Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aussie Radio admitting guilt? 11:01 - Dec 11 with 2631 viewsRangersDave

Reported on Sky news that "Southern Cross Austereo, the parent company of radio station 2Day FM, said the remainder of the profits for 2012 should go to a memorial fund to benefit Jacintha Saldhana's family.

The sum is expected to amount to AUS$500,000 (£326,000)."

smells of an admission that it crossed the line, and hoping to stave off a lawsuit from the family and hospital.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 11:06 - Dec 11 with 1951 viewshoopdog

No just accepting liability for the 2 Shyte hawk D Js
Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 11:12 - Dec 11 with 1930 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I actually feel sorry for the DJ's to a certain extent.

I hate shock-jocks, and I think they're crass and peurile, but there was no intent to injure life here, none whatsoever, and it must be dreadful inside their heads right now knowing that their actions started something that ended in death. Their lives are ruined forever.

It's so sad for the lady and for her family but it's also sad for the DJ's. Stupid, yes. Murderers, no.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 11:14 - Dec 11 with 1924 viewsBluce_Ree

Bit of a nothing story to be honest.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 11:22 - Dec 11 with 1910 viewsDesertBoot

I wonder if the producers who ok'd it to be broadcast will be sacked. Not a whisper from that department.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 11:34 - Dec 11 with 1886 viewsWokingR

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 11:12 - Dec 11 by BrianMcCarthy

I actually feel sorry for the DJ's to a certain extent.

I hate shock-jocks, and I think they're crass and peurile, but there was no intent to injure life here, none whatsoever, and it must be dreadful inside their heads right now knowing that their actions started something that ended in death. Their lives are ruined forever.

It's so sad for the lady and for her family but it's also sad for the DJ's. Stupid, yes. Murderers, no.

Finally, a reasoned view.
Nobody ever sets out to cause anything like this when carrying out a prank or joke. I wonder how many of the posters on here in the last week calling for sackings across Australia ever used to laugh at Steve Wright doing exactly the same on the radio or Jeremy Beadle on 'You've Been Framed' ? Anybody walking passed the BBC site to get to a home game will walk passed the Prank Patrol Bus every time. Everyone does it, just this time had totally unforeseen results.
The whole thing is very sad but there was certainly nothing malicious about it
Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 11:41 - Dec 11 with 1875 viewsRangersDave

interestingly enough, if you'd have heard the full first interview with both DJ's (not the sobbing , broken voices act at the start) you would have heard anger, and defensivness over thier actions and quite a bit of buck passing to others within their 'team'.

Not sure they actually 'get it' to be honest.

However i think we can all realise that this was a game (played by loads from, before and since Beadle) of Russian roulette. The only difference is that not only did this pair of DJ's take the mic, but then they kept repeating how clever they were both while on and off air, plus their radio station up and even after the death of this poor lady, kept playing the excerpt from it, ridiculing her even more worldwide.

Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 11:52 - Dec 11 with 1847 viewsW10hoop

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 11:41 - Dec 11 by RangersDave

interestingly enough, if you'd have heard the full first interview with both DJ's (not the sobbing , broken voices act at the start) you would have heard anger, and defensivness over thier actions and quite a bit of buck passing to others within their 'team'.

However i think we can all realise that this was a game (played by loads from, before and since Beadle) of Russian roulette. The only difference is that not only did this pair of DJ's take the mic, but then they kept repeating how clever they were both while on and off air, plus their radio station up and even after the death of this poor lady, kept playing the excerpt from it, ridiculing her even more worldwide.

It was a prank call that went horribly wrong, it's a tradegy but no one is really to blame for this tragic situation. I just feel so sorry for the ladies family especially at this time of year. It brings home the issues of a troubled mind and how people can be seemingly pushed over the edge by something that seems so small. I personally think that should really be the story here not the 2 silly Djs. Very sad all round.
Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 11:52 - Dec 11 with 1847 viewsBrightonhoop

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 11:41 - Dec 11 by RangersDave

Precisely. The remorse seemed to be for there own predicament imo. They happily passed blame to the producers without a glimmer of betrayal to their own colleagues or a hint of responsibility for their actions.
Yes it's been done a million times before, but within a framework of clearance from those having been pranked for permission to broadcast. Most see a funny side and agree.
The Hospital have denied any such clearance or in fact any contact, despite the Radio Station claiming to have called for clearance. The hospital have not contested that or produced evidence of clearance from the nurse herself or the Hospital for clearance. The lack of genuine remorse and acceptance of an ugly fk up is astonishingly trite.
Login to get fewer ads

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 11:54 - Dec 11 with 1843 viewshoopdog

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 11:34 - Dec 11 by WokingR

Nobody ever sets out to cause anything like this when carrying out a prank or joke. I wonder how many of the posters on here in the last week calling for sackings across Australia ever used to laugh at Steve Wright doing exactly the same on the radio or Jeremy Beadle on 'You've Been Framed' ? Anybody walking passed the BBC site to get to a home game will walk passed the Prank Patrol Bus every time. Everyone does it, just this time had totally unforeseen results.

Hospital staff deserve respect not ridicule ,Of couse no intent was meant by their actions and it is total stupidity to even think it and does'nt need to be mentioned ,thoughtless is word to apply to the now whinning blame shifting morons
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:14 - Dec 11 with 1807 viewsNorthernr

I agree with Brian. Should we all stop playing jokes on each other and taking the pis for fear somebody might kill themselves?
Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:21 - Dec 11 with 1793 viewsBrightonhoop

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:14 - Dec 11 by Northernr

I agree with Brian. Should we all stop playing jokes on each other and taking the pis for fear somebody might kill themselves?

No of course not. Making a fool of some unsuspecting person doing a serious job and then broadcasting it to the world is somewhat different though, with tragic consequences on this occassion, because those involved didn't follow professional protocol for such pranks.
Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:25 - Dec 11 with 1789 viewsNorthernr

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:21 - Dec 11 by Brightonhoop

No of course not. Making a fool of some unsuspecting person doing a serious job and then broadcasting it to the world is somewhat different though, with tragic consequences on this occassion, because those involved didn't follow professional protocol for such pranks.

I think that's way over the top. Radio programmes have played these silly little games for years. I think Mr Sheen on here the other days said it better than I can, about people who commit suicide blowing up what's actually a small or manageable problem in their mind into one that's all consuming and unmanageable. You can't hold two people who had a bit of a laugh - nothing sinister about it - accountable in that situation.

One question I'd like to ask is, rather than focusing on the DJs, has anybody asked how the hospital management treated this woman after the incident? Was she publicly rebuked, humiliated, yelled at by management keen to protect their reputation as the hospital for royals?

Sometimes though, and you'd never guess it in the modern media age, sometimes it's actually nobody's fault.
Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:30 - Dec 11 with 1774 viewsRangersDave

Sorry Northern,

your missing the point by a large margin.

Taking the mic is something we all do. However, when you consistently do it, and then have your radio station doing is right up to and after the death was announced of this lady, then thats not taking the mic is it?

Firstly its self agrandisement of themselves, and you could argue, it becomes bullying by default if not letting it go.

This is where most would argue is the case.....they didnt let go, they carried on.....worldwide even past her time of death.

Then the full interview shows you what they actually think, not what they want you to think. I'd suggest you listen and come back to me on that if it changes your mind somewhat.

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:31 - Dec 11 with 1770 viewsBrightonhoop

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:25 - Dec 11 by Northernr

I think that's way over the top. Radio programmes have played these silly little games for years. I think Mr Sheen on here the other days said it better than I can, about people who commit suicide blowing up what's actually a small or manageable problem in their mind into one that's all consuming and unmanageable. You can't hold two people who had a bit of a laugh - nothing sinister about it - accountable in that situation.

One question I'd like to ask is, rather than focusing on the DJs, has anybody asked how the hospital management treated this woman after the incident? Was she publicly rebuked, humiliated, yelled at by management keen to protect their reputation as the hospital for royals?

Sometimes though, and you'd never guess it in the modern media age, sometimes it's actually nobody's fault.

Both you and Mr Sheen are right to an extent, but the protocol is, on the ones we get to hear on the radio or see on telly, is clearance from the person themselves. A) it's a general courtesy (most are 'good sports' and say go ahead) and B) consent nullifys any adverse reaction of the subject and mitigates any legal action the Hospital and Family are likely to bring for the broadcaster. Given the outcome it is highly unlikely this nurse would have given her consent.
I'm afraid I only feel sorrow for the poor bloke and his kids left behind. What a time of year to lose someone.
Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:33 - Dec 11 with 1761 viewsessextaxiboy

This was two people phoning up a hospital at 0530 am . What for? , the best outcome is that a health proffessional is humiliated and embarrassed for the enjoyment of others .

If they dont make the call no one is humiliated , they asked about her condition whilst impersonating a relative they must have known that it would encourage the person on the phone to break the hypocratic oath on radio.

I said before, famous people who put themselves out there are fair game but this crossed the line IMO
Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:39 - Dec 11 with 1748 viewsToast_R

Horrible situation with no winners and sadly the blame game will achieve nothing.

At the end of the day what she did, were her own actions and she chose to do this to herself.

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:47 - Dec 11 with 1722 viewsSonofNorfolt

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:39 - Dec 11 by Toast_R

Horrible situation with no winners and sadly the blame game will achieve nothing.

At the end of the day what she did, were her own actions and she chose to do this to herself.

Or are the hospital holding something back that we will never hear about?
A dressing down perhaps?
Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:51 - Dec 11 with 1712 viewsA40Bosh

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:33 - Dec 11 by essextaxiboy

This was two people phoning up a hospital at 0530 am . What for? , the best outcome is that a health proffessional is humiliated and embarrassed for the enjoyment of others .

If they dont make the call no one is humiliated , they asked about her condition whilst impersonating a relative they must have known that it would encourage the person on the phone to break the hypocratic oath on radio.

I said before, famous people who put themselves out there are fair game but this crossed the line IMO

It's too easy to say it's no one's fault Clive, because there is a sequence of events instigated by the employees of a radio station that directly lead to the outcome, but at the same time, it is also too easy to start pointing the finger of blame at people who were caught out doing the same thing that has been done millions of times before by others without the same tragic consequences.

Where I think the Aussies screwed up was deciding in the first place that it was acceptable for a bit of a laugh to phone a hospital where a young, first time mum-to-be (who just happens to be famous) was "allegedly" being treated for severe morning sickness. Did they not consider the fact (as I first did) that the condition could have been something more sinister in terms of the pregnancy going wrong which was being kept from the public at that time by the Royal Family?

If Kate was going in to have a ingrowing toenail removed, or had broken her arm skiing, then fair enough, but wrong gag in the wrong situation as far as I am concerned.

I also do wonder as Clive mentioned if the hospital management had torn the nurse to shreds afterwards as a result and she was under threat of a disciplinary procedure or getting fired, because taking your own life is bad enough, but doing that knowing you are leaving a husband and two children behind to carry on without you must have meant that she had seriously lost the plot over what had happened.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:56 - Dec 11 with 1701 viewsessextaxiboy

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:51 - Dec 11 by A40Bosh

It's too easy to say it's no one's fault Clive, because there is a sequence of events instigated by the employees of a radio station that directly lead to the outcome, but at the same time, it is also too easy to start pointing the finger of blame at people who were caught out doing the same thing that has been done millions of times before by others without the same tragic consequences.

Where I think the Aussies screwed up was deciding in the first place that it was acceptable for a bit of a laugh to phone a hospital where a young, first time mum-to-be (who just happens to be famous) was "allegedly" being treated for severe morning sickness. Did they not consider the fact (as I first did) that the condition could have been something more sinister in terms of the pregnancy going wrong which was being kept from the public at that time by the Royal Family?

If Kate was going in to have a ingrowing toenail removed, or had broken her arm skiing, then fair enough, but wrong gag in the wrong situation as far as I am concerned.

I also do wonder as Clive mentioned if the hospital management had torn the nurse to shreds afterwards as a result and she was under threat of a disciplinary procedure or getting fired, because taking your own life is bad enough, but doing that knowing you are leaving a husband and two children behind to carry on without you must have meant that she had seriously lost the plot over what had happened.

There is another nurse (still alive) who was involved . You would think that if the hospital put pressure on then it will get out .

Patient confidentiality is the cornerstone of working in health . This nurse was duped into putting her colleague into a situation where she broke it .

A tragedy but no call ...no death
Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:57 - Dec 11 with 1697 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I also wonder if she faced pressure from her employers and/or the British royal family. Poor thing.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 13:09 - Dec 11 with 1672 viewsNorthernr

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:30 - Dec 11 by RangersDave

Sorry Northern,

your missing the point by a large margin.

Taking the mic is something we all do. However, when you consistently do it, and then have your radio station doing is right up to and after the death was announced of this lady, then thats not taking the mic is it?

Firstly its self agrandisement of themselves, and you could argue, it becomes bullying by default if not letting it go.

This is where most would argue is the case.....they didnt let go, they carried on.....worldwide even past her time of death.

Then the full interview shows you what they actually think, not what they want you to think. I'd suggest you listen and come back to me on that if it changes your mind somewhat.

I've listened to and read all of their interviews and it doesn't change my mind.

A good post by A40 Bosh. My thoughts about this whole acute morning sickness thing was that it may well be more serious than that, so they should have considered that.

But I'd suggest the hospital tearing strips off her and threatening her job over the whole thing is more likely to have triggered the suicide than the actual experience of the call itself.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 13:11 - Dec 11 with 1661 viewsRangersw12

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:57 - Dec 11 by BrianMcCarthy

I also wonder if she faced pressure from her employers and/or the British royal family. Poor thing.

How is she a poor thing ?

She has left 2 kids a couple of weeks before Christmas FFS

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 13:15 - Dec 11 with 1648 viewsvodkasupper

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 11:34 - Dec 11 by WokingR

Sorry but got to disagree. When Steve Wright or Beadle done a prank the person was always let in on the joke at the end or before it was deemed to have been taken to far.

Unforeseen results is a get out for people who do not think, have no care for consequences or have any consideration for peoples feelings or circumstances.

Maybe if the DJ's in question phoned back and spoke to the nurse this tragedy could have been avoided instead of letting the joke run (No thought about the nurse's feelings following the call).

Putting a slightly different spin on this do we actually know (FACT) that it was the prank call that made the nurse commit suicide. Assumption is the mother of all fcuk ups!
Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 13:21 - Dec 11 with 1641 viewsHunterhoop

I'm with Northern on this.

You can only judge the DJs' actions by what they did, not what happened after the event for which they couldn't control.

There was a good comment piece in the Standard last night, which hit the nail on the head.

When the news story broke of the DJs impersonating the Queen and getting through to the nurse (before the poor girl committed suicide) what did people think??

Some may have sniggered, some may have found it amusing, some may have felt it a breach of security, some may have felt it stupid, some may have felt it a typical boring DJ game, etc, etc.

But all we can do, if we're fair, is judge their actions at that point. The following day, I didn't speak to or read anyone, anyway, laying into these DJs, hanging them out to dry, labelling them as awful, etc, etc. It was a side story to 'old Kate getting severe morning sickness (a story blown up by the media in the first place!).

The fact that a couple of days later the nurse in question committed suicide is terribly, terribly sad. It's a tragedy.

But there is no way in the world a radio station, the DJs, or anyone could have foreseen that or considered it might be the outcome. This type of DJ joke has bee done on every radio station for years. Sometimes they get through, sometimes they don't.

As has been mooted, this reeks of terrible man-management from the hospital. They would have quickly been made aware of the DJ thing. They could have easily foreseen how embarrassed and ashamed the nurse might be. They should have appreciated it wasn't really her fault and that any half decent practices would have ensured the DJs had never got through to her.

All of which should have led them to be extremely forgiving and caring to the nurse, support her publically and privately and try to 'nurse' her through this period.

Now, if they did that and she still committed suicide then we can only presume her mind was in such a fragile state that any number of actions, such as the DJ stunt, making her feel those feelings, could have led her to feel the need to take her own life.

However, I'd wager that the hospital did not manager her like that. I'd wager they were sh&t scrared of a rebuke from the Palace, gave her a dressing down, possibly publically, and massively worsened the situation when it came to her own state of mind.

On top of all this, with people suffering depression, it's rarely one single thing that causes them to feel that way, and, in some cases, commit suicide. It's a state of mind that you can very gradually fall into. That could be caused by minor events and issues over months and years. We have no idea whether she was suffering that.

To blame these Aussie DJs feels to me, a) wrong, b) misplaced and c) unnecessary. A tragedy has happened which was highly unlikely to be foreseen by anyone. There doesn't always need to be someone or something to blame. And, if you feel there should be a hunt for accountability, I'd suggest beginning with how the hospital managed her after the stunt and then how they managed her over the last couple of years.
Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 13:28 - Dec 11 with 1622 viewsVish

Aussie Radio admitting guilt? on 12:25 - Dec 11 by Northernr

i agree about questioning the hospital management. imo, she probably got a boll*cking from the hospital regarding reputation etc which led her to make the decision she made.

we've seen these types of pranks before on radio stations where people are left embarassed. its the support they get afterwards (or lack of it) which is the key.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024