Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kindle Fire? 21:33 - Nov 19 with 5015 viewsPizanti

Anyone got one? ...any good? ...Mrs Pizanti wants a Kindle for Christmas and was thinking of getting one of these due to the added extras of Internet, email etc as well as the reading which is what she primarily wants it for.
Kindle Fire? on 22:20 - Nov 19 with 4087 viewsBluce_Ree

If she wants it for reading then definitely don't get a Fire. Get a regular Kindle. It's all about the E-Ink or whatever it's called. That's what makes a Kindle usable.

A Fire is just another tablet. Useful for internet stuff for sure but not much of an e-reader.

Just get a normal Kindle for her. It'll be cheaper too.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Kindle Fire? on 22:28 - Nov 19 with 4069 viewsted_hendrix

Mr Piz,

I got the Kindle Fire HD a few weeks ago, first time I've bought anything like this and not being an IT expert I'm still finding my round the thing;

It downloads books in seconds, the HD screen is bloody superb for reading or anything else for that matter, It downloaded my I-Tunes music library no problem but I can't get It to download our I-pod videos but tbh I think I'm doing something wrong, no problem downloading our pictures either.
There is no camera with It (not really a problem) but there is a video thingy, but a slight niggle/moan I do have is you don't get a charger with It, if you go on Amazon they are bloody expensive, there are cheaper ones but according to the reviews I read they are gash. To charge mine I use the lap top, If When we go abroad I've discovered that the charger on my works Blackberry charges the Kindle albeit slowly.

Yep It's a great bit of kit with so many features that I haven't got my head round yet, the Lady of the house has trial read a few books (free from Amazon) and is still undecided about the Kindle but to be fair she is a bookworm and reads books most nights.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Kindle Fire? on 22:38 - Nov 19 with 4057 viewsMelakaRanger

If you just want to read books get the basic Kindle.

The trouble with the Fire (and most every tablet) is that in bright sunshine the glare on the screen means you cannot read a book. The basic Kindle e ink though is fine in daylight or sunshine. It does exactly what it says on the tin and brilliantly.

If you mainly want a 'tablet' and will just read from time to time (and not in sunshine) then get the Nexus 7 and download the Kindle app. Most every reviewer puts the cheaper Nexus ahead of the Fire

But I repeat. If you simply want to read books then the basic Kindle cannot be beat (my wife loves hers). Oh and there is a new KIndle paperwhite which allows reading at night
Kindle Fire? on 22:48 - Nov 19 with 4043 viewsMrSheen

The only thing I don't like about my olde Kindle is that the screen resolution is hopeless for maps. Not great if you are trying to read a history book or a guide, not a problem otherwise.
Kindle Fire? on 22:58 - Nov 19 with 4028 viewsted_hendrix

Kindle Fire? on 22:38 - Nov 19 by MelakaRanger

If you just want to read books get the basic Kindle.

The trouble with the Fire (and most every tablet) is that in bright sunshine the glare on the screen means you cannot read a book. The basic Kindle e ink though is fine in daylight or sunshine. It does exactly what it says on the tin and brilliantly.

If you mainly want a 'tablet' and will just read from time to time (and not in sunshine) then get the Nexus 7 and download the Kindle app. Most every reviewer puts the cheaper Nexus ahead of the Fire

But I repeat. If you simply want to read books then the basic Kindle cannot be beat (my wife loves hers). Oh and there is a new KIndle paperwhite which allows reading at night

Mate, this was taken from a review;

The Kindle Fire HD's screen also has a polarizing filter and "anti-glare technology" that Amazon made specific mention of during its presentation. We compared the Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7 in direct sunlight, and both displays were perfectly visible.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Kindle Fire? on 08:31 - Nov 20 with 3966 viewsMelakaRanger

Indeed the review might say that but have a look at some of the actual reviews by users on you tube. The glare is there.

Also a Kindle e ink reader is £69 and the Fire HD £159

I still maintain that if you just want to read books the basic Kindle is by far the best piece of kit
Kindle Fire? on 08:50 - Nov 20 with 3941 viewsrunningman75

I have a basic Kindle as love to read. Very light and great for travelling. I went on holiday and downloaded 3 books, and if you consider the weight of books, I would recommend the kindle. I have a laptop so would not be interested in the kindle fire. I would recommend the Kindle as an e-reader though.
Kindle Fire? on 08:57 - Nov 20 with 3928 viewshoopstilidie

Purely for reading I have a Kobo.

Can't recommend it enough.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Login to get fewer ads

Kindle Fire? on 09:37 - Nov 20 with 3895 viewsTW_R

Kindle Fire? on 22:58 - Nov 19 by ted_hendrix

Mate, this was taken from a review;

The Kindle Fire HD's screen also has a polarizing filter and "anti-glare technology" that Amazon made specific mention of during its presentation. We compared the Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7 in direct sunlight, and both displays were perfectly visible.

I'd go with Ted on this. If you want internet access, email as well as the books, plus the added bonus of music and films too, the Fire HD is a bargain at £159. I was playing with one a couple of weeks ago and I was suprised how good it was, having only ever used one tablet in the ipad. Easy to use, good quality image on books and video.

I've got the original Kindle from a couple of years ago and had the Fire been available then, I would have got one.

The other option is the Nexus 7, which is the same price as the Fire HD and very similar in features.
Kindle Fire? on 10:49 - Nov 20 with 3852 viewsPizanti

Cheers for the info chaps... it's a tough one ...primarily she wants it for reading which leans me towards the Paperwhite but I know if she had access to email, Facebook, internet etc she would love that too!
Kindle Fire? on 10:56 - Nov 20 with 3843 viewsBasingstokeR

Got my wife the Nexus 7 as she said she wanted a Kindle but actually reading between the lines wanted to still take the iPad off me when I'm in here reading posts!!! Nexus 7 is a great little tablet.
Kindle Fire? on 14:34 - Nov 20 with 3809 viewsTW_R

Kindle Fire? on 10:49 - Nov 20 by Pizanti

Cheers for the info chaps... it's a tough one ...primarily she wants it for reading which leans me towards the Paperwhite but I know if she had access to email, Facebook, internet etc she would love that too!

She'll only end up wanting a tablet at some point anyway, so if you get her a reader it will become shelf-ware pretty quickly once she gets the tablet. For an extra 50 quid you may as well go for the Fire over the Paperwhite.
Kindle Fire? on 18:50 - Nov 20 with 3722 viewsPizanti

Kindle Fire? on 14:34 - Nov 20 by TW_R

She'll only end up wanting a tablet at some point anyway, so if you get her a reader it will become shelf-ware pretty quickly once she gets the tablet. For an extra 50 quid you may as well go for the Fire over the Paperwhite.

I think you just made my mind up TW_R!
Kindle Fire? on 19:24 - Nov 20 with 3705 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Kindle Fire? on 18:50 - Nov 20 by Pizanti

Best pick is the kindle keyboard 3g, you can (in a very clunky manner) look at a black and white internet wherever you are, for free.

You also can get your daily paper or any book you fancy from the Amazon store delivered free, again without having to rely on WiFi.

Paying that bit more for the 3G (free for lifetime) is worth it

The kicker is battery life, base e ink Kindles hold charge for ages and use very little in use, perfect for holidays.

If she wants a tablet that's a different matter (you WILL be frequently recharging) but for books, base Kindle is best.

As a fully certified gadget idiot, I have both
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Kindle Fire? on 20:13 - Nov 20 with 3653 viewscheeseydane

Ill stick to books thanks, although i must admit the pages on a kindle dont get stuck together half as much.

Technology advances, unfortunately humans do not.

Kindle Fire? on 09:43 - Nov 21 with 3572 viewsLazyFan

Kindle Fire? on 18:50 - Nov 20 by Pizanti

Do not get a Fire. My Dad has a Fire and I have a Nexus. He now knows it was mistake to get the Fire.

The Fire has decent hardware (but not as good as the Nexus 7) negated by crippled software. For example there is no Android set of home screens (desktop) for widgets. So, instead on the Fire you have to scroll through all the apps to get to the one you want. A right pain. And you will want those widgets for email, calendar, task lists, train times and so on.

The Nexus has Over the Air, regular updates of the latest Android software. This is actually more important than you think. For example my Nexus 7 went from 4.1.2 to 4.2 and now it seems twice as fast with the new fixes. And I have more features like lock screen widgets, which means I can read email without unlocking the tablet. A quick 'looksy' and so on. The Fire is stuck on a modified version of Android 4.0. It is out of date and there are no guarantees that it will be updated or when. The Nexus range is updated within weeks of the new versions being released on any other device.

You have access to the Google Play app store which is the official Android one and will have all the apps you want on it. They now match Apple for number of apps at 700k. But they have more free apps than the Apple store does! If you get the Fire you are directed to Amazons store and cannot use the Google one out of the box.

It has full integration with the new Google Music which allows you to store 20k of your music in the cloud for free for later access on any Android enabled device. I am guessing the Fire could use that service too, but I am not 100% sure and also even if it did because they are so far behind on the software you will never get the latest benefits of such a service. Google Music also offer a free matching service, whereby if you try and upload a song they already have in their database they will stop your upload and copy it into your cloud space for you. Saving you an upload. You may say that's common sense but Apple charge I think £20 for this service.

Some reviews of both have stated that with the Amazon Reader app is actually faster on the Nexus than the Fire (probably because the Nexus has the latest Android software on it).

And the list goes on. You can buy my Dad's Fire if you like; he's looking to sell now.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

Kindle Fire? on 09:50 - Nov 21 with 3563 viewsTW_R

This review was in the Standard last night. They say Nexus 7 too.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/techandgadgets/kindle-v-nook-v-nexus-7-which-mini
Kindle Fire? on 09:57 - Nov 21 with 3553 viewswombleR

Kindle Fire? on 19:24 - Nov 20 by WrightUp5hit___

Best pick is the kindle keyboard 3g, you can (in a very clunky manner) look at a black and white internet wherever you are, for free.

You also can get your daily paper or any book you fancy from the Amazon store delivered free, again without having to rely on WiFi.

Paying that bit more for the 3G (free for lifetime) is worth it

The kicker is battery life, base e ink Kindles hold charge for ages and use very little in use, perfect for holidays.

If she wants a tablet that's a different matter (you WILL be frequently recharging) but for books, base Kindle is best.

As a fully certified gadget idiot, I have both

So with Kindle Keyboard 3G you can get Internet access (albeit clunkily). Can you also do e.mail?

The idea of paying one price up front and having unlimited use globally is very appealing.
Kindle Fire? on 11:49 - Nov 21 with 3537 viewsLewes_r

Want a small tablet for web, email, bit of reading

Ipad mini ( if money no problem)
Kindle fire ( if you care about the £100 difference)

Want an e-reader

Id go for that glow worm thing kobo i think

E-ink which is best in day time plus it lights up at night for bedtime reading. Plus its bloody good value

I must say if you are serious about switching to reading on an e-reader full time then go for e-ink e-reader not a tablet

My two penneth

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Kindle Fire? on 23:14 - Nov 21 with 3484 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Kindle Fire? on 09:57 - Nov 21 by wombleR

So with Kindle Keyboard 3G you can get Internet access (albeit clunkily). Can you also do e.mail?

The idea of paying one price up front and having unlimited use globally is very appealing.

Yes you can do your email on a Kindle, assuming you use an internet based account .

As I said, clunky but it does work.
Kindle Fire? on 00:15 - Nov 22 with 3462 viewsSomersetHoops

It depends on the type of books you read. If you just want text type books the original kindle is good and there are a lot of classic books available free. If you want to read technical or other illustrated books the conversions to kindle are normally poor. Amazon don't send out the CD's if you buy a book that should have one and I've downloaded two books that should have included CD's and cancelled them when I found they were necessary and I didn't have them. Th be fair to Amazon as long as you cancell quickly they credit your order value back.

Some newspapers are available for download and they do include some of the pictures now but the kindle reading experience is not a patch on the ipad for that. My advice would be shop around and actually look at the various pads and things and remember you can get the kindle app. on android pads if the screen is good enough to read. The one thing about the original grey kindle and some other dedicated reading pads is that they can be read in bright sunlight and backlit pads are not good at that

Who's Next?

Kindle Fire? on 10:16 - Nov 22 with 3433 viewsisawqpratwcity

Kindle Fire? on 00:15 - Nov 22 by SomersetHoops

It depends on the type of books you read. If you just want text type books the original kindle is good and there are a lot of classic books available free. If you want to read technical or other illustrated books the conversions to kindle are normally poor. Amazon don't send out the CD's if you buy a book that should have one and I've downloaded two books that should have included CD's and cancelled them when I found they were necessary and I didn't have them. Th be fair to Amazon as long as you cancell quickly they credit your order value back.

Some newspapers are available for download and they do include some of the pictures now but the kindle reading experience is not a patch on the ipad for that. My advice would be shop around and actually look at the various pads and things and remember you can get the kindle app. on android pads if the screen is good enough to read. The one thing about the original grey kindle and some other dedicated reading pads is that they can be read in bright sunlight and backlit pads are not good at that

Where do you go for the classics, Somerset? My sons gave me a kindle (and I love that I can carry books in my shirt pocket), but I resent paying damn near the bookshop price for something that has none of the costs of applying inks to wood pulp and then trucking it around the country.

TBH, I am a public library sort.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Kindle Fire? on 11:03 - Nov 22 with 3417 viewsTW_R

Kindle Fire? on 10:16 - Nov 22 by isawqpratwcity

Where do you go for the classics, Somerset? My sons gave me a kindle (and I love that I can carry books in my shirt pocket), but I resent paying damn near the bookshop price for something that has none of the costs of applying inks to wood pulp and then trucking it around the country.

TBH, I am a public library sort.

http://www.gutenberg.org/

Loads of free ebooks on Amazon too.
Kindle Fire? on 12:28 - Nov 22 with 3396 viewswombleR

Kindle Fire? on 23:14 - Nov 21 by WrightUp5hit___

Yes you can do your email on a Kindle, assuming you use an internet based account .

As I said, clunky but it does work.

Thanks for clarification.
Kindle Fire? on 07:06 - Nov 23 with 3326 viewsisawqpratwcity

Kindle Fire? on 11:03 - Nov 22 by TW_R

http://www.gutenberg.org/

Loads of free ebooks on Amazon too.

Thanks for that, TW_R!

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024