Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
And They Call Us Wurzels 13:31 - May 20 with 783 viewsSaintNick

Saw a link to this

Dinlow, or dinlo, is the Romany word for an idiot or fool. It has also been incorporated in the rural dialects of some farming communities, such as Portsmouth in Hampshire, where there is a large gypsy population.

A worzel overheard talking in a Portsmouth inn: "I are a right dinlow when I bin shanting."

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dinlow

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

And They Call Us Wurzels on 13:54 - May 20 with 720 viewsfranniesTache

They're such a special breed. They keep trying to pretend these words are "theirs" and "unique' to Portsmouth, despite most of them being used up and down the south coast.

I (and most of my mates) grew up using din/dinlow, squiiny, mush etc. I had no idea they thought they were "pompey" words until that scag addict on the derby days thing said they were.

Also i'm sure i remember one of the people at their university did research into "the pompey dialect" and had to admit it didn't exist and wasn't unique to them.
And They Call Us Wurzels on 14:15 - May 20 with 679 viewsSaintNick

And They Call Us Wurzels on 13:54 - May 20 by franniesTache

They're such a special breed. They keep trying to pretend these words are "theirs" and "unique' to Portsmouth, despite most of them being used up and down the south coast.

I (and most of my mates) grew up using din/dinlow, squiiny, mush etc. I had no idea they thought they were "pompey" words until that scag addict on the derby days thing said they were.

Also i'm sure i remember one of the people at their university did research into "the pompey dialect" and had to admit it didn't exist and wasn't unique to them.

The word Mush came from when the big liners used to sail from Southampton and were crewed mainly by people from here and Scousers.

The southampton crew members were always called mush's by the scousers due to the fact that they always used to call people mush as in Alright Mush.

It was never a word associated with people from Pompey, even though no doubt they may have also used the word

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

And They Call Us Wurzels on 14:57 - May 20 with 624 viewsfranniesTache

And They Call Us Wurzels on 14:15 - May 20 by SaintNick

The word Mush came from when the big liners used to sail from Southampton and were crewed mainly by people from here and Scousers.

The southampton crew members were always called mush's by the scousers due to the fact that they always used to call people mush as in Alright Mush.

It was never a word associated with people from Pompey, even though no doubt they may have also used the word

I always thought the origins of mush was dockers shortening the word monsieur from the french, I know it's used pretty commonly in a lot of places on the south coast, and weirdly even parts of the black country use it too.

Plus pretty famously it was used in london, as you can hear on the only fools and horses theme tune

We've got some
Half price cracked ice
And miles and miles of carpet tiles
TVs, eep freeze
And David Bowie LPs
Ball games, gold chains, what's-names
And at a push
Some Trevor Francis track suits
From a mush in Shepherds Bush
Bush, Bush, Bush, Bush, Bush, Bush, Bush
And They Call Us Wurzels on 15:41 - May 20 with 572 viewsPatfromPoole

And They Call Us Wurzels on 14:57 - May 20 by franniesTache

I always thought the origins of mush was dockers shortening the word monsieur from the french, I know it's used pretty commonly in a lot of places on the south coast, and weirdly even parts of the black country use it too.

Plus pretty famously it was used in london, as you can hear on the only fools and horses theme tune

We've got some
Half price cracked ice
TVs, eep freeze
And David Bowie LPs
And at a push

"Mush" is a shortened version of "Monsieur"?

As they say, every day is a school day.....

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

And They Call Us Wurzels on 15:58 - May 20 with 545 viewsfranniesTache

And They Call Us Wurzels on 15:41 - May 20 by PatfromPoole

"Mush" is a shortened version of "Monsieur"?

As they say, every day is a school day.....

Might be an urban myth but that was the story i was told
And They Call Us Wurzels on 16:04 - May 20 with 536 viewsWints76

And They Call Us Wurzels on 15:58 - May 20 by franniesTache

Might be an urban myth but that was the story i was told

That was my understanding as well, but could well be the Romany origin as well. Guess there may be a tie in
And They Call Us Wurzels on 16:16 - May 20 with 518 viewsdirk_doone

And They Call Us Wurzels on 14:57 - May 20 by franniesTache

We've got some
Half price cracked ice
TVs, eep freeze
And David Bowie LPs
And at a push

No, mush is just Romany for man.

https://www.gypsy-traveller.org/heritage/glossary-of-romani-terms/

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024