Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Haircuts. 20:57 - Sep 9 with 4746 viewsMick_S

We were recently at a wedding in the Wycombe area. My Friday day off was suddenly cancelled so it was a last minute find a barber a couple of hours before the Saturday celebration. Found one.
£23 feckin quid for the beggar to tell me he couldn’t deal with my double crown - he said I had a treble. That’s my bald patch mate - they are meeting.

£23?

Six chairs on the go, I’d assume for most of the day.

He said I was really nice and gave me a lollipop. Still on the microwave.

What’s your best haircut story?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Haircuts. on 14:54 - Sep 10 with 1162 viewstkqpr

Old Barber in town call Ron Short ... bald as a coot.

He always starts by saying "Are you busy at work Tim? or have you still got the same job?"

Says it to everyone and all the blokes sat waiting on the benches giggle and smirk but they know it will be their turn in the chair soon
Haircuts. on 15:04 - Sep 10 with 1125 viewsSydneyRs

Being bald has its advantages. DIY, zero cost, no small talk.
Haircuts. on 15:06 - Sep 10 with 1117 viewsSydneyRs

Haircuts. on 22:06 - Sep 9 by hubble

I used to know Gerry Francis's hairdresser. Well, in fact she used to cut my hair too. The mullet was of course a big responsibility, but he clearly trusted her. During his second tenure as manager, I was so fed up with him playing 5 across the back, I asked her if she would hand him a note, next time she saw him. I scrawled 4-4-2 on a piece of paper and gave it to her.

Sadly, she binned it.

[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 22:10]

Francis had a hairdresser???
Haircuts. on 15:26 - Sep 10 with 1086 viewsCLAREMAN1995

$18 here for mens haircut and I always leave them $5 so thats basically for 5 minutes work.I never get it washed or use any products just air dry.
I reached these shores in 1987 and it was triple didgit heat so my brother took me to a barber .I had no idea what they did but he shaved above both ears and my neck as well as very short .
Next day I was outside for most of it (no sunscreen of course ) and I got the most horrific sunburn in all 3 spots .I could not sleep on any side or my back for a week it was miserable.
35 years of sissors cut only since, a hard lesson learned .
Haircuts. on 16:05 - Sep 10 with 1055 viewsRamseyR

In my pyschobilly days following the Meteors and nights at the Clarendon Klub foot, I had a razor sharp flat top with number 1 on the sides. Got it cut at Tony's in Harrow every fortnight. Bacon sandwiches often on offer, and Jack Geach the teddy boy tailors, was a door or two away.
Haircuts. on 16:36 - Sep 10 with 1035 viewsPunteR

Haircuts. on 14:21 - Sep 10 by hantssi

“Square or taper at the back sir!”
a) I’ve no idea what that means, and
b) I doesn’t actually matter as I can’t see it!!

Taper means where your hairline starts around the back and sides do you want it blended from no hair to hair gradually . Its otherwise known as a fade.
Square is when the hairline at the back is cut so you can see where the hairline profile starts.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Haircuts. on 18:26 - Sep 10 with 981 viewsBoston

For years I had it buzzed on the sides with a flat army type top, but as I got older I realized that my full head of non grey hair was becoming a sought after commodity..,so scissors only, more of Gary Bannister these days.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Haircuts. on 18:31 - Sep 10 with 975 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Haircuts. on 14:21 - Sep 10 by hantssi

“Square or taper at the back sir!”
a) I’ve no idea what that means, and
b) I doesn’t actually matter as I can’t see it!!

It's nice to have the choice! Generally speaking if the nape of your neck is hairy opt for square otherwise tapered is a more natural look.
Login to get fewer ads

Haircuts. on 18:37 - Sep 10 with 968 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Shout out to Supercut on the Uxbridge Road in West Ealing. £10 for a haircut. Nero and his brother Hike are lovely fellas, very patient and know what they're doing.
Haircuts. on 18:43 - Sep 10 with 967 viewsPaddyhoops

Mrs Hoops was a hairdresser in a previous life.
Saves a few quid but If I get a shit one I can’t criticise.
Haircuts. on 19:03 - Sep 10 with 953 viewsBklynRanger

Haircuts. on 18:26 - Sep 10 by Boston

For years I had it buzzed on the sides with a flat army type top, but as I got older I realized that my full head of non grey hair was becoming a sought after commodity..,so scissors only, more of Gary Bannister these days.

The guy I was expounding about earlier was scissors only - he and I agreed on that.

He had a lawyer customer who called him 'the golden scissors', came in every week but refused to allow him to talk - would require certain CDs to be played during the haircut which Rosolino would wave around angrily to me from time to time.

Ideally a hair cut is more than a hair cut, is what I think I took from all of this.
Haircuts. on 20:52 - Sep 10 with 894 viewsBoston

Haircuts. on 19:03 - Sep 10 by BklynRanger

The guy I was expounding about earlier was scissors only - he and I agreed on that.

He had a lawyer customer who called him 'the golden scissors', came in every week but refused to allow him to talk - would require certain CDs to be played during the haircut which Rosolino would wave around angrily to me from time to time.

Ideally a hair cut is more than a hair cut, is what I think I took from all of this.

It's certainly more than a haircut if you go to the large breasted lady on Kilburn High Rd. We liked to call it short, back and tit rub.

Haircuts. on 22:10 - Sep 10 with 865 viewshantssi

Haircuts. on 16:36 - Sep 10 by PunteR

Taper means where your hairline starts around the back and sides do you want it blended from no hair to hair gradually . Its otherwise known as a fade.
Square is when the hairline at the back is cut so you can see where the hairline profile starts.

Thanks Punt, they say every day is a school day!
Haircuts. on 22:11 - Sep 10 with 859 viewshantssi

Haircuts. on 18:31 - Sep 10 by Benny_the_Ball

It's nice to have the choice! Generally speaking if the nape of your neck is hairy opt for square otherwise tapered is a more natural look.

Ditto Benny, mind you it still doesn’t matter as I can’t see it!
Haircuts. on 23:26 - Sep 10 with 785 viewsPeterHucker

Haircuts. on 22:14 - Sep 9 by QPRSteve

My cousin was a hairdresser. One day she was cutting this man's hair when she saw his hand moving up and down under the cape. Thinking he was doing something dirty she gave him an almighty whack around the head. Only to find he was polishing his glasses.

Did your cousin work on the Benny Hill show because I remember that joke from there.
Haircuts. on 00:02 - Sep 11 with 766 viewsNewBee

Whenever I see a Turkish barbers - all over the place these days - I always think back to when I did a 3 week touring holiday in Turkey in the mid-80's.

While out there, I decided to grow a beard for the first time. Sorry to say, it looked absolutely terrible and after a fornight I decided to cut my losses, as it were, and went into a local barber. I signalled what I wanted, but in truth the old boy in charge must have guessed the moment I went in.

No messing about, he lathered me up, stropped his cut-throat razor, pushed me back in the chair and set to work - collecting the foam on the palm of his other hand, quicker than I can type this.

Next came the hot towels - or were those first? - anyhow, he finished it off with a liberal splash of cologned and as I rubbed my chin, I realised this was the best shave I'd ever had, or ever would.

The best bit was to follow. At the time, Turkey was going through a real economic crisis, inflation at 200%(?), with 50,000 Lire banknotes standard, I think.

Anyhow, when he wrote down the price, I can't remember how much it was in Lire, but I did a quick calculation of the conversion rate and it was something like 20 pence sterling!

At which point I gave him the biggest tip he'd had all year - 50%, or 30p. He was nearly as pleased as I was!

Meanwhile, for haircuts, for many years I used to go to my local barber, Andy, the South Ealing Slasher. Andy, himself pretty bald, was a Cypriot Greek, who'd learnt his trade cutting hair at the local British Army base. Safe to say, his USP favoured speed and efficiency over style!

But in truth, the only reason I went to him was because he was cheap and his storytelling was of the very highest order, not just about the squaddies* etc, but his former wife and her exploits.

* - Sample joke:
Andy: "Would you like to keep your sideburns?"
Squaddie: "Yes please"
Andy, as he whipped them off with two deft flicks of the razor: "Well there you go then, you can keep them in a box!"
Haircuts. on 00:27 - Sep 11 with 751 viewsBoston

Haircuts. on 00:02 - Sep 11 by NewBee

Whenever I see a Turkish barbers - all over the place these days - I always think back to when I did a 3 week touring holiday in Turkey in the mid-80's.

While out there, I decided to grow a beard for the first time. Sorry to say, it looked absolutely terrible and after a fornight I decided to cut my losses, as it were, and went into a local barber. I signalled what I wanted, but in truth the old boy in charge must have guessed the moment I went in.

No messing about, he lathered me up, stropped his cut-throat razor, pushed me back in the chair and set to work - collecting the foam on the palm of his other hand, quicker than I can type this.

Next came the hot towels - or were those first? - anyhow, he finished it off with a liberal splash of cologned and as I rubbed my chin, I realised this was the best shave I'd ever had, or ever would.

The best bit was to follow. At the time, Turkey was going through a real economic crisis, inflation at 200%(?), with 50,000 Lire banknotes standard, I think.

Anyhow, when he wrote down the price, I can't remember how much it was in Lire, but I did a quick calculation of the conversion rate and it was something like 20 pence sterling!

At which point I gave him the biggest tip he'd had all year - 50%, or 30p. He was nearly as pleased as I was!

Meanwhile, for haircuts, for many years I used to go to my local barber, Andy, the South Ealing Slasher. Andy, himself pretty bald, was a Cypriot Greek, who'd learnt his trade cutting hair at the local British Army base. Safe to say, his USP favoured speed and efficiency over style!

But in truth, the only reason I went to him was because he was cheap and his storytelling was of the very highest order, not just about the squaddies* etc, but his former wife and her exploits.

* - Sample joke:
Andy, as he whipped them off with two deft flicks of the razor: "Well there you go then, you can keep them in a box!"

When I was a kid, two out of three barbers were Greek Andy's.

Edit... anyone every use / remember 'Bronson' on Sudbury Ave in North Wembley? Absolute dead ringer for Charles Bronson, hence his business name. He was an Andy really.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2022 0:31]

Haircuts. on 10:15 - Sep 11 with 650 viewsPaddyhoops

Haircuts. on 00:02 - Sep 11 by NewBee

* - Sample joke:

Back in my Crouch end days , the hair was cut by a lovely little Greek Cypriot man.
An absolute gent. The Late great Irish comic Sean hughes was a regular in there as well.
Haircuts. on 19:40 - Sep 11 with 523 viewsMick_S

My uncle Andrew ( Greek Cypriot) owned the barbers shop in Hammersmith station.

My other uncle Andrew had a hairdressers business in Gloucester. He was “Andre” because he was dealing with the ladies and needed to sound posh.

Fridge out the back with plenty of bottles of Keo ready to go.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024