Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bluesky 10:36 - Dec 4 with 2616 viewsrobith

If like me you've found twitter, sorry, sorry, sorry X increasingly unusable with its ads for gun holsters and its owner endorsing antisemitic conspiracy theories, perhaps you've looked to other social platforms for a hit. But where!

I've joined bluesky which is a spin off for the original twitter devs and very much feels like twitter in 2014 (i.e the halycon days). It's a bit quiet as it's in beta but I much prefer it to Threads which is a typical Zuckerberg mess.

But there's a big issue with the platform! There's so few Rs on it!

I have 4 invite codes, DM me if you want one (purely so we get interested parties and not someone who signs up and never posts) to ensure Rangers feel massive on it
Bluesky on 11:15 - Dec 4 with 2542 viewsLandshark

It would be interesting to see how Mastodon has been getting on. They had a lot of hype when Twitter first started getting the backlash and people started posting more on Mastodon. The people I followed on there don't really post anymore and I feel like most new social media platforms are just going to go the same way. I really want to leave Twitter for obvious reasons but that's where I get a good chunk of my up to date news. Hopefully Musk continues to try his best at bankrupting the company.
Bluesky on 11:17 - Dec 4 with 2526 viewsNorthernr

Threads biggest issue is it doesn't have a desktop version.
Bluesky on 11:29 - Dec 4 with 2488 viewsflynnbo

Bluesky on 11:17 - Dec 4 by Northernr

Threads biggest issue is it doesn't have a desktop version.

I can access it from my laptop.

https://mashable.com/article/meta-threads-desktop-version-launches
[Post edited 4 Dec 2023 11:33]
Bluesky on 11:36 - Dec 4 with 2465 viewsJuzzie

Ditch it altogether. SM on the whole is a toxic environment. Whilst there is clearly positive benefit if used correctly it feels to me so small because 99% of the time you have to filter and navigate through the bottom-feeders, wum's, vacuous attention seekers, infantile 'bantz' merchants, click-baiters and so on.
Seems too exhausting to me to get any genuine use/benefit out of it.

Here and Facebook is all I manage with and the latter is mainly used as an online 'scrap book' so my far flung friends and family can see endless boring photos of my kids playing football, doing ballet and choosing the Christmas tree!
[Post edited 4 Dec 2023 11:38]
Bluesky on 12:55 - Dec 4 with 2240 viewsrobith

Bluesky on 11:36 - Dec 4 by Juzzie

Ditch it altogether. SM on the whole is a toxic environment. Whilst there is clearly positive benefit if used correctly it feels to me so small because 99% of the time you have to filter and navigate through the bottom-feeders, wum's, vacuous attention seekers, infantile 'bantz' merchants, click-baiters and so on.

Here and Facebook is all I manage with and the latter is mainly used as an online 'scrap book' so my far flung friends and family can see endless boring photos of my kids playing football, doing ballet and choosing the Christmas tree!

I guess I believe it doesn't have to be.

It's only toxic because sites such as twiter don't enforce their own T&Cs because it effects their bottom line by restricting users, or in Musk's case, let people pay £7.99 a month to be a Nazi at the front of the queue.

The issue is people, not a site inherently. When it comes to Marmite, no one hates the jar
Bluesky on 13:06 - Dec 4 with 2214 viewsMatch82

I stopped using it a few months ago and haven't missed it at all, which surprised me a bit.
Bluesky on 13:08 - Dec 4 with 2205 viewsNorthernr

Agree, except it drives traffic here which I need so I can buy food.
Bluesky on 13:16 - Dec 4 with 2164 viewslondonscottish

I'm so oldskool I still haven't really worked out what Twitter's actually for. Apart, obviously, from being a place to give all the mouthbreathers on the planet to vent all their toxic bile.

I use it once a week so see the Rangers line up and that's that.

I only do that because they binned the old text alert system which was perfect for me.

Going into X and stumbling around all the random QPR content is a f******g PITA.

I JUST WANT THE LINEUPS FFS!!

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Login to get fewer ads

Bluesky on 17:21 - Dec 4 with 1957 viewsBluce_Ree

Signed up to Bluesky this week.

It's dead as f**k.

Deleted my account.

I'm hoping Twitter dies though so that forums come back. Aside from this one, forums have been dead for a decade.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Bluesky on 15:32 - Dec 5 with 1772 viewsrobith

Bluesky on 17:21 - Dec 4 by Bluce_Ree

Signed up to Bluesky this week.

It's dead as f**k.

Deleted my account.

I'm hoping Twitter dies though so that forums come back. Aside from this one, forums have been dead for a decade.

cos reddit supplanted them
Bluesky on 15:34 - Dec 5 with 1764 viewsrobith

Bluesky on 13:16 - Dec 4 by londonscottish

I'm so oldskool I still haven't really worked out what Twitter's actually for. Apart, obviously, from being a place to give all the mouthbreathers on the planet to vent all their toxic bile.

I use it once a week so see the Rangers line up and that's that.

I only do that because they binned the old text alert system which was perfect for me.

Going into X and stumbling around all the random QPR content is a f******g PITA.

I JUST WANT THE LINEUPS FFS!!

make a List called QPR

Just add QPR and LFW

when you open it you'll have a thing at the top that says QPR, click and all you'll see is the official feed and Clive's posts.

Lists are the only thing that vaguely made twitter tolerable until Musk took over and forced you to open on whatever the £7.99 pricks are saying first
Bluesky on 16:53 - Dec 5 with 1654 viewslondonscottish

Bluesky on 15:34 - Dec 5 by robith

make a List called QPR

Just add QPR and LFW

when you open it you'll have a thing at the top that says QPR, click and all you'll see is the official feed and Clive's posts.

Lists are the only thing that vaguely made twitter tolerable until Musk took over and forced you to open on whatever the £7.99 pricks are saying first

I might try that.

But I suspect it'll still irritate me as X and all these apps seem to be designed to force you scroll over and over again to find what you want.

I prefer websites that have all the interesting stuff linked from the homepage. Or apps that do the same. On the BBC sport app I just click on "My Sport" and there's a page where I can select "Fixtures" or "Table".

All I ever want to know on a matchday is (1) the QPR line up (2) the fixtures and (3) the table.

Not too much to ask.

Anyway, I'll stop there as I've clearly turned into my dad.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Bluesky on 18:26 - Dec 5 with 1570 viewsCiderwithRsie

I'm on BlueSky for similar reasons to Robith, though my own Twitter feed isn't too bad because I rigorously block and mute (Musk was blocked as soon as he bought the thing) and because I have carefully curated Lists, and I nearly always go straight to those. Whatever the algorithm or the owner wants me to read doesn't get a look in unless it's from someone already on the list. Plus, I can decide if I'm in the mood for serious stuff, but if I'm not I might look at my Art List which is just lots of great pictures.

There seems to be some sort of idea that you shouldn't block someone unless they step over some line and should "get out of your bubble" all of which I think is balls. When I go down to the pub it's with my mates, I don't need people outside "my bubble" crashing the table and shouting idiocy at me, and if a pub allowed that to happen I'd go elsewhere (being too peaceable a sort of bloke to actually smack them in the mouth.)

As to what it's for, some people use it to shout at the world but I go to BlueSky (and still dabble on Twitter) to get views of people who know what they're talking about. I don't really use it for QPR because I get what I need to know from this place, but if I did I'd be following Clive and Dave McIntyre but I wouldn't bother following me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024