Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) 08:49 - Jun 12 with 6473 viewsRangersDave

Hi chaps and chapesses,
for the last year, in my spare time, i have been visiting old cinema buildings around the country, recoding how they look now both externally, and where possible, internally (some still have lots of original features).

It's a labor of love, and so far i have catalogued 411 cinemas, with around another 1300 still to do.
I have recorder 4 that are now demolished, i have 'found' 3 that were thought demolished and even found a bomb shelter untouched since WW2 under one.

If you have any penchant for 1900-1940 art deco cinemas (or flea pits as i used to know them) feel free to join my facebook page 'old cinema buildings' to discuss, or even just visit my cinema photographs at.... https://northernphotography.zenfolio.com/f504340746

I am not doing any of this for any renumeration or gain, just for the knowledge that i am saving as many as possible digitally for future generations.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 14:47 - Jun 13 with 1368 viewsMickS

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 14:41 - Jun 13 by CliveWilsonSaid

Re posting links from iPad. I find that if you click (press) and hold on the image. Then choose "open image in new tab" Then select all and copy the address bar and you should be able paste the image on here. It usually works for me although is a bit convoluted like many things on iPad.

Ok mate, should be understood next month!
Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) (n/t) on 19:25 - Jun 13 with 1323 viewsQPRVAS

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 19:27 - Jun 13 with 1319 viewsJogo

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 09:21 - Jun 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Gaumont State on Kilburn High Rd.

Became a Mecca Bingo in mid 90s but I’m old enough to remember watching the cinema there.

Great thread.

A who's who of performers appeared there, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Frank Sinatra, Dizzy Gillespie, Louis Armstrong, Bill Haley & the Comets, David Bowie to name a few....I watched ET there in the early 80's.....not as interesting.
Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 19:46 - Jun 13 with 1292 viewsBoston

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 19:27 - Jun 13 by Jogo

A who's who of performers appeared there, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Frank Sinatra, Dizzy Gillespie, Louis Armstrong, Bill Haley & the Comets, David Bowie to name a few....I watched ET there in the early 80's.....not as interesting.

...as bingo?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 23:27 - Jun 13 with 1241 viewsahoz

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 19:46 - Jun 13 by Boston

...as bingo?

Before coming to Oz, used to live in Great Western Rd, right opposite the cinema damaged in the war, then reopened as the Savoy. Sabrina was there for the reopening.
Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 16:27 - Jun 14 with 1190 viewsNorthantsHoop

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 19:04 - Jun 12 by onlyrinmoray

I lived in Northolt as a boy I remember going to South Harrow odean and seeing a Hard Days Night Where in Notholt did you live

Right by Northolt Park station.
Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 22:51 - Jun 14 with 1132 viewsBoston

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 16:27 - Jun 14 by NorthantsHoop

Right by Northolt Park station.

Nowhere near the village green or the Roman Baths then?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 11:06 - Jun 15 with 1100 viewskernowhoop

On Saturday mornings, in the early 50s, I used to watch Superman at the Odeon, Sudbury Town. I think it became a ballroom. Anyone know what it is now?
Login to get fewer ads

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 12:14 - Jun 15 with 1057 viewsRangersDave

Hi mate,

Looks like a recent demolition unfortunately.
Cinema sized spaces can be seen on google earth but nothing that looks like that distinctive cinema seems to exist.

Suspicious candidates on google earth but street view shows space.

Cheers
Dave

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 13:05 - Jun 15 with 1049 viewsQPR_Jim

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 12:14 - Jun 15 by RangersDave

Hi mate,

Looks like a recent demolition unfortunately.
Cinema sized spaces can be seen on google earth but nothing that looks like that distinctive cinema seems to exist.

Suspicious candidates on google earth but street view shows space.

Cheers
Dave

If you're talking about the Sudbury Odeon I think you're right it has been demolished.

I think I found the site, it's on the corner of Allendale Rd and Eastcote Ave. If you look on street view around there the images from 2008 and shows the original building either side with the original frontage infilled. The side bits have the distinctive windows above the shop front, possibly art deco. Was a snooker club then nursery school judging by street view, now demolished for flats.
Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 13:38 - Jun 15 with 1036 viewsR_from_afar

Great work, thanks for sharing.

The Creme de la Creme Indian restaurant in Glasgow was in a magnificent former cinema and I had one of my first dates with my now wife there. Unfortunately, that building has been demolished.
https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/history/indian-glasgow-creme-de-la-15178798

There used to be a fabulous Art Deco cinema, The Regent, in Lyme Regis, but that has been badly damaged by fire and is nowhere near reopening yet, sadly. It was a marvellous place to watch a film, such a beautiful building inside that the film was almost incidental. i went there perhaps 12 years ago and they still had a proper intermission with someone carrying ice creams in that tray thing.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 21:51 - Jun 15 with 998 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 13:38 - Jun 15 by R_from_afar

Great work, thanks for sharing.

The Creme de la Creme Indian restaurant in Glasgow was in a magnificent former cinema and I had one of my first dates with my now wife there. Unfortunately, that building has been demolished.
https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/history/indian-glasgow-creme-de-la-15178798

There used to be a fabulous Art Deco cinema, The Regent, in Lyme Regis, but that has been badly damaged by fire and is nowhere near reopening yet, sadly. It was a marvellous place to watch a film, such a beautiful building inside that the film was almost incidental. i went there perhaps 12 years ago and they still had a proper intermission with someone carrying ice creams in that tray thing.

TGI Friday did something similar to the one in Bayswater by the Royal Oak (or whatever it's called now) pub.

It's been redeveloped since I've just seen a pic but I have no idea what the shop is.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/15772/photos/157137

[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 21:52]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 08:44 - Jun 16 with 962 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 21:51 - Jun 15 by Metallica_Hoop

TGI Friday did something similar to the one in Bayswater by the Royal Oak (or whatever it's called now) pub.

It's been redeveloped since I've just seen a pic but I have no idea what the shop is.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/15772/photos/157137

[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 21:52]

It was an Ice rink last time I took my niece and nephews there.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 8:57]
Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 08:59 - Jun 16 with 953 viewsstefan54

We moved to Wembley in 1960 when I was 6 and have no memory of the Odeon (previously Majestic) but vivid memories of the ABC (previously Regal). Last film I saw there was Murder on the Orient Express in about 1975.

Found a website (cinematreasures.org/theaters) that has pictures and descriptions of both but, for some reason, cannot copy and paste it.
Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 09:08 - Jun 16 with 948 viewsstefan54

Don't forget the Walpole Cinema in Bond Street, Ealing.

As with my earlier post regarding cinemas in Wembley, I cannot copy and paste the link!

It is https://www.flickr.com/photos/oldcinemaphotos/sets/72157603268010763/
Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 09:09 - Jun 16 with 947 viewsstefan54

Somehow it did work!!!
Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 19:51 - Jun 16 with 910 viewsClive_Anderson

I remember going to this one as a kid in Grays, it still had the organ coming out of the floor during intervals then. It closed in 1988 and I'm amazed it was never demolished, currently being converted into a Wetherspoons:

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 21:45 - Jun 16 with 879 viewsMickS

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 19:51 - Jun 16 by Clive_Anderson

I remember going to this one as a kid in Grays, it still had the organ coming out of the floor during intervals then. It closed in 1988 and I'm amazed it was never demolished, currently being converted into a Wetherspoons:

Isn’t it lovely how these threads go. My wife grew up in Tilbury, her sister lived in Grays where we usually went for a drink as Tilbury was dog rough - had some wonderful nights in Grays, admittedly as we knew people there and were in local company. That photo took my wife back a few years.
Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 22:16 - Jun 16 with 863 viewskarl

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/52534

Orkneys only purpose built cinema that I can remember, we've now got one in the sports centre that doubles as a lecture theatre/arts centre and is perfectly adequate but no charm to it of course.

Off topic but a little humour, my uncles favourite story was that in the post war years cinemas in Orkney were basically put together in town halls and parish halls. His friend gained a nickname for life as the 'Dung spreader' after finding he needed to go for a sh1te after the film had started in the country hall the cinema was being held in, problem being there were no toilets so he's out in the field sorting himself out but unbeknownst to him he was sh1teing onto the end of his full length coat and proceeded to drag it along the legs and feet of all the people he had to edge past to get back to his seat!
We laughed about that whenever we got together, horrendous to have to live withbthat😂
Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 22:47 - Jun 16 with 853 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 22:16 - Jun 16 by karl

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/52534

Orkneys only purpose built cinema that I can remember, we've now got one in the sports centre that doubles as a lecture theatre/arts centre and is perfectly adequate but no charm to it of course.

Off topic but a little humour, my uncles favourite story was that in the post war years cinemas in Orkney were basically put together in town halls and parish halls. His friend gained a nickname for life as the 'Dung spreader' after finding he needed to go for a sh1te after the film had started in the country hall the cinema was being held in, problem being there were no toilets so he's out in the field sorting himself out but unbeknownst to him he was sh1teing onto the end of his full length coat and proceeded to drag it along the legs and feet of all the people he had to edge past to get back to his seat!
We laughed about that whenever we got together, horrendous to have to live withbthat😂

Great story.

Home Alone is due to arrive in Orkney soon everyone, so no spoilers for Karl please 😆
Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 23:01 - Jun 16 with 844 viewskarl

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 22:47 - Jun 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

Great story.

Home Alone is due to arrive in Orkney soon everyone, so no spoilers for Karl please 😆

We actually watched the Wicker Man last week, you'd better stay away, it's given us ideas!! 😂
[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 23:01]
Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 23:05 - Jun 16 with 838 viewsdistortR

Old Cinema buildings (shameless plug) on 23:01 - Jun 16 by karl

We actually watched the Wicker Man last week, you'd better stay away, it's given us ideas!! 😂
[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 23:01]

the circle is complete.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024