Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
38 years ago today 06:46 - Jul 14 with 2033 viewspaulparker

Live Aid

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

38 years ago today on 16:53 - Jul 14 with 1898 viewsPaddyhoops

Went to my local “The Horse and jockey “ in a small town in the west of Ireland. Left in the wee hours pissed as a fart.
Remember Bob Geldof effing and blinding telling people to get out of the pub and donate money.
We didn’t … leave the pub anyway.
Bowie was the highlight.
Oh and Bob Dylan saying they should give some of the money to the farmers in America.
Great , memorable day.
38 years ago today on 17:00 - Jul 14 with 1876 viewsstowmarketrange

And 38 years on not much has changed.People are still dying from malnutrition in Africa.But as long as they have enough money to spend on guns and tanks it’s ok.
Where are Bob and Bono now?
38 years ago today on 17:19 - Jul 14 with 1844 viewsjeffranger

Fantastic Quo & seen them a few times live
38 years ago today on 17:54 - Jul 14 with 1807 viewsqpr1976

38 years ago today on 17:00 - Jul 14 by stowmarketrange

And 38 years on not much has changed.People are still dying from malnutrition in Africa.But as long as they have enough money to spend on guns and tanks it’s ok.
Where are Bob and Bono now?

Sir Bob & Bonio are still crafting a living.

Are you suggesting it was pointless and wasn’t worth the effort ?
Because at the time it (& Band Aid) seemed Very worthwhile and Both changed the ‘charity’ views.
It was a blinding concert that merged entertainment and doing something good. I was in Majorca on the day, otherwise, I would have been there. It united a lot of people and had an impact on the Government at that time and their actions.

The fact that little has changed since is hardly the fault of those at the time. At least they tried.
Maybe blame those in power in Africa ?
38 years ago today on 18:07 - Jul 14 with 1787 viewsstowmarketrange

38 years ago today on 17:54 - Jul 14 by qpr1976

Sir Bob & Bonio are still crafting a living.

Are you suggesting it was pointless and wasn’t worth the effort ?
Because at the time it (& Band Aid) seemed Very worthwhile and Both changed the ‘charity’ views.
It was a blinding concert that merged entertainment and doing something good. I was in Majorca on the day, otherwise, I would have been there. It united a lot of people and had an impact on the Government at that time and their actions.

The fact that little has changed since is hardly the fault of those at the time. At least they tried.
Maybe blame those in power in Africa ?

I’m not blaming the organisers at all,but I was just suggesting that despite all the money raised from the single and concert,people are still dying from the same diseases in Africa that they did before Live Aid.
So what did it all achieve in the long run?

Great concert though and I wish I’d been there instead of watching it on the tv.
38 years ago today on 20:27 - Jul 14 with 1720 viewsSonofpugwash

For me the best performance of the event.
The late,great Albert Collins "The Master Of The Telecaster".Travelled all the way across the USA to be there - boosted his career immensely.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

38 years ago today on 17:00 - Jul 16 with 1491 viewsdigswellhoop

brilliant day queen were brilliant
38 years ago today on 22:01 - Jul 16 with 1346 viewsdanehoop

38 years ago today on 17:00 - Jul 16 by digswellhoop

brilliant day queen were brilliant

I worked at Live Aid that day as a steward.

Managed to get backstage by a quirk of fate when I was asked to help carry something which was pretty amazing. When the evening started was in a bay to the left of the stage which was blocked off to the public and had a pretty good view of the show.

Queen were very good at what they did, but to be fair most of the acts were good considering few of them had played to stadium crowds of that size and had to try and cram the best bits of their entire catalogue in 20 minute sessions. It was the acts like Sade, Adam and Ants or the Style Council who stood out for me. This was not their usual setting or crowd, but they all played the part well. I think the sound in the stadium was probably better than the feed at home.

Bloody long day though, think I just made last train home after something like 14 hours mostly standing.

Never knowingly understood

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024