Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report 23:27 - Mar 17 with 6306 viewsNorthernr

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report 17th Mar 2024 23:06
A point away from home on a day when nobody around QPR in the table even scored, let alone won, means Saturday was far from disastrous for the R’s, but such was the abysmal standard of the opposition you couldn’t help fear this was a huge missed opportunity. 5

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 20:12 - Mar 18 with 1329 viewsParkRoyalR

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 19:02 - Mar 18 by Burnleyhoop

Chef, you are indeed being too kind.

His stats are shocking and have got worse from one season to the next. With the obvious exception of Park Royal who remains convinced he makes a positive contribution, pretty much everyone else believes it’s time for him to move on.

I’d be flabbergasted if Cifuentes starts him again this season, I think he and us have seen more than enough.

Seems being rotated / dropped has had the opposite affect on Dykes confidence compared to say Dunne, which does'nt surprise me, given their character on the pitch,

Dykes stats have deteriorated this season as have Chairs, as before Willock regained full fitness, we had a dysfunctional attack with neither Smyth nor Chair being able to play football or a final pass with their head-up; Smyth always goes outside and whacks it to the opposite corner flag & Chair always plays the hokeky kokey cuts inside and either shoots or overhits his very rare cross,

Its no surprise Chair's stats have gone from being very poor to improving slightly on the return of Chris Willock and Andersen joining; With Willock & Andersen in our team, Dykes has no excuse as these two can pass and cross,

I still believe he's the best team player of the 3 and that our goals will have to come from the 10's, as excepting Dykes is not a goal-scorer, neither is Armstrong and Frey has missed some very presentable chances in recent games that he should have taken.

Dykes plays likes he did on Saturday again, then he should be dropped.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 20:34 - Mar 18 with 1285 viewskensalriser

The rotation of the midfielders is I think a combination of tactical, keeping players fresh and trying to figure out what works best, the rotation of the forwards seems more like he just hasn't figured it out yet because they all have weaknesses.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 20:40 - Mar 18 with 1273 views1JD

The amount of times Dykes loses the ball is astonishing.

I used to quite like him a couple years ago but he seems to have gone seriously backwards in many aspects. And like others I’ve also noted his lack of work rate compared to previously.

Just looked up his pass completion stats out of curiosity. He has a 57% success rate, and ranked 374 out of 385 championship players. Of those 11 players worse, 3 are keepers.
[Post edited 18 Mar 20:40]
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 21:41 - Mar 18 with 1177 viewsParkRoyalR

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 20:40 - Mar 18 by 1JD

The amount of times Dykes loses the ball is astonishing.

I used to quite like him a couple years ago but he seems to have gone seriously backwards in many aspects. And like others I’ve also noted his lack of work rate compared to previously.

Just looked up his pass completion stats out of curiosity. He has a 57% success rate, and ranked 374 out of 385 championship players. Of those 11 players worse, 3 are keepers.
[Post edited 18 Mar 20:40]

Dykes running and work-rate seems to reflect a clear change in tact and instruction from the Manager as to how he wants both Dykes and Armstrong to press.

Dykes certainly did'nt lack work-rate or good ball control when beating Leicester's high-line a few weeks back to set us up for a crucial 3 points (Begovic aside),

Leicester are arguably the best team in the league and that goal was a mirror image of one he scored a few years back at Craven Cottage, good anticipation, early movement and a good finish,

Dykes has a pass for me when not playing with the likes of Willock, Andersen (and previously Johansen), now he's playing with these two quality 10's who play an early pass and place rather than blindly whack their crosses, he needs to rediscover his best form quickly.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 22:19 - Mar 18 with 1117 viewsmart_Goblin

All fair points here about Dykes. Like already mentioned maybe he has been told to stop the chasing around ala Armstrong but not sure what the excuse is for the rest of his game at the moment . The ball doesn’t stick . He doesn’t hold it up and bring others into play and there was no physicality Saturday against a back 4 there to be bullied. One good run and pass against Leicester doesn’t get him off the hook for me unfortunately.
Fully aware that reading when the hell chair is going to cross the ball must be frustrating but it works the other way too. Chair often looking up to cross and Dykes is hiding behind defenders with no instinct or desire to get across the front of his marker.

Ultimate proof of this was the Willock cross late on in the WBA game. Wonderful cross . Frey took his marker across front post leaving Dykes and Dunne 1 on 1 with their markers . They just needed to attack the ball. Attack the space . Dunne made a valiant effort but Dykes was yards and yards further away. Just not acceptable anymore .
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 22:38 - Mar 18 with 1094 viewsBurnleyhoop

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 21:41 - Mar 18 by ParkRoyalR

Dykes running and work-rate seems to reflect a clear change in tact and instruction from the Manager as to how he wants both Dykes and Armstrong to press.

Dykes certainly did'nt lack work-rate or good ball control when beating Leicester's high-line a few weeks back to set us up for a crucial 3 points (Begovic aside),

Leicester are arguably the best team in the league and that goal was a mirror image of one he scored a few years back at Craven Cottage, good anticipation, early movement and a good finish,

Dykes has a pass for me when not playing with the likes of Willock, Andersen (and previously Johansen), now he's playing with these two quality 10's who play an early pass and place rather than blindly whack their crosses, he needs to rediscover his best form quickly.

Cifuentes has in fairness done wonders with what he has at his disposal, especially with the additions of Anderson and Hayden, but he must be frustrated and disappointed with his strikers as none of them are up to much. One if not two need to go in the summer and I have no doubt he is already looking for replacements.

With better strikers, we would have been all but safe by now.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 22:44 - Mar 18 with 1086 viewsMyke

I think Dykes is more interested in staying fit for the Euros than playing well. He is fine in link up play as shown by his assist v Leicester, but is reluctant to get involved in the physical stuff for fear of getting injured. Unfortunately, this is the strongest part of his game, roughing up CB's and if he is not doing that he is pretty ineffective.
Frey on the other hand, is playing for a contract so is much more invested in playing to his maximum.
I think Armstrong should be getting more game time too. I take Marti's point that he tires when he starts games, but he should at least get the final 30 if we are chasing a result.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 22:45 - Mar 18 with 1073 viewsParkRoyalR

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 22:19 - Mar 18 by mart_Goblin

All fair points here about Dykes. Like already mentioned maybe he has been told to stop the chasing around ala Armstrong but not sure what the excuse is for the rest of his game at the moment . The ball doesn’t stick . He doesn’t hold it up and bring others into play and there was no physicality Saturday against a back 4 there to be bullied. One good run and pass against Leicester doesn’t get him off the hook for me unfortunately.
Fully aware that reading when the hell chair is going to cross the ball must be frustrating but it works the other way too. Chair often looking up to cross and Dykes is hiding behind defenders with no instinct or desire to get across the front of his marker.

Ultimate proof of this was the Willock cross late on in the WBA game. Wonderful cross . Frey took his marker across front post leaving Dykes and Dunne 1 on 1 with their markers . They just needed to attack the ball. Attack the space . Dunne made a valiant effort but Dykes was yards and yards further away. Just not acceptable anymore .

Mart, you were going well til you said 'Chair often looking up to cross' the only time these two have combined this season was at home to Swansea when Chair run himself into the ground and was so exhausted he could'nt hokey kokey one step more, threw a cross in and Dykes was on the end of it, worth a watch, as both of them have shown they can do it, just not often enough.
Login to get fewer ads

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 23:25 - Mar 18 with 1036 views1JD

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 21:41 - Mar 18 by ParkRoyalR

It’s been a long standing issue for me, his drop off in work rate stems way back from the time Charlie Austin personally told him to stay between the lines of the box and conserve his energy. He was quoted at the time. He also said Austin had told him to hang out the back post. Which may or may not explain his lack of ability to get in front of his marker and attack the near post.

Either way, the advice has not suited his game, because a huge part of his game was his outstanding work rate, hustle and bustle. Also to suggest Dykes is under instruction from MC, doesn’t therefore explain why we’ve seen Frey tearing about with outstanding work rate, largely showing Dykes up on that front.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 23:34 - Mar 18 with 1029 views1JD

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 22:44 - Mar 18 by Myke

I think Dykes is more interested in staying fit for the Euros than playing well. He is fine in link up play as shown by his assist v Leicester, but is reluctant to get involved in the physical stuff for fear of getting injured. Unfortunately, this is the strongest part of his game, roughing up CB's and if he is not doing that he is pretty ineffective.
Frey on the other hand, is playing for a contract so is much more invested in playing to his maximum.
I think Armstrong should be getting more game time too. I take Marti's point that he tires when he starts games, but he should at least get the final 30 if we are chasing a result.

Sorry but his link up play is definitely not fine. It’s extremely poor and nowhere near the required standard. He has no hold-up game, and no combination play. And if you lose the ball more than 4 times in every 10 passes, there is a problem.

I want to like him, and previously did, but he seems to have really regressed. Perhaps he has struggled more than most with the confusion of Warburtons passing style, then Ainsworths direct style, and now back to MCs passing style. As a previous poster said, the ball just bounces off him like a trampoline! He’s become quite infuriating to watch.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 00:10 - Mar 19 with 1003 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 22:44 - Mar 18 by Myke

Welcome back Myke hope all is well in your life .
Love Armstrong and his potential is sky high but his dribbling skills are pretty poor and his shooting below average IMO.
He is lethal getting free but he usually toes the ball too far ahead and is off balence when unloading the shot.
However I strongly agree about his playing time he is a real handful and if he could remain calm in shooting oppertunities the goals will come .
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 08:26 - Mar 19 with 877 viewsgazza1

Like it or not he (Dykes) is not good enough for Championship football. Make as many excuses why but basically he has not got the necessary skills, he does not work hard enough (just look how Frey sprints to shut players), his positional sense is poor and all round just not good enough.

He will not be starting our next game - 100%.
[Post edited 19 Mar 8:31]
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 08:45 - Mar 19 with 844 viewsNorthernr

All this 'Chair never crosses the ball' stuff that we've been letting Dykes off with for years is rendered rather irrelevant by the arrival of Andersen. I mean, how would you like your service sir? A proper footballer.

Saturday, 24 minutes, Andersen works space, looks up, cuts the ball back to near post, Hjelde sidefoots clear unchallenged, Dykes on his feels. Against Norwich, same position, Andersen works space, looks up, crosses to near post, Frey scores because he ran across his man.

Enough excuses now, Dykes needs to pull his bloody finger out or not get picked.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 12:21 - Mar 19 with 700 viewsgazza1

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 08:45 - Mar 19 by Northernr

All this 'Chair never crosses the ball' stuff that we've been letting Dykes off with for years is rendered rather irrelevant by the arrival of Andersen. I mean, how would you like your service sir? A proper footballer.

Saturday, 24 minutes, Andersen works space, looks up, cuts the ball back to near post, Hjelde sidefoots clear unchallenged, Dykes on his feels. Against Norwich, same position, Andersen works space, looks up, crosses to near post, Frey scores because he ran across his man.

Enough excuses now, Dykes needs to pull his bloody finger out or not get picked.

There is no fingers involved Norf, unfortunately he is not good enough. Yes he may score the odd goal, yes he may control and use the ball effectively infrequently, yes he may win the odd header, yes he may make some good runs once is a match, yes he may get into a scoring position once a season, yes, yes, yes, but overall is very average indeed and he needs to move on for everyone's sake, including his own.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 18:38 - Mar 19 with 528 viewsBurnleyhoop

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 08:45 - Mar 19 by Northernr

Needs to go, there is no coach in the world that would be able to get a tune out of Dykes. A very limited footballer, especially at this level and it often feels like we’re playing with 10 men when he starts.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 19:13 - Mar 19 with 482 viewsParkRoyalR

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 18:38 - Mar 19 by Burnleyhoop

Needs to go, there is no coach in the world that would be able to get a tune out of Dykes. A very limited footballer, especially at this level and it often feels like we’re playing with 10 men when he starts.

Steve Clarke gets a fair tune out of him but maybe that's when Scotland play a 3-5-2 which is a formation that plays to his strengths / compensates his shortcomings.

Worth a re-watch of extended Sunderland highlights, gets across his man for an early cross from Andersen which does'nt come in, and when eventually over-hit cross does come in from Willock, actually holds up his arms in frustration (never seen him do this in a way Austin & Gray did most games as he does'nt have their belief & confidence imo)

Arguably created good space for Chair's goal-scoring chance and think it was Andersen who applauded a similar near post run taking defenders away to free up space for Chair to score match-winner at Bristol City. Also cut out back-pass option to Sunderland's keeper which created Willock's early goal-scoring chance, which he was on his toes following up in case keeper spilled.

Still feel staying up depends on our 10's scoring and even when under-par like on Saturday, he can be an effective foil for our 10's. Needs to be more aggressive and get back to bullying Centre Halves which he can do.

I'd still start him over Frey, Armstrong and say a Jordan Hughil who was most similar type of recent forward who's played for us. I'd also go for a 3-5-2 when chasing a goal as not sure any of our lone strikers on their own can be relied upon to score the goals we need to stay up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024