Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rosetta Stone 14:24 - Sep 12 with 1908 viewsMedwayR

Anyone used Rosetta Stone for learning a new language - if so, any good???

Cheers

Poll: Who’s better?

Rosetta Stone on 15:33 - Sep 12 with 1864 viewsmacclesfieldman

I tried it for French and wouldn't recomend it....having said that i've only just mastered English!!

Wild horses couldn't drag me away...

Rosetta Stone on 15:38 - Sep 12 with 1838 viewsTonto

It really depends on how you learn.

I've not tried Rosetta Stone, but have used other similar styles (i.e. book and CD) to learn Czech (my Mrs is Czech). I didn't get on very well. The problem was that I wasn't very disciplined, or didn't find the time. When I did, it was on the tube, but then its difficult to hear some of the pronunciations when there is a lot of noise around, plus you dont want to look like a tube on the tube by repeating it.

I learnt far better by joining a class, where i had interaction with a teacher and if i didnt understand something i could ask.

So it comes down to your self discipline and the time to devote to it. If both of those are bad, forget it. If its not a problem, give it a try.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Rosetta Stone on 15:38 - Sep 12 with 1834 viewsboobishabang

What language is it you want to learn? I've used the Plimsleur cd's before now, a lot cheaper than Rosetta and better by all accounts, As Tonto says you need to be disiplined mind, i wasn't so didnt get anywhere! i've your interested PM and i'll send you some copies of the stuff, i just downloaded it
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Rosetta Stone on 16:25 - Sep 12 with 1783 viewsMedwayR

Looking to continue learning Spanish. I did some beginner classes Jan-May which were very good & I really learnt a lot, unfortunately because of work I doubt I'd be able to attend evening classes on a regular basis. I'll have a look into plimsleur CDs thanks. Hopefully I'll be able to start classes again in the not too distant future...

Poll: Who’s better?

Rosetta Stone on 16:31 - Sep 12 with 1773 viewsRs_Holy

I bought the "Talk Italian" (book and 2 CD's) by the BBC.
I think it is excellent and would recommend it to anyone.
There are 10 sections with mini tests at the end of each one.
The great thing with the CD's is the ability to rewind a few seconds and replay until you are 100% happy with something.
Rosetta Stone on 16:46 - Sep 12 with 1748 viewsTW_R

Rosetta Stone on 15:33 - Sep 12 by macclesfieldman

I tried it for French and wouldn't recomend it....having said that i've only just mastered English!!

"I tried it for French and wouldn't recomend it....having said that i've only just mastered English!"

Apparently not - recommend.
Rosetta Stone on 16:50 - Sep 12 with 1739 viewsBluce_Ree

I did Spanish for two years at evening classes and it was fking shit.

I do recommend Michel Thomas' CD set though. The way he gets you speaking Spanish quickly is pretty remarkable.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Rosetta Stone on 16:55 - Sep 12 with 1728 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Rosetta Stone on 16:50 - Sep 12 by Bluce_Ree

I did Spanish for two years at evening classes and it was fking shit.

I do recommend Michel Thomas' CD set though. The way he gets you speaking Spanish quickly is pretty remarkable.

I was about to ask what is the best for learning Spanish as I'm thinking of learning the basics. *toco Madera*

My french is appalling but I did manage to get from 'Heetfields' bar roaring drunk to the Elysee Montmartre asking directions only in French (long, long uphill walk) so maybe there is hope for me.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

Rosetta Stone on 17:56 - Sep 12 with 1677 viewsBklynRanger

I've started to do the Pimsleur CDs for Spanish. It's pretty gradual but so far quite good I'd say. I've got a 20 minute walk to work from the train through an absolute shytehole of a neighbourhood - it helps pass the time and eveybody's talking to themselves already anyway...

I've got a couple of books too but books just don't seem to work for me.
Rosetta Stone on 17:59 - Sep 12 with 1668 viewsfrogw12

Rosetta Stone on 17:56 - Sep 12 by BklynRanger

I've started to do the Pimsleur CDs for Spanish. It's pretty gradual but so far quite good I'd say. I've got a 20 minute walk to work from the train through an absolute shytehole of a neighbourhood - it helps pass the time and eveybody's talking to themselves already anyway...

I've got a couple of books too but books just don't seem to work for me.

I once worked for a French company and they told me not to try and learn French because I couldn't even speak English properly!
Rosetta Stone on 18:04 - Sep 12 with 1659 viewsBklynRanger

Rosetta Stone on 17:59 - Sep 12 by frogw12

I once worked for a French company and they told me not to try and learn French because I couldn't even speak English properly!

I had a French teacher who called me Achmed because he said I spoke French like it was Arabic.

Revenge was mine though - One day I threw up outside his classroom and he ran down the corridor and skidded in it. :)
Rosetta Stone on 18:54 - Sep 12 with 1614 viewsvodkasupper

A few years ago I went to Turkey for hols and I like to chat with the locals so I downloaded Coffee-Break Turkish which is a FREE podcast through Itunes Store.

I found it great as an intro to a new language plus you can get it in a number of different languages. Might be worth a browse.
Rosetta Stone on 22:41 - Sep 12 with 1530 viewsGilligan

Rosetta Stone on 18:54 - Sep 12 by vodkasupper

A few years ago I went to Turkey for hols and I like to chat with the locals so I downloaded Coffee-Break Turkish which is a FREE podcast through Itunes Store.

I found it great as an intro to a new language plus you can get it in a number of different languages. Might be worth a browse.

The Michel Thomas CDs are brilliant. I learnt more Spanish in a few weeks than five years of French at school.
Rosetta Stone on 10:48 - Sep 13 with 1444 viewskarl

Spanishdict.com is not bad for picking up words and phrases. My work involves dealing with non english speaking Spaniards and without trying too hard i'm picking it up gradually
Rosetta Stone on 10:56 - Sep 13 with 1435 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I will try a few of these cheers.

Luckily I won't need all that spitting Catalan inflections.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Rosetta Stone on 11:29 - Sep 13 with 1405 viewsscottjones

It's very very good. Albeit expensive. If you can get a hooky download I'd certainly recommend it in general. For something like Spanish you'll probably find a lot cheaper options out there, Compared to learning a Slavak language for example Spanish is relatively easy to pick up you'll hopefully find.

RS is the best on the market IMHO but, as I said..blooming expensive.
Rosetta Stone on 12:38 - Sep 13 with 1373 viewsjamois

Thanks for this thread Medway. I too really need to learn Spanish as I'm now living most of the year in a Spanish speaking country. I was wondering about Rosetta but thanks to this thread have just downloaded Michael Thomas Spanish. It's on my mobile already. Now with just a bit of application and work-rate Jamie Mackie stylee...

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Rosetta Stone on 11:47 - Sep 15 with 1265 viewsTacticalR

Here is a good critique of Rosetta Stone, which I agree with:

Rosetta Stone Skepticism:
http://ellenjovin.com/blog/entry/rosetta_stone_skepticism

(It's quite long so takes a bit of patience to wade through. The comments are worth reading too. I agree with the author that Pimsleur is better)

In my opinion, language learning is like playing football. It's a practical activity that you have to carry out yourself. It doesn't fit well into an academic framework.

My experience. A few years ago I took Chinese evening classes at SOAS, which is the main institution for teaching Chinese in London. After the first term of 10 weeks I don't think I could speak a word of Chinese.

Eventually I decided to pay a Chinese friend and just talk the best I could for an hour at a time. Progress was slow, but at least there was progress, and that was with someone who had no experience of teaching Chinese. So my advice is try to find some way of interacting with a native speaker. By all means use academic lesssons, mp3s or interactive software, but keep in mind those are all just training for 'the real match'.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024