Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Plastic 22:48 - May 3 with 2684 viewsqpr_1968

did everyone enjoy the plastic pitch.
must say there was a few classics on it.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Plastic on 16:41 - May 4 with 650 viewsTacticalR

I wonder if it was biodegradable?

Air hostess clique

Plastic on 17:06 - May 4 with 608 viewsqprphil

TBH, I saw most of my games on the mud heap, so I suppose I was used to it, and many more pitches all over the country were pretty bad at some stage in the season. When the plastic went down, so did my enjoyment of watching QPR playing football on it, the bounce was horrendous, many players wore tights to help stave off burns. Plastic pitches have now gone on to a higher level, but give me grass anytime.
Plastic on 17:13 - May 4 with 589 viewsthemodfather

well in today's game players slip endlessly and never a word about the pitch or boots! astroturf was worth a try even if we had boing boing games but qpr played well on it and ball to feet and accurate passing was key, also no games postponed meant we were once the only game on motd....and 6000 turned up v notts count friendly, we won 3-0 as most games were snowed off.
Plastic on 17:43 - May 4 with 561 viewsPinnerPaul

Worth saying that the 4G pitches now are as different to the Omniturf as the Omniturf was to the mud baths of the day!
Plastic on 17:30 - May 5 with 438 viewsCiderwithRsie

Plastic on 11:16 - May 4 by CamberleyR

The pitch at the SW6 cesspit in those days was atrocious. I've just finished watching the 1976/77 Big Match Revisited on ITV Hub and towards the end of that season because the filth were eventually to get promoted from the second division, they were showing quite a few of their games.

Down the middle of the pitch from one goal mouth to the other was a grass free zone. Here's an example (apologies in advance):

The pitch where Robbo scored from the halfway line was also a shocker:

The City Ground was also pretty bad.

I remember a few blokes in that Milk/League Cup QF singing "We've got more grass than you" which I thought was hilarious. The middle of the pitch was a wasteland of mud from the word go and I always thought that may have been part of the reason Robbo thought to try the lob rather than actually run with the ball through the swamp.

It was in people's minds as that tw"t Ken Bates had claimed the plastic pitch for them not winning the first game.
Plastic on 17:35 - May 5 with 434 viewsCiderwithRsie

On the OP: it was pretty terrible really, but I was definitely in the camp of people who said it was better than the appalling Somme battlefield thing we had before.

At least the plastic rewarded you for playing the ball to feet, whereas the quagmires up and down the country penalised you for that and rewarded you for hoofing it up to the big CF. I think that was a big part of why English football was so behind continental teams at the time and I don't think it's a surprise that we put it in when Venables was manager and we were a progressive side. (Oldham and even Luton were also quite decent passing teams when they had their plastic pieces too.)
Plastic on 18:24 - May 5 with 405 viewsPinnerPaul

I remember seeing Stan Bowles talking to Gerry Francis before L Cup S/F home leg v Aston Villa.

Stan booted the ball high up into the night sky, when it came down it just stuck in the mud, didn't bounce an inch!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024