Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion 12:05 - Jan 4 with 12000 viewsextratimeR

It's been mentioned on here before, but if we don't go up this year then next season looks bloody nigh on impossible.

Newcastle, Burnley, Norwich, plus probably West Brom, a reawakened Nottingham Forest and Middlesbrough, and possibly Sheffield United, plus add in a bit of er Sunderland, and it looks like a tricky season, is FFP temporarily suspended?

If it is then it might be time for the club to go for the extra two or three that might get us into play-offs.

( Particularly with the possible effects of AFCON
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 14:00 - Jan 11 with 633 viewsPinnerPaul

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 23:06 - Jan 10 by Stainrod

Apologies that post was WAY too long and Clive would be fully justified in banning me for it...

There would be no justification in banning one of the best things I have read on here for ages!
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 17:00 - Jan 11 with 543 viewsNewBee

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 17:30 - Jan 7 by stainrods_elbow

There is absolutely no way our fanbase would magically grow just because we had a shiny new ground with a 30K + capacity - you're living in cuckoo land, sir. Our 'core' support has been around 10-15k for decades, and would stay so. Even in the Championship-tilting side of 1975-76, we averaged around 22-23k, and our mid-week European games were more poorly attended still - Ron Phillips wrote an editorial in the programme about it at the time - 21k vs FC Cologne if memory serves. For that reason alone, as well as others I have severally documented, both fiscal and soulful, we could do a lot worse than staying at HQ.

I understand your attachment to LR and agree that a new ground won't "magically" generate vastly bigger crowds etc.

But unless LR can be rebuilt completely - and I can't see it being financially viable, even if PP were received - then what other option do you have but to move?

For the older LR becomes, the more costly it becomes just to keep it in usable shape. And even that cannot work forever.

Meanwhile, the old-school supporters who love LR for it's history are getting ever older, while it becomes ever harder to replace them with the next generation of fans.

And why do I believe that? Because Bees faced exactly that dilemma with Griffin Park. But the amazing thing is, virtually all of those nostalgic old-timers who yearned to stay where we were have now been converted to the BCS. In fact I've yet to meet a single one who still thinks we were better off at GP - quite the opposite.

Meanwhile, all the new, younger fans, especially the families, rave about the whole thing.

Of course, we were helped by two things. First, the size, design and location (esp) was crucial to gaining acceptance. Had we gone eg to an identikit 30k bowl out by Heathrow, that would have been a disaster.

Second, we're currently on a roll playing-wise, which of course has to help enormously.

But the BCS will likely have to do us for the next 50-odd years, during which time we'll possibly spend as much time in League One/Two as in the PL, while probably spending more time in the Championship than both.

But I'm fine with that, because in another 30 or 40 years the present younger generation will by then be waxing lyrical for the BCS in the way my generation were for GP!

Besides which, I'll be long gone before then!
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 17:20 - Jan 11 with 517 viewshantssi

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 17:00 - Jan 11 by NewBee

I understand your attachment to LR and agree that a new ground won't "magically" generate vastly bigger crowds etc.

But unless LR can be rebuilt completely - and I can't see it being financially viable, even if PP were received - then what other option do you have but to move?

For the older LR becomes, the more costly it becomes just to keep it in usable shape. And even that cannot work forever.

Meanwhile, the old-school supporters who love LR for it's history are getting ever older, while it becomes ever harder to replace them with the next generation of fans.

And why do I believe that? Because Bees faced exactly that dilemma with Griffin Park. But the amazing thing is, virtually all of those nostalgic old-timers who yearned to stay where we were have now been converted to the BCS. In fact I've yet to meet a single one who still thinks we were better off at GP - quite the opposite.

Meanwhile, all the new, younger fans, especially the families, rave about the whole thing.

Of course, we were helped by two things. First, the size, design and location (esp) was crucial to gaining acceptance. Had we gone eg to an identikit 30k bowl out by Heathrow, that would have been a disaster.

Second, we're currently on a roll playing-wise, which of course has to help enormously.

But the BCS will likely have to do us for the next 50-odd years, during which time we'll possibly spend as much time in League One/Two as in the PL, while probably spending more time in the Championship than both.

But I'm fine with that, because in another 30 or 40 years the present younger generation will by then be waxing lyrical for the BCS in the way my generation were for GP!

Besides which, I'll be long gone before then!

Now that’s a great post!
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 17:40 - Jan 11 with 486 viewswestberksr

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 23:06 - Jan 10 by Stainrod

Apologies that post was WAY too long and Clive would be fully justified in banning me for it...

same age and thinking; not TOO long at all
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 12:52 - Jan 12 with 375 viewsstantheman10

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 17:53 - Jan 7 by QPROslo

Agree with that 100%. I have no understanding of why any QPR supporter doesn't want to be back in the PL and watching us like last time beating Chelsea twice, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and giving Man City big frights also twice, plus others.

You're obviously not referring to the last season we were in the PL!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024