Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What about the budgies? 08:20 - Aug 14 with 8480 viewsdmm

What is Ainsworth going to do on Wednesday night? There's plenty to mull over such as player fitness and Saturday's upcoming game, but he'll want to keep the positivity going for the first home game of the season, even if it is an early dead water buffalo match.

It would be great to field the same team as we saw on Saturday but are they all fit enough to play again 3 days later in an arguably more important match? I think they should be but still, I suspect we'll see a few benched. Which players come in is the conundrum.

Someone said Norwich can field a strong 2nd team. Is that right?
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 8:22]
What about the budgies? on 16:44 - Aug 15 with 1159 viewsstainrods_elbow

What about the budgies? on 08:31 - Aug 15 by TheChef

If you keep going into every game worried about players getting injured, then you shouldn't be playing football in the first place.

Careful - that kind of voice of sanity will see you put on 'ignore' by some here before you can say 'Beale's a boil'!

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

What about the budgies? on 07:51 - Aug 16 with 995 viewsNorthernr

What about the budgies? on 18:07 - Aug 14 by stainrods_elbow

Quite so, Northern! He might be Chelsea, and a bit too politically 'clean' for some palates, but Nevin's an intelligent guy who's a real counter-example to all the snowflakery in/about the modern game. For the record, I'm glad that modern players don't get cortisone-d up to their eyeballs too, but that doesn't change the fact that 'loading' is a load of cobblers, our legitimate expectations as fans of players, uh, playing, are being industrially eroded, and the likes of JCS and many others at QPR in recent times shame both the club and the game.

See also my old mucker Simon Stainrod on the character-unbuilding cancer of modern football:

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/football-wearing-qprs-number-10-shirt-meant-

'The big thing for us at halftime when we played with just one sub, was deciding which player had the worst injury and had to come off. I just think that courage, determination and character from players now is sometimes not there any more. They say now that players are quicker and faster, but you can only be so much quicker, and the way that modern-day TV is these days it makes the game look quicker. When we were televised we probably had two cameras at a game, so it looks slower, and you also had the pitch conditions to take into account. A player like Eddie Gray would take players on for Leeds United for fun, and he had perfect timing and control. If he played today he could do it wearing a blindfold. Football has gone down a very athletic route, with data and analysis for everything, but at the end of the day, the teams with the most technical players win the trophies. The game has changed. I preferred the old game and I am not jealous playing in this era. I played football to have fun, entertain people.'

You know who you are, take note from a lavishly talented, bullshit-free R!!
[Post edited 15 Aug 2023 16:42]

This is actually one of the times in the season that you and I agree.

Watching clubs ditch out of cup competitions for some sort of morbid fear it may affect their ability to finish sixteenth in the league grinds my gears. Cup runs bring excitement, momentum, confidence, all of which are sorely needed for teams who have spent a decade playing the same fixtures in the same league (like us). They also bring money, as I've said many times it's ridiculous that QPR plead poverty and yet ditch out of the chance of a big Premier League cup tie every year (though I understand the early rounds like tonight are so poorly attended now you actually make a loss hosting them).

I'll be doing the match preview on this theme this morning.

I also used to really like Nevin as a pundit. So much more intelligent and erudite than the "he'll be disappointed with that" drones like Clinton Morrison we're being asked to put up with by way of insight now in the "banter" era.

However, and I have said this to you before as well, he let himself down very badly, and torched his reputation as the thinking man's football pundit, when he couldn't put his love of Chelsea aside and say that John Terry probably shouldn't have called one of our players a "fcking black cnt". He'd spoken so forthrightly about the racism at Chelsea in the 80s as well, but when the "captain, leader, legend" did it... he just couldn't bring himself to condemn it. In fact he described him as a "He's a pretty special individual in a lot of areas, and he will pass a lot of incredibly positive things on... one of the most misunderstood footballers I've ever come across in my life... one of the most incredible personalities I've ever met in the game." So, not for me Clive.
What about the budgies? on 13:50 - Aug 16 with 755 viewsfrancisbowles

I'd love it if we had a cup run. However, we are so incredibly short of quality in so many positions. At least a couple are struggling with fitness, and leaving them out in pre season, allowed them to contribute so much last Saturday. When win we do so by fine margins, so we need everyone rested and recovered for Saturday.

So minimum contributions tonight, if any, from Dykes, Cooke, Fox, Kakay, Chair and Field as well as Begovic, Smyth and Armstrong.

This round comes too early in the league programme. It would be taken much more seriously, if it replaced the final pre season friendly and players started pre season training a few days earlier.

Players from previous era's will always believe their era was best.
It was like that when I was a kid and old timers went on about when footballers were men, not over paid, long haired, cheating, fragile types scared of a good old shoulder charge.
What about the budgies? on 14:08 - Aug 16 with 731 viewsDavieQPR

Wouldn't have thought Norwich will be playing anything like their first team so we can afford some changes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024