small Labour majority. I'm not convinced that the Tories will just give those up. Also a handful are so Labour there's no way they will switch either. Will UKIP2.0 be happy fighting in under 80 Labour strongholds just cos they voted leave 3 years ago? I'm not convinced.
A day that will live in infamy on 15:00 - Jul 26 with 1537 viewsbaldyoldgit

A day that will live in infamy on 14:31 - Jul 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

At the last GE UKIP didn't stand in seats where the sitting MP (either Labour or Tory) was pro Brexit to save money.

Labour and the Conservatives can afford to stand a candidate everywhere because of their larger activist bases and finances whereas the other parties can't.

That said, and it's sort a admirable quality that I wish Labour had, the Tories are completely unscrupulous and ruthless in their operations so I can see a electoral pact happening. Labour's internal rules won't allow it, but if the Tories don't have anything similar it will deliver them the next GE if Brexit is still and issue. If the Tories didn't stand in Peterborough for example Labour would have been buried there.

you see Peterborough is a perfect example of what I was saying. At the last general election the Labour majority was only 600 odd votes. Despite the bi-election I just can't see the Tories throwing the towel in there, even if they have an 'understanding' with UKIP2.0.
A day that will live in infamy on 15:07 - Jul 26 with 1534 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A day that will live in infamy on 15:00 - Jul 26 by baldyoldgit

you see Peterborough is a perfect example of what I was saying. At the last general election the Labour majority was only 600 odd votes. Despite the bi-election I just can't see the Tories throwing the towel in there, even if they have an 'understanding' with UKIP2.0.

Of course.

it won't be a widespread tactic. It would have to be three way marginals where they finish third behind Labour and the Brexit party which I imagine are few and far between. And considering the BP have never stood in a GE how reliable can the polling be.

On second thoughts this will never happen.

We might see it the other way round though, with Brexit party candidates not standing.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2019 15:09]
A day that will live in infamy on 15:14 - Jul 26 with 1525 viewsDannytheR

A day that will live in infamy on 15:00 - Jul 26 by baldyoldgit

They don't need an 'understanding.' They're the same project. Every far-right headbanger from Farage to Hopkins is behind Johnson and whatever electoral maths need to be put in place later this year will be, as will the various dark arts of Dominic Cummings.

They are, literally, all on the same side now.
A day that will live in infamy on 16:24 - Jul 26 with 1461 viewsbaldyoldgit

A day that will live in infamy on 15:14 - Jul 26 by DannytheR

They don't need an 'understanding.' They're the same project. Every far-right headbanger from Farage to Hopkins is behind Johnson and whatever electoral maths need to be put in place later this year will be, as will the various dark arts of Dominic Cummings.

They are, literally, all on the same side now.

so no need for UKIP2.0? Cant see Nige going quietly though. I think you're right to some degree - Tory party looking more and more like UKLIP2.0 with each new appointment. Good. Split their vote.
A day that will live in infamy on 16:32 - Jul 26 with 1444 viewsHadders

This, from the brains behind the Leave campaign who is now Johnson's top advisor in number 10, is absolutely fascinating. Curious that part of his motivation was to undermine Farage, and he seems to have little respect of the Tory party of any MPs... As a fervent Remainer and Guardianista, I watched this to know my enemy and was riveted. Alarmingly from my perspective, it's hard to imagine anyone losing a campaign with him on board.

I see the video didn't post here for some reason. Just go on Youtube and it's called Cummings - Why Leave Won the Referendum. Really fascinating. He's not even right wing in the conventional sense...
[Post edited 26 Jul 2019 17:58]
A day that will live in infamy on 16:32 - Jul 26 with 1443 viewsrunningman75

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/26/boris-johnson-security-evgeny-l

Interesting judging by Boris's behavior it looks like we have a Prime Minister alongside the President of the USA who could possibly compromise national security .
Login to get fewer ads

A day that will live in infamy on 16:32 - Jul 26 with 1442 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A day that will live in infamy on 16:24 - Jul 26 by baldyoldgit

so no need for UKIP2.0? Cant see Nige going quietly though. I think you're right to some degree - Tory party looking more and more like UKLIP2.0 with each new appointment. Good. Split their vote.

I think DannyR’s point was that deep down they are after the same goal: continuation of the status quo for elites and capitalists and this will trump any differences in Rossette colour.

The figures prominent in all three of the right wing parties have privilege and industrial/commercial interests in common. They usually went to the same schools and mix in the same circles.

Labour have it too to a point. Much of the anti Corbyn noise comes from MPs like Margeret Hodge who has accumulated wealth by evading tax through many of the loopholes Labour want to close.

Angela Funny Tinge Face is married to a prominent Water Industry lobbyist which flies in the face of Labour’s nationalisation plans, hence her leaving to form MINGE UK or whatever it’s called now.

Even the Tom Watson stuff. He has some proper dodgy donors including Max Mosley!
[Post edited 26 Jul 2019 16:39]
A day that will live in infamy on 16:37 - Jul 26 with 1426 viewsBuckR

A day that will live in infamy on 16:32 - Jul 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think DannyR’s point was that deep down they are after the same goal: continuation of the status quo for elites and capitalists and this will trump any differences in Rossette colour.

The figures prominent in all three of the right wing parties have privilege and industrial/commercial interests in common. They usually went to the same schools and mix in the same circles.

Labour have it too to a point. Much of the anti Corbyn noise comes from MPs like Margeret Hodge who has accumulated wealth by evading tax through many of the loopholes Labour want to close.

Angela Funny Tinge Face is married to a prominent Water Industry lobbyist which flies in the face of Labour’s nationalisation plans, hence her leaving to form MINGE UK or whatever it’s called now.

Even the Tom Watson stuff. He has some proper dodgy donors including Max Mosley!

We all know the circles that Corbyn likes to to mix in though to be fair
A day that will live in infamy on 16:43 - Jul 26 with 1413 viewsbaldyoldgit

A day that will live in infamy on 16:32 - Jul 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

yeah maybe. Funny though how "continuation of the status quo for elites and capitalists" usually gets levied at us remainers rater then the brexiter Tories, et al.

I understand what you and DannyR are saying - I just don't see how it'll play out that way. One of the problems with brexit is that all seems good in theory, rhetoric, conspiracy stories and dogma. But the minute it hits the real world and requires something to be written down it all falls apart. E.g. NI border.

My conspiracy theory at the moment is that Boris is trying to save the Tory party by appearing to be all Brexit do-or-die to keep the UKIP2.0 voters but offering something to the remainers in the party (maybe a 2nd ref if every one else is offering it) to stop them going to Libdems.
A day that will live in infamy on 17:05 - Jul 26 with 1380 viewsstevec

All the hand wringing aside, did you see Boris clean out old McDonnell in Parliament yesterday? Soppy old sod didn’t know whether to flounce out or what, ended up standing there like a lemon.

Hugely entertaining
A day that will live in infamy on 17:09 - Jul 26 with 1373 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A day that will live in infamy on 17:05 - Jul 26 by stevec

All the hand wringing aside, did you see Boris clean out old McDonnell in Parliament yesterday? Soppy old sod didn’t know whether to flounce out or what, ended up standing there like a lemon.

Hugely entertaining

No. Have you got a link to this footage?

Just had a good look and can’t find anything. Perhaps you are getting on yourself.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2019 17:14]
A day that will live in infamy on 17:23 - Jul 26 with 1354 viewsstevec

A day that will live in infamy on 17:09 - Jul 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

No. Have you got a link to this footage?

Just had a good look and can’t find anything. Perhaps you are getting on yourself.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2019 17:14]

Yeah, BBC news and the like seemed to blank it after but it was live on BBC2 around midday yesterday.

Boris has done his opening speech, Corbyn replies, Boris came back at him and then wiped out McDonnell, he got in a right old state.

Needs seeing but largely around Ken Livingstone sacking him for being ‘too left wing’ and something insinuated about ‘cooking the books’ circa 1984. New one on me but McDonnell looked hugely embarrassed.

You seem up on these things, perhaps you can shed some light on what went on back then.
A day that will live in infamy on 17:43 - Jul 26 with 1327 viewsCamberleyR

A day that will live in infamy on 17:23 - Jul 26 by stevec

Yeah, BBC news and the like seemed to blank it after but it was live on BBC2 around midday yesterday.

Boris has done his opening speech, Corbyn replies, Boris came back at him and then wiped out McDonnell, he got in a right old state.

Needs seeing but largely around Ken Livingstone sacking him for being ‘too left wing’ and something insinuated about ‘cooking the books’ circa 1984. New one on me but McDonnell looked hugely embarrassed.

You seem up on these things, perhaps you can shed some light on what went on back then.

I think Johnson was probably referring to this when John McDonnell was Ken Livingstone's deputy in the GLC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McDonnell#Greater_London_Council_(1981—1986

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

A day that will live in infamy on 19:05 - Jul 26 with 1255 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A day that will live in infamy on 17:23 - Jul 26 by stevec

It's not mentioned in the Spectator either, despite every other interaction claimed as victory for Johnson. Perhaps you dreamt it. Was Luongo present?

Looks like a disagreement over policy presentation between McDonnell and Livingstone. Quite tame really considering today's political shenanigans.

IF it did happen, Boris Johnson has more front than Brighton talking about poor Public finances considering

1) He went to court over mis presenting the £350m NHS claim on a massive bus.
2) The £54m that he spunked on the Garden Bridge we don't have.
3) The 2,000 overpriced £350,000 per unit Boris Buses he ordered.
4) The £300,000 water cannons that never got used and ended up scrapped last year.

I imagine John McDonnell probably was embarrassed. I know I am every time Prime Minister Boris Johnson is mentioned.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2019 20:10]
A day that will live in infamy on 19:22 - Jul 26 with 1227 viewsClive_Anderson

Come on Baz I know most people are partisan when it comes to politics, but you take it to the next level. Everyone who opposes Corbyn can't be 100% bad.
A day that will live in infamy on 20:06 - Jul 26 with 1192 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A day that will live in infamy on 19:22 - Jul 26 by Clive_Anderson

Come on Baz I know most people are partisan when it comes to politics, but you take it to the next level. Everyone who opposes Corbyn can't be 100% bad.

Of course not.

The majority of people who dislike Corbyn do so in good faith based on bad sources in my opinion.

Not that he's above criticism by the way. He's flawed in a lot of ways.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2019 20:12]
A day that will live in infamy on 20:18 - Jul 26 with 1180 viewsstevec

A day that will live in infamy on 19:05 - Jul 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

It's not mentioned in the Spectator either, despite every other interaction claimed as victory for Johnson. Perhaps you dreamt it. Was Luongo present?

Looks like a disagreement over policy presentation between McDonnell and Livingstone. Quite tame really considering today's political shenanigans.

IF it did happen, Boris Johnson has more front than Brighton talking about poor Public finances considering

1) He went to court over mis presenting the £350m NHS claim on a massive bus.
2) The £54m that he spunked on the Garden Bridge we don't have.
3) The 2,000 overpriced £350,000 per unit Boris Buses he ordered.
4) The £300,000 water cannons that never got used and ended up scrapped last year.

I imagine John McDonnell probably was embarrassed. I know I am every time Prime Minister Boris Johnson is mentioned.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2019 20:10]

Baz, you’re boy took one hell of a beating
😄
[Post edited 26 Jul 2019 20:19]
A day that will live in infamy on 20:20 - Jul 26 with 1175 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

A day that will live in infamy on 20:18 - Jul 26 by stevec

Baz, you’re boy took one hell of a beating
😄
[Post edited 26 Jul 2019 20:19]

EDIT Just found it. all of 38 seconds out of a half hour PMQs. Doesn't look embarrassed to me nor particularly brow beaten.

[Post edited 26 Jul 2019 20:40]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024