Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Route 66 13:53 - Mar 25 with 2725 viewsstowmarketrange

After watching the hairy bikers on tv riding down Route 66,it has wetted my appetite a bit more than it was already.
I’d like to do the whole thing next year,and I wondered if the good people on here had any tips,or suggestions?
How long does it take to drive without rushing around everywhere?Can you just drive until you’ve had enough for the day and just find the nearest motel?Or is it better to book somewhere and just drive to it?
Cheers.
Route 66 on 15:08 - Mar 26 with 524 viewsJuzzie

Route 66 on 14:15 - Mar 26 by stowmarketrange

We used to travel along the A69 from Newcastle to Carlisle a few times for a works football match.We used to stop at Alston for a beer break on the way to Penrith also.There was some fantastic scenery up that way.

My mum lived for a few years in Haydon Bridge and her front door was on the road that ran right through the village.... the A69. Something like 3,000 vehicles per day I think all right past the door. She left and they then built a bypass. The road through the village is much quieter, unsurprisingly, and is now the B6319.
Route 66 on 10:20 - Mar 27 with 427 viewsBklynRanger

Haven't done it but have done quite a lot of travel in the south west - so basically the section from Amarillo onwards. A lot of very out of the way areas either side of the route there so don't think you'd have any problem getting motel accommodation - which would leave you open to a few quirky interesting experiences I'm sure.

You'll know yourself from some of your travel round there but there's a hell of a lot going on north and south of the 40/Route 66 so I wouldn't want to tie myself down by having pre-planned rooms to get to. Maybe just book a nice place in Chicago and the same in LA.

And probably flogging a dead horse here but I would consider being able to camp at least now and again for flexibility. Very different from camping in this country - far drier for a start, usually more space, open fire, fresh air. Fcuking love it. And plenty of affordable equipment in one of the many Walmarts if you don't fancy packing all of it.

Anyway:
Route 66 on 10:57 - Mar 27 with 409 viewsted_hendrix

Walnut Canyon is an absolute must visit I spent a day there and If I had my way I'd still be there now.
As is Sedona, full of Hippies and beads and spliffs and New Age thinking and apparently Its where hypothetical alignments called "ley lines" intersect with one another.
I done a bit of intersecting when I was there.

The Wind Cries Mary.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Route 66 on 11:01 - Mar 27 with 402 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Route 66 on 05:07 - Mar 26 by B_Wad

San Luis Obispo is unfortunately nowhere near Route 66 but is about 200 miles away off Highway 101, the El Camino Real, which is a nice drive.
Cracks me up to see this thread. I live walking distance to Route 66. Let me know if you want any Route 66 southern California info.

I stand corrected!

We did part of Route 66 but also the drive from Vegas to LA which I think is the part where we hit SLO. Always had the Ocean on our left hand side if I remember rightly plus some mountain driving?

It was beautiful!
[Post edited 27 Mar 2021 11:10]
Route 66 on 11:05 - Mar 27 with 402 viewsswitchingcode

We booked to fly to Chicago and Return through LA so we could drive Route 66.We then watched a programme of a guy doing the route on a Harley and didn’t fancy it as most of the route has gone and the towns he stopped in were dumps until you get to Arizona.We decided to fly after a couple of nights in Chicago to Vegas and booked on a 8 hiking tour of national parks Zion Monument valley Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon.That was a great decision and for many of the following years we have fly driven the area visiting some of the original Route 66 towns like Flagstaff and Williams and been back to Sedona a few times with great old cowboy towns like Prescott and Jerome nearby.Driving through the desert becomes boring especially when a dingy town awaits for the night.
Route 66 on 15:48 - Mar 27 with 331 viewsB_Wad

Route 66 on 11:01 - Mar 27 by BazzaInTheLoft

I stand corrected!

We did part of Route 66 but also the drive from Vegas to LA which I think is the part where we hit SLO. Always had the Ocean on our left hand side if I remember rightly plus some mountain driving?

It was beautiful!
[Post edited 27 Mar 2021 11:10]

It sounds like your family headed west at Barstow, sort of like the Joads in Grapes of Wrath, instead of south on Rte. 66 down to LA.

You would have travelled through the Tehachapi and coastal ranges and wound up on 101, maybe even to Highway 1.

Highway 1 in California is spectacular with the Pacific on one side and redwood forest on the other.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024