Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it a generational thing? 19:29 - Sep 1 with 2675 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Ok, talking with my son about why we are not signing a striker i.e nothing available in our price range etc etc. The response I get ranged from "the board have no ambition" to "Beale is a disgrace if he says he is happy".
I have explained so many times about FFP that I'm bored of the same discussion. But I'm told "you older supporters have no ambition the younger fans do".
I dont remember being like this when I was young. I remember being excited when we signed Andy Gray and the Spackman for £500k. What has happened?............
Is it a generational thing? on 19:36 - Sep 1 with 2620 viewsqueensparker

FIFA, Sky, Twitter, Football Manager, all the things that modern youth experience football through are obsessed with transfers. Plus today’s football fans have the attention span of 1/2 games (not just kids), lurching from euphoria to crisis.

We really could do with a striker though! If the money was there we’ve got a v good looking squad this season
Is it a generational thing? on 19:37 - Sep 1 with 2619 viewsQPRJohnny

Not knocking them but I think it is generational. Was talking to a Forest fan about this today. Younger fans not here / dont remember when the hammer came down re FFP. Not here where we were in Div 1 and not here when we had bucket collections.

Thats ok. the rember us with Austin and Mackie and fighting valiently to stay up. We will get there. Beale is a very very good manager and I was someone who wanted Warburtin to stay. I dont think we will go up this seaon and I dont think we are ready. We need to compete. Show that we cab make player better and sell them for profit.

We need to Brentford it.
Is it a generational thing? on 19:42 - Sep 1 with 2581 viewsaston_hoop

If thats the case, there are a lot of teenagers on LFW because I've seen those same things suggested on here plenty of times.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Is it a generational thing? on 20:07 - Sep 1 with 2492 viewsSouthallRanger

Is it a generational thing? on 19:42 - Sep 1 by aston_hoop

If thats the case, there are a lot of teenagers on LFW because I've seen those same things suggested on here plenty of times.

Agreed. Not just the young. Older supporters who should have more level heads are the same. I blame many social issues and casual drugs 😀

Obvious sky and premier league era has changed this. So has external money. And to be inward looking our own eras of “amazing transfer windows” under hughes and joorabchan and then the redknapp days. It’s like a drug in itself. Some supporters now expect no less. Short memories with ffp.
Is it a generational thing? on 21:00 - Sep 1 with 2339 viewsjoe90

I caught a bit of the sky sports deadline day coverage at my mother in-laws (I don’t have sky) and thought the coverage was absolutely ridiculous. It could have been written by Chris Morris and Armondo Iannucci, for uninitiated like myself, it seemed like a parody. I was expecting them to cut to ‘breaking news’ from the Forest training ground, where Peter O’Hanra-Hanrahan had an exclusive interview with the grounds man who had seen a car pull into the car park earlier. That was literally the level.

That is basically the frame of reference which is reinforced by social media, that a lot of football fans have. The actual real life context doesn’t even come into it. You’ve just got to repeat the same few stock comments and cut and paste your clubs name where appropriate.

This will sound really rose tinted and I appreciate this was only my experience, but growing up watching football in the 90s seemed like a much purer experience. I remember feeling really excited by football, but over the course of a few generations I think that excitement has been replaced by entitlement. I don’t know why that is or if it’s even true. Perhaps footballs got worse? I don’t know because I’m more interested in QPR first and foremost and the rest of football is just a passing interest. My dream for QPR isn’t to be in the premier league, I just want the club to be competitive at whatever level they’re at and to be sustainable. I think the joyous response from Newcastle fans when they were bought out was the embodiment of everything that’s wrong with modern football fans - baseless sense of entitlement and complete indifference to the blood money paying for it.
Is it a generational thing? on 21:20 - Sep 1 with 2267 viewsHooping_Mad

He can see we need one, but apparently our ex-England international striker DOF disagrees. Personally I agree with the boy on this one. Not an age thing, more common sense.

Ipswich only had to find some Jaffa cakes and some loose change behind the 'undisclosed fee' sofa and we could have looked, apparently.

I can think of two reasons;

1) the way they finance the squad is being managed in sections ie no Bonne out then nobody comes in, otherwise we do without doubt lack ambition to proceed with the options available.

2) Saint Mick of Beale has decided we can work around the problem, by playing one up top and investing personal fortune into the women's underwear & tattooing industries and then using Lyndon as a giant mobile hoarding.

nothing else makes sense.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Is it a generational thing? on 12:26 - Sep 2 with 1953 viewsHooping_Mad

Davie, it was a joke dude, why not counter with an intelligent comment?

Is it a generational thing? on 12:39 - Sep 2 with 1922 viewsslmrstid

I'm not sure if its quite the same at clubs lower down the order but looking at it from a QPR perspective - we are now 15 years since the Tango & Cash takeover of 2007 - those QPR fans who are now late teens/early 20s would have been toddlers/really young kids back then.

So arguably there is now a whole generation of QPR fans who have been used to the club throwing money around pillar to post every six months in summer and winter transfer windows - remember those early years from the winter of 2007/08 when we signed loads, and carried on doing so every 6 months and in some respects have never really stopped.

Even though you can argue we've been in an austerity period since our last Premier relegation in 2015, we have still quite frequently been spraying money around every 6 months signing more players.

So when for the generation that use social media etc and all the other influences mentioned elsewhere (SSN, FIFA, FM etc), something is happening for which they have never seen before, it seems to result in much teeth gnashing.

These kids literally weren't around for that horrendous 1997-2001 period that many of us who are 30+ do remember still and are probably haunted by.

And for what its worth, there is much teeth gnashing up here in Leicester around lack of signings and losing games and everything is Brendan Rodgers fault and he must go and that will solve everything. The owners currently are getting off scot-free simply because everyone loves them still due to the Premier League win/helicopter crash/FA Cup win, but I suspect they'll turn on them eventually too.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2022 12:40]
Login to get fewer ads

Is it a generational thing? on 12:52 - Sep 2 with 1871 viewsTheChef

Is it a generational thing? on 12:26 - Sep 2 by Hooping_Mad

Davie, it was a joke dude, why not counter with an intelligent comment?

Unfortunately sarcasm doesn't come across very well on message boards.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Is it a generational thing? on 12:58 - Sep 2 with 1856 viewsHooping_Mad

The ecomomy of scale doesn't help any of the lower division clubs lets be honest. When the deadline day dead page list every league transfer as 'undisclosed' something has changed in the game it fair to say.

Check it out: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/transfers

Perhaps these fee's should be disclosed in future not as a metric of ambition but because it's now the norm to hide these details from the people who pay in to these clubs.

The yanks wouldn't wear such a secretive system, why do we?

Is it a generational thing? on 15:44 - Sep 2 with 1690 viewsderbyhoop

It's not helped by Sky's obsession with Transfer Deadline Day.
They laud the clubs who try to bankrupt themselves. And slag off those who have a budget as unambitious.
It all gets magnified by pimply youths on social media to the detriment of the game as a whole.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Is it a generational thing? on 16:57 - Sep 2 with 1632 viewsterryb

Is it a generational thing? on 12:58 - Sep 2 by Hooping_Mad

The ecomomy of scale doesn't help any of the lower division clubs lets be honest. When the deadline day dead page list every league transfer as 'undisclosed' something has changed in the game it fair to say.

Check it out: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/transfers

Perhaps these fee's should be disclosed in future not as a metric of ambition but because it's now the norm to hide these details from the people who pay in to these clubs.

The yanks wouldn't wear such a secretive system, why do we?

"The yanks wouldn't wear such a secretive system, why do we?"

I'm yet to see any company displaying the cost price of their purchases. Why should football clubs be any different?
Is it a generational thing? on 17:12 - Sep 2 with 1600 viewsHooping_Mad

Is it a generational thing? on 16:57 - Sep 2 by terryb

"The yanks wouldn't wear such a secretive system, why do we?"

I'm yet to see any company displaying the cost price of their purchases. Why should football clubs be any different?

As thing stand they shouldn't. However it does help cover up incredible mis-management though which is why FFP exists. So we have a circular argument in essence.

Football clubs 'in general' I concede, do not operate at a profit and are also structured in various ways to hide there financial dealings, see Watford and Forrest.

The pro's of a little transparency out weigh the cons for me.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024