Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion 12:05 - Jan 4 with 11996 viewsextratimeR

It's been mentioned on here before, but if we don't go up this year then next season looks bloody nigh on impossible.

Newcastle, Burnley, Norwich, plus probably West Brom, a reawakened Nottingham Forest and Middlesbrough, and possibly Sheffield United, plus add in a bit of er Sunderland, and it looks like a tricky season, is FFP temporarily suspended?

If it is then it might be time for the club to go for the extra two or three that might get us into play-offs.

( Particularly with the possible effects of AFCON
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 14:21 - Jan 4 with 2734 viewscharmr

Last time we ventured to the promised land we lost a lot of long term fans with our approach. Not saying they would do it again however you need better players and will come for the money first.

Got 2 Norwich mates jumping up and down last year and now can’t even watch the games. If you do stay up as promoted team it seems the next year you get figured out.

Oh Premier league, so much to answer for. (Ref for older fans with impeccable music taste)
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 14:24]
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 15:08 - Jan 4 with 2677 viewsStainrod

Respectfully, think any fan who is worrying about the Premier League would be better off worrying about how we will deal with he WBA high press in our next league game.

Since pre-season I have thought we would almost certainly make the play-offs and almost certainly fail to gain promotion - nothing fundamentally has happened to change that view. I don't think there are six better side than us in this division but I do think there are probably three better (though possibly not by a huge margin).

Therefore think the more relevant question is: in the close season will we sell several of our five bankable assets (Dickie, Willock, Chair, Dieng, Dykes) for good money and replace them with even better players, while giving the board some money back for running costs?

We are working on the Brentford model (which is a more sophisticated re-working of an earlier QPR model, without the sports science and the stats). In the couple of years before going up Brentford sold three players for more than £20m each, plus a dozen or so players for more than £3/4m. Have we even got the Ollie Watkins to be sold to bring in the dosh to buy the next Ivan Toney?

Anything can happen in football, for sure, and after bad runs neither Fulham or Bournemouth look as all-conquering as they did earlier in the season, but we are at least two years further back in the cycle of where Brentford were when they went up.

Not to say we can't do it and arguably they took longer than they should, but on current budgets we would be punching massively if we went up this season.
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 15:25 - Jan 4 with 2659 viewscharmr

I don’t think we are working on the Brentford model. Their owner and also Brightons are more academically,mathematically and statistically inclined and applying it into a business world not just a football one. They are playing the odds heavily stacked in their favor. We are trying to do it more in a player development role.

I think back to the standard of players we had under venables playing in the same division and look at players now in the same division it’s incomparable. Definitely a conundrum.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 15:28]
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 16:00 - Jan 4 with 2606 viewsStainrod

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 15:25 - Jan 4 by charmr

I don’t think we are working on the Brentford model. Their owner and also Brightons are more academically,mathematically and statistically inclined and applying it into a business world not just a football one. They are playing the odds heavily stacked in their favor. We are trying to do it more in a player development role.

I think back to the standard of players we had under venables playing in the same division and look at players now in the same division it’s incomparable. Definitely a conundrum.

Interesting question of how closely we are following the Brentford model (apologies to the OP - not deliberately hijacking his thread).

I read that Warbs quit Brentford precisely because he didn't want recruitment to become entirely about statistics.

But also read somewhere that our current head of recruitment is basically a data analyst.

Ideally you prob want a mixture of data and football expertise which I THINK is what we have but tbh if had to choose between the two, would massively tilt towards data.

Brentford and Brighton have taken the statistical analysis used by betting companies and applied it to running football clubs. The results are there for all to see, two clubs who by historical standards are even smaller than us yet now in a higher division. There is a reason why gambling companies tend to make fortunes! While Brentford were following this model we were allowing Mark Hughes's agent to "recommend" eight players (from memory) who he also happened to represent. In any other industry some people probably would have gone to jail for some of the deals done at Rangers over the last decade or so.

Anyway, either way recruitment has certainly improved massively since those dark days of Hughes, Redknapp etc.
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 16:05 - Jan 4 with 2602 viewsswitchingcode

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 15:25 - Jan 4 by charmr

Def not following the Brentford model as you correctly say both football clubs are heavily engrossed in their businesses.
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 16:20 - Jan 4 with 2568 viewsgazza1

If we are promoted and I want it for the Club........we will be run 'proper' with the 'off field' people we have at the Club. I think that we would have a chance of getting into the Champions League places actually and if Dykes doesn't get sold to Man City we got chances of winning the dam thing that we should have won all those years ago!!!!.
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 16:39 - Jan 4 with 2555 viewskropotkin41

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 12:43 - Jan 4 by dmm

Can I just say the Championship is more fun...?

This.

I am sorry, but I am really ambivalent about promotion. I know it's where the money is and all that, but I honestly wouldn't mind us being super competitive in the Championship, maybe even have the odd cup run, have the new training ground set up in place, all before we go through the tribulations and temptations of that other league.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 12:22 - Jan 5 with 2340 viewsPinnerPaul

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 13:45 - Jan 4 by BrianMcCarthy

I heard one of my favourites a few weeks ago watching my Nephew's Under-14 game.

The oppo got a free just outside the box and their coach shouted on "make the keeper work!"

Oh there's a million from grassroots.

There's the misplaced optimism that one team or particular player usually doesn't want to actually be there

"HE DOESN'T WANT IT" is screamed if the ball comes near said unfortunate!
Login to get fewer ads

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 12:48 - Jan 5 with 2280 viewsCiderwithRsie

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 16:39 - Jan 4 by kropotkin41

This.

I am sorry, but I am really ambivalent about promotion. I know it's where the money is and all that, but I honestly wouldn't mind us being super competitive in the Championship, maybe even have the odd cup run, have the new training ground set up in place, all before we go through the tribulations and temptations of that other league.

Same.

I want us to go up this year (or any year) for the money and because right now I think we'd be worthy of it. It's what the players are trying to achieve and as a supporter I, well, support them.

But if we don't and next year is very competitive: fine. That's what we like about the Championship and don't like about the Premiership, isn't it?

So long as we are competitive and we haven't shot our bolt on "now or never" purchases of Johansen and Austin. But increasingly it looks like we're making very canny long-term improvements with Dozzell, Dunne etc.
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 13:23 - Jan 5 with 2213 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Can't stand the Premier League (let's face it, it's already over this season as City won't drop enough points against the less rich teams) but I want us to go up. The Championship is far more exciting but ultimately you've got to aim for promotion, even if the prize is a poisoned chalice. This season's Championship is more open than ever - even the top sides have been inconsistent - so we have a fantastic opportunity. I hope we make a few astute signings this month with that in mind.
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 13:56 - Jan 5 with 2189 viewshantssi

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 12:22 - Jan 5 by PinnerPaul

Oh there's a million from grassroots.

There's the misplaced optimism that one team or particular player usually doesn't want to actually be there

"HE DOESN'T WANT IT" is screamed if the ball comes near said unfortunate!

This!
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/football-cliches/2013/oct/31/talking-language-
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 13:57 - Jan 5 with 2184 viewsstevec

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 12:53 - Jan 4 by stantheman10

The Premiership is a poison chalice. We go up and we'd probably have to spend a fortune to upgrade the ground to PL standards and then we'd need 5 or 6 decent players to avoid humiliation and still get stuffed nearly every week and then get relegated. What is the point? In all reality I'd rather us be just above mid table in the Championship and go all out to try and win the EFL Cup.

It’s about time the owners put up or shut up, so if a season in the Premier means they have to improve the ground then I’d settle for that as we are going to be sat in it for at least the rest of this decade.

All well and good for those who don’t attend LR very often to knock promotion back, your seat at home is no doubt far more comfortable than mine.
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 14:16 - Jan 5 with 2140 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 13:57 - Jan 5 by stevec

It’s about time the owners put up or shut up, so if a season in the Premier means they have to improve the ground then I’d settle for that as we are going to be sat in it for at least the rest of this decade.

All well and good for those who don’t attend LR very often to knock promotion back, your seat at home is no doubt far more comfortable than mine.

I don't think that the required PL improvements would improve legroom. Aren't they only aimed at media and floodlighting issues, I thought?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 14:19 - Jan 5 with 2132 viewsMatch82

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 14:21 - Jan 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Agree with that, Northants.

The last three seasons have been mostly brilliant. I'm happy just enjoy it as it happens.

Not at all bothered whether we go up or not, but if we do I trust the club to handle it correctly.

I was thinking about this the other day. When was the last time we had 3 (mostly) enjoyable years in a row? The 90s?
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 14:31 - Jan 5 with 2110 viewsJuzzie

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 14:06 - Jan 4 by switchingcode

I have posted touching on this,as far as match day experience it’s strange as after 50 odd years going to GP now going into a new stadium and very new division.I have a great seat in what is a fantastic stadium for us,I’ve been to Spurs new stadium which is unbelievable and so are most in the PL.The trouble is going to a new stadium some of your mates sit with you but many more go to different areas there is also complete change in pre match pub choices and the ones on the river are different gravy.
I’m in the minority I expect but one season will do me.

It's a sad indictment of the PL and football in general that for clubs like us that one season will do. And I get the sentiment.
It shouldn't be like that. I remember when QPR were there for over a dozen seasons and apart from a couple of wobbly ones we held our own on the whole. I never felt that we were inferior to any of the clubs bar maybe Liverpool and Man U. Certainly not Arsenal, Villa, Spurs or West Ham etc.

Along with the likes of Wimbledon, Luton, Oxford, Oldham and so on we should we all want to be there long term and rub shoulders with the hoi-poloi as equals.

Of course, Sky and '92 killed all that and I think that was the plan. The so-called big clubs, or clubs that were maybe sleeping giants but with big grounds, were ripe for sugar daddy's to come in and transform them as there were no rules against that. FFP came in about 15-20 years too late has now just accelerated that gap even further. 'Happy' outcome (for the FA, Sky etc) or designed?
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 14:43 - Jan 5 with 2080 viewsNorthernr

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 13:57 - Jan 5 by stevec

"It's time for the owners to put up or shut up". Steve, they put £1.5m a month in to keep the club running as it is.
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 15:28 - Jan 5 with 2012 viewsted_hendrix

Man City disappear over the horizon whilst Norwich rapidly disappear down Delia's bottom and vanish into the Norfolk foul drainage system.
Spurs fans continue to select their own specially sourced half-time cheeses.
It's all so exciting.
I drove past Notts County's ground a few weeks ago, what a sad sight.
Never mind eh?

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 17:51 - Jan 5 with 1853 viewsA40Bosh

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 12:53 - Jan 4 by stantheman10

The Premiership is a poison chalice. We go up and we'd probably have to spend a fortune to upgrade the ground to PL standards and then we'd need 5 or 6 decent players to avoid humiliation and still get stuffed nearly every week and then get relegated. What is the point? In all reality I'd rather us be just above mid table in the Championship and go all out to try and win the EFL Cup.

Agreed.

People will call this lack of ambition, but IMHO the only time we really want to go up is when we find ourselves having brought through, developed and retained enough talent throughout the first 11/18 that we walk the Championship because we are now far too good for it, and then going up does not have to result in a season of getting spanked most weeks by 15/16 of the Prem teams and we only spend a little money on improving the squad. Otherwise spunk it all away on additions to the squad that might not bed in and we are back to where we were in 2014.

Were we to go up this year via the playoff you just know that next term there will be pockets of fans in all stands and scattered across the forum who very quickly forget where we have come from these past 2-3 years and by October are screaming at Warbs to "Sort it out" and "Warbs isn't good enough for the Prem". Patience it seems goes out the window very quickly when things are not all rosy after just a couple of weeks

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 18:00 - Jan 5 with 1841 viewsstevec

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 14:43 - Jan 5 by Northernr

"It's time for the owners to put up or shut up". Steve, they put £1.5m a month in to keep the club running as it is.

Fair comment. I just think, based on three seasons of premier league football during the last decade, the owners might need an element of coercion before they spend anything on improving supporters facilities irrespective of whether they are putting £1.5 mill a month in or sitting on £150 mill from a period in the top division.

That said, Brian may well be right that any improvements enforced may not even relate to the actual seating!

I’d happily take a Norwich scenario if I thought the club would make solid moves on ground infrastructure, wherever that may be.
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 18:23 - Jan 5 with 1802 viewsA40Bosh

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 18:00 - Jan 5 by stevec

Fair comment. I just think, based on three seasons of premier league football during the last decade, the owners might need an element of coercion before they spend anything on improving supporters facilities irrespective of whether they are putting £1.5 mill a month in or sitting on £150 mill from a period in the top division.

That said, Brian may well be right that any improvements enforced may not even relate to the actual seating!

I’d happily take a Norwich scenario if I thought the club would make solid moves on ground infrastructure, wherever that may be.

But Steve realistically if we are getting pumped 5-0 every week for a year and then it happens again 2 year after, are you and thousands of others going to be happy to go there every week and smile and say that although we are getting hammered don't worry cos at least our seat has a new cushion on it?

The seating issue is not just financial its the limitation of the archaic infrastructure and would more than likely have to result in what Fulham are only now themselves doing currently - and our problem is that we just don't have the footprint to do anything meaningful about making more room without reducing capacity.

Therefore i honestly believe is LBHF do not give us access to Linford Christie, then QPR board will moves us out of the borough before any substantial rebuild of LR ever gets signed off

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 18:38 - Jan 5 with 1775 viewsdistortR

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 13:44 - Jan 4 by PinnerPaul

Gives me a chance to vent my feelings (again!) over an old football cliché

"You have to take your chances in this division"

I'm still searching for the competition that gives you a goal for missing!

Aussie rules, basically.
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 23:25 - Jan 5 with 1612 viewsjoe90

Missing out on promotion this season won’t be the end of the world. If we can get ourselves in the same position next season then we know the clubs strategy is working.

My fear about getting promoted is if we get absolutely smashed, sack the manager and end up back in the championship with a new squad of players who have no desire to play championship football, thus starting another cycle of rebuilding.

If we do get promoted I hope that we stick with Warburton and use the extra money to invest in players.

I’m not convinced moving to a new stadium is what we need. I know Hoos talks about lost revenue outside of match days but I just don’t believe we’ll be able to generate significant income from other activities to justify the expenditure on a new ground. I don’t see any evidence that we would see more fans at a new ground either. We have to invest in player recruitment above everything else. If the football continues to improve and we see season ticket sales increase to the point where we have a waiting list then we should look into a new ground.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 23:27]
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 00:30 - Jan 6 with 1570 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 13:45 - Jan 4 by BrianMcCarthy

I heard one of my favourites a few weeks ago watching my Nephew's Under-14 game.

The oppo got a free just outside the box and their coach shouted on "make the keeper work!"

Before my daughter tore her ACL in October she took almost all the free kicks in good positions for her team and without fail her coach would shout out " get it on frame " which was strange because it was a signal to their keeper IMO .
I selfishly want QPR to get promoted so I can watch then in HD on my Premier League package every Saturday or Sunday instead of sitting through Burnley and Norwich etc just to watch them getting crushed.
It seems like a lifetime since we went down last time after going up with all that excitement through Bobby Zamora so I say lets get promoted
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 09:34 - Jan 6 with 1412 viewsStanFan

The football world has gone mad.

I am hoping for promotion for 2 reasons. Apart from the obvious one of wanting success, the club could use the cash injection. It is very likely that we'd get relegated straight away but that's ok provided that we manage it well. We would then be back where we are now but with bigger budgets.

If we don't get promoted this season there is a risk that we'll lose some of our best players and have to rebuild a bit. That carries its own risks as we can't guarantee that every replacement will be a success.
Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 11:03 - Jan 6 with 1315 viewsfrancisbowles

Next Season- Nightmare Promotion on 23:25 - Jan 5 by joe90

Missing out on promotion this season won’t be the end of the world. If we can get ourselves in the same position next season then we know the clubs strategy is working.

My fear about getting promoted is if we get absolutely smashed, sack the manager and end up back in the championship with a new squad of players who have no desire to play championship football, thus starting another cycle of rebuilding.

If we do get promoted I hope that we stick with Warburton and use the extra money to invest in players.

I’m not convinced moving to a new stadium is what we need. I know Hoos talks about lost revenue outside of match days but I just don’t believe we’ll be able to generate significant income from other activities to justify the expenditure on a new ground. I don’t see any evidence that we would see more fans at a new ground either. We have to invest in player recruitment above everything else. If the football continues to improve and we see season ticket sales increase to the point where we have a waiting list then we should look into a new ground.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 23:27]

'I don’t see any evidence that we would see more fans at a new ground either.'

Well if we can't attract new fans the club will eventually fold. Hoos is always saying that first time visitors to our stadium don't return because the facilities are so poor.

£1.5 million a month into the club is not sustainable. It has to end sometime and we need to make a decision fairly soon on the future of where we play, as building a stadium is a fairly long term project.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024