Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cologne 10:43 - Oct 30 with 2526 viewsRs_Holy

Its a big year for 3 of my pals next year (50th and 60th birthdays) so we were thinking of going continental for our boys weekender away. It will be in July so southern Europe might be a bit too toasty for us (typical Brits). We've bounced a few ideas off eachother and the current favourite is Cologne.
Has anyone been? Is it suitably good for a bunch of 50 somethings??? Does it have a good selection of bars? maybe some live music? Good restaurants etc?
My only fear looking at it on the tinternet, is it might be a bit too civilised/posh for us lot? :)
Cologne on 10:58 - Oct 30 with 2460 viewsingeminate

Strong recommend. Went to a stag do (late 30’s early 40’s)there couple of years ago and had a brilliant time. There are lakes nearby with activities and bars are great. We had a local as one of the group which made a big difference, but even so will def go back with family over next few years.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Cologne on 11:11 - Oct 30 with 2411 viewsRs_Holy

Cologne on 10:58 - Oct 30 by ingeminate

Strong recommend. Went to a stag do (late 30’s early 40’s)there couple of years ago and had a brilliant time. There are lakes nearby with activities and bars are great. We had a local as one of the group which made a big difference, but even so will def go back with family over next few years.

Cheers bud 👍
Cologne on 11:11 - Oct 30 with 2410 viewsloftboy

Went in April, great beer , great food, they do an hour boat trip up the Rhine which has a bar, cathedral looks magnificent, if you drink the local Kolch be prepared for them to serve it in 0.2 l glasses.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Cologne on 11:15 - Oct 30 with 2375 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Have you considered the Euros? The final is in Berlin on 14th July and the last match hosted in Cologne in 30th June.

Unsure whether you'd see that as a catalyst to go to Germany or plan dates to avoid or coincide with it. I went to Germany for three weeks for the World Cup in 2006 and had arguably the best trip of my life. The whole country embraced it and has incredible hospitality, particularly Munich and Berlin.

We did have spells, particularly in Hamburg and Berlin of being in cities at times when they weren't hosting games but I'd say the host cities were still pretty much entirely focused on the WC. The fan camps were massive and really good fun, mostly in nice parkland areas where you could spend hours.

My advice would be to plan the trip around the Euros and embrace the entire atmosphere but if that sounds like hell on earth or you want to experience the city and culture for what it actually is, I'd give it a miss at least until after the final has been played. It'll still be atmospheric fever pitch with people from all over Europe in most host cities right up to the final. As long as Germany are in the tournament it'll be electric in every city.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2023 11:16]
Cologne on 11:18 - Oct 30 with 2353 viewsRs_Holy

Cologne on 11:15 - Oct 30 by Padulas_Shampoo

Have you considered the Euros? The final is in Berlin on 14th July and the last match hosted in Cologne in 30th June.

Unsure whether you'd see that as a catalyst to go to Germany or plan dates to avoid or coincide with it. I went to Germany for three weeks for the World Cup in 2006 and had arguably the best trip of my life. The whole country embraced it and has incredible hospitality, particularly Munich and Berlin.

We did have spells, particularly in Hamburg and Berlin of being in cities at times when they weren't hosting games but I'd say the host cities were still pretty much entirely focused on the WC. The fan camps were massive and really good fun, mostly in nice parkland areas where you could spend hours.

My advice would be to plan the trip around the Euros and embrace the entire atmosphere but if that sounds like hell on earth or you want to experience the city and culture for what it actually is, I'd give it a miss at least until after the final has been played. It'll still be atmospheric fever pitch with people from all over Europe in most host cities right up to the final. As long as Germany are in the tournament it'll be electric in every city.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2023 11:16]

Euros have gone totally under the radar ... thanks for the heads up
Cologne on 11:28 - Oct 30 with 2332 viewshantssi

Cologne on 11:18 - Oct 30 by Rs_Holy

Euros have gone totally under the radar ... thanks for the heads up

Was going to suggest Berlin, had completely forgotten about the Euros!
Cologne on 11:29 - Oct 30 with 2319 viewsRunner14

Excellent city...dead easy to get to..Eurostar to Brussels then ICE or Thalys train on to Cologne in under 2 hours. Plenty of beautiful traditional Brauhauss serving beer...Kolsch in small glasses but plentiful top-ups & traditional German food. Paffgen in Frisenstrasse is a must visit as is Brauhaus em Kolsche Boor in Eigelstein...also Fruh in the centre.
Fab views from Koln viewing triangle. Plenty going on along the Rhine & the city centre.
Cologne on 11:30 - Oct 30 with 2313 views1MoreBrightonR

Would also recommend. Went with two friends for our annual European football trip there. Cant remember who we saw (ot FC Koln) but as always in Germany, was good fun.

The city is small but very nice. Lots of nice old pubs and a few good spots to eat. We were 3 guys in our late 30's but having a relatively calm trip.

We also got the eurostar there via a change in Brussels. Takes a while but a great way to get there too.
Login to get fewer ads

Cologne on 11:41 - Oct 30 with 2264 viewsKonk

I liked Cologne - thought it was decent without being amazing, though. Finished work, Eurostar to Brussels, night out in Brussels and then onto Cologne for the football in the morning. Personally prefer Berlin, Munich or Hamburg in Germany.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Cologne on 12:16 - Oct 30 with 2169 viewsTheChef

Dusseldorf also nice with good footy options - Eintracht, or a short train ride to Leverkusen.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Cologne on 13:24 - Oct 30 with 2042 viewsDaBurgh

I find that Old spice is usually a favorite cologne for the over 50's. A personal favorite.
Cologne on 13:36 - Oct 30 with 2005 views1MoreBrightonR

Just to add to my earlier message, Hamburg was brilliant....been to berlin, hamburg, Frankfurt and Cologne and Hamburg was the best by some way. Really fun city, great beer halls and the football experience is one of the best ive had.
Cologne on 13:58 - Oct 30 with 1964 viewsrbee

Cologne is a fun city and Dusseldorf is literally 15 minutes away on the train if you fancy a two city break, Bonn is half an hour in the other direction and a pretty city. Local transport in Cologne is good as well.

My favourite trip would be Brussels - Amsterdam - Cologne. The train takes two hours from Amsterdam to Cologne.

Best time to visit Germany for me is in December with the Christmas Markets and dark winter beers.
Cologne on 16:05 - Oct 30 with 1839 viewsloftboy

We got a train to Bonn one day, next to Beethovens birth house is one of the nicest bars I’ve ever been in, the local Dunkel beer is heaven in a glass .

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Cologne on 16:29 - Oct 30 with 1810 viewshubble

Went to Cologne a couple times for work back in the 2010s, found it a bit boring tbh, but then we weren't looking to party on down.

If you're thinking of places in cooler climes, three cool cities spring to mind: Copenhagen, Bruges and Amsterdam....

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024