Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thomas Cook. Gone 05:43 - Sep 23 with 4248 viewsloftboy

Another institution bites the dust.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Thomas Cook. Gone on 20:10 - Sep 23 with 1255 viewsLowerloftLad

staines has lost coral,debenhams and there thomas cook within 6 weeks the bookies will be the next big chain of shops to go as everything heads online and there 2 pound limit on the machines

i read a report about the highstreet in dumfries scotland they have 53 empty units and rates are so high that the landlord actually makes more money having the shop empty
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 20:14]

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Thomas Cook. Gone on 20:16 - Sep 23 with 1238 viewsKiwi76

Booked our honeymoon with them but left NZ years ago.
Shame to see another bit of history go but still think there’s a place for travel agents.
We do all the small stuff ourselves but coming over other side of the world have got better flight deals than we could find online last couple of trips.
Thomas Cook. Gone on 21:08 - Sep 23 with 1185 viewsMaggsinho

Thomas Cook. Gone on 17:30 - Sep 23 by paulparker

Totally agree
Town centres are fully of chavs , crack addicts, Turkish barbers, betting shops and pound stores
Really sad in a way that 30 years ago town centres were thriving places and a good place to meet teenage girls ( if of course you are the same age) the amount of family businesses as well that have gone it’s tragic
As for booking holidays I quite like the fact you can go in and view where your going and ask questions, pay in deposits etc in the old days you had the added bonus of chatting up the rep as well

Blimey, where do you live? All I’ve got is a Waitrose and load of coffee shops.

In between the teenage girls and chatting up the holiday rep it sounds like that element has been replaced by Tinder.
Thomas Cook. Gone on 21:47 - Sep 23 with 1149 viewsJuzzie

Shopping malls in the US are closing all over the place. Same will happen here too to our shopping centres. Maybe the likes of W12 shopping centre and even Brent Cross will go. Smaller shopping centres dotted around the place will eventually succumb and just a few huge ones left. For London that could be Westfield Shepherd’s Bush and Stratford, Bluewater and Lakeside and thats about it. Places like Elephant & Castle, Wandsworth, Lewisham, Wood Green etc. all gone.

Roads will be clogged with vans as everything will be delivered to you personally. Had an Amazon driver deliver my order at 8pm this evening, one way to do it i guess.... work evenings with less (ish) traffic.
Thomas Cook. Gone on 01:46 - Sep 24 with 1044 viewsBoston

I usually use travel agents for flights because I’m too lazy to sit in front of a screen looking for myself.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Thomas Cook. Gone on 06:33 - Sep 24 with 975 viewsGroveR

Thomas Cook. Gone on 11:04 - Sep 23 by Mick_S

@jet2tweets so firms like yours making money out of this thomas cook... Just looked at the holiday I was GOING to book and it's gone up £400

Jet2tweets
✔
@jet2tweets

Hi Gary, we are very saddened by the news of Thomas Cook. As always, our flights and holiday prices work on a live system which means prices can (and do) fluctuate based on various factors, including demand, availability etc. Thanks, Tom

Darling hold my hand.

Darling fùck my mouth doesn't quite have the same ring
Thomas Cook. Gone on 07:08 - Sep 24 with 959 viewsdistortR

the building that houses the 'next' store in our only big town is for sale. the blurb states that next pay rent in the region of £350k/pa.

Madness.
Thomas Cook. Gone on 07:52 - Sep 24 with 929 viewsWatfordR

Thomas Cook. Gone on 10:34 - Sep 23 by Toast_R

The High Street will soon be a thing of the past.

BHS gone a few years back and I understand Debenham's are is massive trouble. How long before M&S go the same way? You're going to have big purpose built shopping Centres once the hub of the high street now with nothing but boarded up units.

What's the answer here? Surely there has to be some give in Business Rates. The Government used to have a centralized pot where the the local Council's would pay all their collections to. This was changed a few years back and the Council's keep their own business rates. With the grant cuts from the Tory party inflicted on the council's, the Business rates collection has been seen as a money spinner for a lot of them and they whack all their businesses for Enforcement costs at any given opportunity. Understandable but surely that can't be right and no good in the long term.

The massive increase in business rates following property revaluations in 2017 have crucified many small independent high street businesses, particularly in smaller towns and villages.

In one of the towns where I trade, a local craft business run and owned by one person, which had traded with a small but reasonable profit for a few years, had business rates for its rented property increased by a few pounds under £500 per month. Rateable square footage exceeded the threshold at which 100% rate relief applied by 3 sq ft. Plus the government's own website stated that MSEs would not see their rates increase by any more than £50 per month whatever the rateable value of their property.

So the business owner appealed against the increased business rates charged to her. This was rejected, as according to the appeals committee, her business was not an SME! Because according to them, an MSE would have a business property where the rateable square footage would not exceed the 100% rate relief threshold. This, despite other government guidelines defining SMEs as employing less than 250 people.

So less than two years later, the outcome is that she has moved her business to a smaller property in the same town, where she doesn't have to pay rates. The property she previously rented has been empty since, so no rent for the landlord, and no business rates for the local council. Her business is now significantly smaller (to the extent that it will close once the lease on her new premises runs out), so less tax revenue for the government. In less than a year, no rent for the new landlord either.

Bottom line, business owner, local council, landlord and government all worse off. Where is the logic in any of this?
Login to get fewer ads

Thomas Cook. Gone on 08:04 - Sep 24 with 916 viewsdolcelatte

Thomas Cook. Gone on 07:52 - Sep 24 by WatfordR

The massive increase in business rates following property revaluations in 2017 have crucified many small independent high street businesses, particularly in smaller towns and villages.

In one of the towns where I trade, a local craft business run and owned by one person, which had traded with a small but reasonable profit for a few years, had business rates for its rented property increased by a few pounds under £500 per month. Rateable square footage exceeded the threshold at which 100% rate relief applied by 3 sq ft. Plus the government's own website stated that MSEs would not see their rates increase by any more than £50 per month whatever the rateable value of their property.

So the business owner appealed against the increased business rates charged to her. This was rejected, as according to the appeals committee, her business was not an SME! Because according to them, an MSE would have a business property where the rateable square footage would not exceed the 100% rate relief threshold. This, despite other government guidelines defining SMEs as employing less than 250 people.

So less than two years later, the outcome is that she has moved her business to a smaller property in the same town, where she doesn't have to pay rates. The property she previously rented has been empty since, so no rent for the landlord, and no business rates for the local council. Her business is now significantly smaller (to the extent that it will close once the lease on her new premises runs out), so less tax revenue for the government. In less than a year, no rent for the new landlord either.

Bottom line, business owner, local council, landlord and government all worse off. Where is the logic in any of this?

In most cases empty shops are only rate free for 3 months, 6 months for industrial or warehouse, after that the landlord has to pay rates hence there being a lot of rent free commercial deals available.

The big problem is that due to the lack of central government funding most councils rely on business rates for a large percentage of their income to provide services. The drive for lower taxation has caused a lot of these problems and I'm pretty sure most are unwilling to go back to paying higher personal tax rates again..

As someone said earlier, pension fund income is another bubble waiting to burst due to the vacant commercial property, the system is pretty screwed at the moment..

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Thomas Cook. Gone on 09:12 - Sep 24 with 870 viewsCamberleyR

Thomas Cook. Gone on 11:04 - Sep 23 by Mick_S

@jet2tweets so firms like yours making money out of this thomas cook... Just looked at the holiday I was GOING to book and it's gone up £400

Jet2tweets
✔
@jet2tweets

Hi Gary, we are very saddened by the news of Thomas Cook. As always, our flights and holiday prices work on a live system which means prices can (and do) fluctuate based on various factors, including demand, availability etc. Thanks, Tom

Darling hold my hand.

They're all at it. Me and Mrs Camberley were looking to take our two year old grandson (who lives with us) on his first holiday abroad to Cyprus the first or second week of October with Tui/First Choice.

When I first started looking a few weeks back the holiday I liked the look of was going for between 780-800 quid each for the week for me and Mrs CR and he was free. At the end of last week the price was £900 and yesterday when I looked, after the news that TC had gone under, it had gone up another £120. This morning when I checked, to my absolute disgust it had now gone up to £1125. Absolutely total money grabbing scum bastards capitalising on the misfortune of others. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

Tui can go and fúck themselves.

[Post edited 24 Sep 2019 9:26]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Thomas Cook. Gone on 10:04 - Sep 24 with 831 viewsisawqpratwcity

A lot of fair comment here about the internet age and them having lots of High Street premises, but I'm also seeing video of Thomas Cook-liveried planes. When even the airlines are having trouble running a profitable airline, wtf were they doing?

[Edit] First time I've had Air Asia as the banner advert on LFW. Melbourne-KL $146. Cheap!
[Post edited 24 Sep 2019 10:09]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Thomas Cook. Gone on 15:31 - Sep 24 with 660 viewsMick_S

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-49809899

What a decent bunch.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024